Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 01-23-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation
Default Do you or someone you know shake? Essential Tremors

This is definitely the most difficult post i have ever made. I've thought about doing it for awhile, but just couldn't muster up the courage to do it.

I have essential tremors. For those of you who don't know what that is, think...."Katheryn Hepburn" and remember her head shaking. That's what she had. Mine started in my 30s with a head jerk. It has progressed to a persistent "no no" motion that i cannot control. It's not there ALL the time, but it is there.

I was petrified going to the reunion thinking someone would say something....no one did. Even though it is not there all of the time, i'm sure it was some of the time. I thankfully did not get one comment. That's not so common in the general population. Not many days go by that i don't have someone ask me if i have Parkinsons or if i'm answering "no" to something they just said to me.

Here is a little bit about the disease:

Definition:

Essential tremor is a disorder of the nervous system that causes a rhythmic shaking. Essential tremor can affect almost any part of your body, but the trembling occurs most often in your hands — especially when you try to do simple tasks, such as drinking from a glass, tying shoelaces, writing or shaving. Essential tremor also may affect your head, voice, arms or legs.

In a study of individuals with ET, results of an advanced imaging technique known as positron emission tomography (PET), which examines the biochemistry of the brain, suggested an abnormality in the olivo-cerebellar tracts of the brain. In addition, PET testing in patients with essential tremor reveals increased activity in one brain region known as the cerebellum even while at rest, a finding that is consistent with the cerebellum having an important role in the generation of tremor.

The psychosocial effects of ET may be embarrassing and debilitating. ET may eventually affect the patient's ability to perform certain work-related tasks; interfere with activities of daily living; or lead to withdrawal from social activities and interactions due to embarrassment.

I am so self conscious of it. I've went to bed many nights crying because someone stared at me.

My father had it, it affected his gait and his arms mostly. There is a 50% chance a child will eventually get this if one of their parents has it. So far, my kids show no symptoms. But, i didn't either until i was in my 30s. It can affect your head, arms, voice and hands. Usually the hands and arms. I am lucky so far, and it just affects my head. But, i worry. Being a nurse, if my hands are affected, i'm in deep trouble. I watch them constantly and am petrified they will start shaking...so far, so good.

There are some treatments out there. Meds, beta blockers (which i used for 10 years and they worked great but lowered my blood pressure so low, i started fainting so i had to come off them) Anti-seizure meds and meds such as Xanax and Valium. They help to some degree, but not totally. There is also brain surgery where they insert an electrode in your brain. It's risky and it petrifies me to think about doing that.

Two things I hope that will come of this thread....

I am so very curious to know if anyone else here has this or a family member and maybe we can support each other. Maybe i'm not alone. Maybe it would be healthy to talk about this. Maybe i can help comfort another person who has to go through some of the same embarrassing comments and questions that i go through.

Number two.....

My mom called me tonight and she was excited. There is a breakthrough with the tremors and it is neurosurgery without being invasive. It was on ABC News.

Here's the link

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/patient...4#.Tx4LfoHnPR4

Thought i would share and see if there is someone else "out there" that may be very happy to hear about this or just wanna talk.

Maya Angelou
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

Thanked 6,801 Times in 1,553 Posts
justkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputation

Just saw this on our local news and thought about how far the world of medicine has come.

"A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success."
- Unknown -
justkim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justkim For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkim View Post
Just saw this on our local news and thought about how far the world of medicine has come.
Yes, you are right and it said that these "waves" may be a breakthrough for all sorts of things including Cancer.

I'm very optimistic. Very hopeful. I'll try and keep on top of it and for sure i'm going to ask my doc about it.....soon.

Maya Angelou
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2012, 08:26 PM   #4
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

Thanked 6,801 Times in 1,553 Posts
justkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputation

My foster sons had many speech issues and the Occhealth people used a swing type thing to help develop the inner ear or something like that. The swing looked like a tire that was connected to the ceiling with three ropes and it swung in a pendulum motion, not so much a circular motion... if that makes sense. It is also suppose to help people who have balance issue....
Sometimes stuff just stays in my head and then the knowledge comes pouring out...

"A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success."
- Unknown -
justkim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justkim For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #5
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

For years I have had restles leg problems and took flexerill 5mg to help with it,now as I have gotten a bit more down the road I am haveing some twitching in my arms neck and shoulders,it usely happends when im tired or late in the day.I really havent said anything to my doc about it,not long ago I got this pain in my shin bone like being stabed witha 18 gauge needle.I have an appointment with my doc in Febuary with an orthopedic and I am going to see what she says,I have mentioned it to my medicaid doc and he says its cause of my injuries in my spine and neck,he may be right.There are times I dont have anything happen then bam its back in some way.Im also takeing meclizine for an inner ear thing that I have delt with since I was in knickers,in reality its more of a nusence but can be embarrasing when it pops up out of nowhere.The folks I know who are aware of it and the quirkey things that happen just ignore it,the ones who make comments or look at me strange I nignore them.The strange thing is sitting totaly still is near impossable,unless I am reading a book or doing something that keeps my mind locked in to it.
I am not makeing lite of this at all,as it can be serious in some people,I have worked with folks with nervous problems so I take it in stride.Ive also wondered if I am developing some othe nervous thing like parkenston.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #6
clay
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch (Silver Fox) Dom Daddi
Preferred Pronoun?:
50 Shades of Clay Darker & Deeper
Relationship Status:
married to my forever

Thanked 31,703 Times in 7,722 Posts
clay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Belle......I am one of those who wouldn't "see it" either...as I look on the inside of a person..at their heart, their soul...
I dated a woman a coupl eyears ago...who was a cutter many years ago...she had prominent scars along inner arms and at sides of neck...I never mentioned it..instead always telling her incredibly beautiful she was...one day she looked at me and asked.."how come you have never said a word about the scars..i said "because I didn't see them, I was so busy looking inside at your heart & soul...she broke out in tears..and I am like..what??? did I say something worng..she said no you said everything right..YOU are a beautiful soul....ETA..she will call me along and ask me to please take her back....that no one had ever treated her like I did....but I can't...she loves ETOH too much!
I have to agree with Jagg...you ARE such a beautiful being..and THAT is what all the Planeteers see...your radinace..your loving soul..your spirit and heart....grin
Old 01-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #7
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinonahigh View Post
For years I have had restles leg problems and took flexerill 5mg to help with it,now as I have gotten a bit more down the road I am haveing some twitching in my arms neck and shoulders,it usely happends when im tired or late in the day.I really havent said anything to my doc about it,not long ago I got this pain in my shin bone like being stabed witha 18 gauge needle.I have an appointment with my doc in Febuary with an orthopedic and I am going to see what she says,I have mentioned it to my medicaid doc and he says its cause of my injuries in my spine and neck,he may be right.There are times I dont have anything happen then bam its back in some way.Im also takeing meclizine for an inner ear thing that I have delt with since I was in knickers,in reality its more of a nusence but can be embarrasing when it pops up out of nowhere.The folks I know who are aware of it and the quirkey things that happen just ignore it,the ones who make comments or look at me strange I nignore them.The strange thing is sitting totaly still is near impossable,unless I am reading a book or doing something that keeps my mind locked in to it.
I am not makeing lite of this at all,as it can be serious in some people,I have worked with folks with nervous problems so I take it in stride.Ive also wondered if I am developing some othe nervous thing like parkenston.
Definitely get it checked out.

Just to be clear...I DO NOT have Parkinson's. There are many people who do. There are many diseases that are not diagnosed correctly at the beginning and it can cause them to progress when they don't have to.

I have found with my shaking that people i am around a lot get, i suppose, used to it and don't notice it that much. People who i just meet, however, do notice it. Stress has a lot to do with it too.

You are on the right track. Take ownership of your symptoms and your body. Research, study and demand tests be done that you know would benefit you.

Good luck to you and keep us posted.

Maya Angelou
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
JAGG
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
JAGG
Relationship Status:
=)

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,543 Times in 4,141 Posts
JAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessbelle View Post
This is definitely the most difficult post i have ever made. I've thought about doing it for awhile, but just couldn't muster up the courage to do it.

I have essential tremors. For those of you who don't know what that is, think...."Katheryn Hepburn" and remember her head shaking. That's what she had. Mine started in my 30s with a head jerk. It has progressed to a persistent "no no" motion that i cannot control. It's not there ALL the time, but it is there.

I was petrified going to the reunion thinking someone would say something....no one did. Even though it is not there all of the time, i'm sure it was some of the time. I thankfully did not get one comment. That's not so common in the general population. Not many days go by that i don't have someone ask me if i have Parkinsons or if i'm answering "no" to something they just said to me.

Definition:

Essential tremor is a disorder of the nervous system that causes a rhythmic shaking. Essential tremor can affect almost any part of your body, but the trembling occurs most often in your hands — especially when you try to do simple tasks, such as drinking from a glass, tying shoelaces, writing or shaving. Essential tremor also may affect your head, voice, arms or legs.

In a study of individuals with ET, results of an advanced imaging technique known as positron emission tomography (PET), which examines the biochemistry of the brain, suggested an abnormality in the olivo-cerebellar tracts of the brain. In addition, PET testing in patients with essential tremor reveals increased activity in one brain region known as the cerebellum even while at rest, a finding that is consistent with the cerebellum having an important role in the generation of tremor.

The psychosocial effects of ET may be embarrassing and debilitating. ET may eventually affect the patient's ability to perform certain work-related tasks; interfere with activities of daily living; or lead to withdrawal from social activities and interactions due to embarrassment.

I am so self conscious of it. I've went to bed many nights crying because someone stared at me.

My father had it, it affected his gait and his arms mostly. There is a 50% chance a child will eventually get this if one of their parents has it. So far, my kids show no symptoms. But, i didn't either until i was in my 30s. It can affect your head, arms, voice and hands. Usually the hands and arms. I am lucky so far, and it just affects my head. But, i worry. Being a nurse, if my hands are affected, i'm in deep trouble. I watch them constantly and am petrified they will start shaking...so far, so good.

There are some treatments out there. Meds, beta blockers (which i used for 10 years and they worked great but lowered my blood pressure so low, i started fainting so i had to come off them) Anti-seizure meds and meds such as Xanax and Valium. They help to some degree, but not totally. There is also brain surgery where they insert an electrode in your brain. It's risky and it petrifies me to think about doing that.

I am so very curious to know if anyone else here has this or a family member and maybe we can support each other. Maybe i'm not alone. Maybe it would be healthy to talk about this. Maybe i can help comfort another person who has to go through some of the same embarrassing comments and questions that i go through.

Number two.....

My mom called me tonight and she was excited. There is a breakthrough with the tremors and it is neurosurgery without being invasive. It was on ABC News.

Here's the link

Thought i would share and see if there is someone else "out there" that may be very happy to hear about this or just wanna talk.

No one said anything because we love you just the way you are!!! You're perfect to us Belle!!!!!! =)
Old 01-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #9
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGG View Post
No one said anything because we love you just the way you are!!! You're perfect to us Belle!!!!!! =)
Stop that!!!!!!

Not that i wasn't crying enough already!!!!!

lol.

Thanks Jagg, you are precious.

Maya Angelou
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #10
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGG View Post
I will second that,Miss Bell u r awsome.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2012, 08:59 PM   #11
Novelafemme
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 8,925 Times in 1,834 Posts
Novelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessbelle View Post

Definition:

Number two.....

Here's the link

I was gonna say the same thing as JAGG did, Belle!! Kudos to you for having the courage to share. I know we've never met but I think you are the darned sweetest person on the Planet!! And even if you were nodding "no" at me, I'd take it as a sign to keep my mouth shut...which is generally a good idea for me!

I will keep you in my thoughts and let you know if I hear anything.

XOXO, Novela
Novelafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Novelafemme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #12
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelafemme View Post
I was gonna say the same thing as JAGG did, Belle!! Kudos to you for having the courage to share. I know we've never met but I think you are the darned sweetest person on the Planet!! And even if you were nodding "no" at me, I'd take it as a sign to keep my mouth shut...which is generally a good idea for me!

I will keep you in my thoughts and let you know if I hear anything.

XOXO, Novela
You know...funny thing about that.

I've always thought that if i was destined to "nod", it keeps me farther away from trouble since i nod "no". If i nodded yes, i may get into some things i didn't plan on.

Dangerous part though....i would never go to an auction. A nod down here in the south and you can wind up owning a head of cattle or worse.

Strange thing is....all my relatives who shake, which is most of them, all shake "yes". I'm the only "no" in the family.

Leave it to me to be different

And ya'll thanks for all the love here. I do appreciate the support and i'm very happy that i finally had the guts to talk about this.

xoxoxoxoxo

Maya Angelou
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post: