Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > GENDER AND IDENTITY > The Lesbian Zone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2018, 02:44 PM   #1
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy
 
39 Highscores

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hanging out in the Atlantic.
Posts: 9,234
Thanks: 9,840
Thanked 34,615 Times in 7,637 Posts
Rep Power: 21474861
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation
Default


What do you do to promote visibility/awareness?

I've been out for over 40 years and never had the need to promote the visibility of or awareness of lesbians or myself as a lesbian.

I have never hidden who I was and never understood people who felt they needed to live dual lives. I found a peace, pride, and acceptance in just living my life without apologies or excuses.

I hope I have been and will continue to be a role model to other women to do female and woman as it fits them rather than adhere to arbitrary stereotypes expected from outsiders or insiders. THAT is more important to me.

What others might see as acts of kindness, I see as being human. I dont shovel out my elderly neighbors car because I am a lesbian. I dont bring them their newspaper or mail in bad whether because of my lesbianism either.

In my experience, people dont give a rats ass who I choose to sleep with. Such thoughts dont even enter peoples minds as much as we think they do LOL. They do care about who I am as a human being.

I find I encounter more and more issues of "visibility/awareness" and respect within the queer community than I do outside of it.

I find the sexism and misogyny to be quite obvious and offensive.

I find there are more stereotypical assumptions and presumptions made about who I SHOULD be as both a woman and a lesbian rather than accepting an actual display of diversity, something which we are fond of promoting but have noticeable troubling doing.

I have had to address respecting lesbian spaces in a mixed community in many different venues. I wondered if this thread was placed in the lesbian zone for the sake of lesbians or to encroach on lesbian space? Dunno. Only the OP can answer that.

I have often, of late, had to address what a lesbian is to people within the queer spectrum who need lesbian to be something other than what it is. And, I have to address the same issue with outsiders who mistake atypical femaleness for transgenderism.

Frankly, it is all getting rather tiresome.

__________________




Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 03:04 PM   #2
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Dominant Stone Butch Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: In A Healing Place
Posts: 5,371
Thanks: 18,160
Thanked 22,634 Times in 4,461 Posts
Rep Power: 21474857
BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post

I find there are more stereotypical assumptions and presumptions made about who I SHOULD be as both a woman and a lesbian rather than accepting an actual display of diversity, something which we are fond of promoting but have noticeable troubling doing.

I have had to address respecting lesbian spaces in a mixed community in many different venues. I wondered if this thread was placed in the lesbian zone for the sake of lesbians or to encroach on lesbian space? Dunno. Only the OP can answer that.

I have often, of late, had to address what a lesbian is to people within the queer spectrum who need lesbian to be something other than what it is. And, I have to address the same issue with outsiders who mistake atypical femaleness for transgenderism.
Ascot was talking about life experience living as a butch dyke so how is that an encroachment on lesbian space?

Bolded portions: You complain about stereotypical assumptions about who you should be as a woman and lesbian, then a few paragraphs later talk about having to tell others what lesbians are or are not.

Do you not see the irony/double standards here?
__________________
Love consists in this, that two solitudes protect and touch and greet each other.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 04:50 PM   #3
Esme nha Maire
Member

How Do You Identify?:
Tomboyish eccentric antique femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
single
 
Esme nha Maire's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 642
Thanks: 2,196
Thanked 2,079 Times in 541 Posts
Rep Power: 19310771
Esme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST Reputation
Default

Interesting post, Kobi. I know what you mean about just being oneself, and I feel very much like you on that subject. Ditto being kind to others, ditto misogyny and sexism. I am curious about your comment regarding lesbian spaces, and in particular, the bit about people 'need lesbian to be something other than what it is' - could you elucidate, please? I thought the term lesbian was straightforward and generally understood - a woman that finds other women sexually attractive - and, perhaps it's due to a difference in culture between the USA and the UK, but I've never heard of anyone thinking it to mean anything else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post

What do you do to promote visibility/awareness?

I've been out for over 40 years and never had the need to promote the visibility of or awareness of lesbians or myself as a lesbian.

I have never hidden who I was and never understood people who felt they needed to live dual lives. I found a peace, pride, and acceptance in just living my life without apologies or excuses.

I hope I have been and will continue to be a role model to other women to do female and woman as it fits them rather than adhere to arbitrary stereotypes expected from outsiders or insiders. THAT is more important to me.

What others might see as acts of kindness, I see as being human. I dont shovel out my elderly neighbors car because I am a lesbian. I dont bring them their newspaper or mail in bad whether because of my lesbianism either.

In my experience, people dont give a rats ass who I choose to sleep with. Such thoughts dont even enter peoples minds as much as we think they do LOL. They do care about who I am as a human being.

I find I encounter more and more issues of "visibility/awareness" and respect within the queer community than I do outside of it.

I find the sexism and misogyny to be quite obvious and offensive.

I find there are more stereotypical assumptions and presumptions made about who I SHOULD be as both a woman and a lesbian rather than accepting an actual display of diversity, something which we are fond of promoting but have noticeable troubling doing.

I have had to address respecting lesbian spaces in a mixed community in many different venues. I wondered if this thread was placed in the lesbian zone for the sake of lesbians or to encroach on lesbian space? Dunno. Only the OP can answer that.

I have often, of late, had to address what a lesbian is to people within the queer spectrum who need lesbian to be something other than what it is. And, I have to address the same issue with outsiders who mistake atypical femaleness for transgenderism.

Frankly, it is all getting rather tiresome.

Esme nha Maire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Esme nha Maire For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 05:22 PM   #4
Clyde
Member

How Do You Identify?:
Mr. Queer Butch.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/They.
Relationship Status:
Butchelor.
 
Clyde's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Portland.
Posts: 256
Thanks: 320
Thanked 700 Times in 195 Posts
Rep Power: 11912191
Clyde Has the BEST ReputationClyde Has the BEST ReputationClyde Has the BEST ReputationClyde Has the BEST ReputationClyde Has the BEST ReputationClyde Has the BEST ReputationClyde Has the BEST ReputationClyde Has the BEST ReputationClyde Has the BEST ReputationClyde Has the BEST ReputationClyde Has the BEST Reputation
Default

I think I promote visibility just by walking out my door I don't think anyone reads me as anything other than a big honkin' butch.
__________________
Find a reason to be happy right now.
Clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Clyde For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 07:40 PM   #5
Ascot
Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preppy Butch artist
Relationship Status:
Riding solo
 
Ascot's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North of the Emerald City
Posts: 1,135
Thanks: 179
Thanked 2,487 Times in 549 Posts
Rep Power: 21474852
Ascot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST Reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
I think I promote visibility just by walking out my door I don't think anyone reads me as anything other than a big honkin' butch.
This made me laugh aloud. I'm sure the same goes for me, and I think it's a good thing. We're just people making our way in the world, no harm, no foul.
__________________
Now, if I could just find a way to get paid for what I can do with my tongue and a cherry stem.
Ascot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ascot For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 07:38 PM   #6
Ascot
Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preppy Butch artist
Relationship Status:
Riding solo
 
Ascot's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North of the Emerald City
Posts: 1,135
Thanks: 179
Thanked 2,487 Times in 549 Posts
Rep Power: 21474852
Ascot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST Reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post


Frankly, it is all getting rather tiresome.

Funny. That's precisely what I feel about antagonistic curmudgeonliness!


Why wouldn't I post this in the lesbian zone? Among other things, I am a lesbian, so yeah...
__________________
Now, if I could just find a way to get paid for what I can do with my tongue and a cherry stem.
Ascot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ascot For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 07:41 PM   #7
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up
 
girl_dee's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Livin’ the Dream
Posts: 24,079
Thanks: 30,560
Thanked 54,819 Times in 13,908 Posts
Rep Power: 21474874
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation
Default

i have a marriage equality sticker on my car.

Honestly i am afraid of retaliation in this neck of the woods, so i stay rather invisible among the population.

girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 07:55 PM   #8
EnchantedNightDweller
Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
her, she
Relationship Status:
Being single is a good thing and I like it.
 
EnchantedNightDweller's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,492
Thanks: 2,907
Thanked 2,462 Times in 803 Posts
Rep Power: 21474850
EnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST Reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl_dee View Post
i have a marriage equality sticker on my car.

Honestly i am afraid of retaliation in this neck of the woods, so i stay rather invisible among the population.

That's how I feel too, Dee. I appreciate so much the people who do stand up for us. But this is still the south and I don't think things are quite as progressive yet. Trans people in particular are often afraid of being discovered. It's just the reality.
EnchantedNightDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to EnchantedNightDweller For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 07:57 PM   #9
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up
 
girl_dee's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Livin’ the Dream
Posts: 24,079
Thanks: 30,560
Thanked 54,819 Times in 13,908 Posts
Rep Power: 21474874
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnchantedNightDweller View Post
That's how I feel too, Dee. I appreciate so much the people who do stand up for us. But this is still the south and I don't think things are quite as progressive yet. Trans people in particular are often afraid of being discovered. It's just the reality.
it is, i never felt like this anywhere i’ve lived, even New Orleans. I don’t wave the flag but i’m not going to hide either.

i am out on my job completely, but i feel safe there. That's not always the case.
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 07:57 PM   #10
JDeere
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single
 
JDeere's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 17,752
Thanks: 31,018
Thanked 28,831 Times in 9,707 Posts
Rep Power: 21474866
JDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST Reputation
Default

Its obvious what i am as soon as i walk out the door. I dont wave flags, have stickers on my truck etc. Never felt the need to be more visible in the community.
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JDeere For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 08:00 PM   #11
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up
 
girl_dee's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Livin’ the Dream
Posts: 24,079
Thanks: 30,560
Thanked 54,819 Times in 13,908 Posts
Rep Power: 21474874
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDeere View Post
Its obvious what i am as soon as i walk out the door. I dont wave flags, have stickers on my truck etc. Never felt the need to be more visible in the community.
that’s where i envy butches sometimes. i know the struggle can be big but you never have to go around outing yourself all the time.
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 08:31 PM   #12
JDeere
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single
 
JDeere's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 17,752
Thanks: 31,018
Thanked 28,831 Times in 9,707 Posts
Rep Power: 21474866
JDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST Reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl_dee View Post
that’s where i envy butches sometimes. i know the struggle can be big but you never have to go around outing yourself all the time.
Thats true we dont have to go around outing ourselves. I know about the femme invisiblity issues as well, my ex's have had that happen to them all the time so i do understand the need for more visibility.
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDeere For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2018, 01:31 AM   #13
cathexis
Senior Member

How Do You Identify?:
Trotskyist, Anarcho-syndicalist
Preferred Pronoun?:
They, Them, Their, Sir Bitch
Relationship Status:
open
 
cathexis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Great White North!
Posts: 4,332
Thanks: 16,812
Thanked 4,705 Times in 1,604 Posts
Rep Power: 21474851
cathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl_dee View Post
that’s where i envy butches sometimes. i know the struggle can be big but you never have to go around outing yourself all the time.
Yeah, but there's a flip side to not being obviously butch. Was brought to my attention during a conversation about 25 years ago between my ex-husband (obviously ethnically Jewish), my now lover (very butch and unable to hide), and myself (able to blend into straight and non-Jewish crowds, but am gender bent). How safe I feel on my Partner's arm, but is She safe having me there?


If you are a person who can blend in, be aware of the weight those who cannot must carry. In many places at present, it may result in a pleasant acknowledgement. But don't forget how quickly those tables can turn. Wasn't so long ago , 1940s Holocaust and 1960s Stonewall that our sisters (and brothers) were getting their heads smashed in and being gassed.

The political climate of the world could well lead to similar atrocities.
We just need to be aware and know that all is not safe. When will the next Charlottesville happen, and how far will the fascists push it this time?
__________________
Insurrection is an art, and like all arts has its own laws. -----Leon Trotsky
cathexis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cathexis For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 07:56 PM   #14
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Dominant Stone Butch Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: In A Healing Place
Posts: 5,371
Thanks: 18,160
Thanked 22,634 Times in 4,461 Posts
Rep Power: 21474857
BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation
Default

I feel very visible just walking around too. I think I pretty much fit the stereotype of butch dyke/lesbian, although I also don't think most people really get what butch is all that well.

If someone were to mistake me for being trans, it wouldn't bother me one bit since there's nothing wrong with being trans and someone could look exactly like me and be TG butch or trans and not have transitioned yet or not be on T. Butch lesbians/dykes can look all kinds of different ways just like anyone else.

I'm not worried about keeping some purified version of lesbian alive or being a gatekeeper. I do lesbian my way, you do it your way, and if you don't i.d. as lesbian that's cool too.

Sometimes kids ask me if I am a girl or boy. I tell them girl but don't make a big deal about it (lol it makes me laugh because I definitely don't relate to girl). I also don't correct them if they call me he. They figure it out in their own way, and I love that. I also love being around kids or other butches being around them to give them exposure to different types of people. Kids are fun to play with too.

I don't think I consciously go out of my way to increase visibility but when you are butch I think you kind of do anyway. Mostly, yeah I would like people to see us as regular human beings who work, go grocery shopping, pay our taxes, vote, etc. just like they do.
__________________
Love consists in this, that two solitudes protect and touch and greet each other.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:00 PM.


ButchFemmePlanet.com
All information copyright of BFP 2018