Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Celebrity, Music, Television, Internet Culture

Old 03-02-2010, 11:36 PM   #181
Kast

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
hye
Relationship Status:
in love with her

Kast Has the BEST ReputationKast Has the BEST ReputationKast Has the BEST ReputationKast Has the BEST ReputationKast Has the BEST ReputationKast Has the BEST ReputationKast Has the BEST ReputationKast Has the BEST ReputationKast Has the BEST ReputationKast Has the BEST ReputationKast Has the BEST Reputation

yada, yada... good ones! Tell us about a good James Dean movie, which one is the best in your opinions?
Kast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:38 PM   #182
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kam View Post
yada, yada... good ones! Tell us about a good James Dean movie, which one is the best in your opinions?
Giant based Edna Ferber's novel. He only made about 3 before (dont quote me) his death in his 20s. He's so good in it, transforming from a man in his 20s to his 60s and pulling it off.
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jet For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2010, 04:04 AM   #183
Kast

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
hye
Relationship Status:
in love with her

Kast Has the BEST ReputationKast Has the BEST ReputationKast Has the BEST ReputationKast Has the BEST ReputationKast Has the BEST ReputationKast Has the BEST ReputationKast Has the BEST ReputationKast Has the BEST ReputationKast Has the BEST ReputationKast Has the BEST ReputationKast Has the BEST Reputation

It's sad, the poor guy... driving along - minding his own business... and wham! gets hit head-on by a Mac Truck... I can totally relate...
Kast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:17 PM   #184
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation
Default Jet's FlixMix-True Story Prison Flix

Four Big Prison Films!
Four True Stories!
Four Golden Decades of Classic Hollywood!

I Am a Fugitive From A Chain Gang,1932
Call Northside 777, 1948
Carbine Williams, 1952
Birdman of Alcatraz, 1962

Summaries

I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang, 1932
I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang is a pre-Code crime/drama in which Paul Muni stars as a wrongfully convicted convict on a chain gang who escapes to Chicago. The film was written by Howard J. Green and Brown Holmes from Robert Elliott Burns's autobiography, I Am a Fugitive from a Georgia Chain Gang that was serialised in True Detective magazine. It was directed by Mervyn LeRoy. In 1991, I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".

More on the real Robert Elliot Burns
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Elliott_Burns

Call Northside 777, 1948
Call Northside 777 is a film noir directed by Henry Hathaway. It is based on the true story of a Chicago reporter who proved that a man who has been in prison for murder, was wrongly convicted 11 years before. James Stewart stars as the persistent Chicago journalist who proves Wiecek's innocence. This is a captivating story. Richard Conte plays the imprisoned Frank Wiecek, a character based on Joseph Majczek, who was wrongly convicted of the murder of a Chicago policeman in 1932, one of the worst years of organized crime during the Great Depression.

More on the real Joseph Majczek
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/wron...ekSummary.html

Carbine Williams, 1952
Carbine Williams is a biography directed by Richard Thorpe, starring James Stewart. The film follows the life of David Marshall Williams (James Stewart), who invented the semi-automatic M1 Carbine used in World War II. Williams was found distilling illegal moonshine, and was held responsible for the death of a federal officer during a raid on his still. He was sentenced to thirty years Hard Labor. He cycled through the prison system, until a firm, but compassionate warden, H.T. Peoples (Wendell Corey) allowed him to work in a prison tool shop. There he invented the gas system for his famous rifle, and eventually was released from prison in 1929 and worked with Winchester Firearms on development of the M1 Carbine. It's amazing to see how someone incarcerated, at a time the prison system was neandrathal, could develop and patent an advanced firearm used in war.

More on the real David Marshall "Carbine" Williams
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Marshall_Williams

Birdman of Alcatraz, directed by John Frankenheimer, stars Burt Lancaster. It is a fictionalized version of the life of Robert Stroud, a federal prison inmate known as the "Birdman of Alcatraz" because of his life with birds. In spite of the title, much of the action is set at Leavenworth prison where Stroud was jailed with his birds. When moved to Alcatraz he was not allowed to keep any pets.

The film was adapted by Guy Trosper from the 1955 book by Thomas E. Gaddis. It was nominated for Academy Awards for Best Actor in a Leading Role (Burt Lancaster), Best Actor in a Supporting Role (Telly Savalas), Best Actress in a Supporting Role (Thelma Ritter) and Best Cinematography, Black-and-White. Stroud was never allowed to see the film. The movie is told in flashback, narrated by Gaddis (O'Brien), the author of the book upon which it is based.

More on Robert Stroud
http://www.alcatrazhistory.com/stroud.htm

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTBS9p829q8"]YouTube- I AM A FUGITIVE FROM CHAINGANG[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U0_Mj1GitI"]YouTube- The Birdman of Alcatraz[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlFBva0x_OY"]YouTube- Call Northside 777 - Chiamata Nord 777 (1948) Trailer[/ame]

See ya at the movies....
Old 03-04-2010, 12:32 PM   #185
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,382 Times in 2,839 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

I love "Fugitive from a"....we studied it in my Great Films of the 1930's class in college.

One of my fav prison stories is "Papillon".

Last night we watched "Laura" again. I really think having a huge tub like that in my office would improve my work.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:24 PM   #186
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Pinky's mommy :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Thanked 1,502 Times in 637 Posts
cinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputation

Apocalipstic, I love PAPILLION!! I saw the film before I read the book...and it's a good thing I did! The movie was wonderful, but the book was extraordinary!!

OK, HEADS UP!!!! March 27, on TCM, the debut of one of the best love stories ever...Letter From An Unknown Woman...Louis Jordan's American film debut. Joan Fontain's personal favorite film, and it will be yours as well. I absolutely love this film. Hey, Ol' Jet, do you know know this film? IMO, one of the best of this genre.
cinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:25 PM   #187
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderella View Post
Apocaliispe, I love PAPILLION!!

OK, HEADS UP!!!! March 27, on TCM, the debut for one of the best love stories ever...Letter From An Unknown Woman...Louis Jordan's American film debut. Joan Fontain's personal favorite film, and it will be yours as well. I absolutely love this film. Hey, Ol' Jet, do you know know this film? IMO, one of the best of this genre.
no, but i'll be sure to watch if you keep me reminded. is this a chick-flick?
summary?

PS, I like papillon too
I'm a McQueen fan
Old 03-04-2010, 07:44 PM   #188
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

cinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputation

Admidttedly, it is a 'chick flick', but in a universal sense, but it has alot of 'noirish' and gothic flavor. It is beautifully photographed, and just has such a dream-like quality. It is a beautiful film. I think you'll like it, despite of all of your testosterone...

Summary: Kinda like Anna Karinina, at least it reminds me of that, except without the 'train' tragedy.

A love-struck pre-pubescent falls deeply in love with the new tenant in her apt. building - he is a concert pianist. She adores and worships him. They meet years later when she is a young woman. He wines & dines her, she is still madly in love with him. He is a proverbial playboy, she is just another notch on his belt, where he is her whole life.

Life gets in the way, and their lives take a very different turn. The meet years later. They have a short interlude, and after the wine and brief encounter, she realizes to her dismay, that he doesn't remember her.

In the interim she has married and had a child. The child is the pianist's child, being passed off as her hunband's who does know it is not his child. During a chance encounter where they meet, and again persue their romance (tho he's not aware of who she is - he thinks it's just a new conquest), she again visits his apartment, and soon realizes that he does not remember her, or who she is.

The husband, upon realizing what is going on, threatens to take the child away, and challenges the interloper to a duel. But before all this takes place, Jordan defers to a letter received just before the duel. A letter that reveals who his latest romantic interest is, and that he has a child. He slowly goes back in his memory, and finally realizes who this woman is.

I don't want to give everything away - you've got to see the film. It is beautifully executed, and the acting is superb. I hope you get a chance to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jet View Post
no, but i'll be sure to watch if you keep me reminded. is this a chick-flick?
summary?

PS, I like papillon too
I'm a McQueen fan
The Following User Says Thank You to cinderella For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2010, 07:51 PM   #189
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

gee......i dunnoooooo.....could be too sensitive....its a mighty big departure from war and insensitive, oppressive prison flixk....and certainly hoity-toity for my classlessness.....ya think i could handle it, comrade?

you think you could bring me around?
Old 03-04-2010, 07:56 PM   #190
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

FYI Carmen, i opened the Oscars thread so people can vote and comment.

take a gander
http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/foru...read.php?t=949
Old 03-04-2010, 08:06 PM   #191
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Underneath that 'macho', tough exterior, I like to think beats the heart of a 'softee' who doesn't want the world to know...then I could be totally wrong! lol

Yeah, I think you can handle it, Mr. toughguy, And if you do like it, you don't hafta admit it, and I promise not to tell anyone.

Quote:
gee......i dunnoooooo.....could be too sensitive....its a mighty big departure from war and insensitive, oppressive prison flixk....and certainly hoity-toity for my classlessness.....ya think i could handle it, comrade?

you think you could bring me around?
Old 03-04-2010, 08:09 PM   #192
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
Underneath that 'macho', tough exterior, I like to think beats the heart of a 'softee' who doesn't want the world to know...then I could be totally wrong! lol

Yeah, I think you can handle it, Mr. toughguy, And if you do like it, you don't hafta admit it, and I promise not to tell anyone.
see ya at the chick flick, comrade (hugs)
Old 03-04-2010, 08:11 PM   #193
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Yanno, Ol' Jet, I don't go to the movies anymore - I purchase whatever I have in my collection - and they tend to be the classics.

My personal opinion...I do not care for what's being churned out in so-called Hollywood these days, so I'm not up to par on what the latest movies are, so there's no point in my watching the Oscars. Personally, I think it's a waste of time. Other then the British films, I can't see anything being produced today worth watching - much less being 'awarded' anything! But again, that's my own personal opinion.

Quote:
FYI Carmen, i opened the Oscars thread so people can vote and comment.

take a gander
http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/foru...read.php?t=949
Old 03-04-2010, 08:15 PM   #194
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

You forgot...The Front Page with James Stewart and Richard Conte...

Quote:

Four Big Prison Films!
Four True Stories!

Call Northside 777, 1948
Carbine Williams, 1952

Summaries

I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang is a pre-Code crime/drama in which Paul Muni stars as a wrongfully convicted convict on a chain gang who escapes to Chicago. The film was written by Howard J. Green and Brown Holmes from Robert Elliott Burns's autobiography, I Am a Fugitive from a Georgia Chain Gang that was serialised in True Detective magazine. It was directed by Mervyn LeRoy. In 1991, I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".

Call Northside 777, 1948
Call Northside 777 is a film noir directed by Henry Hathaway. It is based on the true story of a Chicago reporter who proved that a man who has been in prison for murder, was wrongly convicted 11 years before. James Stewart stars as the persistent Chicago journalist who proves Wiecek's innocence. This is a captivating story. Richard Conte plays the imprisoned Frank Wiecek, a character based on Joseph Majczek, who was wrongly convicted of the murder of a Chicago policeman in 1932, one of the worst years of organized crime during the Great Depression.

Carbine Williams, 1952
Carbine Williams is a biography directed by Richard Thorpe, starring James Stewart. The film follows the life of David Marshall Williams (James Stewart), who invented the semi-automatic M1 Carbine used in World War II. Williams was found distilling illegal moonshine, and was held responsible for the death of a federal officer during a raid on his still. He was sentenced to thirty years Hard Labor. He cycled through the prison system, until a firm, but compassionate warden, H.T. Peoples (Wendell Corey) allowed him to work in a prison tool shop. There he invented the gas system for his famous rifle, and eventually was released from prison in 1929 and worked with Winchester Firearms on development of the M1 Carbine. It's amazing to see how someone incarcerated, at a time the prison system was neandrathal, could develop and patent an advanced firearm used in war.

Birdman of Alcatraz, directed by John Frankenheimer, stars Burt Lancaster. It is a fictionalized version of the life of Robert Stroud, a federal prison inmate known as the "Birdman of Alcatraz" because of his life with birds. In spite of the title, much of the action is set at Leavenworth prison where Stroud was jailed with his birds. When moved to Alcatraz he was not allowed to keep any pets.

The film was adapted by Guy Trosper from the 1955 book by Thomas E. Gaddis. It was nominated for Academy Awards for Best Actor in a Leading Role (Burt Lancaster), Best Actor in a Supporting Role (Telly Savalas), Best Actress in a Supporting Role (Thelma Ritter) and Best Cinematography, Black-and-White. Stroud was never allowed to see the film. The movie is told in flashback, narrated by Gaddis (O'Brien), the author of the book upon which it is based.

More on Robert Stroud

YouTube- I AM A FUGITIVE FROM CHAINGANG

YouTube- The Birdman of Alcatraz

YouTube- Call Northside 777 - Chiamata Nord 777 (1948) Trailer

See ya at the movies....
Old 03-04-2010, 08:20 PM   #195
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
Yanno, Ol' Jet, I don't go to the movies anymore - I purchase whatever I have in my collection - and they tend to be the classics.

My personal opinion...I do not care for what's being churned out in so-called Hollywood these days, so I'm not up to par on what the latest movies are, so there's no point in my watching the Oscars. Personally, I think it's a waste of time. Other then the British films, I can't see anything being produced today worth watching - much less being 'awarded' anything! But again, that's my own personal opinion.
The Blind Side is a wonderful true story. Good script, heartwarming story, and Sandra Bullock deserves to win, I don;t think she's ever won. What a performance. There's also two great actors from Precious. Now, i didn't like the movie at all..gritty, dark, depressing. But I need to say that Gabbie Sidibe and Mo'Nique who are up for Oscars, also deserve them. You feel it's way real when you watch them. Two terrific actors. Also, i'm pulling for Jeff Bridges in Crazy Heart. He's always been a great actor, never won and really delivers in the movie as a down and out, raw country singer on his last leg of his life. I see a lot of merit in these, and I enjoy people who i really admire have their moment in their craft.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:23 PM   #196
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Hey guy, how about The Naked City - one of the best film Noir of 1948. I love this film, not only because it's great, but it reminds me of my childhood in the lower East side of Manhattan in the 50's. I know those streets, I walked them as a child. This film has very special meaning for me - everytime I see it, it's like looking back into my past...

Quote:

Four Big Prison Films!
Four True Stories!

Call Northside 777, 1948
Carbine Williams, 1952

Summaries

Call Northside 777, 1948

Carbine Williams, 1952

More on Robert Stroud

YouTube- I AM A FUGITIVE FROM CHAINGANG

YouTube- The Birdman of Alcatraz

YouTube- Call Northside 777 - Chiamata Nord 777 (1948) Trailer

See ya at the movies....
Old 03-04-2010, 08:30 PM   #197
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

I love the Naked City. and along those gritty dark lines, DOA
Old 03-04-2010, 08:42 PM   #198
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Love DOA, own it, and watch it whenever it's on TCM. Edmond O'Brian looks just like an interior design instructor I had at FIT - I told him so, and he agreed...

Another great Noir film is Asphalt Jungle - love the grittiness, and absense of music in some crucial scenes in this film. It's the kind of film one doesn't forget that easily. Sam Jaffe was excellent in this, as was Sterling Heyden.

Quote:
I love the Naked City. and along those gritty dark lines, DOA
Old 03-05-2010, 03:35 AM   #199
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

correction - my post #194
I confused Northside 777 with The Front Page, my apologies.

In Northside 777 the magnification and enhancement of the front page of a newspaper to reveal a date (instrumental in proving the defendant's innocense, and thereby acquiting him), was such a major and important aspect of this film, that I always confuse the title and think of it as The Front Page, which is another movie entirely.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:30 AM   #200
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,382 Times in 2,839 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Apocalipstic, I love PAPILLION!! I saw the film before I read the book...and it's a good thing I did! The movie was wonderful, but the book was extraordinary!!

OK, HEADS UP!!!! March 27, on TCM, the debut of one of the best love stories ever...Letter From An Unknown Woman...Louis Jordan's American film debut. Joan Fontain's personal favorite film, and it will be yours as well. I absolutely love this film. Hey, Ol' Jet, do you know know this film? IMO, one of the best of this genre.
Will have to check it out! Thank you! I usually don't do chick flicks, but if its Gothic and Noirish count me in!

I care more about the cinematography, sets, acting than I do the actual plot. The plot is secondary for me. Probably why I like Altman so much.

Louis Jordan cracks me UP!