Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,618 Times in 1,559 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_boi View Post
About two years ago I was in an accident. No one was seriously hurt but it was really scary.

I am afraid to ride in a car on the freeway. (I'm a passenger, I never have driven a car) Every time I try I end up having to just take the next exit because I panic so bad. The only time I get on the freeways is when I am on a bus. I can deal with bus/walking/non freeway riding. It is really bothering me because I can't go a lot of places or meet up with alot of my friends. IDK what to do anymore.
I understand. Very well.
I was in a very bad car accident 2 years ago, as well.
My emotional recovery took much longer than my physical.

The majority of the coping skills and techniques I've acquired enable me to drive, rather than be a passenger. I'm rarely a passenger. But...when I am these are some of the things that help:

First, I let the driver know about my anxiety and the ways in which I deal with it. And that I am not a great conversationalist in the car because of my anxiety.

I find I do much better if I sit in the back seat.

I always have water with me, I consciously remind myself to keep drinking it.
I remind myself to breathe. Consciously remind myself, whenever I feel panic rising.
I find things to distract myself - I read maps or books - or listen to NPR - something that engages my mind.
And when my anxiety level decreases, I try to lay my head back and close my eyes. I can't sleep in the car, I'm never relaxed enough for that now; but I can usually get to a point where I can rest with my eyes closed, listening to music with earphones helps when I am at this point.

If you have access to health insurance and it covers behavioural health, I would strongly recommend you find a therapist who specializes in EMDR (resource link below).

I have a therapist friend who specializes in EMDR, and one session helped to bring my daily anxiety down to a level that I was able to better cope with regular highway driving. I would love to go through the complete process.

http://www.emdrnetwork.org/
Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sparkle For This Useful Post: