Old 05-13-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
Merlin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Knight in shining armour.
Relationship Status:
Spoken for

Merlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST Reputation
Default Pressurised to transition.

Alot of butches I know are going through gender re-assignment surgery to become male,they are at varying stages of this.

My question is this :
Butches have you ever felt pressurised to have a sex change?

Have you ever felt it off other butches/transguys who want you to follow the path they have set ?

Everyone welcome to answer but I would like to hear off the butches too.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,592 Times in 4,691 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Alot of butches I know are going through gender re-assignment surgery to become male,they are at varying stages of this.

My question is this :
Butches have you ever felt pressurised to have a sex change?

Have you ever felt it off other butches/transguys who want you to follow the path they have set ?

Everyone welcome to answer but I would like to hear off the butches too.
You go first! Do you feel pressured?
Old 05-13-2011, 04:15 PM   #3
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

First Butch is a gender and so is Transgendered, they are not the same. So if a Butch feels they want to transition to an FtM, then their gender is fluctuating.

I don't feel pressured by any of my TG or FtM friends. We're all individuals and we all have different life knowledge.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2011, 04:28 PM   #4
Dreamer

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Relationship Status:
Dreams do come true...

Thanked 4,233 Times in 949 Posts
Dreamer Has the BEST ReputationDreamer Has the BEST ReputationDreamer Has the BEST ReputationDreamer Has the BEST ReputationDreamer Has the BEST ReputationDreamer Has the BEST ReputationDreamer Has the BEST ReputationDreamer Has the BEST ReputationDreamer Has the BEST ReputationDreamer Has the BEST ReputationDreamer Has the BEST Reputation

None of my TG or FtM friends have ever pressured me into transitioning. They have all spoken openly and honestly about what they have been through or what they are going through.
As Corkey said we are all individuals and everyone I know respects the choices made as well as respecting everyone for who they are.
"Let your mind start a journey through a strange new world. Leave all thoughts of the world you knew before. Let your soul take you where you long to be...Close your eyes let your spirit start to soar, and you'll live as you have never lived before" ~Erich~
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Dreamer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2011, 04:34 PM   #5
Lynn

How Do You Identify?:
Unabashed Feminine Lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her, She
Relationship Status:
Married!

Thanked 2,416 Times in 504 Posts
Lynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST Reputation

Not a butch, but...

my partner, who considers herself to be a butch woman, considers her gender to be female, not butch. It really depends upon the person. I am femme, but that isn't *my* gender. Others may identify differently. My partner is a butch woman whose sexual preference is feminine women or femmes.

As a butch woman, with very masculine qualities, she felt pressured to transition when she was in her twenties. Not from peer pressure from others, but due to her religious upbringing. She felt that it was sinful for her to be a woman, desiring other women. She felt that if she transitioned she would then be a man, and her desire for women wouldn't be a sin. Simplistic view, maybe, but that was her reality at the time. Fortunately, as she came to develop her own truths and beliefs, she became more accepting of herself, and now says she's glad that she didn't transition, as she loves being a woman who partners with other women.
that love costs all we are
and will ever be.
Yet it is only love
which sets us free.

Maya Angelou

Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Lynn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2011, 04:41 PM   #6
Strappie

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I know who I am... Doesn't matter
Relationship Status:
It's a new day....

Thanked 4,946 Times in 1,350 Posts
Strappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I have a few FTM and TG friends. I can honestly say they have NEVER even spoken to me in such a manor. That would be like someone telling me I should become straight. Nobody has ever asked me to become straight.

In my opinion: If someone is putting pressure on you to "transition" they are NOT right in the head.

Now if they are asking me questions about "who" I am, that is much different then pressuring me to "transition."
Strappie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Strappie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2011, 04:46 PM   #7
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

This is a very sensitive issue. Personally, I have not felt this pressure from trans guys online or in real time. I have had an association with transgendered people since the 1960's. And I have an intergendered first cousin. This has been part of my life for a very long time. Yet, as a non-trans FIB, I claim no expertise around issues such as this.

I have, however, felt some pressure from femmes to transition. Now, these are femmes from real-time dating and not one of them (there are 3) are members here. I know that this is also a sensitive statement, as well. I mean no negativity toward any femme by this.

I can also say that I have dated a couple of femmes that wanted to know if I had considered transitioning and were very clear that if I was, they were not for me (again, not members here). LOL, dating again has been pretty crazy! Right now, I ham taking a break from it.

To be honest, I have never quite been able to come to any conclusions about this. It might be related to my living in a region where there are greater numbers of queers of every kind and a center for a lot of services for transgendered people. The question might just come up more because of this. And perhaps many femmes here are just more familiar with transitioning overall and have just thought more about relating to a Transperson. I don't know.

I used to be troubled by this. I'm not any longer. As gender is more understood outside of the traditional binary, I believe there will be more conversation about it. I view this as positive. Seems like a natural occurrence to me. But, these are only my thoughts from personal experience up to this point in my life. I can be upset if the nature of my butch identity as a woman is negated by someone.

I do, however, feel it is very important for anyone that feels any type of pressure about transitioning (or anything else, for that matter) speak out and hold their personal boundaries in place. That does not mean being rude or relying on or perpetuating any stereotypes about transgendered people.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2011, 05:04 PM   #8
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

I have to also say that there are Stone Butches, some of who have top surgery and some who don't. They are not transitioning either.
I hope you take a look in the forums on the gender threads to get a better understanding of how genders are thought and discussed. It's very useful to folks who are new to the site.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2011, 05:21 PM   #9
atomiczombie

How Do You Identify?:
Femmesensual Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His
Relationship Status:
Dating

Thanked 3,221 Times in 757 Posts
atomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputation

Before I started my transition, no one every pressured me or suggested to me that I should do so. And I have never, and will never pressure or suggest to anyone that they be anything other than who they feel they are.

Sorry for responding since I'm not a butch, but I used to ID as one a few years ago.
atomiczombie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to atomiczombie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2011, 05:51 PM   #10
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation

My husband was never pressured. He felt, in his late forties, that it was about high time that he lived for himself and lived--outwardly--as the man he has always been--inside.
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2011, 06:46 PM   #11
CherylNYC

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm a woman. Behave accordingly.
Relationship Status:
Single, not looking.

Thanked 7,150 Times in 1,206 Posts
CherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastHome View Post
This is a very sensitive issue. Personally, I have not felt this pressure from trans guys online or in real time. I have had an association with transgendered people since the 1960's. And I have an intergendered first cousin. This has been part of my life for a very long time. Yet, as a non-trans FIB, I claim no expertise around issues such as this.

I have, however, felt some pressure from femmes to transition. Now, these are femmes from real-time dating and not one of them (there are 3) are members here. I know that this is also a sensitive statement, as well. I mean no negativity toward any femme by this...
I'm really sorry this happened to you, ALH. To be honest, I've heard conversations amongst femme women in which they changed preferred pronouns to male against the expressed preferences of the butch woman they were discussing. I've also heard femmes put subtle pressure on butches to ID as male. It's not quite the same thing as pressuring a butch to transition, but I think it's on the continuum. If I witness this I never let it go. It's my nature to challenge that kind of disrespect.

The worst incidences I've witnessed of pressuring butches to transition came from a very good FTM friend of mine who has transitioned and lives his life fully as a male. I have heard him tell butch women that they should transition because T is such a great drug, or because their lives would be easier as men, etc. He's even suggested that I take T. No, he was not joking. He seems to believe that T is some kind of health tonic. We've had huge fights over this, and I've warned him not to risk losing my respect. Hopefully I've heard the last of it. We're still friends because I consider him family, but his relentless pressure against butch women has occasionally endangered his status in my life.

I've also witnessed very young people pressuring each other to transition. Because it's cool. Yes, it's true. I live in NYC where there's a subculture and plenty of information about how to obtain street T.

So, the answer is YES. It happens, and it sucks. Just like Strappie wrote, it's no different than pressuring a person to be straight.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:48 PM   #12
Heart

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
rainbows!

Thanked 2,531 Times in 412 Posts
Heart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST Reputation

I don't know if butches feel pressured by the transmen they encounter, but I do know that more than one butch in my life has expressed feeling pressure to just "be a man," rather than maintain the complex identity of butch or butch woman. This pressure emanates from many places in many ways, not least of which is the the way butch is conflated with male/masculine/man in both queer and non-queer communities.

Add to this the ongoing sexism, homophobia, and misogyny butches face as visible queer females, and the pressure rises. Throw in hierarchies of more/less butch, based upon how "manly" one is, and it can feel like a pressure cooker. So much so that one person I know opted to let go of the identity (at least the label) and have less contact with the B/F/T community, rather than continue to feel evaluated based upon standards she felt no resonance with.

I will say that I have, over the years, witnessed online a kind of pressure from some femmes towards butches to be the "men of the community," which horrified me. (What is wrong with being the BUTCHES of the community??)

I will also say that I know numerous transmen who get it -- who have no interest in "converting" butches and respect and honor them for who they are.

And the last thing I'll say is that some butches I know are 3rd gender and others are women. Woman and butch are not, have never been, and never will be mutually exclusive of each other.

Heart
Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:15 PM   #13
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Dominant Stone Butch Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 22,781 Times in 4,469 Posts
BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

What Heart says resonates with me. It's not really just a question of do you or do not feel pressured to transition. It's more the "pressure cooker" she describes. The conflation of butch with male/man drives me insane. The conflation of masculine with male drives me insane. This comes from within butch femme communities.

Also within butch femme communities, the definition of woman seems to get narrower and narrower to the point where so many butches feel they don't fit the definition of woman. I claim woman. I am invested in expanding what woman is and can be. To me that is liberating for myself and hopefully helps other women feel liberated as well (not just butch women). I would like to see as much exploration of what woman can be and mean in terms of gender as much as seems to be paid to male/masculine.

This pressure cooker is not coming just from transmen or just femmes- it comes from all genders in the bf community.

In the outside world, visibly queer/lesbian butches have to face the world both as queers and women (and women going against the grain to boot).

So, there's lots of factors going into this, not just yes or no to transition.

Thank you very much for your post, Heart.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2011, 08:18 PM   #14
Strappie

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I know who I am... Doesn't matter
Relationship Status:
It's a new day....

Thanked 4,946 Times in 1,350 Posts
Strappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I know a fem whom use to use the trump card to piss a butch off or be hateful towards them buy using "your not ever going to be butch enough for a fem" I know it's made some question who they are. I also think that it does put pressure on some insecure butches as to who they are. I have never condoned this behavior. Nor will I allow it to happen in my presence!

It's harsh and so wrong!!
Strappie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Strappie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2011, 08:52 PM   #15
1PlayfulFemme

How Do You Identify?:
An Unwitting Thread Derailer!
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, femme through and through
Relationship Status:
She is my soul.

Thanked 2,362 Times in 697 Posts
1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation

I think where pressure exists is very rarely in the verbal realm. It's not like someone calls every day saying "You need to transistion". I have certainly seen butch friends of mine feel pressured into identifying male because their friends did, or a femme wanted them to (regardless of whether that identity was mental or physically changing).

I have friends who i.d. male. Period. No one pressured them, no one could pressure them. I also have friends who aren't sure where their i.d. exists. (which only they can decide..when they are ready). I have friends who have completed the transformation, others who have just begun and still others who are happy just where they are.

For me, if you are feeling pressured to change your very identity, you need to look at the people/circumstances that are making you feel that way. If you feel like you should be a man, or that you ARE a man (on the inside - where it counts), that's one thing entirely. If you feel like you are a woman and you don't want to transistion, then don't. Identify as female.

Only you know what lies inside yourself. And if people really care about you, it doesn't matter if you are male i.d'ed, female i.d'ed, male, female, or somewhere in the middle. As long as you are happy - and secure in your own identity.

When you love and accept yourself fully, others opinions about you don't seem as important as they once did. You are the one that will have to live with any choice you make for whatever period of time in your life that choice affects you....so do what's right for your soul. Your happiness is bound to follow!!!

(Just my .02) *flips coin into the conversation*

Whatever you fear most has no power. It is your fear that holds the power.
-Oprah Winfrey
1PlayfulFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 1PlayfulFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2011, 09:55 PM   #16
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
I have to also say that there are Stone Butches, some of who have top surgery and some who don't. They are not transitioning either.
I hope you take a look in the forums on the gender threads to get a better understanding of how genders are thought and discussed. It's very useful to folks who are new to the site.
So true. And I know FIBs that have had or are considering top surgery.

It sure can be confusing- plain complicated. The Planet gives space to so many issues, topics, processes, and gender ideology. I hope new members take a look and I also hope we all understand that many folks may just not have had much about transgender and intergender information or people around them. I know I have to be careful not to assume that every person on the site has this experience or knowledge.

I am always learning something from the site and our diverse membership. And hell, I'm old!!

Addition- there is a thread about the upcoming Butch Voices Conference in Oakland. I went to the first one a couple of years ago. I will attend this one and I highly recommend this to members. The organization has multuple events around the US (or has in the past). Really covers all aspects of gender and a good way to learn about trans issues as well as butch issues- covers all of us!! www.butchvoices.com
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2011, 12:05 AM   #17
Merlin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Knight in shining armour.
Relationship Status:
Spoken for

Merlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST Reputation

Other forums I am on have had alot of butches who have gone through or are going through gender re-assignment.

Like I said previously the butch/femme community is tiny and close to dying out.

Afraid I don't sit on the fence when I have something on my mind.

It's not that I feel pressured to change,i don't want to am more than happy in my skin.

It's more the fact that society would like me to change,so they can feel more "comfortable" with who I am.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:33 AM   #18
Turtle

How Do You Identify?:
A mixity
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatever
Relationship Status:
chillin

Thanked 4,531 Times in 1,222 Posts
Turtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST Reputation

There have been times in my life when I wanted to have surgery and now I do not. Nobody has said anything, but there have been transguys who have given off a stink that I was not good enough or "real" for not having surgery or taking T.

And I have gotten to the "fuck 'em" stage. I'm me and I don't need to be accepted by you and it's unfortunate that they can't be more respectful of other folks.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Turtle For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2011, 01:41 AM   #19
iamkeri1

How Do You Identify?:
femme woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,944 Times in 584 Posts
iamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputation

I too am in the "old" group, so listen up because I have some good advice for y'all. I am a femme who has spent more than half of her life partnered to FTM's, and I would NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER (I can't say it enough) encourage ANYONE to transition. It is the hardest thing that any person could ever go through, and for the partner, I speculate that it is even harder than it is for the person who transitions.

If you genuinely feel displaced in your body or your spirit, then transitioning will be one high after another for you. BUT - it will still be the hardest thing you will ever do.

To any femmes (or anyone else for that matter) who may encourage or pressure your friends, partners, acquaintences to transition, PLEASE stop. Almost all relationships end when one of the partners transition. In fact most end right away when one partner expresses the desire to transition. When my late husband transitioned, we were in a support group that included about fifty couples, both FTM and MTF. Out of these fifty couples only two survived the transition. My husband and I were one, the other was a couple that began their lives together as Gay men, and one of them transitioned MTF. They are a wonderfully loving couple and I am still friends with them .

I could go on for three hours about all the hard painful things that happen when your partner transitions, but you can find that information elsewhere. I loved my husband with everything I had in me, and he returned my love at least that strongly. He has been dead for seven plus years and I am still not fully recovered ... Not from losing him and not from losing me. Cause that's what happened when he transitioned. I transitioned too - from gay to straight.

Finding my way back to myself, or rather TO my new self has been a long complicated (though sometimes exciting) journey.

Finding oneself is hard and is a journey that continues throughout ones life. Let people find their own selves. Don't push them in any direction. The world had room for every variation on the gender spectrum. Make room for everyone as they are and as they evolve ON THEIR OWN.
Smooches,
Keri
iamkeri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:16 AM   #20
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

I thought about this last night as I was falling blissfully asleep.
It's about maturity, the knowledge of self and being secure enough in ones self. No one can pressure anyone into anything if that person is secure enough in knowing who they are. It's as simple as that.

Just be you!

Last edited by Corkey; 05-14-2011 at 10:25 AM.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post: