sylvie

How Do You Identify?:
Mr Mtn's babygirl
Preferred Pronoun?:
girly, she
Relationship Status:
fiercely protected ♥

Thanked 7,501 Times in 1,850 Posts
sylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
In what ways have you treated or will you treat your children differently from the way you were treated?
great topic Blade, i've been wanting to answer this for awhile, just haven't found the time to sit and respond like i wanted to..

my parenting experience is completely different from the way i was raised. my father is an alcoholic and was very absent from my childhood because of this.. even when i was with him, he wasn't 'there'.. my mother - was a very angry individual who did not like being a Mom, whatsoever.. i was always fending for myself, taking care of me the best way i could and grew up very lonely & feeling unprotected..

my parents broke up when i was 8 years old, which if things weren't bad enough before that they got increasingly worse by living with my mother.. She began going to bars, having boyfriends & i became a last priority in her life for a very long while. i have some major anger issues towards her for things that happened through my life and she failed to protect me for (which i have difficulty talking about coupled with the fact i'm very private..) - so i won't go on about those here..they're things i am working on, daily though..

i will say though, my aunt (godmother) would rescue me for weeks at a time during summer months each year to give me a sense of normal in my life, and i grew very fond of her and my 2 cousins who i continue to be close with today - my godmother unfortuneately passed away in 2000, but i credit her with my strong morals, my easygoing personality and anything good in my upbringing because she was indeed the most beautiful soul i know...she taught me about loving & being loved, what it felt like to matter , and i think my morals are so strong because of how wonderful her family unit felt, the strength in that and the caring & love they all showed one another.. the support was overwhelming..

my parents, to this day don't tell me they love me .. i have said i loved them a number of times through life (when i was younger), to which i got a blank stare.. i do love them.. i'm angry still about things, and some things i can't forgive, but i love them.. and i choose to let go of some things for my own well being (but not forget).. i struggle within myself, and seek ways to heal my inner being daily, and don't feel the need to lash that out on them or anyone.. i just want everyone well & happy.. i am content that i get some form of attention from them now (positive attention).. isn't always positive, but i try weeding through that.. i just work on keeping myself well, emotionally & physically now, instead ...

my mother, in the last few years has apologized and wants a relationship with me, which i accept.. (it surprised me that i would..) i have always fought for the attention of my parents.. but, it's also awkward and isn't what you would call a close relationship, but she's good to my children, and that makes it worthwhile.. that they don't know my mother the way i do..

With all of that said, i vowed through life, that when i had children, i would always be there for them, be their voice when they couldn't.. protect them, and let them know that i'm one being in their world they can always, ALWAYS count on to love them, with every bit of my heart and soul.. And that is what i have lived by, in raising them.

Quote:

If you've already raised children and could do it again knowing what you know now, what would you do differently?
i don't think i would do anything differently.. i am not a perfect parent, and i've made many mistakes along the way, but it not only helped me grow as an individual, but also my children too.. Together as a family unit, we are so strong.. i know i have put my absolute ALL into ensuring these 2 children are loved, protected and encouraged to do their best at all times.. They've strong morals, and have grown into responsible, beautiful individuals who are open minded, so loving and compassionate to all human kind no matter race, gender, size, etc.. i couldn't be any prouder than i am today, as a mother and although i would LOVE the experience to go back and parent again - it wouldn't be because i felt i needed to change anything but simply because i'm feeling empty nest coming on some and i miss those lil darlings who held my hand to cross the street and smiled at me through foodstained smiles..

Parenting used to be something i was always scared to fail.. i think because my parents (i felt) failed me often..But i realized over time, it's almost impossible to fail your children so long as you love them from the depths of your soul, let them know that you are there for them, for ANYthing, always and keep striving to show them the path of good, responsible decisions.. They won't always choose that path, but learning life's lessons is necessary for everyone but i'll always be by their side helping them find their way back...

i try not to ever regret decisions i make.. and although i'm not a perfect parent, we work through the problems as a family and take the lesson

Quote:
Did you continue on with anything that your parents did?
No.. but, a lot of my parenting comes from my godmother, Irene.. (RIP).. That woman adored life, saw beauty in the smallest things.. She was an artist, she was big on family, loved her friends dearly and was always well mannered, honest, soft spoken and VERY caring to anyone & everyone in her path.

So, these have been lessons i've passed on t o my children.. to be kind to all those in their path, the importance of family, being well mannered and responsible, authentic.. honest... And though sometimes my children throw me lil curveballs to keep me on my toes and stress me over decisions they've made, in talking with them about their actions (we always communicate things soo thoroughly).. i always feel their morals, and strengths and gentle selves shine through..

i know i've written a book here, i'm passionate about my children and their well being! thanks again for a great topic Blade! ♥

my facebook weight loss page:
http://www.facebook.com/asyllyjourney
sylvie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sylvie For This Useful Post: