View Single Post
Old 11-11-2009, 11:53 AM   #66
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinker View Post
Neither of my parents are alive and weren't when I started my transition.

I have a large number of siblings and loads of nieces and nephews, etc... While I know in my heart of hearts that many of them had certain feelings of not understanding, all have shown (at least to *me*) acceptance and love.

I have not shared real-time space with my family since I started T (mostly because I'm not real big on flying), but I share photos. Not much is said; the few comments I've heard are mostly along the lines of "you look really good".

I know it's hard for them and that they struggle with just how to celebrate/acknowledge/question the physical changes. They're loving and respectful, and I appreciate that.
I don't know how I'm going to handle mine. None of them has a clue about gender transition or reassignment. I got in a fist fight with my uncle who called me every name in the book and then some as we rolled on the floor fighting. My father disowned me briefly until we reconciled this past year. This was just because I was gay—can you imagine the response to reassignment?

On the other hand, my aunt was way cool about me telling her I was transgendered. But to physically change is another matter entirely. My mother is dead and my dad is really aging. My entire extended family knows I'm gay, and there are many of them. I came out to my best friends and the idea of being male didn't surprise them at all. I don't need top surgery other than keyhole. I've never had to bind or anything like that, and I'm grateful.

I think its going to be imperative to join support groups as well as therapy.

I still want to leave the question open here on the thread as well as, does your work know?
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote