meridiantoo

How Do You Identify?:
A Speck in the Milky Way
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her, She
Relationship Status:
Monogamous relationship

Thanked 2,299 Times in 890 Posts
meridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dykeumentary View Post
A few thoughts:
Good rant!
I wish more people would get mad about injustice.
What the heck is "the LGBTQ community"? - (that's a theoretical question)
And I've made a commitment to only attend/go to events that are wheelchair accessible. That's just a small step- pun intended.

As a builder, I wish there was 'political will' around shelter justice the way there is around food justice. So sadly ironic when I pass all these "localvore" restaurants and stores that aren't accessible.
Ha! Thanks. I'm not sure if it was good, but better to be irate about injustice than indifferent. I figure if we all have our share of things we fight for, in the end, those injustices will be reversed - maybe not in our own lifetime, but eventually. Mostly, I think you have to try to live by example, and that is the hardest thing, for me it is.

I'm not sure if you mean theoretical and rhetorical, or just theoretical. We're a diverse group for sure, the LGBTQ community. I am by no means able to define it adequately. But, it just seems if you are going to fight for equality, as a person of a counter-culture, or a person of any difference than the norm, then you want equality for all. I have struggled with my own hypocracy in this area and still do at times. I grew up listening to the socio-political diatribes at the dinner table of my parents, etc. of the whys and hows of society and how things are, how they got to be the way they are. It taught me to want more, more from myself, more from others, more from society, and more from the world. Sometimes, you want in vain. But, sometimes not.

I can't understand the problem with ADA compliance either. I mean, I do, on some level. But, as you say, it's really disheartening at times to see when people who should make a difference choose not to. I like to think that people do try to, in their own ways, where and when they can. But, then you see basic things like grocery stores that are inaccessible and wonder what the solution is. America likes to boast of fighting for freedom, but at the end of the day, it seems a selective freedom. I would like to think we are evolving, but history makes me think we really aren't. It seems more of a horizontal switch.

That's a great commitment on your part@only going to accessible events. It's a small step, but a step nonetheless. I like to use buying power to make my small difference in the world too. I don't always do this, but I try to support local and families/individuals where possible.

Thanks for the response, and nice to meet you