Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > RELATIONSHIPS, COMMUNITY, GROUPS > Finding Your People - Special Groups

Finding Your People - Special Groups Are you a member of AA? Neurodiverse? a Vegan? Find your people here!

View Poll Results: Are you a Veteran???
I served in the Army 24 46.15%
I served in the Navy 5 9.62%
I served in the Air Force 7 13.46%
I served in the Coast Guard 1 1.92%
I'm a United States Marine 5 9.62%
I served in the Army Nat'l Guard 2 3.85%
I served in the Air National Guard 1 1.92%
I served in a Reserve Component (please specify) 3 5.77%
I served in the Armed Forces of another country 4 7.69%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2012, 09:54 AM   #121
theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

Thanked 9,884 Times in 2,481 Posts
theoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadeest View Post
I had an interesting time, tonight at Golden Corral. They had seated a fellow Marine and his partner with my friend and I, and during the convo, he asked me where I did my boot camp at. Either he wasn't paying attention, or I looked rather male to him, as I told him that I did my boot camp at MCRD San Diego. What is funny, for all the non-Marines out there, reading this, is that Women Marines are only given their basic training (boot camp) at MRCD Parris Island. Fortunately, nothing bad happened, and he did not say a word about it, to me.

Heh.....I got a chuckle out of that!!! You know, since my own transition, it's been up to me, pretty much, to reveal that I once served as a Woman Marine, but that's something I'm pretty proud of. Every great once in awhile, when I'm at work (I work with Veterans, as you know), there might be someone (a patient) I'll "out" myself to, but it's always been in the spirit of pride and also a bit of trust in the person I'm revealing myself to. Veterans, as a group, tend to be on the "conservative" side, so I generally don't take the chance that my revelation will be met with a positive response unless the conversation comes up and I've had quite a bit of interaction with a patient and I get the feeling that they are more liberal-minded than not.

I do understand and have also experienced that bit of nervousness that you have probably also gotten in some situations, though. The Marine Corps has always had the reputation of being an "ol' boys' club, a "man's world" and "no place for a woman". If women served in the Marine Corps in years gone by, they were assumed by society (and male Marines) to be whores, lesbians or "out to get a husband". I think that's changing, though, as attitudes change, however slowly, and women begin to take on more roles (combat related, mostly) in the Marine Corps. As for me, well, I've gotten remarks like "You're proof that the Marine Corps can make a man out of anyone.", to which I respond with, "Yep, and a better man out of some than others". I seriously and profoundly admire your courage and spirit in being who you are while still maintaining such remarkable pride in the uniform that you served in. I'm proud to be your brother.

I know what you're talking about, though, and that certain "questioning" or period of apprehension that people like you and me go through when confronted with some aspects of our past. I'm a Lifetime Member of the Woman Marines Association, and I'd love to go to one of their national conventions, which are held each year, and serve to bring Women Marines of all generations together. I'd love to go, but I won't. I'm kind of ashamed to say that I don't have the courage to go, at this point in time (). I'm working it up, though. I'll go to one, one of these days.

Anyway, all that said, I want to assure you that I'm very proud to share The Title and the legacy with you. After all, you're the one who made it up "Mount M*therF*cker", not me!!!!!

My hat's off to you!!!

Semper Fi,

~Theo~
Old 11-14-2012, 08:45 PM   #122
Nadeest

How Do You Identify?:
as myself
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,118 Times in 501 Posts
Nadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoddz View Post

e ().
Anyway, all that said, I want to assure you that I'm very proud to share The Title and the legacy with you. After all, you're the one who made it up "Mount M*therF*cker", not me!!!!!

My hat's off to you!!!

Semper Fi,

~Theo~
That is one of the hazards of being a 'Hollywood Marine'. :P
Nadeest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nadeest For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #123
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,164 Times in 2,006 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation
Default Unacceptable (aka "Talk is Cheap")

Number of veterans who die waiting for benefits claims skyrockets

Long wait times contribute to delays of tens of thousands of benefits, pensions

By Aaron Glantz on December 20, 2012 - 12:00 a.m. PST

Rep. Jeff Miller, R-Fla., chairman of the House Committee on Veterans’ Affairs, said the data confirmed the worst fears of many veterans and members of Congress.

“The common refrain we hear from many veterans is, ‘Delay, deny, wait till I die,’ ” said Miller, who called the burgeoning backlog of benefits claims a “national embarrassment.”

Nationwide, about 900,000 veterans and their families have been waiting about nine months for a decision on their claims, with those in America’s major urban areas waiting the longest. As of October, the most recent month for which numbers are available, the average wait time for a veteran was 15 months in Chicago, 16 months in New York and a year and a half in Los Angeles.

http://www.baycitizen.org/veterans/s...eid=23f9563460
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #124
theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

theoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Thanks for posting that, Greyson. It is a national travesty that our Veterans have to wait so long to get the benefits that we've earned. It always seems like the nation/political system is forever ready to get us involved in armed conflict, yet is never ready or prepared to take care of us, once the Veteran returns. The VA was in really shabby condition and completely unprepared to care for the Veterans of Vietnam. Again, we see nearly the same and even worse with the VBA (Veterans Benefit Administration) this time around, with OIF/OEF Vets.

I can tell you, from my own personal experience of obtaining my benefits, it is a long, long, lengthy process and most times, nearly every Veteran is denied the first time their claim is presented to the Adjudication Board. A Vet could roll in to the VA as an amputee who had his/her legs blown off in battle and the VA would look at them and say, "No, that isn't service-connected". You know why they do that?? Because they know that there will be a certain percentage of Veterans who will just give up and go away, and that saves the VA a lot of money. Another thing the Adjudication system just LOVES to do, when processing a claim, is to "remand" it and send it back to get "more information". Before the VA and DoD became computerized, it took a LOT longer for this to happen. It took me 12+ years to finally get my full benefits, and that was waaaaaaay too long!!! It just breaks my heart to see our service men and women have to fight the VA like they must in order to get their benefits.

The key to finally getting one's VA benefits/compensation is persistence. You just have to keep at them and keep filing the "Notice of Disagreement" each and every time the claim is denied. Don't give up. Oh, and it also helps a LOT if you get a Service Officer (AMVETS, DAV, American Legion, VFW) to work your claim for you. These guys are provided by their organizations, free of charge to Veterans, for the sole purpose of filing and processing disability claims. They are available at ALL VA Medical Centers and at some clinic locations. Some require appointments and some do walk-in's. If you're trying to get help from these people, call your main VAMC phone number and ask to be connected, or for the phone number, of one of the Service Officers. Don't try to process your claim by yourself. The process is confusing and tends to require many time deadlines. These guys keep track of these things for the Veteran, and most of the time, they have "connections" at the Adjudication Boards that can sometimes speed things up a lot.

Thanks again, Greyson, for posting this!!!!

~Theo~
Old 01-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #125
theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

Member Photo Albums

I'm frustrated with the VA and need to vent, so I'm posting this:

Tommy

I went into a public-'ouse to get a pint o' beer,
The publican 'e up an' sez, "We serve no red-coats here."
The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die,
I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:
O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away";
But it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play,
The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
O it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play.

I went into a theatre as sober as could be,
They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me;
They sent me to the gallery or round the music-'alls,
But when it comes to fightin', Lord! they'll shove me in the stalls!
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, wait outside";
But it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide,
The troopship's on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide,
O it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide.

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep
Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap;
An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit
Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.

Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?"
But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll,
The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
O it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll.

We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too,
But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;
An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints,
Why, single men in barricks don't grow into plaster saints;
While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, fall be'ind",
But it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind,
There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind,
O it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind.

You talk o' better food for us, an' schools, an' fires, an' all:
We'll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.
Don't mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face
The Widow's Uniform is not the soldier-man's disgrace.
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
But it's "Saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot;
An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
An' Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool -- you bet that Tommy sees!

~Rudyard Kipling

~Theo~
theoddz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to theoddz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2013, 07:40 PM   #126
Parker
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Butch. Lesbian. Dyke. Woman. Female.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, of course!
Relationship Status:
Content

Thanked 11,730 Times in 2,432 Posts
Parker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoddz View Post
Thanks for posting that, Greyson. It is a national travesty that our Veterans have to wait so long to get the benefits that we've earned. It always seems like the nation/political system is forever ready to get us involved in armed conflict, yet is never ready or prepared to take care of us, once the Veteran returns. The VA was in really shabby condition and completely unprepared to care for the Veterans of Vietnam. Again, we see nearly the same and even worse with the VBA (Veterans Benefit Administration) this time around, with OIF/OEF Vets.

I can tell you, from my own personal experience of obtaining my benefits, it is a long, long, lengthy process and most times, nearly every Veteran is denied the first time their claim is presented to the Adjudication Board. A Vet could roll in to the VA as an amputee who had his/her legs blown off in battle and the VA would look at them and say, "No, that isn't service-connected". You know why they do that?? Because they know that there will be a certain percentage of Veterans who will just give up and go away, and that saves the VA a lot of money. Another thing the Adjudication system just LOVES to do, when processing a claim, is to "remand" it and send it back to get "more information". Before the VA and DoD became computerized, it took a LOT longer for this to happen. It took me 12+ years to finally get my full benefits, and that was waaaaaaay too long!!! It just breaks my heart to see our service men and women have to fight the VA like they must in order to get their benefits.

The key to finally getting one's VA benefits/compensation is persistence. You just have to keep at them and keep filing the "Notice of Disagreement" each and every time the claim is denied. Don't give up. Oh, and it also helps a LOT if you get a Service Officer (AMVETS, DAV, American Legion, VFW) to work your claim for you. These guys are provided by their organizations, free of charge to Veterans, for the sole purpose of filing and processing disability claims. They are available at ALL VA Medical Centers and at some clinic locations. Some require appointments and some do walk-in's. If you're trying to get help from these people, call your main VAMC phone number and ask to be connected, or for the phone number, of one of the Service Officers. Don't try to process your claim by yourself. The process is confusing and tends to require many time deadlines. These guys keep track of these things for the Veteran, and most of the time, they have "connections" at the Adjudication Boards that can sometimes speed things up a lot.

Thanks again, Greyson, for posting this!!!!

~Theo~
I actually count myself as lucky because my claim(s) took less than a year each - but to be fair, they werent initial claims but a re-evaluations. I did my initial claim back when I first got out and they decided certain things were service connected, but rated at 0% so I never bothered with it again - until things got decidedly worse and I had to have a hysto. Then I requested a re-evaluation and then another re-evaluation a couple of years later when the complications of that made things even worse.

Now I am playing the waiting game with the SSA - apply-deny, appeal-deny, ALJ-non-favorable, and now we are at the appeals council portion of the game.

I didnt have any help with my re-evaluations with the VA because, for some reason, DAV didnt want to help me out and be an advocate/rep (too bogged down maybe? dunno), but with SSA, I have a lawyer to help me wade through the gobbledegook.

It's a tough fight and sometimes a long wait - and sometimes I even catch hell from people who think I am just lazy and looking for entitlements - but each one of us earned those benefits; so I would encourage each veteran to hang in there and keep fighting for what you deserve.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Parker For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #127
Tommi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Usually "Hello"
Relationship Status:
Married and Bound to Tommi's kaijira (Ts_kaijira )

1 Highscore

Location: Suthun.... California that is. Across the ridge from Laguna Beach.
Thanked 21,337 Times in 5,968 Posts
Tommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

We can all come together and be part of this great country today.
That flag of Freedom lived and died for flies proudly for all.
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tommi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2013, 09:53 AM   #128
Tommi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Usually "Hello"
Relationship Status:
Married and Bound to Tommi's kaijira (Ts_kaijira )

1 Highscore

Location: Suthun.... California that is. Across the ridge from Laguna Beach.
Thanked 21,337 Times in 5,968 Posts
Tommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default The Prsident's tank. "The Beast?

Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tommi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2013, 06:26 AM   #129
Wolfsong

How Do You Identify?:
Aw man....another label?
Preferred Pronoun?:
Boys will be boys
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 2,031 Times in 418 Posts
Wolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST Reputation
Default Good To See The Usual Suspects....

A few things of note.....

Film Explores Life After Military for Female Vets

For those that didn't know about the memorial linked below, I strongly urge you to add your dog tags to the tree. People need to know what we did, what we stand for. It can never be complete without you.

Women in the Military Service for America Memorial

Hey........anyone want to trade MRE's? I got Sloppy Joe's again.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wolfsong For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2013, 07:08 AM   #130
Little Fish

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
female ones, will also respond to babe, boi and Romeo
Relationship Status:
Happy :-)

Thanked 1,886 Times in 321 Posts
Little Fish Has the BEST ReputationLittle Fish Has the BEST ReputationLittle Fish Has the BEST ReputationLittle Fish Has the BEST ReputationLittle Fish Has the BEST ReputationLittle Fish Has the BEST ReputationLittle Fish Has the BEST ReputationLittle Fish Has the BEST ReputationLittle Fish Has the BEST ReputationLittle Fish Has the BEST ReputationLittle Fish Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up VA HOME LOAN PROGRAM ?

Hey Vets--

Has anyone here used the VA Home Loan program?

I'm wanting to buy a house but this program doesn't seem to be used widely in my area...or so I've been told. (and I'm suspect of this agent so...)

Did it work for you?
Which Lender did you use?
Which lender would you stay away from?
Lessons learned?

Also, do you use USAA insurance for anything?

All comments welcome, thanks!

(I still have a case of MREs--the shelf life is scary.)
Little Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Fish For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2013, 07:34 AM   #131
Parker
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, of course!
Relationship Status:
Content

Parker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST Reputation

Hey Little Fish - I plan on using my VA Home Loan when I move to IL and my bank (Navy Federal CU) is who I will try to secure my loan from. I can come back and post about the process ... I honestly wouldnt trust an agent who tries to steer you away from using yours. My landlady is a Realtor and when I started talking about everything that entails using the VA Home Loan, she wondered why I havent used mine yet. lol

Also, while I dont use USAA, I have heard nothing but good things about them for insurance and as a banking institution. I already have good insurance and use NFCU though, so I dont need USAA right now.

-----

I have some MREs, but not from my time in the Navy - these are ones I bought in like 2009 or 2010 for emergencies. I have beef stew, spaghetti, and chicken alfredo. I love the stew
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Parker For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2013, 07:55 AM   #132
BoDy*ShOt

How Do You Identify?:
Queer. Femme.
Preferred Pronoun?:
girl ones

Thanked 2,096 Times in 532 Posts
BoDy*ShOt Has the BEST ReputationBoDy*ShOt Has the BEST ReputationBoDy*ShOt Has the BEST ReputationBoDy*ShOt Has the BEST ReputationBoDy*ShOt Has the BEST ReputationBoDy*ShOt Has the BEST ReputationBoDy*ShOt Has the BEST ReputationBoDy*ShOt Has the BEST ReputationBoDy*ShOt Has the BEST ReputationBoDy*ShOt Has the BEST ReputationBoDy*ShOt Has the BEST Reputation

hey theoddz - is there a statute of limitations for filing a VA disability claim? I've just recently come to learn that a procedure I had done in 1999, whilst active duty (USN), qualifies me in a disability rating. However, I've been HD'd since 2001.

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2013, 08:04 AM   #133
Parker
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, of course!
Relationship Status:
Content

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoDy*ShOt View Post
hey theoddz - is there a statute of limitations for filing a VA disability claim? I've just recently come to learn that a procedure I had done in 1999, whilst active duty (USN), qualifies me in a disability rating. However, I've been HD'd since 2001.

Thanks!
I know this question wasnt for me, but it cant hurt to apply.

When I got out in 1996, they told me to apply immediately or I would lose out on anything that happened later with any service connected disabilities; but from what I am seeing on-line, any veteran can apply at any time for anything they think is service connected.

If you already applied when you first got out like I did and had some things deemed service connected but 0% compensation, you can apply for a re-evaluation and they will look in to how your service connected disabilities are affecting you now and rate you accordingly. I did this twice - once after a surgery for something service connected and then a couple of years later, I applied for another re-eval because things got progressively worse after the surgery.

Bottom line, I say go to the website and get the ball rolling on applying - the worst they can do is deny.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Parker For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2013, 08:15 AM   #134
Little Fish

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
female ones, will also respond to babe, boi and Romeo
Relationship Status:
Happy :-)

Thanked 1,886 Times in 321 Posts
Little Fish Has the BEST ReputationLittle Fish Has the BEST ReputationLittle Fish Has the BEST ReputationLittle Fish Has the BEST ReputationLittle Fish Has the BEST ReputationLittle Fish Has the BEST ReputationLittle Fish Has the BEST ReputationLittle Fish Has the BEST ReputationLittle Fish Has the BEST ReputationLittle Fish Has the BEST ReputationLittle Fish Has the BEST Reputation
Default Thanks!

Parker,

I appreciate the info--and yes please, keep us posted on your process! I'm especially intrigued with the no PMI portion (which saves me big $ in the form of 20% down). I'd be interested in knowing how it goes down for you-

I agree, I've heard nothing but great things about USAA as well--I think I'll group all my policies in another month or so.
Little Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Fish For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #135
BoDy*ShOt

How Do You Identify?:
Queer. Femme.
Preferred Pronoun?:
girl ones

Thanked 2,096 Times in 532 Posts
BoDy*ShOt Has the BEST ReputationBoDy*ShOt Has the BEST ReputationBoDy*ShOt Has the BEST ReputationBoDy*ShOt Has the BEST ReputationBoDy*ShOt Has the BEST ReputationBoDy*ShOt Has the BEST ReputationBoDy*ShOt Has the BEST ReputationBoDy*ShOt Has the BEST ReputationBoDy*ShOt Has the BEST ReputationBoDy*ShOt Has the BEST ReputationBoDy*ShOt Has the BEST Reputation

Thank you, Parker! I was HD'd under DADT, so my transition out was.. lacking. I was completely clueless - no TAP classes; hell, I didn't even finish all my final medical stuff.. I was in my barracks room when I got a phone call.. Petty Officer, why are you still in the barracks? You were discharged this morning. THAT's how I knew I was out 0_o. So, discussions about VA benefits, not so much.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:25 AM   #136
theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fish View Post
Hey Vets--

Has anyone here used the VA Home Loan program?

I'm wanting to buy a house but this program doesn't seem to be used widely in my area...or so I've been told. (and I'm suspect of this agent so...)

Did it work for you?
Which Lender did you use?
Which lender would you stay away from?
Lessons learned?

Also, do you use USAA insurance for anything?

All comments welcome, thanks!

(I still have a case of MREs--the shelf life is scary.)
Hey there LF, yes I have used my VA home loan benefit. It's pretty simple, but let me clear up some misconceptions about what it is.

Any lender or builder should be able to work a VA home loan for you, though some realtors might not want to, because the VA home loan program doesn't allow lenders to tack on a lot of "junk" fees. They are heavily regulated and the loans require that the potential property be inspected and appraised by VA appraiser. It has to meet VA standards, and let me tell you.....those protect you, the Veteran!! That, sometimes, can take a bit of time, depending on the market and how busy the appraisers are. If you are a service-connected Disabled Veteran (at least 10% compensable), you cannot be charged a "funding fee" on your loan, either. Also, with a VA loan, you don't have to have a down payment. Of course, any money you might have to put down will be figured in your financing and will result in a lower monthly mortgage payment. That's with any loan, of course, and is always a good thing, if you can do it.

Okay, now....about the VA loan. A VA loan is a loan that is simply backed by the VA. The VA is the guarantor. This means that the VA acts similar to how a co-signer acts for a loan. They simply stand behind it, in case you default. It's a great program and there's lots of great information on the web about it, if you just google it. Here's a few links for you.

http://www.military.com/money/va-loa...ome-loans.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VA_loan

http://benefits.va.gov/homeloans/

Hope that's enough to get you started.

I would strongly encourage you to not opt for any other type of loan than the fixed rate loan. Don't go for that adjustable rate bullshit. That's gotten a lot of folks into big trouble.

Oh, and I have never used USAA. I have Navy Federal Credit Union and have had it for many years. I absolutely adore them!!!

Good luck!!!

Semper Fi,
~Theo~
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to theoddz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #137
Wolfsong

How Do You Identify?:
Aw man....another label?
Preferred Pronoun?:
Boys will be boys
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 2,031 Times in 418 Posts
Wolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Hey Little Fish - I plan on using my VA Home Loan when I move to IL and my bank (Navy Federal CU) is who I will try to secure my loan from. I can come back and post about the process ... I honestly wouldnt trust an agent who tries to steer you away from using yours. My landlady is a Realtor and when I started talking about everything that entails using the VA Home Loan, she wondered why I havent used mine yet. lol

Also, while I dont use USAA, I have heard nothing but good things about them for insurance and as a banking institution. I already have good insurance and use NFCU though, so I dont need USAA right now.

-----

I have some MREs, but not from my time in the Navy - these are ones I bought in like 2009 or 2010 for emergencies. I have beef stew, spaghetti, and chicken alfredo. I love the stew

I didn't use mine when I bought my house. The mortgage guy said at the time Fannie Mae was a better deal (or something like that). Maybe I shouldn't have listened to him. At least I've got it for future use.

Alfredo huh? Swap for sloppy joes?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wolfsong For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2013, 04:33 PM   #138
Parker
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, of course!
Relationship Status:
Content

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsong View Post
Alfredo huh? Swap for sloppy joes?
Sloppy Joes sound good
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Parker For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #139
theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsong View Post

Hey........anyone want to trade MRE's? I got Sloppy Joe's again.
The Commissary at Nellis AFB sells a case of 24 MRE meals for about $85. I think they are assorted varieties, but I can tell you this......they're 150% better than those canned C-rats (leftovers from Vietnam) that we got. Even my poor ol' dog wouldn't eat those.

~Theo~
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to theoddz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2013, 07:53 PM   #140
Parker
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, of course!
Relationship Status:
Content

I buy mine on-line from a site called TheEpicenter and I like to skip the full packages and just get the entrees. They end up costing me about $2.50 each after shipping.
The Following User Says Thank You to Parker For This Useful Post: