Semantics

How Do You Identify?:
malapropist
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 4,023 Times in 1,209 Posts
Semantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST Reputation

Good for ideas.

Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric. -Bertrand Russell

Despite what Russell said, there are plenty of reasons to fear having an eccentric opinion.

Many scientists and philosophers were/are outcasts. Society can be stifling.

People are hesitant to offer ideas that are different or oppositional because of the potential effects on their careers, friendships, or how just how they're perceived in general.

Anonymity allows people to present ideas that without (with less) fear of backlash.

That said, to me there is a difference between the Rants and Raves section on Craigslist and a forum like this one.

True anonymity vs. pseudonymity.

Here we use pseudonymous identities, however, many of us have met in person, or talk on the phone, or are friends on Facebook where our real names are used.

I would say that there aren't many that are truly anonymous, and I think that makes us have some level of accountability.

I also almost always disagree with those who accuse that others on this site would "never say that in real life" or are hiding behind the anonymity of their online persona. I usually find the accused to be the most honest, direct, and the most willing to stand behind their ideas.
Semantics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Semantics For This Useful Post: