Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 05-26-2012, 08:24 AM   #1
G Snap!

How Do You Identify?:
gay. I'm very happy, thank you!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Miss
Relationship Status:
Chefhmboyrd's seeing eye blonde

Thanked 1,109 Times in 229 Posts
G Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Corseting

I would like to start a thread regarding corsets & corseting. I would love to hear from anyone who practices corseting on a daily basis as well as those who wear them on special ocassions.

I would like to invest in a well made corset. I do not want an off the rack pre made corset, or particularly care to hear about yours, unless you consider it a well made garment and a worthy investment. I hate to be a little snippy about this, but I can buy a premade inexpensive corset today, but they are all made for smaller figures without any boobs. I need something for a curvier figure and the off the rack items aren't for us full-figured curvy gals.

I have done a little research on the internet (since I am not finding anyone here in centrtal TN who makes them) and there are a few options out there as far as measuring yourself and having one made. I admit I am hesitant to hand over several hundred dollars to make this happen so I would like to hear your experience if you have done this. And if it was a good experience, please do tell me where you got your corset!
G Snap! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to G Snap! For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2012, 08:29 AM   #2
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Red face Love her!

Ms Martha

http://www.corset1.com/
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,618 Times in 1,559 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation

You're very right not to buy something off the rack. It won't be cheap (even shite mass produced corsets are pricey) and it won't fit (no matter what body type you have).

You definitely want something bespoke.
You definitely want someone with a great reputation.
And ideally you'll find someone close enough that you can get to their studio/workshop/shop to have at least one fitting.

Oh and don't do your own measurements, when you do your own measurements you have to bend and move your body in ways which skew the measurement. Find someone to help you and then do each measurement 3x (write each time down so you can see how consistent you're being) OR just go to a local seamstress and have them measure you.

I'm rather fond of Stormy Leather's work in San Francisco.

/NOT work safe

http://www.stormyleather.com/subcatm...324&1=325&2=-1

Where ever you decide to go, it will be expensive, and deservedly so - making corsets is REALLY detailed and difficult work.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #4
thedivahrrrself

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Sapiosexual Femme
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Grumpy Cat

1 Highscore
Tournaments Won: 4

Thanked 11,662 Times in 2,292 Posts
thedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I have a normal, traditional, "underwear" (wear as a bra) corset with the strings running down the back. However, I am short, and VERY short-waisted, with a small waist and big hips, so my corset does fine as long as I am standing. Once I sit, though, the hips try to pop up on me.

I have also been thinking about having one made for me. Does Ms. Martha make custom corsets? I saw "sizes" on her site.

Does anyone know about how much a custom runs? Are there any other short waisted people out there who might have some suggestions?
thedivahrrrself is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedivahrrrself For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #5
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:

The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Arrow .....

A custom made to size should run around $600.00 with good boning. I had Martha measure me that's how we picked my corsets after, I've another custom made it was $800.00.

It's not a cheap hobby.
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
pajama

How Do You Identify?:
Klingon
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 7,480 Times in 1,809 Posts
pajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Lady_Snow View Post
OMG G! She has a camo one!!!!!!
pajama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pajama For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
G Snap!

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Miss
Relationship Status:

G Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Ms Martha looks perfect, plus she's in Atlanta, a reasonable drive for me. Thank you The Lady Snow!

I would rather pay $600 for something I could wear and love, rather than +- $100 for something I would wear one time and then it would find its way to the bottom of the closet. I learned this with bras and shoes.

I've oogled The Stockroom corsets for a little while now. *sigh* All the good stuff is in San Fransisco.

So far so good ladies! Thank you, keep the info coming...!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to G Snap! For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2012, 09:54 AM   #8
G Snap!

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Miss
Relationship Status:

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajara View Post
Oh yeah!

Check these out...

http://www.tacticalcorsets.com/

I emailed them, it looks like they went big 2 years ago then no activity. And this is right up my alley...
Old 05-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #9
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,618 Times in 1,559 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedivahrrrself View Post
I have a normal, traditional, "underwear" (wear as a bra) corset with the strings running down the back. However, I am short, and VERY short-waisted, with a small waist and big hips, so my corset does fine as long as I am standing. Once I sit, though, the hips try to pop up on me.

I have also been thinking about having one made for me. Does Ms. Martha make custom corsets? I saw "sizes" on her site.

Does anyone know about how much a custom runs? Are there any other short waisted people out there who might have some suggestions?
I have similar problems - I'm really short and really short-waisted too (I hate it). Bespoke corsets are really best for us, so that they are custom cut to visually lengthen our waist AND fall in the right place on the hip (so they don't turn up or inhibit movement).

Is your corset long-lined? (does it go over your hips?) or is it above the hips and just long on you? I prefer the look of a longer line corset on me because it balances out my short-waistedness, but I don't like that they inhibit my movement at my hips.

Custom corsets will range between $400 to well over $1000+ depending on what they are made of (leather on the high end of the spectrum) and just "how custom" they are. Most places will have standard patterns for different sizes which will then be modified slightly to your measurements. And this is a good option, it is customized and it is handmade and it is worth the $$$'s.

But if you want a truly custom corset, one that is built bespoke to your measurements, it will be on the higher end of the spectrum and it will SO be worth it. You'll be measured six ways to Sunday and the process should include a muslin mock-up of your corset and at least one fitting where the designer/craftspeople will further customize the pattern - adjusting seam lines, neckline, hems and panels so that they fall perfectly for YOUR shape.

If you take care of your corset very well - it is a piece that will be in your wardrobe for 20+years. <---justification.

I have enormous respect for the people that do this type of design and tailoring, it is incredibly fiddly, mathematical and minutely detailed work, it is high-art in the realm of garment construction.

I bloody HATED making corsets. I am neither precise nor patient.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #10
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:

Red face And the under bust camo is HOT too

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajara View Post
Ms Marthas corsets are great! They have nice boning and her material ones are just as sturdy as the leather.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #11
Lady_Di

How Do You Identify?:
Homo sapien

Thanked 1,486 Times in 315 Posts
Lady_Di Has the BEST ReputationLady_Di Has the BEST ReputationLady_Di Has the BEST ReputationLady_Di Has the BEST ReputationLady_Di Has the BEST ReputationLady_Di Has the BEST ReputationLady_Di Has the BEST ReputationLady_Di Has the BEST ReputationLady_Di Has the BEST ReputationLady_Di Has the BEST ReputationLady_Di Has the BEST Reputation

With my background of costuming and what not, I preferred to study up on all things historical when it comes to corsets. Making a custom dressmakers form, of exactly what your/my body is gives me many options to play with. Just need one person to help make the mold and there are several ways to do just that. I think I saw a you tube of two grrrls making one with duck tape and a few odd items. Like making two turtle shells and then combining the two into the permanent form. I suppose we are limited only by our imaginations, as usual.

My body also changes a lot, so making it adjustable is something important to me. My mother had an adjustable dress makers form for a perfect size twelve, which could be tweaked here and there. I am not 36-24-36 like she was, but she wasn't always exactly that all the time either, change is inevitable. One of the coolest things about a corset is you can tighten up as necessary. Undergarments of the ancient times, a true passion of mine. History of clothing, how they made em and what not.

My challenge in this next year is to make my own form, now that I am closing in on what I hope is my stable and healthy weight. This is a challenge I am up for and excited about. I am heading back to the theatre and SCA folks I know best and the costumers I know damned well. So a custom corset for me will be part of this fun new chapter of sewing fun. I always prefer custom, don't really cotton much to anything off the shelf much. One of the main reasons I hate shopping so damned much. Once you have custom anything, going back to store bought is hard.
Lady_Di is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lady_Di For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #12
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,791 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

Bump this thread!

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #13
LaneyDoll

How Do You Identify?:
Girly girl femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She; Ma'am; Miss ;)
Relationship Status:
Pitbull protected.

Thanked 7,686 Times in 1,608 Posts
LaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST Reputation

Ms Martha makes wonderful corsets. It is my understanding that you can get fitted by her at con-type events. As such, if anything is close to your area, she may be there as well.

Sometimes you can get measured at a Ren Faire. There are almost corset makers there with tons of them for sale. Sometimes they are mass produced and sometimes they are not; if not the maker may be present and may be willing to do a custom order.

I have never owned a custom corset; I cannot afford one and cannot justify the expense when I have things more demanding of my financial attention. But I do have two leather corsets that were presented to me by my training house. I also have three leather ones that I ordered but am very happy with. I picked them up for a song overseas and wish the company was still around.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:55 PM   #14
laruss

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She or Goddess
Relationship Status:
Settled in

Thanked 5,328 Times in 1,045 Posts
laruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputation

Our local annual 'Taboo Sex Show' and the Tattoo Show both have people who come out with samples and do fittings for custom made corsets. Check out some of the Shows/Conventions/Fairs etc.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to laruss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2012, 06:53 AM   #15
Dance-with-me

How Do You Identify?:
Femme

Thanked 1,926 Times in 378 Posts
Dance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST Reputation

I absolutely LOVE this woman's work: http://www.wildehunt.com/

Her work is all completely custom, all leather, and start at $400 for an underbust and $600 for an overbust corset, which are actually very good prices for custom work.

If you're on facebook, you can also get a regular corset fix from her at https://www.facebook.com/wilde.hunt.corsetry.
Dance-with-me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dance-with-me For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2012, 08:22 AM   #16
Artdecogoddess

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She - but read me however!
Relationship Status:
Blissfull!

Artdecogoddess Has the BEST ReputationArtdecogoddess Has the BEST ReputationArtdecogoddess Has the BEST ReputationArtdecogoddess Has the BEST ReputationArtdecogoddess Has the BEST ReputationArtdecogoddess Has the BEST ReputationArtdecogoddess Has the BEST ReputationArtdecogoddess Has the BEST ReputationArtdecogoddess Has the BEST ReputationArtdecogoddess Has the BEST ReputationArtdecogoddess Has the BEST Reputation

Etsy has many many seamstresses on-line that can make you almost anything you want - I think the prices are incredibly reasonable. My friends that have bought corsets and underbusts - have LOVED them

ADG

[
Responsibility to yourself means refusing to let others do your thinking, talking, and naming for you...it means that you do not treat your body as a commodity with which to purchase superficial intimacy or economic security; for our bodies to be treated as objects, our minds are in mortal danger. It means insisting that those to whom you give your friendship and love are able to respect your mind. It means being able to say, with Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre: "I have an inward treasure born with me, which can keep me alive if all the extraneous delights should be withheld or offered only at a price I cannot afford to give.

Responsibility to yourself means that you don't fall for shallow and easy solutions--predigested books and ideas...marrying early as an escape from real decisions, getting pregnant as an evasion of already existing problems. It means that you refuse to sell your talents and aspirations short...and this, in turn, means resisting the forces in society which say that women should be nice, play safe, have low professional expectations, drown in love and forget about work, live through others, and stay in the places assigned to us. It means that we insist on a life of meaningful work, insist that work be as meaningful as love and friendship in our lives. It means, therefore, the courage to be "different"...The difference between a life lived actively, and a life of passive drifting and dispersal of energies, is an immense difference. Once we begin to feel committed to our lives, responsible to ourselves, we can never again be satisfied with the old, passive way."

Adrienne Rich
Artdecogoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #17
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,791 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

I bought my first corset and it got delivered yesterday.

I truly love it.

I got at Corset Story.com and to me, a novice, besides being beautiful, it seems like the real deal. The selection and prices seem excellent to me as I have shopped for a while.

I tried it on last night. I left it laced in the back, made sure the modesty panel was closed first and closed the front while lying on the couch as it was too hard to do it standing up.

Then, I tried to stand up in it but because of the inflexible stays, I couldn't sit up first. I had to kind of throw myself into a standing position without bending from the waist.

if I have to be throwing myself on the bed in order to lie down, it kind of defeats the purpose of trying to look sexy for the surprise I planned for my GF.

Any corset-wearers that have experience with this? Any tips? Might it be too long for the shorty that I am? Do I just need to practice?

Thanks, in advance!

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #18
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

Did I miss it, or has no one mentioned Dark Garden?
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2013, 03:21 PM   #19
Daktari

If you want the real tight-laced corset experience, get a gaggle of femmes who're used to wearing them, to lace ya up. I've seen such a scenario many times and those 'helpful' femmes are fookin' heeeevil!

Rather you than me!
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #20
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Thanked 8,994 Times in 2,249 Posts
Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
Did I miss it, or has no one mentioned Dark Garden?
OMG I love them. They have been around a long time and some of the custom work is truly amazing.

Personally I'm not into wearing them and hate being constricted, however I'd put a subby in one in a heart beat. I think they are sexy as hell.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sachita For This Useful Post: