Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Politics And Law

Old 07-03-2010, 04:31 PM   #1
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Let's CRASH Glenn Beck's Restoring Honor Rally!!!

This is an outrage- pure and simple. Honestly, we do need to make noise about this!!! Some coverage has been on MSNBC lately.... but not enough!! This is slated to happen during the annual MLK commemorative festivities in DC.

Beck has stated that Republicans are responsible for the civil rights movement in the US and that they are going to take it back!! Yes, he is crazy... but crazy like a fox (pun intended), has mojo going with the ultra-conservative right, has a TV and radio show, and people listen to him! Hitler was crazy, too.... let us not forgot the kinds of people that desire power and adoration and what they can do especially in times of economic decline.

Forget about old Rush.... Beck is really a dangerous human being! Rush likes just hanging' with the new trophy wife and counting his millions on pain meds. Beck wants action.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.glennbeck.com/content/articles/article/198/35494/

Glenn Beck: Restoring Honor

January 25, 2010

Restoring Honor Rally 8-28

On August 28, 2010 come be a part of history by joining Glenn at the steps of the Lincoln Memorial for the Restoring Honor Rally. This is a non-political fundraiser for the Special Operations Warrior Foundation.

GLENN: We have talked about so many things in the last few years, and as I, as I try to figure out a way out, because people come and listen to this program for laughs, for perspective, for my opinion on things, what I believe is the truth, but they also have been listening for some sort of an answer, and I will tell you that I've never considered myself an answer man. As a dad I have been looking for answers as well. I told you last year that the answer would come from the people, and I think we saw that last week. And that's not a comment on Ron on Scott Brown. This is a comment on people waking up and standing up and saying, you're pushing me too far. Eight months ago we didn't even well, many people didn't even have hope. We never stop it. What's happening to us?

Now people are aware of what's happening to us. More and more people are waking up every day and more people are standing up. Question with boldness, hold to the truth, and speak without fear. That has been my answer.

I told you at the, around Thanksgiving that I was changing the show because I had been thinking about what is the answer. What is the answer? And I announced something when I went down to Florida, I announced to you that I was coming to you with a plan. I will tell you, I'm going to shoot real straight with you. I was on the air I'm sorry, I was on the stage and there were 30,000 people there and as I said it and I said this phrase: Two can play at that game. And I broke out in a cold sweat. I knew the direction that I was supposed to go in but I believe that I was 2 to 5% off course. And I broke out in a cold sweat and I walked off stage and I said to one of my guys, I said, this is the wrong direction, I don't know. And he looked at me and said, Glenn, have you not been talking about this for weeks and weeks and weeks? And I said, yes, but it's the wrong direction and I don't know, I don't know why. Well, I figured it out. Because two cannot play that game. That makes us them. We must play another game, one that isn't a game. It is the original way this country was set up. We must do two things. And really it's just this one. Remember, remember who we are. If we remember who we are, where we came from, why we came here, who let us, who wrote those documents, why did they write them, if we remember the mistakes we've made, and we made a lot, but I ain't going on a European apology tour for it. Every country has made mistakes, some bigger than others. I think in the balance we've been pretty good. But if we remember our mistakes, we'll be able to fix them. So remember.

And what happens when we remember? Well, if we remember, then we have to choose. And here comes the second part. Then we have to choose. Are we going to be part of the solution or part of the problem? And really honestly the problem is two can play at that game. The solution is to just always tell the truth. I announced on that same stage that I was going to be holding an event, and I didn't tell you much about it. On August 28th, this coming August 28th, I told you it would be at the mall in Washington. A lot of people are going to think that this is a tea party. It is not. I hope it will be something much, much deeper than a tea party. I believe what we are creating is going to be something that will be one for the history books. There is not going to be one word of politics from the stage, not one. Because the way to fix Washington is not through politics but through each of us as individuals. Because when we fix ourselves and we are united on the principle of honor and honesty and integrity, they will fear us like they've never feared us before. Why can somebody go to Washington that you think is so strong and then all of a sudden turn? All of a sudden they become part of the problem? Well, I think it's because they've lost their honor. They may have lost their honor before they even got there. And when they lost that honor, when they cheated on their wife or they embezzled or they took this deal or they compromised here, whatever it is, that's when they become a tool. That's why I ask you to join me at the steps of the Lincoln Memorial on 8/28 in a program called Restoring Honor. The feet of Abraham Lincoln. I'm reading a book right now called Giants. It's fantastic. It's the things that Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln had in common. Amazing men. But you don't have to solve Washington. The tea parties have the backdrop of the capitol. The capitol could go into a giant sinkhole as far as I'm concerned. Doesn't matter to me. You are not going to be able to go in there and fix that, unless you start at the other end of the mall and you start by looking and reflecting at Abraham Lincoln. And then you look and reflect. That's what the reflecting pool means. Reflect. You look one way and you are looking at Abraham Lincoln and you can reflect on him. You look the other way and you see the Washington Monument and everything that Washington stood for and you reflect on him. Once you do that and then make your choice, two can play that game. Or I'm going to be like Abraham Lincoln and George Washington. When you do that, you'll fix the country. I'm convinced of it. Education, reflection and higher choices. I can't tell you who or what is going to be on the program at this point for a myriad of reasons. But just know we want to be there. It is going to be amazing.

Now, here's the problem and here's where I need your help. Well, I tell you what, I have to take a break. Let me tell you this. If you are planning on going, I had two people at the Bill O'Reilly event this weekend come up to me and say, Glenn, I can't get a hotel for your 8/28 thing. We called, like, three hotels. They're already sold out. People are coming to this, and I recommend that if you even think you want to go, book now. Plan on being there. We did it, we intentionally didn't do it on 9/12 for a couple of reasons. One, 9/12 is on Sunday. I don't do anything on Sunday. The second reason is I wanted your I wanted you to be able to bring your kids. So this is the, I think the last week before the August holiday is over, and I want you to be there, and I want you to bring your family. And I want you to bring your friends. And I want you to help me get the word out. Restoring honor. 8/28, August 28th. Please mark it down on your calendar. Make plans to join me now. I'll tell you when I need your help in just a second.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
Ebon

How Do You Identify?:
With my souls eyes.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
lol

Thanked 11,144 Times in 2,755 Posts
Ebon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST Reputation

They appear to be trying to start another civil war.

I'm a Soul Rebel

http://wannabereverend.wordpress.com/

Spirituality is not a belief system or ideology, it is the surrender of one's ego to the infinite wisdom and knowledge that is the universe.
Ebon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ebon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2010, 05:17 PM   #3
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

What I really get upset about is the restoration of honor thing.... liberals, progressives, moderates, and independents, political activists have no honor and are not patriots? They can serve in the military and die for this country (as many have) and they have no honor? MLK, and others could be assassinated while bringing a dream of equality and he had no honor? Oh, that's right, Beck has declared that MLK was really an ultra-conservative.

He is not restoring honor, he is revising it! Just as many red states want to re-write history, leaving out little tad-bits like black slavery. Oh, and of course, what we have done to the real Natve peoples!

I would dismiss this ass as the wing-nut he is if it were not obvious to me that he and people like him do wield power in the US and are hell bent on oppressing human and civil rights for those they disagree with or threaten their over the top distorted Christian Soldier codes.

I used to laugh at the likes of Beck and Limbaugh…. No more….. they are a serious threat to freedom of ideas and democracy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2010, 05:21 PM   #4
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

From what I herd a couple of days ago, forgive me if I don't remember where, stuff has been going on and I'm sleep deprived, Beck was denied a permit for his little get together.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2010, 05:24 PM   #5
Ebon

How Do You Identify?:
With my souls eyes.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
lol

Thanked 11,144 Times in 2,755 Posts
Ebon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastHome View Post
What I really get upset about is the restoration of honor thing.... liberals, progressives, moderates, and independents, political activists have no honor and are not patriots? They can serve in the military and die for this country (as many have) and they have no honor? MLK, and others could be assassinated while bringing a dream of equality and he had no honor? Oh, that's right, Beck has declared that MLK was really an ultra-conservative.

He is not restoring honor, he is revising it! Just as many red states want to re-write history, leaving out little tad-bits like black slavery. Oh, and of course, what we have done to the real Natve peoples!

I would dismiss this ass as the wing-nut he is if it were not obvious to me that he and people like him do wield power in the US and are hell bent on oppressing human and civil rights for those they disagree with or threaten their over the top distorted Christian Soldier codes.

I used to laugh at the likes of Beck and Limbaugh…. No more….. they are a serious threat to freedom of ideas and democracy.
What I don't understand is all the people that listen to this crap and actually believe it. Are people really that blind? I mean really, like seriously?

I'm a Soul Rebel

http://wannabereverend.wordpress.com/

Spirituality is not a belief system or ideology, it is the surrender of one's ego to the infinite wisdom and knowledge that is the universe.
Ebon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ebon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2010, 05:25 PM   #6
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
From what I herd a couple of days ago, forgive me if I don't remember where, stuff has been going on and I'm sleep deprived, Beck was denied a permit for his little get together.
I hope you heard right! I'm going to investigate.... I believe Al Sharpton and other civil rights leaders (not just the old one's that I am used to) have been doing battle over this.

Thanks, Corkey!
The Following User Says Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I hope you heard right! I'm going to investigate.... I believe Al Sharpton and other civil rights leaders (not just the old one's that I am used to) have been doing battle over this.

Thanks, Corkey!
Something about the National Park Service told him NO, rather emphatically.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:04 PM   #8
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
Something about the National Park Service told him NO, rather emphatically.

It appears he is looking for another site.... will update...

OMG! Look at this piece about Press on Countdown!!!

On last night’s Countdown, syndicated radio host and Toxic Talk author Bill Press took aim at Glenn Beck’s August 28 “Restoring Honor” rally, which he has previously likened to an Al-Qaeda rally at Ground Zero. Among the topics discussed were Beck’s fundraising tactics, the “desecration” of Dr. Martin Luther King’s memory, and, most importantly, Beck’s lack of a permit for the event. Bill takes special care to note that the National Park Service is still mulling the request over. He also refuses to take Keith Olbermann’s bait that “Restoring Honor” is to be a racist event, putting it in the proper perspective.

That’s not to say that race plays no part in this. As Bill recounts in Toxic Talk (you can purchase an autographed copy here), Beck famously accused the first black president of being a “racist” who has “exposed himself as a guy, over and over again, who has a deep-seated hatred for white people, or the white culture.”

It was a ridiculous charge, one that prompted an advertiser boycott led by the organization Color of Change, whose founder, Van Jones, would become the target of a campaign by Beck that ended in Jones’ resignation. He also famously asked Rep. Keith Ellison (D-MN) to prove he wasn’t working with terrorists.

But as Press notes, Beck’s toxicity is much more scattershot than the occasional race-baiting. Whether he’s calling Hillary Clinton a “stereotypical bitch,” fantasizing about killing Nancy Pelosi and Michael Moore, or hating the families of 9/11 victims, I think Press’ point is that, while it would take balls the size of Jupiter to usurp the memory of King’s “I have a dream…” speech, Beck is particularly ill-suited.

As Frances Martel noted earlier, Press was criticized by Mediaite for comparing Beck’s rally to an Al-Qaeda rally at Ground Zero, and I agree. I would compare it more to a Keystone Kops reenactment of the raising of the flag at Iwo Jima, the pretense of bumblers to greatness.

As for Press’ observation that the National Park Service is still reviewing Beck’s permit request, I wonder if Bill isn’t up to a little mischief here, hoping that Countdown viewers will weigh in with the agency.

perspective.http://www.mediaite.com/tv/restoring...emorial-rally/

Ah, yes, Countdown viewers will weigh in to the NPS!!!

Last edited by AtLast; 07-03-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:55 PM   #9
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

Another tea-bag type site link to event.... Only news about the permit I can find today is that the NPS is still considering it???

Looks like Sister Palin will be there....

http://deland912.org/News.html

Press's Article-

Keep Glenn Beck away from Lincoln Memorial!

Posted: July 02, 2010
1:00 am Eastern

© 2010

He's already launched a radio and TV show, written several best-selling books, organized tea-party rallies, launched a voter-registration drive and performed his own stand-up comedy tour. So what does the self-described "recovering alcoholic rodeo clown" do next to feed his massive ego?

How 'bout a rally at the Lincoln Memorial? That's exactly what megalomaniac Glenn Beck is planning next. He bills it as the "Restoring Honor Rally." Organized to support our troops, he says, "on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial." The rally is scheduled for Aug. 28 – 47 years to the day that Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. gave his magnificent "I Have a Dream" speech at the same location.

God forbid! It's outrageous that the National Park Service would even consider granting a talk-show host permission to occupy that sacred site on that historic day. It's like granting al-Qaida permission to hold a "Hate America" rally at Ground Zero on Sept. 11.

Was "Honest Abe" worthy of the moniker? In "Lincoln Unmasked," Thomas J. DiLorenzo takes on historical assumptions about 16th president

Once I heard about it, I contacted the National Park Service, only to discover that, as is usually the case with Glenn Beck, he's not always telling the truth. Despite his nonstop promotion of the event, for example, Beck does not yet have a final permit for the rally. He may get it; he may not. According to Bill Line, communications officer for the National Park Service, negotiations are still under way. Meanwhile, Beck is inviting people to the rally, soliciting donations to help pay for it, and selling T-shirts and posters. Caveat emptor.

Nor would the rally, if approved, be held, as Beck insists, on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial. It would be staged, instead, on the steps of the Reflecting Pool, in front of and across the service road from the structure – with, of course, the imposing memorial in the background.

Beck's not honest about supporting the troops, either. True, on the rally website, he solicits tax-deductible donations to the "Special Operations Warrior Foundation," an organization founded 30 years ago to raise funds for wounded members of the Special Forces and their families. Sounds good, until you read the fine print at the bottom of the website: "All contributions made to the (Special Operations Warrior Foundation) will first be applied to the costs of the Restoring Honor Rally taking place on Aug. 28, 2010." Only leftover funds, after Beck pays for his party (and speaking fee?), will go to the troops.

But Beck doesn't mind stealing money from our troops to feed his Washington-Mall-sized ego. "If you come, I believe this may – and it may be in a hundred years from now, or 200 years from now – I believe this will be remembered as the moment America turned the corner," he told his radio listeners. By that time, no doubt, he expects it will be called the Beck Memorial, no longer the Lincoln Memorial – with him, and not poor Abe, sitting on the marble throne.

There's no way this television huckster should be given permission to hold the Lincoln Memorial hostage on Aug. 28, or any other day. And, no matter what some fuzzy-brained liberals might say, it has nothing to do with the First Amendment. Nobody's attempting to deny Glenn Beck his freedom of speech. He can spout his toxic talk on national radio and television every day. And there are many other possible venues for his political showmanship.

Let him rent FedEx field or Yankee Stadium, but not the Lincoln Memorial. It's a living tribute to the memory of our greatest president. And also to Marian Anderson, who gave her concert on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in 1939, after she was denied permission to perform in Constitution Hall. And, of course, in our lifetime, it's a tribute to Martin Luther King Jr., who came "to this hallowed spot to remind America of the fierce urgency of now" and share his dream that "one day little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls and walk together as brothers and sisters."

Our great national shrine should not be polluted by the hateful rhetoric of Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin. The National Park Service should, instead, honor the memories of Abraham Lincoln, Marian Anderson and Martin Luther King Jr. – and keep politics and Glenn Beck away from the Lincoln Memorial.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=173565

Bill Press is host of a nationally syndicated radio show and author of a new book, "TOXIC TALK: How the Radical Right Has Poisoned America's Airwaves." His website is billpress.com.

Last edited by AtLast; 07-03-2010 at 07:05 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2010, 11:06 AM   #10
Galahad

How Do You Identify?:
do I have to?
Relationship Status:
single

Galahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST Reputation

I wish someone with some real art skill would expose these people as the neo nazi skinheads they really are. Visuals speak more to most people than all the talk and writing ever will.
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galahad For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2010, 12:05 PM   #11
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
I wish someone with some real art skill would expose these people as the neo nazi skinheads they really are. Visuals speak more to most people than all the talk and writing ever will.
I know.... there are some kick-butt artists right here on the Planet... we should commission them!
Old 08-24-2010, 12:36 AM   #12
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums
Default Looks like he got the permit...

Interesting.... and I am freakin' ouraged at this going on!

Greta Van Susteren: Glenn Beck 'Should Move' Rally From Martin Luther King Spot
Huffington Post

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_685437.html

Greta Van Susteren says her Fox News colleague Glenn Beck should move his rally planned for the steps of the Lincoln Memorial on the anniversary of Martin Luther King's "I Have A Dream" speech there.

Beck's "Restoring Honor" rally, which will include Sarah Palin, is described as a "non-political event" and an opportunity to "celebrate America by honoring our heroes, our heritage and our future."

Beck has been criticized by civil rights leaders for his choice of date and venue.

And now Van Susteren is joining the chorus of critics.

"Yes he has a First Amendment right to do it...but what about the wisdom of it?" she wrote on her blog. "Glenn should move his event. It does not help heal the country on so many fronts if we poke a stick in eyes."

Van Susteren added an update that she likes Beck personally and was only raising the question of whether the venue and date are appropriate.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:02 AM   #13
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,702 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

To my understanding this is a fundraiser for Special Operations Warrior Foundation. They are a legitimate group that actually does a great deal of good for former troops and their families.

http://www.specialops.org/?page=AbouttheFoundation

I fear Beck's biggest piece of media "hocus pocus" will be in "look how the left wing reacted to me when all I was doing was raising funds". He intentionally did not mention what his agenda or platform for this rally is ( in the article ALH posted). I think perhaps he has no intention of discussing politics, rather to allow all the conjecture make vocal adversaries appear to be jumping the gun or at least, jumping to conclusions.

Not a fan of Beck. Not a fan of Sharpton either.
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:29 AM   #14
dreadgeek
Power Femme

How Do You Identify?:
Cinnamon spiced, caramel colored, power-femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to a wonderful horse girl

Thanked 6,848 Times in 1,493 Posts
dreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organicbutch View Post
What I don't understand is all the people that listen to this crap and actually believe it. Are people really that blind? I mean really, like seriously?
"A lie can get halfway around the world before the truth can get its boots on." (Terry Pratchett--Going Postal)

Yes, people are that blind and that ignorant. Beck, Palin, et. al. are in the process of re-writing history. FDR goes from having saved capitalism from itself to being more Lenin than Lenin himself and conservatives--who almost universally opposed the civil rights movement--are now to be the true legatees MLK. They can get away with it because the media won't call a lie a lie no matter how blatant it is, liberals won't call liars out unless talking to one another because we're too concerned with 'being nice' and 'honoring everyone's process' and elected Democrats won't call it out because the polls--which run their lives--tell them not to. What's worse, on the other side of the aisle we have politicians who are, perhaps, ignorant of history playing with matches while standing in a pool of gasoline. What Gingrich, Palin, Brewer et. al. believe is that they can stoke up anti-immigrant, anti-Muslim and anti-brown fever in order to win the 2010 and 2012 elections and that they can do so AND keep the pot from boiling over. In all of history that has *never* worked the way the instigators thought it would. I'm not saying that it won't translate to electoral victory--it very well may. I am saying that once the hateful cat is out of the bag, they will find it difficult to put it back IN the bag. History will not be kind to them but in the interim real people have to deal with the environment that will cause Gingrich and others to be ill thought of down the line.

Quote:

I think that a lot of liberal and progressive people ignored the American Right because they thought they were irrelevant. It shows that its good to leave the coasts from time-to-time and get out into the vast middle of the country where Limbaugh's brand of race-baiting conservatism plays very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
The problem is, any visuals that would *actually* effect people will be from horrific events. Back in the 20s, 30s, 40s, and 50s it was not that most white Americans had never seen a picture of a Klansman in the newspaper. It wasn't that they did not see racist imagery of blacks. It was that they rarely saw the *aftermath* of the Klan action. They didn't see the beatings or the firebombing or the shooting at houses. While I understand what you're saying and do not *necessarily* disagree with it, my concern is that showing a bunch of angry right-wingers only plays to their strengths. What the average American will see is people celebrating the founding fathers, carrying American flags and/or crosses and talking about taxes. They will yawn and think that liberals are making a big deal of nothing. The kinds of images that *would* have an impact will be of the broken body of some Muslim kid who was in the wrong place, around the wrong people, at the wrong time.

Cheers
Aj

"People on the side of The People always ended up disappointed, in any case. They found that The People tended not to be grateful or appreciative or forward-thinking or obedient. The People tended to be small-minded and conservative and not very clever and were even distrustful of cleverness. And so, the children of the revolution were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn’t that you had the wrong kind of government, which was obvious, but that you had the wrong kind of people. As soon as you saw people as things to be measured, they didn’t measure up." (Terry Pratchett)
dreadgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dreadgeek For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2010, 11:57 AM   #15
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,382 Times in 2,839 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

In Becks article, he really says nothing.

I wonder about people who believe this Beck, Palin and News stuff too, whether people have always been this stupid or whether the media is providing a platform for these crazies to find each other and giving them a voice. UGH.

The November elections will be very interesting. It is so important that we all VOTE!
Old 08-24-2010, 12:13 PM   #16
dreadgeek
Power Femme

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:

dreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
To my understanding this is a fundraiser for Special Operations Warrior Foundation. They are a legitimate group that actually does a great deal of good for former troops and their families.

http://www.specialops.org/?page=AbouttheFoundation

I fear Beck's biggest piece of media "hocus pocus" will be in "look how the left wing reacted to me when all I was doing was raising funds". He intentionally did not mention what his agenda or platform for this rally is ( in the article ALH posted). I think perhaps he has no intention of discussing politics, rather to allow all the conjecture make vocal adversaries appear to be jumping the gun or at least, jumping to conclusions.

Not a fan of Beck. Not a fan of Sharpton either.
Actually, it is almost certain that there *will* be political talk at the rally. Remember that saying "we have to defeat the Pelosi/Reid/Obama agenda" IS political speech. I doubt that Palin or Beck can stand up before a crowd for 10 minutes without taking some jab at Obama. Secondly, although Beck claims that all proceeds will go to the SOWF that is all proceeds *after* covering the cost of the event. So after Palin gets her speaking fee (god knows how much that will be) and after Beck gets *his* speaking fee and after the organization pays to cover the costs then the SOWF gets whatever is left. Now, I'm not saying that is shady--typically that's how benefits work but it should be noted that the claim that this is 'for charity' isn't *precisely* the case.

As far as his picking a locale, well that's just Beck being provocative and trying to take on the mantle of the civil rights movement. It won't work, of course, but it doesn't *have* to work it just needs to make money and Beck will not be out any cash come 29 August (although I doubt the event will make a lot of money for the SWOF).

"People on the side of The People always ended up disappointed, in any case. They found that The People tended not to be grateful or appreciative or forward-thinking or obedient. The People tended to be small-minded and conservative and not very clever and were even distrustful of cleverness. And so, the children of the revolution were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn’t that you had the wrong kind of government, which was obvious, but that you had the wrong kind of people. As soon as you saw people as things to be measured, they didn’t measure up." (Terry Pratchett)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dreadgeek For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2010, 12:28 PM   #17
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,382 Times in 2,839 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadgeek View Post
Actually, it is almost certain that there *will* be political talk at the rally. Remember that saying "we have to defeat the Pelosi/Reid/Obama agenda" IS political speech. I doubt that Palin or Beck can stand up before a crowd for 10 minutes without taking some jab at Obama. Secondly, although Beck claims that all proceeds will go to the SOWF that is all proceeds *after* covering the cost of the event. So after Palin gets her speaking fee (god knows how much that will be) and after Beck gets *his* speaking fee and after the organization pays to cover the costs then the SOWF gets whatever is left. Now, I'm not saying that is shady--typically that's how benefits work but it should be noted that the claim that this is 'for charity' isn't *precisely* the case.

As far as his picking a locale, well that's just Beck being provocative and trying to take on the mantle of the civil rights movement. It won't work, of course, but it doesn't *have* to work it just needs to make money and Beck will not be out any cash come 29 August (although I doubt the event will make a lot of money for the SWOF).

I agree, at this point it is impossible for Beck to open his mouth without being political!
Old 08-24-2010, 12:50 PM   #18
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,702 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadgeek View Post

Yes, every fundraiser donates money after costs have been covered.

As to the locale, it would be far less offensive if Alveda King were not a guest speaker. Seems to me that after the passing of Coretta and Yolanda, that poor family has taken a downhill turn.
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2010, 01:05 PM   #19
dreadgeek
Power Femme

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalipstic View Post
In Becks article, he really says nothing.

I wonder about people who believe this Beck, Palin and News stuff too, whether people have always been this stupid or whether the media is providing a platform for these crazies to find each other and giving them a voice. UGH.

The November elections will be very interesting. It is so important that we all VOTE!
On TRMS last night, she had a guest on who was a former Bush admin flunkie who is Muslim talking about the ginned-up controversy regarding the community center in NYC (it's not a mosque, I'm not going to dignify the other side's narrative by calling it a mosque) and he was mentioning some of the loudest voices in this controversy. He said something interesting, to wit that the people who really got this ball rolling were known quantities in conservative circles but were SO kooky that they were on the margins and that now they have an opening. So now they are in out of the cold and getting a lot of national media attention and since the media does not care if what you say is true or not, particularly if what you say is controversial they will continue to get a platform.

The enthusiasm gap--that is part of the current narrative of "if you are an incumbent you've *already* been voted out of office" is entirely a creation of the Democrats. Look, I'm willing to bet anyone reading this that if you went around to a Tea Party rally or Sarah Palin appearance and asked what the conservative policy prescription is for X (where X is some issue needing policy) *perhaps* 1 in 20 could tell you what the GOP or Tea Party position is. What you *would* hear is that they'll "stand up for freedom" or "support small businesses" or "promote family values" or "not cower before the jihadists" or "protect our borders" but none of those are *policy* they are slogans. The point is that most conservatives don't *know* and don't seem to particularly *care* what actual *policies* would be implemented, rather they support conservative politicians because they believe that those politicians will stand up for the values that the rank-and-file believe in. In contrast, most liberal politicians don't know whether politicians from their part of the spectrum will stand-up for anything OTHER than their own re-election.

Do I think that *any* of the crop of candidates for the Democratic presidential nomination in 2008 is opposed to gay marriage on principal? No, not in the least. They are just too cowardly to stand up and *say* that they support gay marriage lest their conservative opponent paint them as "out of touch with mainstream America". So the problem the Dems have going into 2010 and 2012 is that rank-and-file members of the Democratic coalition--even very wonky folks like myself--have no idea what hill, if any, they are willing to die on. Will I vote? Yes. Will I vote the top of the ballot? Almost certainly although I'm tempted not to. Will I have any real enthusiasm about doing so? Not particularly.

Now, if it seems that liberals, progressives or Democrats (not synonyms for one another) have a raw deal that conservatives do not let me just say "not so fast". If you are a conservative reading this I want you to think about this: how long has the GOP been promising to get rid of Roe v. Wade? Going on four decades now. Is Roe still the law of the land? Yep. As tempting as it might be to point the finger at the Democrats in Congress or the three Democratic presidents we've had since 1973 it doesn't work. In 2002, American conservatives had the trifecta--they had the Executive branch, all BUT owned the Legislative branch and had the Rehnquist court which, while not a wholly owned subsidiary of the GOP, was entirely friendly to the idea of being done and rid of Roe. This state of affairs persisted for four *years*. The same could be said about gay rights. If conservatives were *ever* going to roll the clock back and make America actively hostile to queers as a matter of law and custom, they had their window of opportunity in that same period from 2002 until 2009. They did nothing. Why? Because while conservative politicians say they share your values, that doesn't mean that they *do* share those values. It just means that they recognize that running on a platform of "I make $500,000 a year, the people who are my actual constituency make $500,000 a year, we think that you should pay more taxes to fund tax cuts for us" is a losing proposition. However, running on a platform of "Muslims want to institute sharia law, while mandating that abortions will be forced on women by Hispanic doctors who are here illegally, all so that the gays and lesbians can get married and we will stop that" IS a winning platform. Roe v Wade isn't going anywhere for one simple reason: conservative fundraising is dependent upon its very existence. If Roe did not exist, the RNC would need to invent it.

Cheers
Aj

Old 08-24-2010, 01:09 PM   #20
dreadgeek
Power Femme

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Yes, every fundraiser donates money after costs have been covered.

As to the locale, it would be far less offensive if Alveda King were not a guest speaker. Seems to me that after the passing of Coretta and Yolanda, that poor family has taken a downhill turn.
Don't even get me started on Alveda King! If I am ever in the same room with that woman ever again, she and I are going round and round.

The Following User Says Thank You to dreadgeek For This Useful Post: