View Single Post
Old 04-04-2014, 02:23 PM   #312
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruTexan View Post
Hi Rockin,
I take Metformin 1 time a day of 500mg pill after breakfast. I get diarrhea from it so my doc also put me on Welchol 625mg which helps combat the diarrhea and also helps me with my sugar level too.
Diarrhea is a common side effect of Metformin. Here is a link to the web so you can read up on Metformin side effects and other things.

Metformin <<<<click the link for drug information.

I haven't had any of the side effects listed other than diarrhea. So, my Welchol is another diabetic drug that helps with that issue. I'm doing pretty well on it.

Your main goal is to cut out any sugars in your drinks and food, which includes food like potatoes and bread which are starches that turn to sugar when eaten and broken down. You should see a nutritionist if you aren't sure which of your foods turn to sugar, and they can help you remain on a diabetic diet, which you will need to do. I have pretty much stopped all foods that turned to sugar, except the occasional potatoes which I eat very small portions of when I do have them. If you can keep your blood sugar under control and remain on a diabetic diet, you will do fine I"m sure. Your body as you age tends to stop producing enough insulin from the pancreas to reduce the amount of blood sugar and A1C in your blood which lowers your overal sugar in your body. Please take heed to taking care of you feet, your body tends not to heal up very well because your immune system is now compromised....why diabetics don't heal well or tend to get infections in their feet and toes.
If you can keep your A1C down and your blood sugar levels within the range that is acceptable while using Metformin, then you will more than likely if not have to use Insulin shots. This is why it's so important to take care of yourself now that your diabetic. I hope you understand all that I'm saying to you.
I read up on things and asked my doc to explain things to me in layman's terms, and it helps me to understand also about my dad taking insulin shots. He's a full blown insulin dependent diabetic, which is taken after each meal for him. Insulin keeps his blood sugar and A1C under control most of the time. Right now he's dealing with the bottom of his large toe being infected and not healing, they have pretty much done everything possible to get it to heal, next step is surgery to explore why it's not healing and possible he will lose his large toe. I hope not though. Anywho, ask your doctor to refer you to a dietician to help you with your diabetic diet to get information about which foods you shouldn't eat,etc.

Remember to always eat something before you take your metformin, so your blood sugar levels don't drop too low on you and cause issues. You should always eat while taking this drug.
Read and follow the directions from your doctor about this medication, and read the drug insert pamplets about it. That way you know more also about the drug.

PS: right after you take your metformin, stay close to someplace with a bathroom as you may have diarrhea hit you, you're probably going to need one without warning..........just so you know.

I hope this helps.
Justy
Thanks Justy,I have enough gut problems cause of acid re flux now I may have more issues,how the heck dose anyone have an active life taking meds.I guess it's dam if you do and dam if you don't,I will get something to combat the diarrhea...so glad to have two bathrooms hear at home.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post: