Old 03-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #75
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshaman View Post
It is a tricky thing to question 'the authority' in a situation like that. I do not know the ins and outs of what makes a person a 'fly risk'. Or what makes a person suspicious. Or even how far can a bad attitude be taken, can an agents poor mood affect my ability to fly that day? Is there a process to realistically appeal within the time frame of being stopped and your flight leaving?

Sometimes I think it is easier to get frustrated than risk the flight.

This is absolutely true, and I know there are some pretty bad TSA agents out there....but I've never had a bad experience....and your post made me think of one of the better ones.

It was the first time my son had flown unaccompanied, and I was nervous as can be. He was just barely 13.

I got a gate pass to meet him at the gate, at Orlando....which can have annoying and ridiculous security lines at times and then be empty at others. I planned for plenty of time (I'm always early at the airport), but hit bad traffic and rain on the way, then a long line at the counter to get my gate pass, and then a gigantic line at security.

Then, I see the arrivals board....my son's flight got a tail wind evidently, and is arriving half an hour early.

I have visions of him wandering off the plane, me not there to meet him, and him on his own at the age of 13 in a very large airport.

Naturally, I was anxious and stressed.

I'm sure I exhibited all the signs of a potential problem....impatient, antsy, muttering to myself, visibly agitated. In fact, a female TSA agent approached me and asked me what was wrong. Clearly, this wasn't casual conversation....at this point I was a potential security risk.

I explained my dilemma.

She nodded, and said if I would agree to the backscatter she would get me through quickly so I could meet him at the gate.

I agreed.

She was good to her word - pulling me from the line and sending me through an employee line with a detour to the backscatter machine.

I ran from the other side....arriving just in time to meet him.

I think we need to remember that TSA agents are human...good and bad. If we approach them the way we'd like to be approached, with respect, it generally turns out better.