Ebon

How Do You Identify?:
With my souls eyes.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
lol

Thanked 11,144 Times in 2,755 Posts
Ebon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST Reputation
Default Student Loan system change

My friend just found this out just wanted to let you guys know.

"Head's up to trans people with changed legal names who have Direct Loans for student loans. Your loan may have been transferred to a new servicing company that sends you physical mail under your old name. I called and they are going to look into the glitch (which is the term used by system-makers when systems they develop don't think about us)."

That's what he typed in verbatim.

I'm a Soul Rebel

http://wannabereverend.wordpress.com/

Spirituality is not a belief system or ideology, it is the surrender of one's ego to the infinite wisdom and knowledge that is the universe.
Ebon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ebon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #182
Nadeest

How Do You Identify?:
as myself
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,118 Times in 501 Posts
Nadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST Reputation

Thanks for passing this info on. My roommate just got her name changed today, and I go to court for mine at the end of the month. We both have student loans out, as well.
Nadeest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nadeest For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #183
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,958 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Trans persons and the police in Los Angeles

I'll post more if I can get a hold of a print story later, but in a nutshell...

The police in LA are no longer allowed to call anyone Maam, Sir, or even question gender. If a person is Trans they will now be housed in the women's jail regardless of being male or female for saftey purposes.

The story was on news radio on my way in to work, so that is what I have for now.
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2012, 08:30 AM   #184
Nadeest

How Do You Identify?:
as myself
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Nadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST Reputation

Interesting. Thank you for posting this. It sounds like this action was the result of a lawsuit of some kind. Also, it sounds like some judge got PISSED at someone's transphobic actions. In a lot of ways, I hope that this is accurate. As a transwoman, I feel that it is great for us, but how about for the transmales? What do y'all think about this?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nadeest For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2012, 09:52 AM   #185
Thinker

How Do You Identify?:
transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
male

Thanked 4,133 Times in 1,079 Posts
Thinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST Reputation

These two articles give good information. The jail piece says that transgender individuals will be held in the women's jail BUT in a section reserved for transgender individuals (up to 24 people).

With regard to addressing individuals, the department encourages officers to go with how the individual presents him/herself (clothing, language, demeanor) and bans frisking for the sole purpose of determining anatomical sex.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-...stops-searches

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...ansgender.html
Old 04-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #186
Nadeest

How Do You Identify?:
as myself
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

This is excellent news. Now TG people will, hopefully, be a lot more safe, when waiting to see the judge, in LA. I hope that the Los Angeles County Sheriff's department soon starts following this same policy. As it stands, they are safe until they see the judge, after that, all bets are off.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nadeest For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #187
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,903 Times in 1,030 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadeest View Post
Interesting. Thank you for posting this. It sounds like this action was the result of a lawsuit of some kind. Also, it sounds like some judge got PISSED at someone's transphobic actions. In a lot of ways, I hope that this is accurate. As a transwoman, I feel that it is great for us, but how about for the transmales? What do y'all think about this?
I'm skeptical about it. Having the location situated in a women's prison supposedly for the sake of safety in a way seems a bit of a denial of transmale identity. The main issue that puts transguys who are on T or who pass decently at risk in male prisons are basically mandatory "public" strip searches upon entering the prison and before/after court dates. If male prisons started handling strip searches with more sensitivity and especially were more sensitive toward transmale prisoners, they could in many ways at least partially avoid the risk of outing a guy and putting him in a dangerous situation.

Ultimately, I think there should be a choice whether a guy feels safest in a male prison or in a designated trans block in a women's prison.
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #188
~ocean
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme *blows a kiss off my finger tips **
Preferred Pronoun?:
~ hey girl ~
Relationship Status:
~ single & content ~

Thanked 16,121 Times in 4,737 Posts
~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation

that is deff another way to look at the issue
~ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~ocean For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #189
Nadeest

How Do You Identify?:
as myself
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

I can definitely see that, EnderD. Nor can I blame you at all for it. I certainly didn't like staying at a men's shelter, when I didn't have a place to stay, yet I had to, at least until I got some help.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nadeest For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2012, 07:36 AM   #190
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,894 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderD_503 View Post

Ultimately, I think there should be a choice whether a guy feels safest in a male prison or in a designated trans block in a women's prison.
I like the idea of choice for the transmale.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #191
Nadeest

How Do You Identify?:
as myself
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Um, from the few times that I have stayed in jail, I haven't really observed much in the way of choice, for inmates.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nadeest For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #192
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadeest View Post
I can definitely see that, EnderD. Nor can I blame you at all for it. I certainly didn't like staying at a men's shelter, when I didn't have a place to stay, yet I had to, at least until I got some help.
Transguys I know (on T) who stayed in male prisons have basically said it was strip searches that compromised their safety primarily. Having to be paraded naked in front of other inmates who were being brought in or out to court dates. Personally, I'm 100% for the ethical treatment of prisoners and think there's a lot of shit that needs to change, including providing inmates with secluded strip searches if you're going to put people through that to begin with.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #193
Mike
In Loving Memory and Many Thanks

Relationship Status:
connected, emotionally and physically

Thanked 2,456 Times in 416 Posts
Mike Has the BEST ReputationMike Has the BEST ReputationMike Has the BEST ReputationMike Has the BEST ReputationMike Has the BEST ReputationMike Has the BEST ReputationMike Has the BEST ReputationMike Has the BEST ReputationMike Has the BEST ReputationMike Has the BEST ReputationMike Has the BEST Reputation

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/melissa-h...54424#47054424
Old 04-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #194
Nadeest

How Do You Identify?:
as myself
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Thank you for posting this. I hadn't found a way to watch this show, until now; and I wanted to do so, very badly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadeest For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2012, 08:48 AM   #195
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

I've never heard of this show before. Does it air on mainstream daytime television?

If so, I was surprised to see them invite Kate Bornstein, to hear them talk a lot about the trans narrative, and to talk more about trans prisoners and homeless.

I think it was still a bit to disproportionate as far as representation. Yes, they talked about racism, yet the entire panel other than the hostess appeared to be white, middle to upper class trans people. If they wanted to bring more awareness of other narratives and experiences than the typical one (as they said they wanted to), then they should have had a bit more diversity of speakers sharing their experiences. Trans people who have been imprisoned, experienced discrimination etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2012, 08:53 AM   #196
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I've never heard of this show before. Does it air on mainstream daytime television?

If so, I was surprised to see them invite Kate Bornstein, to hear them talk a lot about the trans narrative, and to talk more about trans prisoners and homeless.

I think it was still a bit to disproportionate as far as representation. Yes, they talked about racism, yet the entire panel other than the hostess appeared to be white, middle to upper class trans people. If they wanted to bring more awareness of other narratives and experiences than the typical one (as they said they wanted to), then they should have had a bit more diversity of speakers sharing their experiences. Trans people who have been imprisoned, experienced discrimination etc.

Melissa Harris Perry is on MSNBC on weekend mornings right after UP with Chris. I can see he revisiting this when folks bring the conversation to her.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #197
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

I read it a few days ago, but thought I'd share it with people here as well in case some haven't heard.

Very exciting news for trans people in Ontario:

Quote:
Hi All

We have received breaking news from Susan Gapka of the Trans Lobby Group informing us that the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal may have struck down the surgical pre-requisite for a legal change of gender in Ontario. Susan has just received communication from legal counsel and is reading the decision now. It is expected to be posted on the CanLII website very, very soon. The relayed message is as follows:

BREAKING: There's a report that an Ontario court may just have struck down the surgery requirement for change of legal gender. Waiting to read the decision.

"In a decision released on April 11, 2012, in the XY v. Ontario case, Ontario Human Rights Tribunal found that the Vital Statistic Act's requirement for "transsexual surgery" prior to sex designation change on birth certificates discriminates against trans people. As a result of the decision, Ontario cannot enforce the surgical requirement and was given 180 days to revise the criteria for sex designation change.

The decision is not yet on the Canlii HRTO decision page (http://www.canlii.org/en/on/onhrt/nav/date/2012.html) but it should be soon." — via Caro Lyn

I will circulate the decision as soon as it becomes available.
and then:

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I can share that Chief Commissioner Barbara Hall of the Ontario Human Rights Commission (OHRC) confirmed that the court ruled that surgical pre-requisite is no longer a requirement for legal change of gender in the province, at a meeting I attended with her yesterday morning.
I haven't read the official announcement yet, but it appears this is going to be announced very soon. If that happens, I think it's only a matter of time before changes can be made to federal identification like passports. I think this will be a groundbreaking decision on the part of the province of Ontario!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2012, 09:25 PM   #198
Nadeest

How Do You Identify?:
as myself
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

I hope so. That would be marvelous for people in Canada.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nadeest For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2012, 11:21 PM   #199
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I read it a few days ago, but thought I'd share it with people here as well in case some haven't heard.

Very exciting news for trans people in Ontario:

and then:

I haven't read the official announcement yet, but it appears this is going to be announced very soon. If that happens, I think it's only a matter of time before changes can be made to federal identification like passports. I think this will be a groundbreaking decision on the part of the province of Ontario!
Sweet! That could mean I could get my passport changed along with birth certificate (although I have had surgery). If I don't have to provide any info as to why I want it done that would be even better.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2012, 11:01 PM   #200
TCB

How Do You Identify?:
Male (FTM)
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/His/Sir :)
Relationship Status:
My heart does not give of itself easily

TCB Has the BEST ReputationTCB Has the BEST ReputationTCB Has the BEST ReputationTCB Has the BEST ReputationTCB Has the BEST ReputationTCB Has the BEST ReputationTCB Has the BEST ReputationTCB Has the BEST ReputationTCB Has the BEST ReputationTCB Has the BEST ReputationTCB Has the BEST Reputation

We, Happy Trans is a great resource for the trans community. They recently featured me on their network. Check it out and thanks for your support!

http://wehappytrans.com/uncategorize...h-cris-august/

http://www.facebook.com/crisaugust

http://www.reverbnation.com/cristopheraugust
TCB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TCB For This Useful Post: