How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,872 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation
Default Pet-Friendly World - People UNfriendly?

This might seem like an off-the-wall topic but I genuinely was wondering what other people's opinions were on this subject.

Jack and I have a big-n-pretty Golden Retriever. When she was a puppy, I took her to Petsmart and Petco several (hundred) times to socialize her. We also took her to the dog park, etc. We still take her public places even though she is now 80 pounds.

I know that pet stores tend to be friendly about bringing animals in the store and we also discovered a Barnes and Noble bookstore when we lived in California that was cool with bringing Gracie into the store (as long as she didn't go into the coffee shop area. Also in California, there were several cafes that had outdoor areas where Gracie could be.

Interestingly enough, Lowe's and Home Depot in the city where we are now also allow dogs in their stores as well as our local tractor supply place. I didn't know this about Lowe's and thought it was cool so I did a little checking around the net to see if it was a store-by-store policy or if it's systemwide. (It's store by store.)

During my search, I found a website where customers of various stores were complaining about people bringing dogs in with them. One particular person complained that she went to a Home Depot and that she became irritated seeing someone walk her Labrador around and that "dogs are nasty and belong at home".
There were other people who complained of being allergic to dogs and a Mother who was "horrified" that people put dogs in shopping carts because her kid had to sit in the shopping cart and "what about all the germs!"

Then there was a store clerk who said that she liked having dogs brought into the store because she had never had to clean up after a dog (unlike other people's children) and that she had never had a dog break merchandise (unlike other people's children).

My job is about to host a "bring your pet to work day" and someone has already started complaining that they are allergic to dogs.

Just wondering what are people's opinions on pets at work, pets at stores, etc.?

Last edited by Medusa; 04-25-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post: