Old 04-27-2011, 08:03 AM   #66
Xavi

How Do You Identify?:
Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Partnered!

Xavi Has the BEST ReputationXavi Has the BEST ReputationXavi Has the BEST ReputationXavi Has the BEST ReputationXavi Has the BEST ReputationXavi Has the BEST ReputationXavi Has the BEST ReputationXavi Has the BEST ReputationXavi Has the BEST ReputationXavi Has the BEST ReputationXavi Has the BEST Reputation

Word clouds are awesome, and really useful. I'm very visual, and those bring home to me in a super direct way the things that disturb me the most about how toys are gendered.

Ana and I have thought about how we would raise children and struggled a lot with trying to figure out how to raise kids in a way that would most enable them to organically and unafraid-ly (is that a word? I don't think so.) express their own identity. So far, I think green and yellow are really good primary colors for baby rooms and what not.

I don't have the links on hand, but I've read about adults identifying all babies and children as boys unless they have some sort of really obvious female or feminine constructed traits or accessories, like pink hair bows and clothing, or very long hair.

I think what I struggle with the most about this, aside from what would happen when my kids go to school and are exposed to lots of gender policing from adults and other kids, is that sort of gender essentialist phase that lots of kids seem to go through when they're somewhere in between toddlers and in junior high. I don't know if that's really a part of how young brains process and learn about sex and gender, or more about the things they learn from other people.

By gender essentialist phase, I mean that phase where a lot of female children decide they're fairy princesses because they're a girl and male children decide they're rambo because they're a boy. Obviously this has a lot to do with marketing as well, as the word clouds show. Mostly this all makes me want to get a degree in psychology or something before raising kids.
Xavi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Xavi For This Useful Post: