![]() |
|
|||||||
| Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here! |
![]() |
|
|
Thread Tools | Display Modes |
|
|
|
|
#1 | |
|
Senior Member
How Do You Identify?:
Hippy Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: *
Posts: 3,750
Thanks: 6,499
Thanked 11,916 Times in 2,700 Posts
Rep Power: 21474856 ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() |
Quote:
The Meat Industry is exempt. So Dog Food has to be 'labeled' but not our Meat. That makes me pause. ![]() ![]() ![]()
__________________
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#2 |
|
Senior Member
How Do You Identify?:
Trans Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his Relationship Status:
Single Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: N/A
Posts: 1,775
Thanks: 4,557
Thanked 5,551 Times in 1,456 Posts
Rep Power: 21474854 ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() |
Yeah that is insane. The Beef industry lobby is throwing sick money at this issue. We can work on that piece, for now people have no idea what they are eating. They also have no idea that the cows are eating GMO grain and corn and getting sick. Then sick cows are being slaughtered and go to market. Its a mess.
__________________
“Lovers don't finally meet somewhere. They're in each other all along.” ― Rumi |
|
|
|
| The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post: |
|
|
#3 | |
|
Senior Member
How Do You Identify?:
FTM Preferred Pronoun?:
guy ones Relationship Status:
... Join Date: May 2011
Location: chillin' in FL
Posts: 3,690
Thanks: 21,951
Thanked 9,680 Times in 2,875 Posts
Rep Power: 21474855 ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() |
Quote:
I'm not sure of the proper term for said disk. People I've known from Mexico call it "disco" may be a slang term. lol. I picked that photo up online, but it was pretty similar to what we had. I think it's somewhere in between cast iron and steel and had a small propane tank hooked up to it. I've also thought of something else that was tradition when I went to Mexico with my grandparents when I was little and that was having parties and having a pig roast. Chicharrones were made from the pig. yum! I still enjoy chicharrones which is basically fried crispy pork and mostly the fat back of it. My family has also slaughtered and cooked goat. It is pretty good. . and I've ran into this again with Somalis in Denver and tried some at one of their Halal (Only what is permitted by Islam) Markets. They enjoy not only chicken but goat. I've lived in Colorado but unfortunately I really didn't sample any of their good cuisine. I've heard also they have some good fare and restaurants. I know I enjoyed their Mexican Food. I've always enjoyed this restaurant, Casa Bonita, and the entertainment they provide. It is a must if you ever do go to Denver! .. and they have some good sopapillas made fresh with honey is sooo good! yeah I'm hungry now too! We should all cook! hehe.
|
|
|
|
|
| The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ruffryder For This Useful Post: |
|
|
#4 | |
|
Senior Member
How Do You Identify?:
femme Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: west coast
Posts: 3,910
Thanks: 18,630
Thanked 14,363 Times in 3,381 Posts
Rep Power: 21474856 ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() |
Quote:
There is a Rice Field here in woodland that would be affected if 37 passes because it is entirely GMO. I think MEAT human consumable and or animal should also be labeled correctly, I know that they say dogs are meat eaters however i have had my pup on a primarily veggie/seafood diet her whole life and she seems to do ok with this when beef was added to her diet she had a seizure, that ended. The other issue with this is this will drive the cost for foods up so this is sort of a catch 22 because there are already so many citizens in our state that have a hard time affording groceries. There has got to be a balance somewhere in all of this.
__________________
Gaea "Building a lifetime together one day at a time" Courage: the willingness to risk who you are for who you want to be and what you have for what you want You're not who your past says you are, you are who you choose to be today moving forward. |
|
|
|
|
| The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gaea For This Useful Post: |
|
|
#5 |
|
Senior Member
How Do You Identify?:
Lil' Miss Sassy Pants Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: My place by the river
Posts: 3,700
Thanks: 7,032
Thanked 14,981 Times in 3,323 Posts
Rep Power: 21474853 ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() |
I've had a few requests for this recipe after posting it in the dinner thread, so I'll put it here too. This is my favorite to make. It won me a local top chef competition a few years ago. Super easy, delicious, and good for you!
Cooking greens with Tahini Dressing and Quinoa • 1 bunch cooking greens (kale, collards, chard, spinach, or beet greens) Sauce ingredients • ¾ c tahini (sesame paste) • 2 cloves garlic • 1 handful fresh cilantro • 1 tbsp maple syrup • 2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce • Juice and zest of lemon • ¼ c water Quinoa • 2c dry quinoa • 4c water Greens Chop the greens up well and steam them for just a couple of minutes. Remove from heat and shock them by rinsing them in cold water to stop the cooking process, and set them aside. Quinoa: Rinse quinoa in a fine mesh colander. Then put 4c water and 2c quinoa in to a pot on the stovetop over medium high heat and cover with a lid. Bring to a boil and lower heat to simmer. Simmer about 12-15 minutes until water is absorbed and quinoa has a sprout shooting out of it. You can also make life easier by cooking your quinoa in a rice cooker. Measure, pour, and walk away. It will shut off when done. Sauce: Put all sauce ingredients, just put ½ of the water for now into food processor or blender. Puree until creamy. Add more water slowly to obtain desired consistency. (Thickens in the fridge) . To serve: Put a scoop of quinoa on bottom of plate. Top that with greens and then pour on dressing. (good additions are steamed carrots, raw or steamed beets, parsnips, and other sweet vegetables) |
|
|
|
|
|
#6 |
|
Practically Lives Here
How Do You Identify?:
Femme Preferred Pronoun?:
dee Relationship Status:
Hitched up Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Livin’ the Dream
Posts: 24,079
Thanks: 30,560
Thanked 54,819 Times in 13,908 Posts
Rep Power: 21474874 ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() |
Preview of tonites dinner! Cajun style fried shrimp !
|
|
|
|
|
|
#7 |
|
Senior Member
How Do You Identify?:
Trans Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his Relationship Status:
Single Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: N/A
Posts: 1,775
Thanks: 4,557
Thanked 5,551 Times in 1,456 Posts
Rep Power: 21474854 ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() |
dee: Nice idea. Please share any recipes that you would like to.
Kiwi: I think that you are on to something there. A beverage conversation is always welcome. Does anyone make any really interesting soft drinks?
__________________
“Lovers don't finally meet somewhere. They're in each other all along.” ― Rumi |
|
|
|
| The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post: |
|
|
#8 | |
|
Infamous Member
How Do You Identify?:
. Preferred Pronoun?:
Male Relationship Status:
Married Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NM
Posts: 5,317
Thanks: 2,688
Thanked 8,538 Times in 2,630 Posts
Rep Power: 21474855 ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() |
Quote:
My wife and I are big foodies-- we love to eat food, and we LOVE to make food. Our new years resolution (2012) was to make food that we love to eat out at home-- This last week we made pork wantons, fried rice, and a chicken stir fry dish type yumminess. I enjoy cooking, baking (limited), and grilling -- subscribing, too. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#9 |
|
Senior Member
How Do You Identify?:
femme lesbian feminist Preferred Pronoun?:
Anything except for "aunty" Relationship Status:
Happy with my butch. Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Aotearoa New Zealand
Posts: 2,681
Thanks: 25,494
Thanked 9,095 Times in 1,899 Posts
Rep Power: 21474853 ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() |
I just thought I'd add, sometimes it's interesting to talk about what's nice to drink with the meal. I'm not hugely knowledgeable about wines, etc, but Gewurztraminer is really nice with spicy food. The wine itself is sweet but the combination with spicy is lovely.
__________________
happiness is a form of courage. George Holbrook Jackson Risk! Risk anything! Care no more for the opinions of others, for those voices. Do the hardest thing on earth for you. Act for yourself. Face the truth. Katherine Mansfield Motivate yourself or be miserable. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice. Wayne Dyer |
|
|
|
| The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lusciouskiwi For This Useful Post: |
|
|
#10 | |
|
Senior Member
How Do You Identify?:
Trans Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his Relationship Status:
Single Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: N/A
Posts: 1,775
Thanks: 4,557
Thanked 5,551 Times in 1,456 Posts
Rep Power: 21474854 ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() |
Quote:
How cool that you are in New Mexico! I saw that Hatch was offering to ship frozen roasted chilis but I really wanted to do my own. Sometimes we can get them around here for a little while after the season but not if the season ends early. What caused that to happen? I am looking forward to you sharing more with us!
__________________
“Lovers don't finally meet somewhere. They're in each other all along.” ― Rumi |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#11 | |
|
Senior Member
How Do You Identify?:
Trans Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his Relationship Status:
Single Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: N/A
Posts: 1,775
Thanks: 4,557
Thanked 5,551 Times in 1,456 Posts
Rep Power: 21474854 ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() |
Quote:
__________________
“Lovers don't finally meet somewhere. They're in each other all along.” ― Rumi |
|
|
|
|
| The Following User Says Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post: |
|
|
#12 |
|
Senior Member
How Do You Identify?:
. Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: .
Posts: 3,312
Thanks: 13,339
Thanked 12,241 Times in 2,541 Posts
Rep Power: 21474855 ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() |
I already love this thread! I am such a foodie!
One of my favorite meals is Chicken Mole. It brings back memories of sitting at a small kitchen table covered in a curtain as a "table cloth" watching my Abuelita stir the Mole sauce in a large pot. I still request it from my mother on my birthday. I smother the chicken and arroz a la mexicana with the sauce. ![]() My Abuelita is having me learn how to make tamales this Christmas. She said she refuses to leave this earth without her grandaughter having the recipe. I usually help her make them but this time I will be doing the cooking. I told her I do not want to learn if this means she is leaving me! I don't think I have a choice! |
|
|
|
| The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to little_ms_sunshyne For This Useful Post: |
|
|
#13 | |
|
Senior Member
How Do You Identify?:
Trans Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his Relationship Status:
Single Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: N/A
Posts: 1,775
Thanks: 4,557
Thanked 5,551 Times in 1,456 Posts
Rep Power: 21474854 ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() |
Quote:
Due to animal testing we have an idea of what is going to happen to humans with ongoing GMO foods and we are already seeing it. The rice farm will have to become non GMO. That is all. Lundberg can grow organic and natural rice, so can they.
__________________
“Lovers don't finally meet somewhere. They're in each other all along.” ― Rumi |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#14 | |
|
Senior Member
How Do You Identify?:
Trans Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his Relationship Status:
Single Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: N/A
Posts: 1,775
Thanks: 4,557
Thanked 5,551 Times in 1,456 Posts
Rep Power: 21474854 ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() |
Quote:
Sopapillia's! OMG at Maria's in Santa Fe I had the best and its so simple. No idea why theirs was so good. Another great fried food to eat once in a while. I am going to check on that cook top disc thing and see what I can learn. Love that idea. Ok ruff your post really made me want to cook and I am supposed to be taking some down time. Wish I had someone to cook for me, I may be dropping by all yalls (as you folks say in the south!) places real soon for some good home cooking!
__________________
“Lovers don't finally meet somewhere. They're in each other all along.” ― Rumi |
|
|
|
|
![]() |
| Thread Tools | |
| Display Modes | |
|
|