Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 09-11-2010, 01:37 AM   #1
Gayla
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky Butch Top
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm not picky
Relationship Status:
She makes me dance like a fool and forget how to breathe.

Thanked 7,078 Times in 1,966 Posts
Gayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST Reputation
Default Where Were You Nine Years Ago Today?

This seems to be the recurring theme today on most of the sites I visit. Figured it would be a good one to have here, too. So where were you?

This is a copy of my "Where I Was" story from a blog post.

----------------------------------------------------

Nine year's ago today, I was a couple of hours into a night shift at my job. It was a quiet, uneventful and completely forgetable kind of night. At the end of my shift, I headed home. Got the girls ready for school and on the bus. Cleaned up the kitchen, started the dishwasher and headed to bed.

An hour later, my partner threw open the bedroom door and woke me out of a sound sleep saying something about how the country was under attack. Not really understanding what she was talking about, I reached over for the remote and turned the TV on just in time to see the second tower hit.

I got up and we went back to the living room and just sat there, quietly, holding hands as we watched the events of that morning unfold. I will never forgot how quiet it was in our house that morning. There was no traffic on the street or neighbors stopping by for coffee. Even the dogs were laying quietly on the living room floor.

Shortly after the towers fell, she decided to go get the girls out of school. I turned the computers on and found one local NYC station that was streaming live on the Web. I think I had CNN streaming on the other computer and we had one of the networks on the TV.

I left the house once in the next week. It was that same morning. After Cindy got the girls home from school, we realized that we were out of milk. I walked out to the garage to get in the truck to go to the store and I saw our American flag sitting on a shelf in the corner of the garage. We put that flag up for 4th of July and maybe Memorial Day if I remembered to do it, but other than that, it just stayed on that shelf. I took it down, shook it out a little and stuck it in the holder on the corner of the house. I don't think there was much of a breeze that day but I swear it waved in the wind.

As I drove through our neighborhood, I noticed a number of flags already flying. I also noticed that the streets were empty. When I pulled up at our little corner store, the front door was open but I was the only customer. The woman behind the counter, Dee, whom I saw most every day when I stopped for coffee or a newspaper or a lottery ticket, was sitting on a stool watching a little black and white TV. I grabbed a gallon of milk out of the cooler and walked back up to the counter.

I asked her why she was even open today and she said that if she didn't keep the store open she would just be at home, by herself, watching TV. She didn't want to be alone. I paid for my milk and told to come over when she closed the store later that day.

Turns out we knew a few folks that didn't want to be alone and by early evening we had a half dozen or so friends and family sitting in our living room. There wasn't much talking. There was a good bit of crying. And there was a lot of hugging and hand holding.

For the next week, I barely tore myself away from the TV. Like most everyone else, I didn't really know what this meant for our country, for my family, for me. I couldn't imagine things ever being normal again. I wasn't sure a day would come where I would turn the TV off and go back to an ordinary life, much less do something like get on an airplane.

But things did get back to normal in some ways. There were jobs to go to and kids to raise and grass to mow and all those ordinary things that come with an ordinary life. Nine years later, it's more ordinary then ever. The job is different and the kids don't need help getting on the bus anymore. The grass still grows. The politicians are still arguing with each other and the preachers are still preaching their versions of the right word.

And that flag is still waving in the wind out there on the corner of the house.
Gayla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gayla For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2010, 01:48 AM   #2
SFFemmePrincess

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Lesbian Princess
Preferred Pronoun?:
Female Pronouns
Relationship Status:
Single but also non negotiably non monogamous

SFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST Reputation

Nine years ago today I was sleeping in my room in my parents house. My mother came in and woke me up and said something about an explosion in New York. We turned on the TV and just stared in disbelieve as the second plane hit. I decided that moment not to go to class. It was my first semester of college. My best friend and her girlfriend came over. I became a news junkie that day, constantly watching the news for weeks.
SFFemmePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SFFemmePrincess For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2010, 07:03 AM   #3
cuddlyfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Stone Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
her/she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,270 Posts
cuddlyfemme Has the BEST Reputationcuddlyfemme Has the BEST Reputationcuddlyfemme Has the BEST Reputationcuddlyfemme Has the BEST Reputationcuddlyfemme Has the BEST Reputationcuddlyfemme Has the BEST Reputationcuddlyfemme Has the BEST Reputationcuddlyfemme Has the BEST Reputationcuddlyfemme Has the BEST Reputationcuddlyfemme Has the BEST Reputationcuddlyfemme Has the BEST Reputation

I was getting ready to go to the Mall right across from the Pentagon when a friend called me and told me the sad news. The rest of the day, I sat in front of my tv in shock. Because I lived in DC, phone lines were cut off and family and friends couldn't call to make sure I was alright. Later that night I was on the phone with my friend, Karen who lives in NYC and we both sat on the phone and cried
cuddlyfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cuddlyfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2010, 07:36 AM   #4
SnackTime

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
UNattainable

2 Highscores

Thanked 13,229 Times in 2,884 Posts
SnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST Reputation

Nine years ago today, I was in downtown Nashville. As I walked to my car, I saw several people exiting one of the state buildings. I heard someone yell something about a bomb threat. I did not think anything of it. I got in my car and the radio was blaring and all I could hear the people screaming (on the radio). I sat there in my car trying to figure out what they were saying. I finally made out the words, "the towers are on fire". I got on the interstate and went home while listening to the radio. I was in shock as I heard the reporters on the radio. When I walked into my home, the first thing I did was turn on the television and computer. I was glued to the television for days. The company I worked for at the time closed for a few days, as we had a store in the basement of the one tower. I remember spending time on the "dash" site as we ALL watched together.

I will NEVER forget that day!
SnackTime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SnackTime For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2010, 08:03 AM   #5
Julie

How Do You Identify?:
Angel * Femme * Lesbian * Girl * Woman * Slut * Bitch *
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
No longer a Virgin Bride to Dreamer ~ May 17th, 2014

Thanked 18,159 Times in 3,632 Posts
Julie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I live an hour north of the city, on the Hudson River. My boys were at school and I was beginning my day working (from home). It was the first and only time I did not take my father for his Chemo appointment in the city. I had the television on, and what felt like a movie at the time, was playing over and over again - the repeat of the first towers being hit, and then the second towers. I had friends who worked in the towers, and old clients. I was simply numb, as all of us were around the world.

Our cell phones would not work for hours - Our telephones were down. They would not let us get our children from school at that moment. By evening, our phones were working and Islamaphobia was beginning. Friends of mine in the Muslim community were being hurt, both physically and emotionally. Nobody was safe on that day and for days and months and years to follow.

While the streets were being lined with American Flags, by those who could care less about their fellow neighbors on any other day - were holding hands and vigils. Candles burned at every doorstep. Still on that day, I was ashamed to be an American, and I was ashamed to hang an American Flag - In fact, I did not own one. I still do not own one. We were hypocrites.. All of us! We loved one another for a few days, until it was forgotten.

I think what makes me saddest about the events, beside the thousands of lives which were taken... The lack of respect for humanity. That we have learned NOTHING from this, that we do not honor those who lost their lives... We continue to mock them, by slandering those who are innocent as well - Our Muslim brothers and sisters.

What have we learned? Sadly... Nothing! We continue to perpetuate the violence and ignite the fires, in the name of those who lost their lives.

I am still there, sitting in front of my television, nine years ago today. And I send my love and prayers for those who lost their lives and to those of us who are still living.

Julie

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps4d9fb6c0.jpg

I Love You ~ I Love Us
May 17, 2014
Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Julie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2010, 08:13 AM   #6
pajama

How Do You Identify?:
Klingon
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 7,480 Times in 1,809 Posts
pajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputation
Default My story is a little different....

While I morn the loss of so many people. And the chaos that it has thrown this world in. 9/11/01 for our family is a celebration day. Why?

Nine years ago today, we were in Vanderbilt Childrens Hospital. The Boy had been diagnosed with a sizeable brain tumor the week before that had to be removed quickly. So he was scheduled for brain surgery on 9/11/01. We spent most of the morning in our pre-surgery room getting tested, proded, taught about surgery, etc, etc. When they finally rolled him away to surgery, that's when we finally turned the tv on to help distract us from our fear and pain.

As the tv came to life we were bombarded with pictures of dust and rubble, and the announcer talking about a tower in New York. We were like...WTF?!?! Then within seconds, the second tower collapsed. We looked on in shock, compounded by our delicate state already.

That was a crazy week for me. The Boy spent 4 days in ICU (a week total in the hospital), we celebrated his 6th birthday in ICU, and we found out about ALLLL the changes we would learn to live with over the years, and there was absolutely NOTHING on the tv to watch except the towers and the president.

So while I can sympasize with so many who lost loved ones. This mother was not one of them that day. And for that I continue to give thanks and celebrate this day as the day my baby was saved.
pajama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pajama For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2010, 09:33 AM   #7
Liam

How Do You Identify?:
Guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His

Thanked 6,911 Times in 1,862 Posts
Liam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST Reputation

I was in Portland, OR and I called my Mom to say goodbye, because I thought surely the world would come to an end that day.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Liam For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2010, 09:42 AM   #8
theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

Thanked 9,885 Times in 2,481 Posts
theoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I was here in Vegas with my former partner. I remember getting up to go to the bathroom, first thing, and getting stuck "on the throne" with no t-paper. I called to Jan to ask her to hand me a new roll when I heard her yell, "Hey, we're under attack!!". I kept saying, "Gimme some t-paper!! WHAT??!!".

(I think I went drip-dry).

Here, in Vegas, they evacuated the Stratosphere tower, they locked down all areas of Nellis AFB, including the hospital where I work. McCarran International Airport was grounded and Nellis was scrambling its fighter aircraft over the skies of Las Vegas and Boulder City, where Hoover Dam is. Hoover Dam provides a good share of the electricity that not only powers Southern Nevada, but also Southern California with all of its military facilities.

~Theo~
Old 09-11-2010, 10:05 AM   #9
nowandthen

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
S/he
Relationship Status:
In a realationship with my PhD. Dissertation work for the next 3 years

nowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputation
Default I was

home in Oakland where It was the day after my cancer surgery. We found out that our friend, father, husband was on flight 93 and we all went and chanted at the ashram. We were a tight community on our street, almost all of us attended the Ashram on the corner, many had friends in NYC as I did and we prayed for all of us..

" It's a Kind of testing, The kind of testing that spiritual warriors need in order to awaken their Heart" PC
nowandthen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nowandthen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2010, 10:16 AM   #10
diamondrose

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,895 Times in 923 Posts
diamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputation

I was just starting my day at work. I worked at a grooming shop. I was 17 years old. Some of the dogs were staying over night so We were loading animals up in the van that were to be transported to the boarding area. One of my co workers said to me " The Pentagon was attacked" and I thought oh thats terrible.. Not even beginning to realize just how tragic the day was really going to be.
diamondrose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to diamondrose For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2010, 12:56 PM   #11
o222Good

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Married

o222Good Has the BEST Reputationo222Good Has the BEST Reputationo222Good Has the BEST Reputationo222Good Has the BEST Reputationo222Good Has the BEST Reputationo222Good Has the BEST Reputationo222Good Has the BEST Reputationo222Good Has the BEST Reputationo222Good Has the BEST Reputationo222Good Has the BEST Reputationo222Good Has the BEST Reputation

I was in my classroom. No kids were there at the time. The announcement came over the PA that a plane hit the WTC. When they realized it was an attack, teachers were told to keep the kids in their classrooms. I happened to have cable in the classroom for a Kidz News project. I watched the whole thing. It was surreal. Seeing people jump. Hearing people who were trapped above the planes and could not get out. Realizing there would be no survivors. It was so horrible. My son, in school about 20 miles north of the city, wasn't allowed to go home because they didn't know if I was okay.

Driving home was tough. All streets were closed in Manhattan, except Broadway, which was lined with police and military. All buses out of the city were canceled and no one was allowed to walk across bridges or tunnels. When I got to the George Washington Bridge, the streets and sidewalks were teaming with people trying to leave the city. Everyone was beating on windows and windshields pleading to take them across the bridge. It was terrifying! If I wasn't alone, I would have taken some. I was so afraid of getting carjacked. I felt very guilty about that, but eventually everyone got home. My priority was getting my son.

It was such a sad, horrible day. That night, the apartment under me was having a loud, joyous celebration. They were Egyptian Muslims. I just couldn't believe it. Maybe it was for something else.
o222Good is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to o222Good For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2010, 01:52 PM   #12
turasultana

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
spoken for

turasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputation

i got to work on 57th and 11th and saw i already had a message. My partner at the time had left a message saying a plane hit the world trade center. i envisioned a prop plane or something little, called him back and he said another one just hit. I thought holy shit we're under attack.

Tried to look online but couldn't get thru to any news sites, no tv in the office, we went to the roof and took turns looking downtown at the towers thru binoculars and saw a big hole in the side of the tower with flames coming out. We gathered round a radio just in time to hear them screaming "the tower is coming down." we were in shock. No one know whether to stay put or head home. I headed home.

Home was downtown manhattan, lower east side. I tried a bus - they didn't charge, made it to 2nd ave and wanted to switch to the 2nd ave bus. there was a car parked at the bus stop at an angle and we were convinced it was going to blow up. A bus came, I got on it. Went by the hospitals on 2nd ave, all gurneys and doctors lined up outside - no patients though - they were just standing, waiting. Lines of people already offering to give blood. Bus didn't move much so in the 20's, near the police academy - jumped out - i believe the mayor was there - it was totally crazy with cops.

Had no choice but to walk the 20+ blocks home - 2nd ave at that point was pedestrian only - everyone heading uptown toward me. People telling me i was going the wrong way, but home was that way. People coming toward me were in shock, many covered in ash. white ghosts. by the churches folks were handing out cups of water. I still hadn't seen any images of the towers.

finally got home - a couple people who had gotten stranded in the city were already there - we watched the news and saw the videos of the towers fall over and over. went to my roof and watched the smoke - i live maybe a mile away. it stunk. the wind had pushed most of the smoke toward brooklyn that day so it wasn't until the next day or so that the smoke hit us - my apartment stunk for a month or more. The air was hard to breathe for a week or so. there were flyers all over my neighborhood for ages with "missing" people.

every morning the ritual was go to the roof with the morning coffee and look at where the towers used to be. Mostly you just saw plumes of smoke, but we knew there was nothing behind the smoke.
my neighborhood was considered a "frozen zone" - needed ID to go down my own street.

there's so much more in the weeks after - makeshift memorials in union square, visiting the site and seeing all downtown still covered in this grey ash, the flyers... so many flyers on every possible surface, lampost, windows... so sad. we knew they weren't missing... but...
turasultana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to turasultana For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2010, 01:54 PM   #13
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation

I was on my prep period from teaching and wandering around the drama room where a t.v. was playing and they were showing the first tower being struck. At first I thought it was some weird accident. As the footage continued, I realized it was more than a random accident.

I remember leaving school shortly after that and driving home where my first gf had slept over. I lived very close to the school and still had a lunch period before my next class. I woke her up and said come out here and watch this. By the time we sat down and turned on the t.v., the second attack had occurred. We just sat there stunned. I went back to school and no one was really teaching--we just talked with our classes and everything had this hushed and surreal atmosphere.

Last edited by Soon; 09-11-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2010, 02:23 PM   #14
Leigh
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, etc
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 13,026 Times in 4,786 Posts
Leigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST Reputation

I was living with a friend at the time, had turned on the tv in the morning and just happened to turn on the news ~ only to see the 2nd tower being hit by the plane. I sat in a state of shock, almost barely blinking as I watched the scene unfold before Me and not knowing what to think about what I was seeing .......... it was a very sad time for My american neighbors, but also for so many of us who just couldn't believe what had happened

Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leigh For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2010, 03:09 PM   #15
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Just returned home from NYC. I had visited family and friends there with my lover and her son. We did the tourist stuff (first visit to the Big Apple for them, both). So, we were in the Towers quite a bit for all of the summer activities as well as it was on the route to so many tourist areas.

Her son called me from school in a panic to tell me about the planes hitting. Then, I was totally taken over by fear of my friends and relatives being possibly killed or hurt. Some were (friends, friends of friends, friends of my relatives).

I know that there are horrible things happening around the world just about everyday. People in many countries that live with this kind of threat on a daily basis. However, when people talk about 9/11 in a way that dismisses the horror of what people experienced, in NYC, in the towers, or as friends/relatives with someone that died or was hurt that day, it pisses me off. It indeed, hurts my feelings and serves no purpose in bringing us to peace.

No, this attack is no more horrible or worse than any other terror attack or other pointless killing of innocent people throughout the world.
And we here, in the US need to recognize this- we lived a long time outside of the terror so many experience, but, how I feel and others with a direct connection, do have a hard time on this day. Now, I also believe we need to fight the ugly hate that some people in the US are spouting about Muslims and Islam (and many other cultures, worldwide). In fact, I believe that this is critical because this did not happen in a vacuum. The US has done some of its own ugly worldwide, but, nothing, not one single thing makes these kinds of attacks on any people a justified act.

I wish our lesson would take us to understanding Islam and respecting it. And I hope that respect is displayed for those lost that day here- and thoughts about worldwide victims of terror. many that died in the Towers, were Muslim.

To me, healing is not forgetting, and not taking revenge. It is supporting ways to combat the kind of hate that is responsible for such acts. The US has a long way to go to do this. Please support curriculum change in our schools concerning teaching our young people about Islam and other positive ways the US, as a nation of goodwill can correct our negative history against Islam. Can we not be pro-active and admit our trespasses and change things?

I know, I'm such a hokey idealist... but I am so tired of rhetoric that divides the US and serves no positive purpose in getting at the real problem, here.

Last edited by AtLast; 09-11-2010 at 03:20 PM.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2010, 03:41 PM   #16
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

I didn't know what happened until I got to work. The entire staff was glued to the TV. I couldn't believe what I was seeing when they kept running the footage over and over. My co-workers filled me in on all the details up to that hour,
and I just stood there stunned. I can see it like it was yesterday.
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jet For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2010, 03:43 PM   #17
bigbutchmistie

How Do You Identify?:
Since You Need A Label. Butch
Relationship Status:
Still Dreaming Of My Happily Ever After

Thanked 5,364 Times in 1,941 Posts
bigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputation

Getting ready for a job interview. Talking to my mother.
bigbutchmistie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bigbutchmistie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2010, 04:26 PM   #18
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

I was awoke by my mom screaming into the phone "We are under attack, turn on your tv". I couldn't see, i couldn't feel and i completely froze in a minute of complete terror and confusion.

Just as I turned the TV on and focused the second tower was struck.

I have never been so afraid. I have never been so saddened by anything i've seen. I have never felt so bad for so many people and their familes. I was glued to the TV for days...

I just remember crying and crying.

I do recall something though that day that was surprising, sincere and out of character. I called information to get a phone number for a friend that had recently moved. The operator (those faceless people that don't really seem real) had asked if i would take a moment of silence with her for the people in New York....we did, it was sweet and meant a lot to me. I'll never forget that.

IMO we were a nation that came together in shock, fear and grief....flags flew everywhere and we mourned.
Maya Angelou
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2010, 05:00 PM   #19
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,990 Times in 2,594 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

I was in a four-hour chemistry lab that morning, so I didn't know what was happening. At the time, I had a job working for an elderly biology professor who refused to interact with computers directly, so my job involved printing his emails and then typing up emails he had hand-written. So I went to his office after my lab, and the University had sent an email out saying that the decision had been made not to cancel classes after careful consideration. I went to CNNs website, and that's when I learned what had happened. Over the next week, I really wanted some sort of response from my profs. I was in all science and math classes that semester, and none of them even mentioned that it happened. I wanted somebody older and wiser to say something meaningful, and there was nobody around me who had anything to say.

I never went back to the lab that semester. I really screwed that semester up. I watched the news all the time, watched the planes hitting the towers over and over again. Eventually I went to the learning skills center and talked to them about it, and they recommended I stop watching the news. I followed their advice. That was the year I got married. Before 9/11, both my now-ex-husband and I were libertarian in mindset, but within a year, he was a hyper-conservative fox-news-watcher and I had become more liberal than anybody I knew (despite constant exposure to the drone of fox news). The next semester I dropped the biology major for english, both out of necessity (because i screwed up that semester so badly) and because I really needed to be around people who would find words to talk about things that are dark and deep and painful.

I remember that day on the University's tv channel, a young Muslim man from our campus was interviewed. He said he always wears a turban, and when he got out of his morning class, another student spit on him. He was understandably upset about it, but when he found out what had happened, he decided the respectful thing to do was to remove his turban for the rest of that week. I often wonder about him and what he'd say now after nine years of experience and reflection.

Soon after 9/11, there was a memorial on the steps of the UT tower. The whole mall was filled with people. I remember there were already anti-war protesters, though I hadn't even heard any calls to war yet. There was a point in the ceremony where we faced new york and sang, "The Eyes of Texas are upon You" with our little longhorn hand-signals up in the air. I am not really a sports person or a person who has ever sung this song in a group like that - and I wouldn't have participated under most circumstances. But in that instant, it felt very moving and very right. I had never considered New York as having much to do with me, my own life or my identity. In those moments, I felt more connected to New York and to the rest of the country than I ever did before.

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2010, 05:06 PM   #20
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Dear Ol Butch Bones
Preferred Pronoun?:
Old Thing
Relationship Status:
Too old to play.

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

On the sofa talking to my therapist..as we watched each other's eyes and the TV ..silently...mere words suddenly lost...the experience never forgotten. Watching so many many heroes...I will never forget all the love and unity. Through the smoke came the couple standing there, holding hands..waving and smiling at the camera..before they jumped down together...I will never forget that.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glenn For This Useful Post: