ProfPacker

How Do You Identify?:
butch/MOC
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy/hym/hys but in circumstances like work and some other places she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 4,816 Times in 1,187 Posts
ProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST Reputation

not wanting to go into details but this relationship that I just left became more and more emotionally abusive as the years went on. As I try to remove myself from the dynamics the supposed change in the behavior would come but not for long. I grew up in a home with this type of abuse and was abused emotionally by my mother, so this felt all too familiar to me. I knew intellectually that I was destroying my life (shit, I studied the stuff) and was just about to leave when she said she wanted children. I did not feel like I could leave children in her care so I stayed. But, I did leave children in her care by the fact that she was their mother.

I left when I realized that staying was not "saving my kids" in fact I began to see them seeing me as the person that was contributing to the tension in the home. When I left, although they are conflicted about the change in family, it is such a relief to not have to protect them all the time from the rage. I have an entirely different relationship with my kids now. It is not perfect (nor will it ever be, nor would I want it to be) but we are calm, I am not brough tinto the fray by being told in front of them that I am a lousy parent, etc.

I have myself back and what I need to learn now is that it is my responsibility to not emotionally abuse myself anymore by gravitating towards those who would treat me like this.

It is a very treacherous place to be. No one should be blamed or blame themselves (as said above). If you leave and you feel their is danger, go to a local organization that can help you emotionally and legally and keep you safe.

If you are in NY State, they have the most comprehensive regulations. In NYS dv victims are a protected class, so that an employer does not have the right to know why you are taking off and if you do tell them you are a dv victim there are many safe guards to protect livelyhood, insurance and safety.

NYS OPV
ProfPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to ProfPacker For This Useful Post: