Venus007

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Serene Highness ;}
Relationship Status:
Dreamily contemplating some outrage against conventional morality

Thanked 4,767 Times in 1,142 Posts
Venus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST Reputation

When I was a kid I LOVED "Danger Mouse"
Oh crumb!

"So you'll die happily for your sins. You'd rather die in guilt then live in love?" Timothy Leary
Venus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Venus007 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2011, 11:27 PM   #102
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incubus View Post
You might like to check out Jam and Jerusalem...written by Jennifer Saunders and starring the great and good of Brit actresses including JS herself, Joanna Lumley and Dawn French.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jam_%26_Jerusalem
YES!!! Yes, yes..
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2011, 02:43 PM   #103
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venus007 View Post
When I was a kid I LOVED "Danger Mouse"
Oh crumb!
Crumbs DM!

Si Baroni

Penfold, shush!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbittenpoet View Post
Am Dr. Who addict. I joined getglue simply for Dr. Who stickers. I've decided I really want to grow up to be Captain Jack and date River Song.

But I like pretty much any BBC creation. My current faves are Dr. Who and Demons. I am waiting patiently for Bedlam and I want more Sherlock Holmes. To tell the truth my tv is set to turn on BBC America. I also am an online devotee of BBC 4 radio broadcasts particularly radio plays of Terry Pratchett and others.
Although Cap'n Jack was introduced to us on Dr.Who, he really came into his own in the spin-off Torchwood (which is of course an anagram of Doctor Who).

The most recent series of Sherlock was fantastic, better than any of it's previous incarnations throughout the years imho.

Radio 4 is my default channel and I love the Archers and the 6.30 funnies in particular. Just a Minute, Sorry I haven't a clue, The news quiz and Fags, Mags and Bags are all worth looking up.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:38 PM   #104
Merlin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Knight in shining armour.
Relationship Status:
Spoken for

Merlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST Reputation

Dear americans,

No google or wikipedia answers I want this from your own personal perspective . .

Thanksgiving . . Explain this to me please. And what does it mean to you ? X x
Old 05-13-2011, 03:53 PM   #105
Daktari

Jeepers Merlin, the notion of Thanksgiving is pretty easy that even I know about it. No wiki needed. The Pilgrims of the Plymouth colony gave thanks to God after surviving their first hard winter in New England. Gave thanks for being helped to survive by the indigenous, Native American population. You've heard of Squanto surely and the leader of the Wampanoag tribe who donated food to the colonists after the supplies they brought from England ran out. I could be entirely wrong in this of course, I've only done the basic history of the 'colonies'.

I look forward to hearing what the celebration means to Planet members personally.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2011, 03:56 PM   #106
wolfbittenpoet

How Do You Identify?:
Typewriter Boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 1,578 Times in 402 Posts
wolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputation

I found I preferred Jack in the Doctor Who Series and the first season of Torchwood. Later on he became moody and unJackish. In a very Doctor Who style of course. I never quite caught on to The Sarah Jane Adventures.

I also am a devotee of Red Dwarf. Use to get up two hours early for school to watch it.

For me Thanksgiving is a celebration of stolen land, broken promises, and Puritan intolerance.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:57 PM   #107
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,382 Times in 2,839 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Wow, Thanksgiving.

What Incubus said is the party line....

But if I think about it in that vein I have to go with it being a celebration of the stealing and raping of the central part of the North American continent by colonists.

So, I try to go with it being a day to reflect on those things I am thankful for like my friends, my job etc.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #108
Daktari

Quote:
I found I preferred Jack in the Doctor Who Series and the first season of Torchwood. Later on he became moody and unJackish. In a very Doctor Who style of course. I never quite caught on to The Sarah Jane Adventures.

I also am a devotee of Red Dwarf. Use to get up two hours early for school to watch it.
Crikey I thought Jack really came into his own in Torchwood and loved each series. I've never seen the Sarah Jane Adventures - they're shown on childrens tv here but I was saddened at the recent death of Elizabeth Sladen who was one of Dr.Who's three main girl sidekicks of the 70s - the ones I remember anyway. Sara Jane crossed over two Dr's, when Jon Pertwee (3rd Dr. and the real Dr of my childhood) regenerated as Tom Baker, Sara Jane was his companion. Of course we all remember the 4th Dr's (Tom Baker) companion Leela too for her lack of clothing
Old 05-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #109
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalipstic View Post
Wow, Thanksgiving.

What Incubus said is the party line....

But if I think about it in that vein I have to go with it being a celebration of the stealing and raping of the central part of the North American continent by colonists.

So, I try to go with it being a day to reflect on those things I am thankful for like my friends, my job etc.
It's the history I've been taught of course which is Eurocentric just as yours is US-centric. I'm pleased to say the the Brits weren't the first to land and colonize. Weren't the Spanish, Portuguese and French there before us?

To be fair, when I celebrate Thanksgiving with my 'merican friend we're giving thanks for good friends and for our democratic freedoms.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2011, 04:37 PM   #110
wolfbittenpoet

How Do You Identify?:
Typewriter Boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 1,578 Times in 402 Posts
wolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
It's the history I've been taught of course which is Eurocentric just as yours is US-centric. I'm pleased to say the the Brits weren't the first to land and colonize. Weren't the Spanish, Portuguese and French there before us?

To be fair, when I celebrate Thanksgiving with my 'merican friend we're giving thanks for good friends and for our democratic freedoms.

While the other nationalities are the first colonizers the Brits are who get remembered on Thanksgiving. In my family we decide that the holiday really is a precursor carb loading time for the madness that is Black Friday.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:40 PM   #111
Daktari

Quote:
While the other nationalities are the first colonizers the Brits are who get remembered on Thanksgiving. In my family we decide that the holiday really is a precursor carb loading time for the madness that is Black Friday.
To be fair, the English (as opposed to the UK) were creating the Empire and starting it's dirty, bullish, colonizing ways long before they landed in Plymouth. Black Friday, wiki says that's the start of the Christmas shopping period, is that what you mean?
Old 05-13-2011, 04:48 PM   #112
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Stone Bisexual Femme with a heavy twist of Lime
Relationship Status:
Together since September of 2021

Thanked 32,154 Times in 10,015 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Merlin?

My heart feels torn about many American social holidays, mainly because of social rituals and identity. It's a slippery slope in my mind, celebration of a holiday. I like Thanksgiving because it's a nice time to come together with people you care deeply for (family, friends, relatives) and I cannot help but think of people who have no family, friends or relatives to spend a holiday with.

I think everyday should be a 'holiday' - one in which we feel invited for who we are, where we have a place at the 'table' to sup with one another. There's nothing like good food, conversation that enriches the soul, and a social bonding that brings us together in ways that stands the test of time.

What about you? Is there a particular holiday that means a lot to you?

Personally, I think birthdays are important holidays. . .
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:06 PM   #113
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,264 Posts
Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Black Friday, wiki says that's the start of the Christmas shopping period, is that what you mean?
Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving in the US, when traditionally the stores open insanely early and have insanely great bargains to start the insanely crazy Christmas shopping season. The truth is that the season starts in September now, much to the dismay of those who believe Christmas is overcommercialized.

The day got the name Black Friday because it was so often the first day in the year when store revenues flipped from being in the red to being in the black; the sales from the day often were a store's only chance to begin to make a profit for the year.
Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:38 PM   #114
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post
Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving in the US, when traditionally the stores open insanely early and have insanely great bargains to start the insanely crazy Christmas shopping season. The truth is that the season starts in September now, much to the dismay of those who believe Christmas is overcommercialized.

The day got the name Black Friday because it was so often the first day in the year when store revenues flipped from being in the red to being in the black; the sales from the day often were a store's only chance to begin to make a profit for the year.

That's what I read on wiki...I thought Black whatever was a stock market crash not Christmas shopping season.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:09 PM   #115
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Dear americans,

No google or wikipedia answers I want this from your own personal perspective . .

Thanksgiving . . Explain this to me please. And what does it mean to you ? X x
What Thanksgiving means to me has changed over time. When I was a kid, it was all about the Pilgrims and Squanto, the Autumn Harvest, four days off school, eating the best food on earth bar none, and trying to stay the heck out of the way because my mother was a crazy woman.

When I was a teenager, it was about church and then a big stress-filled family dinner, involving impossible cleaning schedules, impossible cooking schedules, waaaayyy too many relatives crammed into the space allotted, a screaming mother, eating two hours after the scheduled time, and the best food on earth bar none. (You might imagine I had some mixed feelings about it all by that time.) I still believed in the Pilgrims and Squanto and I still recognized the Autumn Harvest.

When I was a young adult, Thanksgiving involved walking in on this stress-filled scene three quarters of the way through when my partner--who was persona non grata--dropped me off, to then go on to her own much calmer family dinner where I was persona non grata. I still believed in the Pilgrims and Squanto and the Autumn Harvest, and I still ate the best food on earth bar none.

When I was in my thirties I said no more family angst and learned to roast my own turkey--the one thing I hadn't already done--and my partner and I stayed home by ourselves. I had learned the truth about the Pilgrims and Squanto by then and had done some serious reading of accurate history; I felt guilty with every bite, even as I did my best to remember those who died as well as giving thanks for my own blessings and the Autumn Harvest while I ate the best food on earth bar none.

When I forty-four I lost everything that had meaning for me except for Ladybug and my online community. I was forced to move back in with my mom as a charity case. I discovered then that Thanksgiving had a meaning for me that I had never articulated before: it wasn't about where I was, or whom I might be with; it wasn't about where I lived or whether had my own place; it was entirely about what I did. Thanksgiving was cooking the best food on earth bar none, decorating the house, bringing the gift of "holiday" to the people I fed. I still remembered those who had died, I still counted my own blessings and acknowledged the Autumn Harvest, and I still felt guilty with every bite.

When I was 49 I moved to Kansas and made my home with Gryph, who has native American heritage and who did not celebrate Thanksgiving. I listened to his music and read more accurate history and nearly perished from the guilt of it all............

...............and I subverted Gryph anyway and cooked Thanksgiving dinner for him.

Because you know what the best food on earth bar none is, the traditional food of Thanksgiving in the US? It's the gift of thousands of years of Native American farmers and gardeners, a gift to the world from the continents of the Americas--turkey, cranberries, sweet potatoes, white potatoes, green beans, corn, wild rice, tomatoes, winter squash, chestnuts, pecans, pumpkin.

The Autumn Harvest is the gift of the First Nations to us, and so every year as I give thanks for my own blessings, I give them on what I call First Nations Day and Gryph and I celebrate with the best food on the face of the earth bar none. I still feel an everpresent sadness and anger at what has happened to the first peoples of these continents, but I no longer feel guilt over celebrating the bountiful harvest of Autumn, just gratitude to the first farmers for their incredible gift to the world.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2011, 08:13 PM   #116
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Quote:
That's what I read on wiki...I thought Black whatever was a stock market crash not Christmas shopping season.
The stock market crash was Black Tuesday... and truthfully, MANY employees who work retail on Black Friday think of it as a huge disaster. It's the day they are forced to accept the worst excesses of human greed, right up to and including crowds trampling people to death just to get the latest geegaws for a cheap price. Black Friday is not for the faint of heart nor, many times, for the sane.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2011, 08:19 PM   #117
Daktari

Ooh Bit I love your story of Thanksgiving through your ages. How fabulous. I'm so sorry you lost everything but so chuffed (very Brit for real happy) you found reason to give thanks no matter what. I guessed that Squanto is the party line...sanitized history in other words. Who's going to post links to the 'real' history for me?
Old 05-13-2011, 08:36 PM   #118
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Here's where I started, Incubus.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Indian-Givers-Indians-Americas-Transformed/dp/0449904962"]Amazon.com: Indian Givers: How the Indians of the Americas Transformed the World (9780449904961): Jack Weatherford: Books[/ame]

I've always looked for the good and for the blessings in my life; it's who I am. *soft smile* Thank you for the kudos.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:38 PM   #119
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post
Here's where I started, Incubus. http://www.amazon.com/Indian-Givers-Indians-Americas-Transformed/dp/0449904962

I've always looked for the good and for the blessings in my life; it's who I am. *soft smile* Thank you for the kudos.

Thank-you Bit...I shall buy and read after my stated summer agenda of Tales of the City. Gracias.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:50 PM   #120
Starbuck

How Do You Identify?:
Soft Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 2,148 Times in 756 Posts
Starbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST Reputation
Default Meal names and tea times

Quote:
Roast parsnips are yum and a must with Sunday lunch.

Now here we get what I think is a funny usage of UK English...

Do you 'mericans (to include all the races and nationalities who inhabit North America where this website is based) have dinner at lunch-time and tea at dinner time? Or is it always lunch in the middle of the day and dinner or supper at the end of the day?

Merlin I bet you have dinner and tea don't ya? I do at home but with Un-Mrs.I we have lunch and dinner.

How about you other Brits here too?
This one is a funny disagreement between my dad and myself. He calls the three meals breakfast-dinner-supper.
I USED to call it that until I went into the Army and was "retrained" to call it breakfast-lunch-dinner...and you can have tea with any meal you want. I usually drink iced tea (no sweetner) unless I'm sick then it's hot tea with honey.