Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 05-07-2010, 07:41 AM   #1
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation
Default Diabetic anyone?

Hi everyone...

Didn't see a thread on this topic, and wondered if any other planeteers are living with diabetes.

I got diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic just after my 40th birthday...runs in my family something fierce...but had evidently been walking around undiagnosed for a decade or more (according to the opthamologist and my retinopathy). I'm not insulin dependent (thank goodness...cuz I'm also needle-phobic), but control it with oral meds, diet and exercise.

I'd love to exchange tips, support (and sometimes just a good whine about what a pain it is to live like this) with others....

Old 05-07-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
Sabine Gallais

How Do You Identify?:
Adeodatus

Sabine Gallais Has the BEST ReputationSabine Gallais Has the BEST ReputationSabine Gallais Has the BEST ReputationSabine Gallais Has the BEST ReputationSabine Gallais Has the BEST ReputationSabine Gallais Has the BEST ReputationSabine Gallais Has the BEST ReputationSabine Gallais Has the BEST ReputationSabine Gallais Has the BEST ReputationSabine Gallais Has the BEST ReputationSabine Gallais Has the BEST Reputation

Diagnosed with Type II last year this time. Also controlling with diet, exercise and whatnot. Doing well mostly. Difficult to "live with" but not impossible. Lots of dietary changes obviously but being a former chef helps make this part of the deal is easier.

I also grow a lot of items which makes eating fresh and clean a lot more enjoyable.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:10 AM   #3
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,957 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Insulin dependant Diabetic diagnosed at 18, considered childhood onset.

I have had a heart attack at 39 (almost 40), and had a triple bypass done at 46, almost 3 years ago, largely due to the years I spent not taking care of myself properly.

Great thread idea!
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2010, 10:15 AM   #4
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,770 Times in 25,661 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

I am not diabetic, but am highly predisposed to it. I think this could be a very useful and informational thread for those who live with it and those who are trying not to develop it.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2010, 10:33 AM   #5
diamondrose

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,895 Times in 923 Posts
diamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputation

I have a good friend that lives with type II diabetes. She still loves her sweets but I try to encourage healthier options considering her situation. We also try to exercise regularly together to help manage her weight. Once we were at a store and her sugar droped. Since then , I carry a kit to test her sugar and things she made need if needed. Its serious stuff.
diamondrose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to diamondrose For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2010, 10:50 AM   #6
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

Yes I am diabetic. I am Type 2 as well. I was very thin, but got very sick with pneumonia and bronchitus (sp??). I was on steroids, and gained a ton of weight. That did me in. I am on pills now. I was on insulin, but with loosing weight, exercise, and so on, I am on the pills. WooHoo!

I have a long family history of diabetics in my family. I also have a long family history of cancer as well. I am not sure of the connection of the two diseases.

I have neuropathy in one of my feet. It feels like I am walking on a sponge. And the pain...the only way I can describe it is that I feel like a burn victim. It is just horrible. On a scale of 1 to 10 I am at a 10++++.

My eyesight was good, but I am loosing it each day. I highly recommend everyone who is diabetic to wear sunglasses, and to go get their eyes checked each year.

Don't take your health for granite. I used too. But boy was I taught a hard lesson.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2010, 10:53 AM   #7
GeekBear

How Do You Identify?:
transgender menace
Preferred Pronoun?:
he, him, his
Relationship Status:
Married to the RyRy!

GeekBear Has the BEST ReputationGeekBear Has the BEST ReputationGeekBear Has the BEST ReputationGeekBear Has the BEST ReputationGeekBear Has the BEST ReputationGeekBear Has the BEST ReputationGeekBear Has the BEST ReputationGeekBear Has the BEST ReputationGeekBear Has the BEST ReputationGeekBear Has the BEST ReputationGeekBear Has the BEST Reputation

I'm type II, diagnosed 3 years ago. I control my diabetes with diet, exercise and oral meds. I always knew it was coming because it does run in my family something awful but I try to make healthier food choices and exercise as much as I can. don't get me wrong, I still love my sweets and I'm a mountain dew addict, I just do everything in moderation now and some diet sodas like diet wild cherry pepsi are pretty darn tasty. I think this thread is a great thing and I have a ton of recipes to share if anyone likes a good guilt-free dessert let's keep each other motivated to live happy and be healthy ya'll!

~geek~
GeekBear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeekBear For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2010, 07:28 PM   #8
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,737 Times in 5,088 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation

Subscribing. I found everyone's posts very helpful to read. I am pre-diabetic and have been for quite awhile. Generally I do my best to eat healthy and exercise but when out of town or at a party or over-tired (the usual changes in routine or stress) I sometimes slip. There is diabetes in my family, and I know that I am insulin resistant (I am about 200 lbs). I keep a daily journal of what I am eating and when and what exercise I am getting. I also sometimes jot down feelings. I find it very helpful in that it keeps me more mindful.
nycfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2010, 07:34 PM   #9
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:

1 Highscore

JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

I'm glad you joined us nycfembbw...I'm an emotional eater...and being aware of my feelings can make a big difference in what and how much I eat. It helps.

It's good that you're aware of being pre-diabetic...doing what you can to take care of your health now can really help in the long run!
Old 05-10-2010, 10:46 AM   #10
ravfem

How Do You Identify?:
i'm a girl
Relationship Status:
negative

Thanked 3,126 Times in 1,269 Posts
ravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputation

hey y'all

When i was pregnant with my son 20 years ago i developed gestational diabetes and the mid-wife told me that it would put me at increased risk for developing diabetes later in life. Well, i assumed she meant "later" as in 30-40 years later, not 12 years later! There is no family history of it at all.

When i was diagnosed, my blood glucose levels were mid 400s. The dr tried pills and diet first, and my levels kept rising. A couple years into it, she said i'd have to go on insulin. It felt like a death sentence to me. i envisioned lost limbs and eye sight, and quickly spiraling towards death. For a short while i did consider saving up all my insulin and then taking it all at once to just get it over with.

Even with insulin & oral meds, my levels are still pretty high. The only time i get near normal is when i drop rapidly, which sends my body into survival mode even though i'm reading at 140-170. 2 years ago, my endocrinologist told me that for all intents & purposes i have morphed into a Type 1, and that for any medical related situations, i needed to make it clear to the people treating me.

Exercise does help bring me down below 300. i am by no means great with my diet (i am and always will be a chocolate lover, and refuse to give it up completely), though i do try to be conscious of what i eat.

Getting diagnosed and starting treatment immediately put an end to the chronic yeast infections i'd suffered since being a pre-teen. i kinda wonder if i wasn't diabetic back then...they didn't test like they do today, and i remember many times my mama giving me pineapple juice to "bring me back around".

Really, my biggest symptom has always been no energy. i can sleep 12-15 hours with no problem. Some days are worse than others.

Thanks for the thread Jo!

rhonda
Old 05-10-2010, 11:40 AM   #11
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:

1 Highscore

(((( ravfem ))))...thanks for joining us. I also had gestational diabetes...although we now believe it was actually just undiagnosed diabetes that we happened to catch when I was pregnant since I had what looked like 20 year old eye damage.

I also had chronic yeast infections...in fact, any little infection would run wild with me as a teenager and young adult. I also had high blood pressure even as young as 18, and always showed blood and protein in any urine test in college. Looking back...either diabetic or close to it, but as you said - they weren't testing then like they do now.

My hug for you is also about the fatigue...which I feel. There are days when I am so exhausted that all I want to do is sit down and cry, even when I feel like I haven't done enough to warrant that level of tiredness. And times when I will sit down on the couch to relax for a minute in the late afternoon or early evening and find myself sound asleep ...or struggling to keep my eyes open.

And, even more, for the feeling of helplessness and depression. When I was first diagnosed and told was the medications were, the blood testing, the diet, the needles...to poke my finger in the beginning and the prospect of injections in my future...it was all pretty overwhelming and depressing. For me, food has been a big part of my comfort, an expression of love, all of that emotional stuff hooked up with it. I remember sitting there and telling myself that all I had to do was get my son grown...and then I could stop taking meds, eat what I wanted and...well...if I died from diabetic complications young then I wouldn't be the first one. My feelings about that have changed (thankfully), but I still feel the depression and frustration more often than I'd like.

Hugs to everyone...feels good to be able to share this stuff.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:08 AM   #12
ruby36

How Do You Identify?:
stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
currently single

ruby36 is on a distinguished road
Default Diabeties

Yep - I am in my 40s and have recently been diagnosed with diabetes - not sure why as I am small framed and not overweight - just one of those things I guess. Fortunately I don't need meds yet and hopefully if I eat well I wont need them either. Thanks for this post. It's nice to share with others apart from the doctors lol.
ruby36 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ruby36 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2014, 10:29 PM   #13
Logicaly

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
She is the gamer girl to my gamer boy

Thanked 1,744 Times in 513 Posts
Logicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST Reputation

So, I am newly diagnosed diabetic. I have known for about two months now. I started getting really crazy thirsty all the time, nothing I did would quench my thirst, and as a result I was obviously peeing all night. My vision also started getting blurry around that time too. So I e-mailed my doctor and said hey, something is wrong, you need to test my a1c and my fasting glucose. Sure enough, fasting glucose was 224 and a1c was over 10%. Immediately put on Metformin 2000mg every night with dinner and lipitor for my triglycerides and told to limit my carbs.

So here I am, struggling to get my numbers out of the 200s, not really enjoying what I am eating, cause I am not a vegetable kind of person. I grew up steak and potatoes. I have given up sugar, which is huge for me and now I severely miss baking because I loved to bake. I have increased my exercise as well. I am losing weight, around 30lbs thus far. At some point, these numbers have got to go down. I am trying to avoid insulin.

I really, really miss eating whatever I want.
Logicaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Logicaly For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2014, 01:19 AM   #14
bright_arrow
☆ the stars are aligned ☆

How Do You Identify?:
strong, independent, badass redhead
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl, buttercup, sugah
Relationship Status:
married to my Boo Daddy <3

Thanked 9,359 Times in 2,295 Posts
bright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I have not had the weight loss or constant thirst, though some days over others I get insanely thirsty, and some days I just think water is gross, lol.
bright_arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:17 PM   #15
Logicaly

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
She is the gamer girl to my gamer boy

Thanked 1,744 Times in 513 Posts
Logicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by desd View Post
I have not had the weight loss or constant thirst, though some days over others I get insanely thirsty, and some days I just think water is gross, lol.
I have moments where I don't like how the water tastes either. That is most likely because I am spoiled by the fact that we have a uv filter at work. Perhaps need to look into getting one for the house so my water intake doesn't drop when I get home.
Logicaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Logicaly For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2014, 02:26 PM   #16
TruTexan

How Do You Identify?:
lesbian butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,268 Times in 1,633 Posts
TruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicaly View Post
I have moments where I don't like how the water tastes either. That is most likely because I am spoiled by the fact that we have a uv filter at work. Perhaps need to look into getting one for the house so my water intake doesn't drop when I get home.
Try getting one of those Brita Filter Pitchers, it makes the water taste so much better and if you get bored with just plain water, try using fresh fruits, lemmons, limes in an infuser pitcher, it's natural. Just don't put so much fruit in it.

PS. As far as substitute sugar like splenda goes, my regular physician told me NOT to use artificial sweetners of any kind, they aren't healthy for you she says.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:34 AM   #17
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicaly View Post
So, I am newly diagnosed diabetic. I have known for about two months now. I started getting really crazy thirsty all the time, nothing I did would quench my thirst, and as a result I was obviously peeing all night. My vision also started getting blurry around that time too. So I e-mailed my doctor and said hey, something is wrong, you need to test my a1c and my fasting glucose. Sure enough, fasting glucose was 224 and a1c was over 10%. Immediately put on Metformin 2000mg every night with dinner and lipitor for my triglycerides and told to limit my carbs.

So here I am, struggling to get my numbers out of the 200s, not really enjoying what I am eating, cause I am not a vegetable kind of person. I grew up steak and potatoes. I have given up sugar, which is huge for me and now I severely miss baking because I loved to bake. I have increased my exercise as well. I am losing weight, around 30lbs thus far. At some point, these numbers have got to go down. I am trying to avoid insulin.

I really, really miss eating whatever I want.
I love to bake as well,instead of sugar I am using splenda that is equal in measurement with sugar,but if you think you need less cut it by a couple of heaping table spoons till you get it right.I bake about all I use to with no problem.Look for ways to sub diffrent things to use in the mix...like apple sauce for for oil..there are ways.Chef John Flose has a whole book on doing things like this and they work just fine.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2014, 01:14 PM   #18
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,957 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Crap.

I have been having a lot of problems lately, and i found out yesterday that the diabetes has caused me to have stage 3 kidney disease. This explains some of my fatigue and especially the leg cramps...which has knocked me for a bit of a loop.

I am trying to get an appointment to see a nephrologist (sp), because i will do anything i can to avoid what my mom went through with kidney dialysis.
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post: