Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 07-11-2010, 10:23 PM   #281
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

The link is right there for you and I sooooooooooooo relate to the eyes thing......laughin....

CA has a bunch of abandoned well heads in our coastal waters and here is a quote below a picture found on the right hand column of the AP article in the Shreveport Times:

In state waters, California has resealed scores of its abandoned wells since the 1980s, but in federal waters, the official policy is out-of-sight, out-of-mind. Neither industry nor government checks for leaks at the more than 27,000 oil and gas wells abandoned in the Gulf of Mexico since the late 1940s. (AP)
I will not assimilate

Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2010, 03:18 AM   #282
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Well, BP has the cap off.... so right now, the oil is gushing at full tilt.

Reports I have seen say BP could have this new cap on by Wednesday and it could actually get the flow down quite a bit. Some reports say to the point of almost stopping it entirely. Dunno.

No, I don't believe BP much at all, but have to say that I do have my fingers and toes crossed and just want this to work! It would mean less oil leaking out by the time the relief wells are drilled and that has to be something positive. Hard to find anything in all of this to be happy about.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:09 PM   #283
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation

BP should pay for all the concerts in the Gulf. Jimmy Buffet's concert last night was huge, and a success. All the proceeds were to help the struggling small business owners there.

The new containment cap is being lowered today. I am not sure if this cap will work or not. I really have very little faith in BP. I still see no reason why Mrs. Obama is going to Panama City. It makes no sense to me, but as being pr for her hubby. *Deep sigh*

I am so sick when I see the animals and nature just destroyed, and men acting like it is just another day at work for them. UGH!
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:25 PM   #284
dreadgeek
Power Femme

How Do You Identify?:
Cinnamon spiced, caramel colored, power-femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to a wonderful horse girl

Thanked 6,848 Times in 1,493 Posts
dreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorninthesofa View Post
Sneaky motherf*uckers! If I was king, BP would be liquidated, it's assets used to restore all the damages, and the people responsible would be publicly executed without a trial, warrent, or judge's signature. If a serial killer can get the chair, so should the folks who murder and destroy on such A MASSIVE SCALE.
So you do not have a problem, at least in principle, with the Bush administration suspending habeus corpus, the 'enemy combatant' designation putting a person beyond either US civil law OR the Geneva conventions, black sites, extraordinary rendition or Guantanamo Bay? Because what you say above--and I understand the anger--sounds like you think precisely this kind of thing should happen to organizations like BP.

Blessedly, we (humanity) have largely given up on the Divine Right of Kings.

Cheers
Aj

"People on the side of The People always ended up disappointed, in any case. They found that The People tended not to be grateful or appreciative or forward-thinking or obedient. The People tended to be small-minded and conservative and not very clever and were even distrustful of cleverness. And so, the children of the revolution were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn’t that you had the wrong kind of government, which was obvious, but that you had the wrong kind of people. As soon as you saw people as things to be measured, they didn’t measure up." (Terry Pratchett)
dreadgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dreadgeek For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2010, 06:10 PM   #285
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Dear Ol Butch Bones
Preferred Pronoun?:
Old G
Relationship Status:
Too old to play.

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

Yes, Aj; If I was a king..heads would be arollin over this! We are talking about millions of lives at stake. We are talking about the future of our planet, the collective destiny of life on Earth! But no.. no one seems to care, not as much as they should. If Bush was still in office America would be CRUCIFYING him. But it's OK for Obama to send troops down there to kick the media out? The Federa government is who insures these oil companies againest disasters of this magnitude and should have had better safeguards and accountability. BP and the industrial military own us, our laws. But what I am more concerned about are the methane hydrates that this drilling released,,which were slowly destroying us anyway, but they may be making it happen sooner.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:50 AM   #286
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

this video is about a month old and shows a crack in the sea bed floor close to the well head:

http://firedoglake.com/2010/06/18/br...floor-of-gulf/
I will not assimilate

Old 07-13-2010, 01:38 PM   #287
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

This isn't over by any stretch of the imagination. The scientists and engineers are going to have to find a solution.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:04 PM   #288
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughy View Post
this video is about a month old and shows a crack in the sea bed floor close to the well head:

http://firedoglake.com/2010/06/18/br...floor-of-gulf/
Yup, and this is exactly why I so agree with Obama doing anything and everything within his power as president to halt drilling right now. Even when unemployment is what it is and the economic recovery is at a snail's pace. Not to mention the mid-term elections are around the corner and the Dems could lose control in one or both houses of Congress.

I do feel badly for lost work and wages for rig employees, but, what is down there (and top-side on every off-shore rig) needs to be looked at.

Actually, the major oil corporations are not fighting this as they know damn well that this disaster could turn their industry as they know it on its head!

As much as I am discusted by BP and other oil giants, it is going to take them to develop sound contingency plans for spills and monitor every freakin' pipe under the Gulf... and all over the world.
Governments do not have that kind of cash.

Our (the US) getting to a point in which we can tell big oil to shove it is many, many, years and alternative feuls development away...
The Following User Says Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2010, 11:02 PM   #289
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

there are two kinds of wells........production wells and drilling wells.......this works the same for land or water based oil rigs.

they bring in a drilling rig and drill the hole in the ground, temporarily cap the well head and that rig is moved from over the well to some other place some where else.......no oil sucking out of the ground...that would be a drilling well. The Deep Horizon is a drilling well......there was no oil being produced from that well. The explosion that started this happened when they were temporarily capping the well so the production rig could come in.

they then bring in a new platform rig, set it above the capped well head...........uncap the well head and start sucking the oil out......that would be the production well. The Deep Horizon was not/is not a production well.

The moratorium Obama wants is ONLY on drilling rigs.....it would not in any way shape or form affect the over 3000 production wells in the Gulf. All the oil that is currently being sucked up will still be sucked up.........nobody is losing their job with a drilling moratorium.
I will not assimilate

Old 07-14-2010, 12:40 AM   #290
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
there are two kinds of wells........production wells and drilling wells.......this works the same for land or water based oil rigs.

they bring in a drilling rig and drill the hole in the ground, temporarily cap the well head and that rig is moved from over the well to some other place some where else.......no oil sucking out of the ground...that would be a drilling well. The Deep Horizon is a drilling well......there was no oil being produced from that well. The explosion that started this happened when they were temporarily capping the well so the production rig could come in.

they then bring in a new platform rig, set it above the capped well head...........uncap the well head and start sucking the oil out......that would be the production well. The Deep Horizon was not/is not a production well.

The moratorium Obama wants is ONLY on drilling rigs.....it would not in any way shape or form affect the over 3000 production wells in the Gulf. All the oil that is currently being sucked up will still be sucked up.........nobody is losing their job with a drilling moratorium.
Ah, Ha! Another piece of info that seems very lost with the GOP and rush! Also, am I correct in believing that many of the laid-off workers (from the wells actually under the moratorium) are getting some work in the clean-up efforts?

But, 'cept... all of the damn wells (and pipelines down under) out there worry me!
Old 07-14-2010, 09:19 AM   #291
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

I kind of really doubt any of those drillers are out of work.....I think it's only about 30-40 wells that are affected and there is always drilling work somewhere. They drill and cap wells all the time.

Who knows who BP is hiring for clean-up......those drillers make big ass bucks and I doubt BP is paying 30 or so bucks an hour to pick up tar balls and sludge............besides those drillers work for Haliburton and several other companies that do this kind of work all over the world.
I will not assimilate

Old 07-14-2010, 09:33 AM   #292
JustBeingMe

How Do You Identify?:
as ME
Relationship Status:
I don't need no stinking status.

Thanked 1,691 Times in 694 Posts
JustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST Reputation

I think BP should put out a huge reward for any NEW COLLEGE Engineers to develop something that will actually work to stop the darn oil from leaking. It's been months now, and nothing has done a darn thing. It's ruining the wildlife and creatures inhabiting the ocean. Hell they need to put all the fishing boats to work to help with the cleanup efforts along the shores too.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:05 AM   #293
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Dear Ol Butch Bones
Preferred Pronoun?:
Old G
Relationship Status:
Too old to play.

Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I kind of really doubt any of those drillers are out of work.....I think it's only about 30-40 wells that are affected and there is always drilling work somewhere. They drill and cap wells all the time.

Who knows who BP is hiring for clean-up......those drillers make big ass bucks and I doubt BP is paying 30 or so bucks an hour to pick up tar balls and sludge............besides those drillers work for Haliburton and several other companies that do this kind of work all over the world.
I can tell you who they're hiring. Fishermen and women and folks who badly need a job. But they are getting sick left and right and BP says it must be food poisoning on the internet. They refuse to offer folks masks and protective gear, and they also make them sign a health waiver so folks can't sue them. In some places a non-disclosure agreement so fplks can't tell anyone what they see.
axisoflogic.com/artman/publis
thinkprogress.org/2010/06/03/bp-contract-media
The Following User Says Thank You to Glenn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2010, 08:21 PM   #294
Oneida

How Do You Identify?:
Free

Oneida Has the BEST ReputationOneida Has the BEST ReputationOneida Has the BEST ReputationOneida Has the BEST ReputationOneida Has the BEST ReputationOneida Has the BEST ReputationOneida Has the BEST ReputationOneida Has the BEST ReputationOneida Has the BEST ReputationOneida Has the BEST ReputationOneida Has the BEST Reputation
Default Some reference materials re: GoM rigs/pipelines

http://www.gomr.mms.gov/homepg/lsesale/visual1.pdf

The above link is a lease/ sale map (pipelines). You can right click and zoom on an area to see the details of the lease blocks. This information is probably not too useful unless you know what you are looking at, except that it shows the areas of lease and how far out, etc.

http://www.offshore-mag.com/etc/medi...%20Map-ADs.pdf

This map is kinda useful as you can zoom in on specific regions. It shows gas pipelines, oil pipelines, oil fields and gas fields as well as identifying rigs. It is insane!
Oneida is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oneida For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2010, 11:33 AM   #295
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

I am amazed at the under-reporting of illnesses that relate to toxins going on! I know that the Gulf 's economy is a mess, but, there is no way I would be that water! Or, eat any fish or seafood from the Gulf (not eating either right now unless I know where it came from). I would be one of the people that canceled my vacation! Hell, I'm concerned about the disaster and clean-up workers! It doesn't look to me that they are given proper protective clothing, etc. Food poisoning, my ass!
Old 07-15-2010, 02:19 PM   #296
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,958 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

BP: No oil leaking into Gulf from busted well

NEW ORLEANS – A tightly fitted cap was successfully keeping oil from gushing into the Gulf of Mexico for the first time in three months, BP said Thursday. The victory — long awaited by weary residents along the coast — is the most significant milestone yet in BP's effort to control one of the worst environmental disasters in U.S. history.

Kent Wells, a BP PLC vice president, said at a news briefing that oil stopped flowing into the water at 2:25 p.m. CDT after engineers gradually dialed down the amount of crude escaping through the last of three valves in the 75-ton cap.

"I am very pleased that there's no oil going into the Gulf of Mexico. In fact, I'm really excited there's no oil going into the Gulf of Mexico," Wells said.

The stoppage came 85 days, 16 hours and 25 minutes after the first report April 20 of an explosion on the Deepwater Horizon oil rig that killed 11 workers and triggered the spill.

Now begins a waiting period to see if the cap can hold the oil without blowing a new leak in the well. Engineers will monitor pressure readings incrementally for up to 48 hours before reopening the cap while they decide what to do.

Though not a permanent fix, the solution has been the only one that has worked to stem the flow of oil since April. BP is drilling two relief wells so it can pump mud and cement into the leaking well in hopes of plugging it for good by mid-August.

BP has struggled to contain the spill and had so far been successful only in reducing the flow, not stopping it. The company removed an old, leaky cap and installed the new one Monday.

Between 93.5 million and 184.3 million have already spilled into the Gulf, according to federal estimates.
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2010, 02:58 PM   #297
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,382 Times in 2,839 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

I hope the cap stays, I keep hearing terrible stuff about how BP has nto wanted to cap the well, since then the oil escaping can be measured. I so hope that is not true and that the cap holds.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:13 PM   #298
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTinkerbelly View Post
BP: No oil leaking into Gulf from busted well

NEW ORLEANS – A tightly fitted cap was successfully keeping oil from gushing into the Gulf of Mexico for the first time in three months, BP said Thursday. The victory — long awaited by weary residents along the coast — is the most significant milestone yet in BP's effort to control one of the worst environmental disasters in U.S. history.

Kent Wells, a BP PLC vice president, said at a news briefing that oil stopped flowing into the water at 2:25 p.m. CDT after engineers gradually dialed down the amount of crude escaping through the last of three valves in the 75-ton cap.

"I am very pleased that there's no oil going into the Gulf of Mexico. In fact, I'm really excited there's no oil going into the Gulf of Mexico," Wells said.

The stoppage came 85 days, 16 hours and 25 minutes after the first report April 20 of an explosion on the Deepwater Horizon oil rig that killed 11 workers and triggered the spill.

Now begins a waiting period to see if the cap can hold the oil without blowing a new leak in the well. Engineers will monitor pressure readings incrementally for up to 48 hours before reopening the cap while they decide what to do.

Though not a permanent fix, the solution has been the only one that has worked to stem the flow of oil since April. BP is drilling two relief wells so it can pump mud and cement into the leaking well in hopes of plugging it for good by mid-August.

BP has struggled to contain the spill and had so far been successful only in reducing the flow, not stopping it. The company removed an old, leaky cap and installed the new one Monday.

Between 93.5 million and 184.3 million have already spilled into the Gulf, according to federal estimates.
Keeping my fingers and toes crossed! The idea that no more oil is going into the Gulf feels really good! Thinking this is monumental in terms of wildlife as well as people.

I know this will continue as just a very horrible disater, but, some hope helps!The clean-up as well as a permanent solution is still on-going, but, maybe this will help withe the long-term effects.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2010, 03:13 PM   #299
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,178 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalipstic View Post
I hope the cap stays, I keep hearing terrible stuff about how BP has nto wanted to cap the well, since then the oil escaping can be measured. I so hope that is not true and that the cap holds.
Good Lord!

This whole thing has made me sick. I know I'm not the first person to say that.....

I SO hope this cap works and they keep drilling those "relief" routes or whatever they're called to capture the oil so that it DOESN'T pop off.

The whole thing is a tragedy on so many different levels....the sea life....the birds....the beaches....tourism and those whose livelihoods depend on the Gulf.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Diva For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2010, 09:22 AM   #300
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Dear Ol Butch Bones
Preferred Pronoun?:
Old G
Relationship Status:
Too old to play.

Six remote control vehicles, monitoring the sub surface, have not detected oil since Friday morning. BP scientist have been conducting a seismic survey of the area surrounding the well to get a more detailed view. The results will be available today. Nola.com/news/gulf-oil-spill

Scientists try to make sense of low well pressure- The Denver Post
A low pressure reading could mean oil is escaping- Business Week