Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,872 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation
Default The Amazing Dorothy Allison

I wanted to start this thread to talk about Dorothy Allison's writing, impact on LGBT politics, and Feminism. If you have not read any of Dorothy Allison's work, please get to your local library or book store and pick up any of her books.

Also, feel free to share your thoughts on pieces of her writing, your favorite snippets or anecdotes, or general stories of how her writings have affected your life.

Dorothy will be at our Reunion party in October and many of you will get the chance to meet her in person and hear her speak live. It will change your life. No, I'm not kidding.

Dorothy-love goes here!
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Dorothy's Portfolio:

She Who. A novel, forthcoming (Penguin Putnam)

Trash, A Collection of Short Stories, 2002, Plume.

Cavedweller. Dutton, 1998.

Two or Three Things I know for Sure. Dutton, Fall, 1995.

Skin - Talking about Sex, Class & Literature, Firebrand Books, 1994. A collection of narrative essays.

Bastard out of Carolina, Dutton, 1992. A finalist for the National Book Award, a selection of the B. Dalton Discovery program, and winner of both the Ferro Grumley and Bay Area Book Reviewers Awards for fiction, Bastard Out of Carolina has been translated into more than a dozen languages and published in more than a dozen countries. In 1995, it was made into a movie directed by Angelica Huston and premiered on Showtime.

The Women Who Hate Me, Poetry 1980-1990. A chapbook. Firebrand Books, Ithaca, New York, 1991.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #3
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

My most favorite Dorothy Allison quote:

Two or three things I know for sure, and one is that I would rather go naked than wear the coat the world has made for me.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

And some of her best advice for writers:

"I need you to do more than survive. As writers, as revolutionaries, tell the truth, your truth in your own way. Do not buy into their system of censorship, imagining that if you drop this character or hide that emotion, you can slide through their blockades. Do not eat your heart out in the hope of pleasing them. "
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2011, 07:44 PM   #5
Julie

How Do You Identify?:
Angel * Femme * Lesbian * Girl * Woman * Slut * Bitch *
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
No longer a Virgin Bride to Dreamer ~ May 17th, 2014

Thanked 18,159 Times in 3,632 Posts
Julie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I read her book "Bastard out of Carolina," must have been almost 20 years ago. I need to see if I still have my copy... I should read it again. Thank you for reminding me. How blessed we are to have her speaking at the reunion. She is a brilliant writer and poet.

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps4d9fb6c0.jpg

I Love You ~ I Love Us
May 17, 2014
Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Julie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2011, 10:31 PM   #6
Ms. Meander

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Relationship Status:
Ethical Nonmonogamist

Thanked 5,221 Times in 1,148 Posts
Ms. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
My most favorite Dorothy Allison quote:

Two or three things I know for sure, and one is that I would rather go naked than wear the coat the world has made for me.
My all-time favorite quote, EVER.
My wish for you is that you continue. Continue to be who and how you are, to astonish a mean world with your acts of kindness. Continue to allow humor to lighten the burden of your tender heart. - Maya Angelou
Ms. Meander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ms. Meander For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2011, 07:49 PM   #7
jelli

How Do You Identify?:
Femmilicious
Preferred Pronoun?:
*she*
Relationship Status:
And you said I wasn’t your type!!!

Thanked 1,079 Times in 377 Posts
jelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputation

I started to read her book "Bastard Out of Carolina", but then ended up watching the movie. Too close to home for me. I was so torn with emotions about this piece.

I do have a couple of her writings(Trash and Two or Three Things I Know for Sure) on my list of want to personal reads, but haven't started either as of yet.

Sidenote: Dorothy Allison grew up here in Greenville, SC.

“Sometimes we make the right decision; sometimes we make the decision right.”

“Every conflict is a lesson in self-discovery for both of us. Sometimes it's only hindsight that makes it worth it. For you, I would do it all again.“
jelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:53 PM   #8
jelli

How Do You Identify?:
Femmilicious
Preferred Pronoun?:
*she*
Relationship Status:

jelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputation

"... suffering does not ennoble. It destroys. To resist destruction, self-hatred, or lifelong hopelessness, we have to throw off the conditioning of being despised, the fear of becoming the they that is talked about so dismissively, to refuse lying myths and easy moralities, to see ourselves as human, flawed, and extraordinary. All of us—extraordinary."

“Every conflict is a lesson in self-discovery for both of us. Sometimes it's only hindsight that makes it worth it. For you, I would do it all again.“
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jelli For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2011, 07:56 PM   #9
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelli View Post
I started to read her book "Bastard Out of Carolina", but then ended up watching the movie. Too close to home for me. I was so torn with emotions about this piece.

I do have a couple of her writings(Trash and Two or Three Things I Know for Sure) on my list of want to personal reads, but haven't started either as of yet.

Sidenote: Dorothy Allison grew up here in Greenville, SC.
Word. It's a hard, HARD book to read.

I told her a couple of years ago that I stopped writing my memoirs because of her. She got all indignant when I told her that she had already told my story and popped off with some of her hysterical Southern wit with something along the lines of "well, quit being lazy and tell it again." LOL!

"Two or Three Things I Know for Sure" is a lot easier to read and reminds me of the vignette style of "Women Who Run With the Wolves". Lots of short stories and pieces of prose there that will talk to your heart.

"Trash" is just as good. It really speaks to class issues and growing up working class.

Be on the lookout. I'm going to donate a set of her books here on the Planet and get folks to put their name in for a drawing!!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2011, 07:58 PM   #10
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Word. It's a hard, HARD book to read.

I told her a couple of years ago that I stopped writing my memoirs because of her. She got all indignant when I told her that she had already told my story and popped off with some of her hysterical Southern wit with something along the lines of "well, quit being lazy and tell it again." LOL!

"Two or Three Things I Know for Sure" is a lot easier to read and reminds me of the vignette style of "Women Who Run With the Wolves". Lots of short stories and pieces of prose there that will talk to your heart.

"Trash" is just as good. It really speaks to class issues and growing up working class.

Be on the lookout. I'm going to donate a set of her books here on the Planet and get folks to put their name in for a drawing!!
I was just considering what book to read next. One of these is my answer. Great timing for me. Thanks for posting about this.

Maya Angelou
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:59 PM   #11
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,118 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Lightbulb

I feel for me finding her work was eye opening and liberating all in one, then one day I met her, I was like a kid at Disney and then she spoke. Let me tell you, when she spoke it is as if she's reaching into your mid section and it's as is she knows the path you've walked. She's amazing, warm, kind and a pure force of nature.

I feel blessed, thankful, and lucky to hear her speak in person not only once but TWICE in my lifetime. I could listen to her for years.

Thanks BFP for that!
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2011, 08:00 PM   #12
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

And she's funny!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2011, 08:03 PM   #13
jelli

How Do You Identify?:
Femmilicious
Preferred Pronoun?:
*she*
Relationship Status:

Lightbulb History Is A Weapon

A Question of Class
by Dorothy Allison

http://www.historyisaweapon.com/defcon1/skinall.html

Old 08-23-2011, 08:03 PM   #14
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,118 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Lightbulb

"I think I would have died, if there hadn't been the women's movement"
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2011, 08:08 PM   #15
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

YES, MA'AM.

Her Feminism is so unapologetic. She doesn't "iron and take it up the ass at the same time".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2011, 08:31 PM   #16
Slater

How Do You Identify?:
Butch

Slater Has the BEST ReputationSlater Has the BEST ReputationSlater Has the BEST ReputationSlater Has the BEST ReputationSlater Has the BEST ReputationSlater Has the BEST ReputationSlater Has the BEST ReputationSlater Has the BEST ReputationSlater Has the BEST ReputationSlater Has the BEST ReputationSlater Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Dorothy will be at our Reunion party in October and many of you will get the chance to meet her in person and hear her speak live. It will change your life. No, I'm not kidding.

Dorothy-love goes here!
Please excuse me for a moment while I go squeee like a little fanboi. Oh wait, I'm not going to be at the Reunion. Crap. Still, I squeee for all of you who will be.

Many years ago when I worked for the Lesbian Resource Center and we were planning our 25th Anniversary celebration, I desperately wanted to get Dorothy as a speaker. I sent requests out every which way, hoping one would find its way to her in time. All of them did. She wasn't able to attend because of a scheduling conflict be she wrote me a very nice personal letter congratulating us and sending her regrets and all that. Let's just say that not every prominent lesbian we contacted about the event was quite so personable (although Lily Tomlin did leave us a nice voicemail).

Just a few weeks ago I ran across the video of Dorothy at the Femme Conference and I was thinking I need to re-read some of her stuff because it's been so long (I never did make it through Bastard though). I loved her essays and I learned a ton from them too.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:57 PM   #17
lettertodaddy

How Do You Identify?:
dorky queer femme bottom
Preferred Pronoun?:
feminine ones
Relationship Status:
single, dammit.

lettertodaddy Has the BEST Reputationlettertodaddy Has the BEST Reputationlettertodaddy Has the BEST Reputationlettertodaddy Has the BEST Reputationlettertodaddy Has the BEST Reputationlettertodaddy Has the BEST Reputationlettertodaddy Has the BEST Reputationlettertodaddy Has the BEST Reputationlettertodaddy Has the BEST Reputationlettertodaddy Has the BEST Reputationlettertodaddy Has the BEST Reputation

I love Dorothy Allison. I mean looooooooooooove her. Back when I was in undergraduate school and was taking a Southern Literature course (and the only African American and out queer student in the class), I recommended that the instructor add Bastard out of Carolina to the curriculum the next time she taught the class. Imagine my surprise when she did!

I can't remember which of her short story collections this story was in, but she has this one story about being in charge of the kitchen at a women's music festival, where she and another woman, faced with a mountain of tofu and vegan cooking, flirted with each other by discussing the kinds of forbidden, heart-attack inducing, rib-sticking, lip-smacking southern food they really like to cook. The thing that stuck with me most was the other woman saying to Dorothy "I'm gonna feed you, girl." Just thinking about that makes my heart go pitter pat.

Does anyone else remember that story or the collection it's in?
lettertodaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lettertodaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #18
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettertodaddy View Post
I love Dorothy Allison. I mean looooooooooooove her. Back when I was in undergraduate school and was taking a Southern Literature course (and the only African American and out queer student in the class), I recommended that the instructor add Bastard out of Carolina to the curriculum the next time she taught the class. Imagine my surprise when she did!

I can't remember which of her short story collections this story was in, but she has this one story about being in charge of the kitchen at a women's music festival, where she and another woman, faced with a mountain of tofu and vegan cooking, flirted with each other by discussing the kinds of forbidden, heart-attack inducing, rib-sticking, lip-smacking southern food they really like to cook. The thing that stuck with me most was the other woman saying to Dorothy "I'm gonna feed you, girl." Just thinking about that makes my heart go pitter pat.

Does anyone else remember that story or the collection it's in?
WHOOOOOOOOOOO! Let me fan myself!

"I'm gonna feed you, girl."

p.s. LOVE the screen name!
The Following User Says Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2011, 09:24 PM   #19
lettertodaddy

How Do You Identify?:
dorky queer femme bottom
Preferred Pronoun?:
feminine ones
Relationship Status:
single, dammit.

lettertodaddy Has the BEST Reputationlettertodaddy Has the BEST Reputationlettertodaddy Has the BEST Reputationlettertodaddy Has the BEST Reputationlettertodaddy Has the BEST Reputationlettertodaddy Has the BEST Reputationlettertodaddy Has the BEST Reputationlettertodaddy Has the BEST Reputationlettertodaddy Has the BEST Reputationlettertodaddy Has the BEST Reputationlettertodaddy Has the BEST Reputation

I just watched that Femme Collective video and cried the entire time. It was pure catharsis. Thank you for posting it, Medusa.
lettertodaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lettertodaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2011, 09:35 PM   #20
Novelafemme
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 8,925 Times in 1,834 Posts
Novelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST Reputation

I think I just woke up everyone in my house after reading that DA will be at the October event!!! I have everything written by her in my little library. Bastard Out Of Carolina was my introductory novel...think I read it back in 1993 and couldn't put it down.

On a similar note, today in my Chicana Feminisms class I found out that Cherrie Moraga will be coming to the UofA in December. I about peed my pants. AND our first reading was from Gloria Anzaldua's Borderlands. This semester is gonna blow my freakin' mind!
Novelafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Novelafemme For This Useful Post: