Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,164 Times in 2,006 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowchick07 View Post
Also, I have done a lot of reading, but am I correct in that the first step he should take in the actual process would be finding a therapist? Are we on the right track?
Hi Rainbow and Logically. We met at the Winter Ball dance. I live in the East Bay and have been through this process. I have used private insurance and out of pocket for my transition. To my knowledge New Leaf is a decent resource. New Leaf is one of the newer resources in the Bay Area and it is specific to the East Bay. Most of the resources are in the City. A few months back the Pacific Center in Berkeley started a peer support group for Transmen that meets on Wednesday evening.

If you like, send me a pm here with you contact information and we can talk some more. Good luck.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:15 PM   #182
Leigh
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, etc
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 13,026 Times in 4,786 Posts
Leigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST Reputation

I wanted to come in and say hi to all of My fellow trans brothers, not only to see how everyone is doing but also to give a quick update on how things are doing. I came out to My parents and didn't realize that My mom was going through alot, so whatever few days of silence that occured had nothing to do with Me so everything now is all good

I found out from a trans friend here that a place called Klinic, a community health care center, has a trans clinic with a doctor who deals with all trans patients. I called and talked to them, and got an intake appointment with the doctor's assistant in April to see if I can get in to be this guy's patient. His name is Dr. Whetter and if all goes well not only could he become My family doctor but he could also help Me to begin My transition. I'm optimistic about things but once the intake is done (April 16th) then I will see how things go ........ I'll make sure to keep everyone updated when things happen, and what he says
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Leigh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2010, 05:10 PM   #183
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Glad to hear it turned out well in the end, Braedon.

I got a surprise call today. CNN called to talk to me further about my iReport! I called the intern back so we'll see where, if anywhere, it leads but I gotta admit.. kinda exciting.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2010, 03:32 PM   #184
Leigh
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, etc
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 13,026 Times in 4,786 Posts
Leigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST Reputation

I am too Linus
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:32 AM   #185
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Thanked 15,247 Times in 3,064 Posts
Andrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST Reputation

The following article titled Falling in Love with a Transgender Man was posted on O magazine (Oprah):

http://www.oprah.com/relationships/F...nsgender-Man/1

Well written and beautifully expressed.

Andrea

What we think about and thank about, we bring about!

Today I will treat my body with love and respect.
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrea For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2010, 11:30 AM   #186
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Well, I just spoke to the Intern at CNN. Very nice conversation and he said that the story should be up by the end of the week or next week. He'll send me a link when all is said and done. Whee!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2010, 01:45 PM   #187
Logicaly

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
She is the gamer girl to my gamer boy

Thanked 1,744 Times in 513 Posts
Logicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST Reputation

So here is my question. For those of you that where working when you started your transition, how did you handle it? Did you explain to your employer what was going on or just do it and if any questions came up then answer them?

I'm worried about the reaction my employer will have and as well how to handle it with my customers as I have a lot of public interaction since I'm in charge of all sales for the company.
Logicaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:02 PM   #188
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicaly View Post
So here is my question. For those of you that where working when you started your transition, how did you handle it? Did you explain to your employer what was going on or just do it and if any questions came up then answer them?

I'm worried about the reaction my employer will have and as well how to handle it with my customers as I have a lot of public interaction since I'm in charge of all sales for the company.

I face customers regularly (as a technical trainer, I can't really escape that). The first step I took was talk to my direct manager and let them know what was going on. I then went to HR and spoke to them about how to address it with colleagues. Since many of us work out of homes and only meet now and again, I have it slightly easier (I rarely have to share a bathroom with colleagues). Together with HR, I put out an email that detailed how I wanted to be referred to (name and gender) and a FAQ on things to expect during my transition (FTM).

HR left the choice to me if people had questions. I'm pretty open and the only question I really got was how to pronounce my name (Linus can be prounounced as Lie-nus or Lyn-us and since we're IT both were fairly common, depending on whether coming from the US or Europe).

The choice of whether to transition and then address it or address it first depends, IMO, on the company and culture of the company as well as size. I'm lucky in that my company already has gender discrimination written into the corporate policy and it's fairly strictly adhered to. I can send you the FAQ if you want to use it as well as a copy of my letter I sent if it helps you (just PM me your email).

Old 03-29-2010, 02:06 PM   #189
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,664 Times in 3,992 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

tyra's show today is on transgendered children...
Old 03-29-2010, 08:33 PM   #190
Logicaly

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
She is the gamer girl to my gamer boy

Thanked 1,744 Times in 513 Posts
Logicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST Reputation

See, here is the issue im running in to. I work for a very small company, maybe 30 employees max. We have no HR, and the owner does basically what he wants and feels is right, even if it is not. My co-workers, not an issue, some of them already know of my desire and are totally okay with it. My biggest fear at this point for me, is that my boss can find a way to fire me.
Logicaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:38 AM   #191
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Thanked 15,247 Times in 3,064 Posts
Andrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicaly View Post
See, here is the issue im running in to. I work for a very small company, maybe 30 employees max. We have no HR, and the owner does basically what he wants and feels is right, even if it is not. My co-workers, not an issue, some of them already know of my desire and are totally okay with it. My biggest fear at this point for me, is that my boss can find a way to fire me.
A good resource is www.transgenderlawcenter.org. It is free and they are wonderful about responding to questions.

Andrea

What we think about and thank about, we bring about!

Today I will treat my body with love and respect.
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andrea For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2010, 12:48 PM   #192
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

http://transgriot.blogspot.com/2010/...denial-of.html

Now this is interesting. Although the court case is for trans individuals who are in prison, the impact could be something beyond those borders and potentially on a national level (i.e., insurance companies will not be able to put in writing that SRS treatments are not allowed).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2010, 02:05 PM   #193
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Finally was posted: http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/04/14...ex.html?hpt=C1 (see picture #4)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2010, 02:17 PM   #194
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Finally was posted: http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/04/14...ex.html?hpt=C1 (see picture #4)
Way to represent my friend! Right On!
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:25 PM   #195
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,164 Times in 2,006 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Kudos Linus. Thank you. Yes, you are a Human Being.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:29 PM   #196
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Heh.. Thanks. Ya. I wish others saw that (and based on the comments below the story it is obviously missed).

Old 04-14-2010, 02:30 PM   #197
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

Good going Linus. That took a lot.
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:15 PM   #198
The Oopster

How Do You Identify?:
transgender male
Preferred Pronoun?:
he

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,655 Times in 759 Posts
The Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST Reputation

http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/foru...ead.php?t=1184

Hey guys!

I started a top surgery thread! I would appreciate everyone stopping by and giving there 2 cents!

Thanks
The Oopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:59 PM   #199
DamonK

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 7,762 Times in 1,881 Posts
DamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braedon View Post
[COLOR="Navy"]

1) When did you begin feeling like you were different?

2) Did you always know that you should have been born the opposite sex, or did that come abit later though you always knew you were different?

3) When did you decide to come out, and how did you come out?

[COLOR]
I knew I was different when I was 4 and threw a fit because my dad and bro could work outside without a shirt in the middle of a scorching TX summer, but I couldn't run around without a shirt.

I always knew I was different. It wasn't until after I came out that I knew I should have been born a male. That came around the age of 21.

Knowing how my bio family reacted when I came out as gay, I know I will not come out as trans to them. If they find out, so be it. And if they don't like it, so be it. I don't need their approval or acceptance. The way I see it, for ME and ME alone, they gave me life, if them holding on to their "daughter" is the highest act of respect, so to speak, I can pay them, then I will do it until they are no longer here.
DamonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:37 PM   #200
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0428142246.htm

I'd love to get the full research paper to understand it greater but this does sound interesting in some ways.

The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post: