Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > GENDER AND IDENTITY > The Trans Zone

Old 04-23-2011, 05:06 PM   #41
Daywalker

How Do You Identify?:
Hippy

Thanked 11,917 Times in 2,700 Posts
Daywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSoonIsNow View Post
It also reads:

It's not the first time, Polis said, that she's been picked on — physically — because of her sexual preferences. She said she's been subjected to beatings and even sexual assaults.
Who ever is behind that typerwriter need to give up their chair.
Her being Trans is not an indicator of her Sexual Preferences.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:43 PM   #42
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

All state hate crime laws need to include gender identity! This is a key issue in the fight for the civil rights of transgendered people in the USA. And we continue to try and get ENDA passed.....

Sometimes I just want to scream!

Oh, and Day, yes, this "reporter" really needs to do some homework about this subject matter. Yet, my guess is that the majority of the general public is as gender-ignorant as this writer which is very much related to why this happened and does everywhere.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2011, 01:18 AM   #43
DamonK

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 7,762 Times in 1,881 Posts
DamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST Reputation

I...just watched this video.

I don't really have any words. When I was a kid, it was a safe place to go. Even now, MBE and I will go there and hang out on our laptops.

I'm used to having to watch my back. I am soooo used to that.

But, this was the one place I could go and let my guard down just a little bit.

Now I never want to go back.
DamonK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DamonK For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2011, 06:22 AM   #44
dykeumentary

How Do You Identify?:
butch dyke

Thanked 1,547 Times in 359 Posts
dykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputation
Default When is it going to stop?

This story also happened this week:

Police: Father kills 2 over daughter's girlfriend
© 2011 The Associated Press
April 20, 2011, 4:42PM

AUSTIN, Texas — A man upset over his high school-age daughter's lesbian relationship fatally shot her 24-year-old girlfriend and the girlfriend's mother, Austin police said Wednesday.
Jose Alfonso Aviles, 45, has been charged with capital murder. Police say Aviles shot to death Norma Hurtado, 24, and her mother, 57-year-old Maria Hurtado, on Monday night after knocking on their door.
Aviles was arrested early Tuesday morning in a wooded area in nearby Bexar County. He was expected to be transferred to the Travis County jail Wednesday, Austin police Sgt. Hector Reveles told The Associated Press. Reveles said he had no information on an attorney.
The Austin American-Statesman reported that police and court documents said Aviles' daughter was in the home at the time and found the two after the shooting, which police say came after a months-long feud between the families.
The daughter's "family was quite upset over this relationship," Austin police Lt. Gena Curtis told the newspaper. "This had been an ongoing dispute between these families and it turned tragic, into a horrific act of violence with the death of two individuals."
The daughter told police that she and Norma Hurtado had been involved in a lesbian relationship and that her father didn't approve.
The affidavit said a witness told police that the daughter's parents would send threatening text messages to Norma Hurtado. In one message, Aviles threatened to kill Hurtado and her mother, the document said.
Friends of the daughter said she had turned 18 last month. Reveles would not reveal the daughter's age, citing the investigation.
The Travis County district attorney's office has not determined whether the case will be classified as a hate crime.
"It is something we will have to take a look at after the investigation is more complete," said Jackie Wood, an assistant district attorney and a member of the office's hate crime task force.
Police also said they are looking for a second unidentified man who witnesses said fled the scene with Aviles in a green sport utility vehicle.
___
Information from: Austin American-Statesman, http://www.statesman.com
dykeumentary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dykeumentary For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2011, 07:11 AM   #45
Heart

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
rainbows!

Thanked 2,531 Times in 412 Posts
Heart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST Reputation

This crime victim will now be subjected to the routine victim-blaming so common in the media: She has a record, she was intoxicated, she's not a "perfect victim," she brought it on herself...etc. This shifting of accountability away from the perpetrators and onto the victim continues in the criminal justice system. This is one of the primary reasons crime victims do not speak out, and do not want charges filed.
Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Heart For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2011, 10:51 AM   #46
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,903 Times in 1,030 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastHome View Post
All state hate crime laws need to include gender identity! This is a key issue in the fight for the civil rights of transgendered people in the USA. And we continue to try and get ENDA passed.....

Sometimes I just want to scream!

Oh, and Day, yes, this "reporter" really needs to do some homework about this subject matter. Yet, my guess is that the majority of the general public is as gender-ignorant as this writer which is very much related to why this happened and does everywhere.
I agree, hate crime laws do need to include gender identity and expression. In some ways I feel like "gender identity and expression" downplays the issue when it comes to transfolks, but I also recognise that it's hard to develop the language for it that includes all gender variant people. It also makes it easier for the general public to understand, I think. Anyways, all that to say that I agree...right now a new article I was reading had this quote from an investigator:

Quote:
"Generally when it comes to cases that involve racial, religious, ethnic or sexual orientation from an investigative standpoint, we approach the case from the perspective of the victim," he said.
But none of these things cover her... It's also been reported that she has had SRS and I'm assuming that she's now "legally female" since the reporters have been so courteous as to not plaster her birth name in every single article like they do with many other transwomen (though they did mention it in first articles...why it's relevant I don't know). Her sexual orientation hasn't been revealed anywhere...one of her attackers apparently also started accusing her of "talking to her man" and spat in her face. Of course, that obviously clashes with them shouting "that's a dude, that's a dude and he's in the female washroom." So on the one hand the supposed worry is "she's talking to my man," and the other is this is "a dude in the female washroom"...there is no clear pattern of how they perceived her sexual orientation, but only that her sex/gender did not appear "normal" to them. They need to include gender/sex variant people in hate crime laws. Otherwise there will never be adequate protection for trans people and it's always going to be like this...a hate crime against a trans person occurs and they scramble to call it something that it isn't, or they just claim it's a "random" assault that has nothing to do with who they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart View Post
This crime victim will now be subjected to the routine victim-blaming so common in the media: She has a record, she was intoxicated, she's not a "perfect victim," she brought it on herself...etc. This shifting of accountability away from the perpetrators and onto the victim continues in the criminal justice system. This is one of the primary reasons crime victims do not speak out, and do not want charges filed.
Yeah, just read that new update saying she was intoxicated, and of course they must mention in every article that she was a sex-worker. Have the police claimed that this is relevant to the assault on her at all? Not that I've read, so it just seems like the media want to make sure we know she isn't as "innocent" as she seems. If it hadn't been caught on tape, I wonder how people would spin it to further question whether she was truly a victim. She was "lucky" in that sense, the video footage speaks volumes even though it was taken by an idiot who didn't care to help her.

Also, media like Fox are apparently continuing to put a racial spin on this. It's so angering, because it's obvious these people couldn't care less about a transwoman being beaten and are just using her pain to further their own racism. The horrific actions of her attackers had nothing to do with their race or her race.
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2011, 11:06 AM   #47
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,179 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I watched in horror as Crissy was attacked ~ over and over again ~ and can only imagine what might have happened to her had those maniacs successfully drug her out of the building.

Bless that woman's heart who stepped in and tried to help.

I'm not sure what kind of mentality ~ or lack thereof ~ allows a person to think it is OK to attack a person as they did. I just cannot wrap my brain around it.

I hope they get the maximum punishment.

Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Diva For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2011, 01:40 PM   #48
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,892 Times in 5,770 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderD_503 View Post
They need to include gender/sex variant people in hate crime laws. Otherwise there will never be adequate protection for trans people and it's always going to be like this...a hate crime against a trans person occurs and they scramble to call it something that it isn't, or they just claim it's a "random" assault that has nothing to do with who they are.

I'm guessing we will get gender identity included in hate crimes in about 2-3 years.

Also, media like Fox are apparently continuing to put a racial spin on this. It's so angering, because it's obvious these people couldn't care less about a transwoman being beaten and are just using her pain to further their own racism. The horrific actions of her attackers had nothing to do with their race or her race.
I agree that it was not racially motivated.

-----------

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2011, 02:40 PM   #49
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart View Post
Exactly! Think of how many victims are scrutinized by the defense at trial. They are re-victimized.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2011, 04:06 PM   #50
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by dykeumentary View Post
This story also happened this week:

Police: Father kills 2 over daughter's girlfriend
© 2011 The Associated Press
April 20, 2011, 4:42PM

AUSTIN, Texas — A man upset over his high school-age daughter's lesbian relationship fatally shot her 24-year-old girlfriend and the girlfriend's mother, Austin police said Wednesday.
Jose Alfonso Aviles, 45, has been charged with capital murder. Police say Aviles shot to death Norma Hurtado, 24, and her mother, 57-year-old Maria Hurtado, on Monday night after knocking on their door.
Aviles was arrested early Tuesday morning in a wooded area in nearby Bexar County. He was expected to be transferred to the Travis County jail Wednesday, Austin police Sgt. Hector Reveles told The Associated Press. Reveles said he had no information on an attorney.
The Austin American-Statesman reported that police and court documents said Aviles' daughter was in the home at the time and found the two after the shooting, which police say came after a months-long feud between the families.
The daughter's "family was quite upset over this relationship," Austin police Lt. Gena Curtis told the newspaper. "This had been an ongoing dispute between these families and it turned tragic, into a horrific act of violence with the death of two individuals."
The daughter told police that she and Norma Hurtado had been involved in a lesbian relationship and that her father didn't approve.
The affidavit said a witness told police that the daughter's parents would send threatening text messages to Norma Hurtado. In one message, Aviles threatened to kill Hurtado and her mother, the document said.
Friends of the daughter said she had turned 18 last month. Reveles would not reveal the daughter's age, citing the investigation.
The Travis County district attorney's office has not determined whether the case will be classified as a hate crime.
"It is something we will have to take a look at after the investigation is more complete," said Jackie Wood, an assistant district attorney and a member of the office's hate crime task force.
Police also said they are looking for a second unidentified man who witnesses said fled the scene with Aviles in a green sport utility vehicle.
___
Information from: Austin American-Statesman, http://www.statesman.com
Every identity within the LGBTI-Q community/population is at risk for violence and for me, is the main reason I try support us all. I feel such a need for us to break-down obstacles within our diverse sub-communities under the Queer umbrella (every single one of them), communicate, organize, share resources, build political coalitions and fight this violence.

As Pride events are nearing here in the SF Bay Area, I continue to feel sadness with the separations that exist between the L-B-G and T-I-Q comunities. it is better than it used to be, but, we have a long way to go.

I really struggle with having 3 different "parades"- one for Gays, another for Dykes and one for Trans. On one hand, I understand this dynamic and individual celebration aspect, on the hand, I feel like it impedes really raising consciousness and money to fight these fights.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:53 AM   #51
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,903 Times in 1,030 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

There was a rally yesterday to speak out against violence in light of what happened last week in Baltimore:

Quote:
More than 300 spectators gathered and sang “We Shall Overcome” yesterday in a rally to draw attention to violence against transgender individuals after the violent attack on Chrissy Polis, a transgender woman violently attacked in a McDonald’s bathroom in Rosedale, Md.

The rally, which brought out politicians, community leaders, and supporters, called for an end to violence and was “surprisingly upbeat and jubilant,” according to The Washington Blade.

“The turnout tonight is wonderful, I’m so happy,” Renee Carr, Polis’ mother, told The Blade. “I didn’t think that McDonald’s was a dangerous place, all she wanted to do was eat and use the bathroom,” Carr continued referring to the April 18 attack.

According to a police report, the incident began when the two female attackers—one 14 years old and the other 18 years old—became upset after seeing Polis enter the women’s restroom.

The attack, recorded in a three-minute video by a McDonald’s employee, went viral over the past week with more than 500,000 people having watched it on one site. Since then, the video has been removed from YouTube and the McDonald’s employee has been fired by the franchisee.

“This is truly an LGBT moment,” Mary Washington, a lesbian member of Maryland’s House of Delegates from Baltimore City, said. “Our allies are here as well. I see this moment lasting and we will resume the fight to pass HB 235.”

The Gender Identity Non-Discrimination Act, or HB 235, failed in the Maryland legislature earlier this year after not garnering the needed support from lawmakers.
http://glaadblog.org/2011/04/26/lgbt...rce=feedburner
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2011, 09:10 AM   #52
Luv

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 1,216 Times in 366 Posts
Luv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST Reputation
Default McDonalds reply to my e-mail

Hello *****:

Thank you for sharing your comments with McDonald's and for giving us an opportunity to share some information with you.

There's no room for violence under the Golden Arches. We strongly condemn the videotaped assault in one of our Baltimore franchised restaurants. Working with the authorities, we now have more facts, and we want to share our actions with you.

First and foremost, our thoughts are with the victim during this time.

Our franchisee is investigating the behavior and response of his employees. Action has been taken, and the crew member who made the video is no longer employed by his organization. Appropriate action regarding other employees will take place as warranted.

We want to reassure our customers that your neighborhood McDonald's is a safe, welcoming place for everyone. We share our customers' concern, and we are doing everything possible to make sure the right thing is done.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact McDonald's.

Jessica
McDonald's Customer Response Center
Luv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Luv For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2011, 09:43 AM   #53
greeneyedgrrl

How Do You Identify?:
femme/queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her

Thanked 3,267 Times in 835 Posts
greeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputation
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tabitha View Post

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]McDonald's Employee Took Credit For Filming Brutal Beating In Baltimore Fast Food Joint

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/...medium=twitter

[/LEFT]
i read this article, and i'm wondering... wtf the victim's "rap sheet" has anything to do with anything? and bringing up her birth name?
greeneyedgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:58 AM   #54
greeneyedgrrl

How Do You Identify?:
femme/queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her

Thanked 3,267 Times in 835 Posts
greeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastHome View Post
I really struggle with having 3 different "parades"- one for Gays, another for Dykes and one for Trans. On one hand, I understand this dynamic and individual celebration aspect, on the hand, I feel like it impedes really raising consciousness and money to fight these fights.
you should come down to so. bay today ...we're having our dyke/trans march (hopefully since it's raining). we do it in conjunction with our larger pride celeb (tomorrow). we got crap from sf for doing it as a collab, which i don't understand..especially since we have a small community here and many of the trans people are also part of the lesbian community. i don't get the separation either..way i see it, we're all in it together.
greeneyedgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greeneyedgrrl For This Useful Post: