Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #1
Sun
Senior Member

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single
 
Sun's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: N/A
Posts: 1,775
Thanks: 4,557
Thanked 5,551 Times in 1,456 Posts
Rep Power: 21474854
Sun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST Reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco View Post
Hi Veggie Lovers,

Well, I have what I think is a dumb question, but I must ask it...background, I now have an electric stove with, get this, a glass top, no burners...so, question, how does this affect the cooking, steaming, etc? I'm not using it yet, but like to prepare before hand. Region where I'm living now is nothing but electric everything! Have they not thought of sustainability? OK, I don't want to rant, but am interested in information about cooking on this glass top electric stove.

warm regards, Greco
Hi Greco,

My experience is that glass top stoves heat up fast and keep the temperature pretty steady. So my advice is not to walk away from anything that you are cooking until you get used to it. You will not have the quick change control over temps as you would with gas. So if you are bringing a pot down from say, boiling to simmering you may need to remove the pot from the burner for a few minutes to let the temperature adjust. Also cleaning the glass can be a challenge. They scratch up easily. There are certain non abrasive cleaners that you can buy however.
__________________

“Lovers don't finally meet somewhere. They're in each other all along.”
― Rumi

Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
Greco
Senior Member

How Do You Identify?:
GNC, not Trans, REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
 
Greco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In a good life.
Posts: 3,200
Thanks: 11,160
Thanked 6,616 Times in 2,285 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Greco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST Reputation
Default TY

Thanks Sun your reply is exactly the information I was looking for...another bit of a learning curve.

Greco



Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun View Post
Hi Greco,

My experience is that glass top stoves heat up fast and keep the temperature pretty steady. So my advice is not to walk away from anything that you are cooking until you get used to it. You will not have the quick change control over temps as you would with gas. So if you are bringing a pot down from say, boiling to simmering you may need to remove the pot from the burner for a few minutes to let the temperature adjust. Also cleaning the glass can be a challenge. They scratch up easily. There are certain non abrasive cleaners that you can buy however.
Greco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greco For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #3
Sun
Senior Member

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single
 
Sun's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: N/A
Posts: 1,775
Thanks: 4,557
Thanked 5,551 Times in 1,456 Posts
Rep Power: 21474854
Sun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST Reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco View Post
Thanks Sun your reply is exactly the information I was looking for...another bit of a learning curve.

Greco
Happy to help Greco. I had to learn the hard way, so I hope that you have better luck than I did. lol. When I lived in San Francisco I had one of those glass top stoves. Guessing it was safer to have electric than gas in earthquake central, but oh how I was grieving not having gas. The other thing is that I am used to flipping things in the pan for saute' and that is hard to impossible to do and not scratch the glass so I had to remember that one. Not easy to break an old habit like that.
__________________

“Lovers don't finally meet somewhere. They're in each other all along.”
― Rumi

Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:23 AM   #4
Greco
Senior Member

How Do You Identify?:
GNC, not Trans, REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
 
Greco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In a good life.
Posts: 3,200
Thanks: 11,160
Thanked 6,616 Times in 2,285 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Greco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST Reputation
Default surface

I do that as well when sauteing so here we go...why anyone would have electric stove when gas, wood exists I'll never know...smiling, so I'll let you know how it goes, may have to live on green smoothies instead of cooking anything...just kidding.

Thanks again Sun, Greco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun View Post
Happy to help Greco. I had to learn the hard way, so I hope that you have better luck than I did. lol. When I lived in San Francisco I had one of those glass top stoves. Guessing it was safer to have electric than gas in earthquake central, but oh how I was grieving not having gas. The other thing is that I am used to flipping things in the pan for saute' and that is hard to impossible to do and not scratch the glass so I had to remember that one. Not easy to break an old habit like that.
Greco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greco For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2012, 08:47 AM   #5
Sun
Senior Member

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single
 
Sun's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: N/A
Posts: 1,775
Thanks: 4,557
Thanked 5,551 Times in 1,456 Posts
Rep Power: 21474854
Sun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST Reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco View Post
I do that as well when sauteing so here we go...why anyone would have electric stove when gas, wood exists I'll never know...smiling, so I'll let you know how it goes, may have to live on green smoothies instead of cooking anything...just kidding.

Thanks again Sun, Greco
In my case it was an apartment in an earthquake zone so a lot of places did not use gas. Less chance of fire if an earthquake hit. Which it did while I was there but that was a mild one.

Give me a wood or charcoal fire any day!
__________________

“Lovers don't finally meet somewhere. They're in each other all along.”
― Rumi

Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2012, 11:29 AM   #6
kittygrrl
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
witchy
Preferred Pronoun?:
'Je ne sais quoi'
Relationship Status:
Til you believe
 
kittygrrl's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: waking dream
Posts: 10,226
Thanks: 21,808
Thanked 22,207 Times in 7,270 Posts
Rep Power: 21474863
kittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputation
Default Greco~

Glass top stoves are pretty cool..i had one when they first came out, a bit hard to clean if you don't wipe up spills right away but then you don't have to worry about a boil over going to the innards of your stove..it seems to burn a little bit hotter then the usual electric stove (ie high on reg elec would be maybe a med?) Hard to say, as this was years ago..but they are great stoves and if they have a convection oven it's even very convenient..once you play with them a bit you might actually find you like them!
__________________
"Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception Carl Sagan
kittygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kittygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #7
Greco
Senior Member

How Do You Identify?:
GNC, not Trans, REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
 
Greco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In a good life.
Posts: 3,200
Thanks: 11,160
Thanked 6,616 Times in 2,285 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Greco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST Reputation
Default Seafood

Good evening Veggie Lovers,

Alright, I have finally acquiesced to seafood, I do love seafood.

Story: One of my Clients went fishing for Coho clams (I'm not sure of the spelling of that), anyway yes I was tempted, so I cooked them, following is the process:

Cooked brown rice pasta, a bit of sea salt, put to the side w/olive oil

Sauteed garlic, onions, tarragon, carrots, celery w/olive oil amd roasted hot peppers very slowly

steamed the clams until they opened, put these into the saute for about 5 mins.

Delicious!

I did miss lemon, but hadn't bought any before cooking...am imagining a very sensual lady cooking this for us...ok, ok, I have a lady in mind, of course.

Enough, have a good one Veggie Lovers, I continue to be a Veggie Lover as well.

Greco
Greco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Greco For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2013, 10:51 PM   #8
Hollylane
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
.
Preferred Pronoun?:
.
Relationship Status:
.
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: .
Posts: 11,495
Thanks: 34,694
Thanked 26,362 Times in 5,875 Posts
Rep Power: 21474863
Hollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST Reputation
Default

Further fuel for not eating flesh...

Hollylane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hollylane For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:13 PM.


ButchFemmePlanet.com
All information copyright of BFP 2018