Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > RELATIONSHIPS, COMMUNITY, GROUPS > Building Community On Butchfemmeplanet.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-13-2010, 09:50 AM   #1
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation
Lightbulb Hate crime close to home....what is your take....

I orignally posted this in the news thread but decided to make a new thread and perhaps start a discussion on ideas and suggestions for those that struggle with being who we are as opposed to being watchful of our safety....

Lesbian couple's Vonore home burns; arson suspected
By Chloé Morrison
chloem@thedailytimes.com
Originally published: September 11. 2010 3:01AM
Last modified: September 10. 2010 11:05PM

VONORE — Carol Ann Stutte and her partner, Laura Stutte, are afraid to return alone to what is left of their Vonore home in Monroe County.

After being victims of an arson and having the word “queers” spray painted on their garage, the lesbian couple is fearful for their safety.

“We would love to stay (in the area),” Carol Stutte said Friday. “But we will never, never rebuild (on that property) again. I take someone with me constantly — one or two people to make sure I'm OK while I'm up there.”

Detective Travis Jones, with the Monroe County Sheriff's Department, said authorities aren't releasing many details about the fire — which happened Sept. 4 at about 10 p.m.

“It is an arson and we are continuing the investigation,” he said Friday. “There are people of interest in the case,” and authorities, including the state Bomb and Arson Squad, are still conducting interviews.

The Stuttes' home was a complete loss. “There is nothing left,” Carol Stutte said. “They are calling it a black hole,”

The couple, who have been together for more than 16 years, were in Nashville celebrating the five-year anniversary of moving into their Vonore home, the night it was burned to the ground.

Carol Stutte's daughter from a previous marriage would have been at the home at the time, but decided to go with the couple to Nashville.

“She would've been trapped,” Carol Stutte said.

Carol Stutte said she and Laura have been being harassed and threatened, specifically by one neighbor, on and off for about five years.

“The last in-depth threats were several weeks ago,” Carol Stutte said.

The couple tried to ignore the threats, but eventually decided to file a report with the Sheriff's Office.

“We tried to turn the other cheek and overlook it,” Carol Stutte said. “When (the latest threats) finally happened we thought we better go file a police report. (The threats) have really been scaring us for some time.”

Carol Stutte said that, despite the arson, she has been blessed with support from people in the area, who want to help.

Local support
Becky Lucas, president of Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays Maryville, said she is outraged by the Vonore arson.

“We are hopeful that the authorities will investigate it fully and that this couple will get justice,” she said Friday. “I think this happens every day to people in this community and many times they don't speak up because they are afraid. Everybody deserves basic human rights.”

She also said she wants the Stuttes to know they have support in the area.

“We want to send a message to this couple and other couples like them — you do have many allies in this area,” Lucas said. “Many people in the community are just as outraged as I am.”

Daily Times Assistant Managing Editor Amanda Greever contributed to this story.

__________________________________________________ _____________

My heart goes out to this couple and everyone that has been in the middle of hate crimes. *sighs....just makes me sick. More than that...scares me to death. Vonore is less than 10 miles from my home.

My thoughts....
I live alone.
I am perceived as being straight....I hate that assumption.
I've been considering lately to stand up for who I am.
I want to fly a rainbow flag in my front yard. I want a sticker for my car. I have that right. It is so hard, for me, living here to honor who I am and to support my community. And at the same time, I don't want to be abused by hate crimes or worse.

I struggle with this....daily and there is no great answer or not one that I can find.

I'm sick of hiding however I don't want to stand out like a sore thumb and draw bad attention. I just have a right to be who i am...don't i? Moving is out of the question...at least right now.

Similar situations out there with this delima? Thoughts anyone?
but people will never forget how you made them feel. ~
Maya Angelou
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post: