Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Support: Abuse, Addiction, Coping

Old 05-27-2011, 02:49 AM   #181
Ms. Meander

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Relationship Status:
Ethical Nonmonogamist

Thanked 5,221 Times in 1,148 Posts
Ms. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST Reputation

Congratulations to all of the non-smokers and anyone even thinking of quitting!

I have been struggling to quit for years. There have been a couple times I have quit for a while but have always gone back to it in times of stress. It is the last great (destructive/unhealthy) coping mechanism I have left. Had.

I last smoked over 60 hours ago. My official quit date being the 24th. I have been reluctant to post about it because I have been feeling like a miserable wretch and I have this thing about keeping my misery largely to myself.

I have just awaken at 4am in a pool of sweat. My sleep has been out of whack these few days and I feel like I have been in a haze. I am more sensitive than usual, irritable and weepy. But I keep reminding myself WHY I am doing this. There are of course the myriad of health reasons which are the facts behind the motivation but when it comes down to that moment when I am struggling through a craving, I have to keep telling myself that I WANT this.

Also, in the past year I have made several attempts. The first few days/week are absolutely the hardest part and I keep putting myself through this torture only to pick up the smokes again, setting myself up to have to go through it again in the future. I am done with that. I am done with smoking. I am done torturing myself. I am done poisoning myself. And soon, I will be through this withdrawal and I will be free.

But for the moment, I am still a wretched mess.
My wish for you is that you continue. Continue to be who and how you are, to astonish a mean world with your acts of kindness. Continue to allow humor to lighten the burden of your tender heart. - Maya Angelou
Ms. Meander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ms. Meander For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2011, 04:16 AM   #182
Daktari

Thank-you for posting how you're feeling Ms.Meander. You've been brave to post the bad bits about giving up. As you've said the worst bit is the first few days.

You want it and you can have it. All it takes is some deep breathing exercises (or some such, the deep breathing worked for me) through your cravings and keep reminding yourself that you're doing this fabulous thing for yourself. Being a bit mad for a while is a small price to pay.

You can do it!

Please keep us updated on your progress.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2011, 04:41 AM   #183
Julie

How Do You Identify?:
Angel * Femme * Lesbian * Girl * Woman * Slut * Bitch *
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
No longer a Virgin Bride to Dreamer ~ May 17th, 2014

Thanked 18,159 Times in 3,632 Posts
Julie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Ms. Meander...

You are at the crossroads - This is soooooooooooo amazing and Incubus is so correct about the breathing.

Good for YOU!

Julie (5 weeks / 2 days / Hours unknown)

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps4d9fb6c0.jpg

I Love You ~ I Love Us
May 17, 2014
Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Julie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2011, 04:51 AM   #184
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Ms. Meander...

You are at the crossroads - This is soooooooooooo amazing and Incubus is so correct about the breathing.

Good for YOU!

Julie (5 weeks / 2 days / Hours unknown)

More than a month Julie! That's awesome.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:55 AM   #185
Julie

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:

Julie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Thank You, Incubus.
I feel GOOD!

I Love You ~ I Love Us
May 17, 2014
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Julie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2011, 05:03 AM   #186
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,892 Times in 5,770 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Meander View Post
Congratulations to all of the non-smokers and anyone even thinking of quitting!

I have been struggling to quit for years. There have been a couple times I have quit for a while but have always gone back to it in times of stress. It is the last great (destructive/unhealthy) coping mechanism I have left. Had.

I last smoked over 60 hours ago. My official quit date being the 24th. I have been reluctant to post about it because I have been feeling like a miserable wretch and I have this thing about keeping my misery largely to myself.

I have just awaken at 4am in a pool of sweat. My sleep has been out of whack these few days and I feel like I have been in a haze. I am more sensitive than usual, irritable and weepy. But I keep reminding myself WHY I am doing this. There are of course the myriad of health reasons which are the facts behind the motivation but when it comes down to that moment when I am struggling through a craving, I have to keep telling myself that I WANT this.

Also, in the past year I have made several attempts. The first few days/week are absolutely the hardest part and I keep putting myself through this torture only to pick up the smokes again, setting myself up to have to go through it again in the future. I am done with that. I am done with smoking. I am done torturing myself. I am done poisoning myself. And soon, I will be through this withdrawal and I will be free.

But for the moment, I am still a wretched mess.
Keep it up! Keep going!

You have been through the withdrawal before, so you know that it ends...then after getting over that main hump, it is mostly psychological.

You CAN do it. You WILL do it!

And freedom is exactly the right word. I had never seen it as freedom before until a few months after I had quit, but that is SO correct.

Keep posting for support!

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2011, 05:33 AM   #187
Ms. Meander

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Relationship Status:
Ethical Nonmonogamist

Ms. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST Reputation

Thank you all for being so supportive. I think sharing is an important part of this process. By letting others know what I am trying to accomplish, I make myself responsible to someone other than myself. Which just might be enough to make me think twice when in a difficult moment - which just might be enough to keep me from caving in.

I have been "deep breathing" through cravings, as mentioned. It is a helpful tool. I think of all that smoke-free oxygen being delivered to my lungs - it almost makes me light-headed sometimes!

Congratulations Julie - You are amazing and inspiring!
My wish for you is that you continue. Continue to be who and how you are, to astonish a mean world with your acts of kindness. Continue to allow humor to lighten the burden of your tender heart. - Maya Angelou
Old 05-27-2011, 07:08 AM   #188
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Thank you all for being so supportive. I think sharing is an important part of this process. By letting others know what I am trying to accomplish, I make myself responsible to someone other than myself. Which just might be enough to make me think twice when in a difficult moment - which just might be enough to keep me from caving in.

I have been "deep breathing" through cravings, as mentioned. It is a helpful tool. I think of all that smoke-free oxygen being delivered to my lungs - it almost makes me light-headed sometimes!

Congratulations Julie - You are amazing and inspiring!
Horrayyyyyyy!!!!!!!!! Way to go!!! Hang in there...you are doing awesome!!!!!

Maya Angelou
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2011, 09:24 PM   #189
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Thanked 14,363 Times in 3,381 Posts
gaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputation

(((Hugs to you all))))))))

omg amazing i havent been here in a couple of weeks and this thread seems to have some new comers...awesome...

Way to go Jules!!!!!!!
Way to go Belle!
Way to Go Ms Meander.......keep on keepin on dear.

im at week 6 day 4 ( i think) and let me say the first 5 weeks were a piece of cake, icing if must say...the last two I've had more tantrums than even i want to admit too more break downs than my normal happy days self...

my smokes allowed me to deal with life without "emotion"...shit suddenly i have these damn emotions and i don't understand them....oops..it sucks waking at 40 and realizing I've never dealt with any of my emotions and now i get to...no more poison no more killing myself slowly..

Heather
6 weeks, 4 days, 7 hours and 53 mins.

i wont give up these last 6 weeks..even tho i have my days and moments that i want to, i wont...

Courage: the willingness to risk who you are for who you want to be and what you have for what you want

You're not who your past says you are, you are who you choose to be today moving forward.
gaea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gaea For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2011, 07:09 AM   #190
Ms. Meander

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Relationship Status:
Ethical Nonmonogamist

Default Day 5

Struggling not to eat everything in sight

And just for the record:
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ms. Meander For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2011, 07:32 AM   #191
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaea View Post
(((Hugs to you all))))))))

omg amazing i havent been here in a couple of weeks and this thread seems to have some new comers...awesome...

Way to go Jules!!!!!!!
Way to go Belle!
Way to Go Ms Meander.......keep on keepin on dear.

im at week 6 day 4 ( i think) and let me say the first 5 weeks were a piece of cake, icing if must say...the last two I've had more tantrums than even i want to admit too more break downs than my normal happy days self...

my smokes allowed me to deal with life without "emotion"...shit suddenly i have these damn emotions and i don't understand them....oops..it sucks waking at 40 and realizing I've never dealt with any of my emotions and now i get to...no more poison no more killing myself slowly..

Heather
6 weeks, 4 days, 7 hours and 53 mins.

i wont give up these last 6 weeks..even tho i have my days and moments that i want to, i wont...
Go you!! You're doing brilliantly, I'm so chuffed for you. You're hitting the 'hump' now but it does pass.......eventually. One just develops new strategies for coping with emotion.

Quote:
Struggling not to eat everything in sight

And just for the record:

Try not to substitute food for cigs...you'll hate yourself for it in the long run. Do something active instead of eating. I purposely didn't do the oral substitution but have still managed to put on a quarter of my original body weight.

Keep the faith both of you!
Old 05-31-2011, 06:41 AM   #192
Ms. Meander

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Relationship Status:
Ethical Nonmonogamist

Exclamation

Holiday weekends are filled with temptation and opportunity.

I admit, I succumbed. Only a little bit, and I don't consider my efforts ruined. I am right back on track this morning.

I really didn't want to come here and share this but I'd rather be honest and shame-faced, then dishonestly accept kudos I don't quite deserve.

SO - fresh start this morning. All is well. So far, so good. I hope everyone else fared the weekend better than I!
Old 05-31-2011, 07:06 AM   #193
Julie

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Holiday weekends are filled with temptation and opportunity.

I admit, I succumbed. Only a little bit, and I don't consider my efforts ruined. I am right back on track this morning.

I really didn't want to come here and share this but I'd rather be honest and shame-faced, then dishonestly accept kudos I don't quite deserve.

SO - fresh start this morning. All is well. So far, so good. I hope everyone else fared the weekend better than I!
We all have moments ~ I think it's great you are back here and getting back on track. Don't beat yourself UP!

Almost six weeks - but... Does not mean I am not tempted every single moment, especially when I get in my car -- I used to smoke in it and I can still smell it. Bl
ah

I Love You ~ I Love Us
May 17, 2014
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Julie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2011, 08:09 AM   #194
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

gaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
We all have moments ~ I think it's great you are back here and getting back on track. Don't beat yourself UP!

Almost six weeks - but... Does not mean I am not tempted every single moment, especially when I get in my car -- I used to smoke in it and I can still smell it. Bl
ah
om julie....me too lol i bring a bottle of water with me everywhere i go now tho...my car is starting to smell better for sure...i create my own temptations which suck however holding on tight....the scent eventually leaves the car..

by the way, how is the healing coming along?

Courage: the willingness to risk who you are for who you want to be and what you have for what you want

You're not who your past says you are, you are who you choose to be today moving forward.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gaea For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2011, 08:10 AM   #195
Julie

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
om julie....me too lol i bring a bottle of water with me everywhere i go now tho...my car is starting to smell better for sure...i create my own temptations which suck however holding on tight....the scent eventually leaves the car..

by the way, how is the healing coming along?
I am pretty sore..still. BUT they never would have done the surgery had I been smoking - So, my breasts are healing beautifully and so are my lungs.

Feels GOOD!

You sound like you are doing great.

I Love You ~ I Love Us
May 17, 2014
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2011, 08:39 AM   #196
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Quote:
I am pretty sore..still. BUT they never would have done the surgery had I been smoking - So, my breasts are healing beautifully and so are my lungs.

Feels GOOD!

You sound like you are doing great.
i dont know if, i would call it great lol, i whined enough the other day the lady actually gave me one and i refused it...shit the whining wow unexpected...

im really just doing the best i can every day and focusing positively on the daily stuff you know...

im so glad your healing well...

Old 05-31-2011, 12:25 PM   #197
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Default BY THE WAY

I have been ten minutes from buying a pack for the last week...this so major freaking sucks...someone said maybe its my cycle interfering with my psyche ...UGH..

Honesty...I wanna scream and have a tantrum...I wanna cry i think i already did this morning. This will pass though it always does.

Honesty....I refuse to break...im stubborn that way...besides i don't like the flippen withdrawals they suck big time..

I know this is easier than im making it sound..and i love and adore those that have allowed me my tantrums and fits..

Honesty....I want someone to hold my hand through this..is that so bad?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gaea For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2011, 02:43 PM   #198
Daktari

Quote:
I have been ten minutes from buying a pack for the last week...this so major freaking sucks...someone said maybe its my cycle interfering with my psyche ...UGH..

Honesty...I wanna scream and have a tantrum...I wanna cry i think i already did this morning. This will pass though it always does.

Honesty....I refuse to break...im stubborn that way...besides i don't like the flippen withdrawals they suck big time..

I know this is easier than im making it sound..and i love and adore those that have allowed me my tantrums and fits..

Honesty....I want someone to hold my hand through this..is that so bad?
*hugs*

You keep being stubborn gaea. You're doing brilliantly. I'm pleased to hear that folks are supporting you and allowing you your tantrums. No, I don't believe it is wrong to want someone to hold your hand, I wish I could do just that for you.

Keep the faith, you can do it!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2011, 03:20 PM   #199
lillith

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, hey you!

lillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputation

Firstly, congratulations to everyone who has quit whether it has been a hour or 10 years.
Gaea – I totally get what you mean about dealing with emotions. The first two months were the most shit-tastic experience of my life. Having a dry birth was less hard than this. I think that it is too important to do this to feel like you have to do it alone. I will pm you my number, and you can text or call if you want.
Ms. Meander – East some of that chocolate, girl! You deserve it! Congratulations!

My Story:
Smoking was my last great vice, and I smoked for 20 years. About 3 months ago, I developed pneumonia, and was out for about a week. During the course of the week, I slept and didn't really wake up to eat or use the restroom, much less smoke. When I was finally awake enough, I decided it was time to quit. I am the kind of person that if you take away my addiction, then it will be worse than what it needs to be. I kept a pack of cigarettes on my nightstand, and gave myself permission to smoke only if I need to. After the week of not smoking, I pulled on out of the pack, and left it on my nightstand with the same permission as above. It stayed there for two weeks, and I threw it away. Don’t get me wrong, I know I was lucky because I got to sleep through the worst part of the physical addiction, but I was in the middle of my last semester, in an unhealthy relationship, and having to fight with a professor who was trying to bully me into quitting. I never in my life wanted to say fuck it, gimme a smoke. Everyday for about a month I wished I had a cigarette. The toughest part, I think, is living with people who still smoke. The smell sits in my mouth like some explosive chemical reaction, and leaves my tongue feeling rough and abrasive against my soft palate. And so, three months later, I still want to smoke. I don’t think that feeling will ever go away completely, but I know that today is easier than yesterday and tomorrow will be easier than today.

now how can you ignore a dancing pink elephant?

and how i so wish it would rain here.
lillith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lillith For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2011, 04:09 PM   #200
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillith View Post
Firstly, congratulations to everyone who has quit whether it has been a hour or 10 years.
Gaea – I totally get what you mean about dealing with emotions. The first two months were the most shit-tastic experience of my life. Having a dry birth was less hard than this. I think that it is too important to do this to feel like you have to do it alone. I will pm you my number, and you can text or call if you want.
Ms. Meander – East some of that chocolate, girl! You deserve it! Congratulations!

My Story:
Smoking was my last great vice, and I smoked for 20 years. About 3 months ago, I developed pneumonia, and was out for about a week. During the course of the week, I slept and didn't really wake up to eat or use the restroom, much less smoke. When I was finally awake enough, I decided it was time to quit. I am the kind of person that if you take away my addiction, then it will be worse than what it needs to be. I kept a pack of cigarettes on my nightstand, and gave myself permission to smoke only if I need to. After the week of not smoking, I pulled on out of the pack, and left it on my nightstand with the same permission as above. It stayed there for two weeks, and I threw it away. Don’t get me wrong, I know I was lucky because I got to sleep through the worst part of the physical addiction, but I was in the middle of my last semester, in an unhealthy relationship, and having to fight with a professor who was trying to bully me into quitting. I never in my life wanted to say fuck it, gimme a smoke. Everyday for about a month I wished I had a cigarette. The toughest part, I think, is living with people who still smoke. The smell sits in my mouth like some explosive chemical reaction, and leaves my tongue feeling rough and abrasive against my soft palate. And so, three months later, I still want to smoke. I don’t think that feeling will ever go away completely, but I know that today is easier than yesterday and tomorrow will be easier than today.

Go you lillith. Sounds like you've succeeded against the odds. I'm sorry you're living with smokers, that must make it really hard. The feeling of wanting to smoke does go away eventually.