Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Support: Abuse, Addiction, Coping

Old 11-24-2010, 07:33 PM   #1
Softhearted

How Do You Identify?:
---
Preferred Pronoun?:
----
Relationship Status:
---

Softhearted Has the BEST ReputationSofthearted Has the BEST ReputationSofthearted Has the BEST ReputationSofthearted Has the BEST ReputationSofthearted Has the BEST ReputationSofthearted Has the BEST ReputationSofthearted Has the BEST ReputationSofthearted Has the BEST ReputationSofthearted Has the BEST ReputationSofthearted Has the BEST ReputationSofthearted Has the BEST Reputation
Default Am I the only one who hates Christmas time? (The Holidays in general)

For years, I have disliked Christmas and that time of the year. It is always a source of stress and frustrations... I was never able to get into the "spirit of the holidays" and actually, I have never put any decorations up for the moment I've left home...

Am I that much of a Scrooge? Am I the only one feeling this way?

Soft
Softhearted is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Softhearted For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2010, 07:51 PM   #2
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,892 Times in 5,770 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

This is the first year that I am not looking forward to it. I know it will be tough due to losing my father and maternal grandmother this year.

I am in the process of trying to figure out how to change things up this year for mom, starting a new tradition, or something. We are such a ritual type family...same meal on Christmas Eve, same Christmas breakfast every year, same rituals of opening gifts, singing Christmas Caroles in front of the video camera like a bunch of dorks, etc, for as long as I can remember. So, this year it will be sad and kind of sucky. Especially b/c my sister and her family won't be here.

There are a lot of people who struggle with the Holidays for one reason or another....or just simply get annoyed by the whole thing.... So no, you are not alone!

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2010, 07:53 PM   #3
katsarecool

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Woman
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 1,765 Times in 734 Posts
katsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputation

You are not alone!!! It is frustrating especially if a person is financially strapped for money or not a Christian. I never remember happy holidays as a child. And when I was a young mother I would start worrying about buying for my kids in Sept. They on the other hand remember Christmas as a very happy time.

I now do what I can for my grandkids and hope for the best.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:01 PM   #4
MysticOceansFL

How Do You Identify?:
Butch,
Preferred Pronoun?:
People call me by my nic name.
Relationship Status:
Not Single, Not Desperate.

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,720 Posts
MysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST Reputation

I don't like or dislike christmas it's just another day to me but if I were in a relationship I would give gift's to my partner.

It is said, " Some lives are linked across time.....

Connected by an ancient calling that echoes through the ages "......
MysticOceansFL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MysticOceansFL For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2010, 08:53 PM   #5
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation

You're not the only one.

I have managed to avoid immediate *family* gatherings for years thanks to people with whom I would rather spend my time.

Last edited by Soon; 11-24-2010 at 08:57 PM. Reason: grammar anal shite
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2010, 09:15 PM   #6
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I don't hate the holiday "season" per se, but, it isn't all that happy of a time for me. Since the deaths of key family, it just has a sad edge to it for me. Although, I do enjoy getting together with the family I have left and especially the kid and his kids!

I don't have a Christian-based take on Christmas, really anymore (have a hodgepodge of personal spiritual beliefs). That left me long ago. I do have some spiritual feelings and rituals around it (I do decorate but, view this from a more Pagan interpretation), however, but not Christian. Although, I will attend midnight Mass with family members that this has meaning for, especially elders. It isn't about me, it is about them.

I know people that have horrible and painful family of origin issues that the holidays make even harder for them. This makes me sad (and angry) and also more aware of how much I have to be grateful for in the family I do have.

Our community probably has many members that don't have a great time with the cluster of mainly Christian holidays this time of year.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2010, 09:33 PM   #7
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

I really dont dislike the hollidays,I do celebrate them with my son,my chosen family ect.But,for some reason I feel a bit like the kid looking from outside wishing he was inside.Many key family have passed over he years so the family isnt all that big anymore,we use to have some fun times before.I do decorate but am more pegan than christian,I have ceramic christmas trees mom and my aunt made that light up..they are put on the top of the intertainment center with other christmas decos,cards and stockings.This year im planting a blue spruce in the yard in memorie of my lost family.at the moment its in a huge pot till my son can dig a hole for it.Then I will plant it,pray over it for blessing for a new year with better health and happyness for everyone.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2010, 09:38 PM   #8
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Ol Butch Bones
Preferred Pronoun?:
Old G
Relationship Status:
Too old to play.

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

No temporary holiday really taught me to love , worship, and adore, my God, The Holy Mother, and Jesus like I do. They only taught me about temporary appearances, materialism, and traditions of men. I've always tried to hide from them, but I do not hate them. I like to see folks enjoying themselves... I did too when I was a stupid kid...
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glenn For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2010, 06:41 AM   #9
diamondrose

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,895 Times in 923 Posts
diamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputation

This time of year is myfavorite time of year. From Halloween thru New years. I just love the cooler weather, the leaves changing, and the smell of burning wood in fireplaces.
diamondrose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to diamondrose For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2010, 07:02 AM   #10
Ebon

How Do You Identify?:
With my souls eyes.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
lol

Thanked 11,144 Times in 2,755 Posts
Ebon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST Reputation

I don't like most Christian holidays because they were stolen from Pagans and Christianized (if that's a word lol). I don't like the pressure to buy people stuff, it all seems like people are tricked into this "spirit of giving" and companies profit from it. This spirit of giving should be all of the time. I do like the time that people get to spend together and hang out with their families. Even though the Native people on this continent got screwed after Thanksgiving I prefer it over Christmas any day.

I'm a Soul Rebel

http://wannabereverend.wordpress.com/

Spirituality is not a belief system or ideology, it is the surrender of one's ego to the infinite wisdom and knowledge that is the universe.
Ebon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ebon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2010, 06:28 PM   #11
HoneyedChrysanthemum

Exclamation re:holidays

i don't celebrate xmas or any other christian holiday,since i am not christian. i was raised pagan and am now buddhist/taoist, like my my femme sis, Lady Wu. all of my friends know this and do not ask me to any xmas or other christian functions. i will join others in their celebrations of pagan, heathen, jewish, buddhist, taoist holidays, essentially i will join in the holiday of any faith that is not exclusive. unfortunately, most christian denominations are exclusive: they believe that unless you are christian, you are going to hell, a concept that i do not subscribe to.
i really dislike being subjected to xmasxmasxmas from just about the end of all hallow's eve til the beginning of the new year. xmas carols on every station, xmas decorations in every shop window, xmas charity requests in every batch of mail....enough to make a normally even-tempered grrl want to scream! of course, i accept that this is price i must pay for living in a nominally christian country. and i do mean PRICE and PAY! i often wonder how truly religiously observant christians feel about the buybuybuy, spendspendspend commertialization of the date (really in the spring, this date was atake-over of the God Saturn) of the birth of their founder? do the number of the faithful to Jesus equal the number of the faithful in church on xmas eve/xmas equal the number of the faithful to money in the malls beforehand?
i was married to someone who really went all out for xmas and every other christian holidayfor many years, even though hy knew i was not christian. (hy had kept this hidden from me til AFTER we married and moved in together.) and guess who had to do all the decorating, xmas shopping, cooking, etc? right-me, the wife! hy even insisted that i decorate the LOBBY of the apt building where we lived! aaaargh! i don't mind CHRISTANS celebrating xmas, but why must hy inflict it upon me? if i never wrap another door in red, green, white and hang a wreath (a pagan/heathen custom, btw), it will not be too soon for me!
so, ravfem, i agree with your posts!
pres
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2010, 06:42 PM   #12
bigbutchmistie

How Do You Identify?:
Since You Need A Label. Butch
Relationship Status:
Still Dreaming Of My Happily Ever After

Thanked 5,364 Times in 1,941 Posts
bigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputation

Growing up Christmas wasnt celebrated with me, so when I met my biological mom we used to go all out with presents, spending time together, baking etc. When she died, well its back to being alone. I help charities but its still not the same, I HATE Christmas

bigbutchmistie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:48 PM   #13
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,382 Times in 2,839 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

I am traumatized at the very thought
Old 11-25-2010, 07:28 AM   #14
Cowboi

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Holding My Red Circle

1 Highscore

Thanked 3,962 Times in 1,230 Posts
Cowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST Reputation

The holidays just haven't been the same since my Momma died 17 years ago. I love the fall, the changing leaves, cool crisp days and nights, bonfires.
I have been on call Thanksgiving day just about every year since 1993 so that others with families can spend time together.
My BFF is on in house call today, I am going to meet her for lunch @ the hospital.

Hospitals make you hate the holidays also. I worked till 8:30 last night. We will be slammed through the 1st of the year.

Happy Holidays everyone...
Old 11-25-2010, 07:41 AM   #15
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

I would certainly agree that the holidays can bring pain as well as happiness.

My family keeps getting smaller...my dad dying 12 years ago and now my brother just a few weeks ago. It is a reminder that things are not the same. It is a reminder that place settings at the table are missing and the voices and laughter of years past are now just memories. This is hard to face and this is hard to swollow.

But, it is memories that get me through it. I believe there is also a lot of good things to see this time of year.

Even though charities are "open for buisness" all year, they are way more apparent around this time. "Coats for the cold" for example have hit a record high this season so far for the amount of coats being donated. The "Salvation Army" who i totally support get most of their donations from now until Christmas that keeps them going all year.

People have different reasons for dreading, disliking holidays. Just thought I'd share what makes them painful for *me* and to also share what I believe to be a wonderful reason to also be "thankful" they are around.

Hugz to all those who have a difficult time with all the holidays for whatever reason there is.....
Maya Angelou
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2010, 08:03 AM   #16
Miss Scarlett
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:

Thanked 12,949 Times in 3,419 Posts
Miss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST Reputation

I dread the holidays more than hate them.

For the last 20+ years I have worked in family law. Nearly every holiday, summer vacation and weekend bring escalated conflict over children.

It's always about power and control. The party behaving badly is either blind to the effect on the children or they just don't care - sometimes both. They decide that their interpretation of the Court's order is gospel. Never mind that the order reads "The minor children will spend the name your holiday with Parent A in even numbered years and with Parent B in odd numbered years." It's 2010 (obviously and EVEN numbered year) and Parent B declares the children will be with them and Parent A will just have to get over it.

Miss Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Miss Scarlett For This Useful Post: