Old 07-15-2010, 06:08 AM   #321
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
A very happy Mr. Grumpy Cat

Thanked 18,941 Times in 4,707 Posts
UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation

Argentina Gay Marriage Law: First Country In Latin America To Approve Same Sex Marriage

MICHAEL WARREN | 07/15/10 07:51 AM | AP

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina — Argentina legalized same-sex marriage Thursday, becoming the first country in Latin America to grant gays and lesbians all the legal rights, responsibilities and protections that marriage brings to heterosexual couples.

After a marathon debate, 33 lawmakers voted in favor, 27 were against it and 3 abstained in Argentina's Senate in a vote that ended after 4 a.m. Since the lower house already approved it, and President Cristina Fernandez is a strong supporter, it now becomes law as soon as it is published in the official bulletin.

The law is sure to bring a wave of marriages by gays and lesbians who have increasingly found Buenos Aires to be more accepting than many other places in the region.

The approval came despite a concerted campaign by the Roman Catholic Church and evangelical groups, which drew 60,000 people to march on Congress and urged parents in churches and schools to work against passage.

Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio said "everyone loses" with gay marriage, and "children need to have the right to be raised and educated by a father and a mother."

Nine gay couples had already married in Argentina after persuading judges that the constitutional mandate of equality supports their marriage rights, but some of these marriages were later declared invalid.

As the debate stretched on for nearly 16 hours, supporters and opponents of held rival vigils through the frigid night outside the Congress building in Buenos Aires.

"Marriage between a man and a woman has existed for centuries, and is essential for the perpetuation of the species," insisted Sen. Juan Perez Alsina, who is usually a loyal supporter of the president but gave a passionate speech against gay marriage.

But Sen. Norma Morandini, another member of the president's party, compared the discrimination closeted gays face to the oppression imposed by Argentina's dictators decades ago.

"What defines us is our humanity, and what runs against humanity is intolerance," she said.

Same-sex civil unions have been legalized in Uruguay, Buenos Aires and some states in Mexico and Brazil. Mexico City has legalized gay marriage. Colombia's Constitutional Court granted same-sex couples inheritance rights and allowed them to add their partners to health insurance plans.

But Argentina now becomes the first country in Latin America to legalize same-sex marriage nationwide, granting gays and lesbians all the same rights and responsibilities that heterosexuals have. These include many more rights than civil unions, including adopting children and inheriting wealth.

Gay rights advocates said Argentina's historic step adds momentum to similar efforts around the world.

"Today's historic vote shows how far Catholic Argentina has come, from dictatorship to true democratic values, and how far the freedom to marry movement has come, as twelve countries on four continents now embrace marriage equality," said Evan Wolfson, who runs the U.S. Freedom to Marry lobby.

He urged U.S. lawmakers to stand up "for the Constitution and all families here in the United States. America should lead, not lag, when it comes to treating everyone equally under the law."

Among the opponents were teacher Eduardo Morales, who said he believes the legislation was concocted by Buenos Aires residents who are out step with the views of the country.

"They want to convert this city into the gay capital of the world," said Morales of San Luis province.

Ines Franck, director of the group Familias Argentinas, said the legislation cuts against centuries of tradition.

Opposing the measure "is not discrimination, because the essence of a family is between two people of opposite sexes," he said. "Any variation goes against the law, and against nature."

The president, currently on a state visit to China, spoke out from there against the Argentine Catholic Church's campaign and the tone she said some religious groups have taken.

"It's very worrisome to hear words like 'God's war' or 'the devil's project,' things that recall the times of the Inquisition," she said.

Some opposition leaders have accused her of promoting the initiative to gain votes in next year's presidential elections, when Fernandez's husband, former President Nestor Kirchner, is expected to run again.

The vote came after Sen. Daniel Filmus urged fellow lawmakers to show the world how much Argentina has matured.

"Society has grown up. We aren't the same as we were before," he said.

___

Associated Press Staff Writers Almudena Calatrava, Debora Rey and Bridget Huber contributed to this report.
UofMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2010, 07:36 AM   #322
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Brief for 9 states backs Arizona immigration law

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100715/...gration_states

"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:48 AM   #323
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:

The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Default Stolen from my school buddy Dickie

No matter how tough or cool you or I think we are, we will never ... and I mean NEVER be "get shot in the jaw and spit the bullet out" cool

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ITS-bullet.htm
l

"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

Old 07-15-2010, 07:55 AM   #324
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:

Exclamation

Voters Say To Hell With Deficit Reduction, Help The Unemployed

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2010, 11:03 AM   #325
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I am disgusted with GOP congressional assbites saying people will not look for work if unemployment insurance is not extended!! Saying they are lazy and extending unemployment benefits will only result in people refusing work?

Some of this is based upon how some people are not taking jobs far from where they live. OK, many people have child care needs (especially in summer months). Child care is expensive and when you add on more hours due to commuting, it gets even more expensive. Plus, travel is not cheap! and wear and tear on cars, etc. So, if one takes a job further away and it is also one that pays less than their prior employment, they have child care and commuting expenses on top of that, they are lazy for not taking that job? Some folks also take care of ill parents and need day care for them, as well. Hell, they could have kids in school and aging, sick parents!! There are a lot of people these days with these kinds of obligations.

Also, do the unemployment/looking for work stats take into account people that have decided to re-train for another kind of work? Many are doing this that have lost jobs in industries that may not come back. Seems like a smart thing to do to me. They are opening up more doors for employment during a very tough time.

This kind of thinking makes me nuts! Congressional members are so out of touch with what the average people are going through!! This, when lack of regulation as well as pure greed (via the top level of people with mega incomes!!) put the economy where it is!!!

Then there is the fact that the US worker supplies the funds within the unemployment insurance system overall!

The deficit is far too high, however, if people don’t have work, it will actually get higher in the long run.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:37 AM   #326
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation
Default These are your Fiscal Conservatives?

RNC failed to report over $7 million in debt.

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/07/21/rnc-report-debt/

Republican_Chairman_C_Star_s640x490Earlier this month, reports leaked suggesting the Republican National Committee had failed to report “hundreds of thousands of dollars” of debt to the FEC. It now appears that the level of debt is much greater than originally estimated and may have been hidden by committee leadership. The Washington Times reports:

In a memo to RNC budget committee members, RNC Treasurer Randy Pullen on Tuesday accused Chairman Michael S. Steele and his chief of staff, Michael Leavitt, of trying to conceal the information from him by ordering staff not to communicate with the treasurer – a charge RNC officials deny.

Mr. Pullen told the members that he had discovered $3.3 million in debt from April and $3.8 million from May, which he said had led him to file erroneous reports with the FEC. He amended the FEC filings Tuesday.

Campaign-finance analysts said that simply misreporting fundraising numbers to the FEC can lead to millions of dollars in fines and that criminal charges can be levied if the actions are suspected to be intentional.

Though RNC aides and officials are strongly denying any wrongdoing or misreporting, the organization has brought on “former [FEC] Chairman Michael E. Toner” as outside counsel, an “unusual and significant move,” according to Heritage Foundation legal pundit Hans A. von Spakovsky. He noted, “The RNC normally uses its own inside counsel to deal with the FEC, but if I had a really serious problem with the FEC, Michael Toner is one of the first guys I would turn to help me out.” It also looks like another serious problem for Steele, who just got done weathering numerous calls for his resignation after suggesting that the U.S. should not be involved in Afghanistan.

–Charlie Eisenhood
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2010, 04:36 PM   #327
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Woman View Post
WTF?? Feed into myths and stereotypes? There have been queers in the military forever! So, they don't have to hide their orientation ny longer aand that will mean they will flirt with straight people?

Seems to me that the problem is with the homophobes believing they are so desirable and having to respect other people's sexuality!!
Old 07-27-2010, 06:38 AM   #328
Zimmeh
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Me
Relationship Status:
I am a human and not a possession

Thanked 13,441 Times in 4,316 Posts
Zimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST Reputation
Default iPhone Jailbreaking

This caught my attention this morning while I was watching the local news. I have an iPhone and I honestly would never do this. The apps that you download, may have a virus and cause the phone to crash, like a computer.

I am not sure how everyone feels about this, but I am not willing to damage my phone to get an app that I cannot get from iTunes.

http://www.wesh.com/technology/24394450/detail.html

Zimmy
Old 07-27-2010, 06:55 AM   #329
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,702 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimmygLrL View Post
This caught my attention this morning while I was watching the local news. I have an iPhone and I honestly would never do this. The apps that you download, may have a virus and cause the phone to crash, like a computer.

I am not sure how everyone feels about this, but I am not willing to damage my phone to get an app that I cannot get from iTunes.

http://www.wesh.com/technology/24394450/detail.html

Zimmy
To my understanding, once you have "jailbreaked" your iphone they will no longer honor the warranty either.
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:37 AM   #330
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

Illegal Immigrant List Making the Rounds in Utah

A list containing the names of 1,300 suspected illegal immigrants has been distributed to politicians and state officials in Utah, unnerving some in the Hispanic community and sparking an investigation to determine where the dossier came from.

Investigators sifted through records at several agencies Wednesday, trying to determine if someone tapped into a database to get the sensitive information appearing on the list, the Associated Press said. Sent by an anonymous group to state officials, politicians and reporters, it includes names, Social Security numbers, workplaces, addresses and phone numbers, along with demands for the deportation of illegals. Even the names of children show up, as well as due dates for pregnant women.

The Utah list surfaced as Arizona prepared to implement later this month a controversial state law authorizing police to check for immigration status after they stop a suspect for any other violation.

In Salt Lake City, a spokeswoman for Gov. Gary Herbert said it would take several days to find the source of the information leak.

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/07...ounds-in-utah/
The Following User Says Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2010, 08:43 AM   #331
Zimmeh
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Me
Relationship Status:

Zimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST Reputation

Good Morning Atlast,

I am going back to college at the end of August and I am going to be a registered nurse. Here in Florida, most companies will not touch me since I have a Bachelor's Degree and 16 years of experience to back this degree. It is frustrating to hear what these ppl who make more money a year than most of their constituents. To me, let them try and live on $960 a month. Hell, why don't they cut their own salaries and save us taxpayers money? If I decide to purchase private health insurance, and pay all of my bills, I will have $190 to live on for the month.

Thank you for your post,

Zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastHome View Post
I am disgusted with GOP congressional assbites saying people will not look for work if unemployment insurance is not extended!! Saying they are lazy and extending unemployment benefits will only result in people refusing work?

Some of this is based upon how some people are not taking jobs far from where they live. OK, many people have child care needs (especially in summer months). Child care is expensive and when you add on more hours due to commuting, it gets even more expensive. Plus, travel is not cheap! and wear and tear on cars, etc. So, if one takes a job further away and it is also one that pays less than their prior employment, they have child care and commuting expenses on top of that, they are lazy for not taking that job? Some folks also take care of ill parents and need day care for them, as well. Hell, they could have kids in school and aging, sick parents!! There are a lot of people these days with these kinds of obligations.

Also, do the unemployment/looking for work stats take into account people that have decided to re-train for another kind of work? Many are doing this that have lost jobs in industries that may not come back. Seems like a smart thing to do to me. They are opening up more doors for employment during a very tough time.

This kind of thinking makes me nuts! Congressional members are so out of touch with what the average people are going through!! This, when lack of regulation as well as pure greed (via the top level of people with mega incomes!!) put the economy where it is!!!

Then there is the fact that the US worker supplies the funds within the unemployment insurance system overall!

The deficit is far too high, however, if people don’t have work, it will actually get higher in the long run.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:44 AM   #332
Zimmeh
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Me
Relationship Status:

Yep and I am not willing to lose a phone that is going to cost me $400 to replace.

Thanks Jess!

Zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
To my understanding, once you have "jailbreaked" your iphone they will no longer honor the warranty either.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:55 PM   #333
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,592 Times in 4,691 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation
Default wikileaks, Afghan War Diaries, Julian Assange, etc.

http://www1.voanews.com/english/news...-99311219.html

endangering lives or useful whistleblowing?

What do we think?
dark_crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:23 PM   #334
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Target Homophobia? CEO Gregg Steinhafel Defends $150K Donation To Anti-Gay Politician, LGBT Community Angered

HuffPo

A campaign contribution to a well-known anti-gay politician in Minnesota has become a rather large public relations nightmare for Target CEO Gregg Steinhafel--and the store now faces boycotts and backlash from the gay community.

Target's Chief Executive Steinhafel said gay employees have been concerned about the money helping state Rep. Tom Emmer, who opposes gay marriage. Target gave $150,000 to MN Forward, a group staffed by former insiders from outgoing Republican Gov. Tim Pawlenty's administration. MN Forward is running TV ads supporting Emmer.

The Associated Press reports that Emmer is a fiery conservative who lauds Arizona's strict approach to illegal immigration, once advocated chemical castration for sex offenders and wants to lower taxes. His profile contrasts with Target's moderate image in Minnesota, where the company is known for donating to public school programs, food pantries and the annual Twin Cities Gay Pride Festival.

Following the money trail, the Minnesota Independent has also linked Emmer to a Minnesota Christian "punk-rock ministry" that supports the killing of gays and lesbians.

Learning that Target would lend financial support to someone like Emmer angered many LGBT shoppers and gay rights supporters. The Human Rights Campaign, which previously gave Target a 100 percent approval rating for their treatment of LGBT employees, issued this statement Monday:

"Target has worked hard to create a fair and equitable workplace for its LGBT employees, and should be proud of its leadership in this area. It is for this reason that HRC is very disappointed in Target's significant monetary contribution to Minnesota Forward, a group supporting the most clearly anti-LGBT candidate for Governor in Minnesota. We have reached out to Target to express our concern over this contribution. While political contributions to support candidates are not a factor in HRC Foundation's Corporate Equality Index, HRC finds it puzzling that Target would take great steps to support LGBT inclusiveness while simultaneously helping a candidate who shamelessly rejects equality for LGBT Minnesotans."

In an email to Target staff, Steinhafel responded to the criticism.

"We rarely endorse all advocated positions of the organizations or candidates we support, and we do not have a political or social agenda," Steinhafel wrote. "As you know, Target has a history of supporting organizations and candidates, on both sides of the aisle, who seek to advance policies aligned with our business objectives, such as job creation and economic growth...Let me be very clear, Target's support of the GLBT community is unwavering, and inclusiveness remains a core value of our company." (Read Steinhafel's full response here.)

Meanwhile, some gay rights advocates are considering a boycott of Target over the ordeal. In Chicago, openly-gay state Rep. Greg Harris, who celebrated a Target opening in his district last week, told ChicagoPride.com he hopes Target will rethink their support of Emmer.

"Companies like Target need to understand that they can't have it both ways when it comes to issues of our basic rights, and that the facts will eventually come out. I hope that they will rethink this contribution and find a way to make it right," Harris said.

A Facebook group dedicated to boycotting Target has also gained momentum.

Money from Target's top executives has gone mainly to Republicans. Former Chief Executive Officer Robert Ulrich, who retired last year, gave $617,000 during his time as Target's leader, most of it to the state GOP. Current Chief Executive Gregg Steinhafel has donated about $25,000, almost exclusively to Republican candidates and causes, including at least $1,000 to Michele Bachmann's "Victory Committee."

Last edited by UofMfan; 07-27-2010 at 03:25 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2010, 03:40 PM   #335
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

I don't like Target, their stuff is cheap, their prices are too high, and now they support hate. Knew there was a reason I didn't like them.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2010, 04:43 PM   #336
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofMfan View Post
Target Homophobia? CEO Gregg Steinhafel Defends $150K Donation To Anti-Gay Politician, LGBT Community Angered

Money from Target's top executives has gone mainly to Republicans. Former Chief Executive Officer Robert Ulrich, who retired last year, gave $617,000 during his time as Target's leader, most of it to the state GOP. Current Chief Executive Gregg Steinhafel has donated about $25,000, almost exclusively to Republican candidates and causes, including at least $1,000 to Michele Bachmann's "Victory Committee."
That's all I need to know.

Thanks U!
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2010, 07:09 PM   #337
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,992 Times in 2,594 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

Link to Target's corporate feedback

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2010, 10:50 PM   #338
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

An accident in the Gulf has resulted in a new oil spill. Anyone have any more details? This is a short blurb I found... one point is that the well head was not lit as required. Hummmm... got new regulatory oversight? Please, please make this be a very small spill that can be stopped immediately.....

Barge Hits Well Near Gulf, Sends Oil, Gas Spewing
Barge hits La. well; oil and gas spew near bay already coping with Gulf spill

The Associated Press
By KEVIN McGILL Associated Press Writer

A barge slammed into an abandoned well in a coastal inlet early Tuesday, sending a shower of water, natural gas and oil spewing about 100 feet into the air.

Oil spews from a wellhead in Barataria Bay on the coast of Louisiana after it was struck by a tugboat, Tuesday, July 27, 2010. A crew capable of capping the well is expected onsite later this afternoon. (AP Photo/Patrick Semansky)
(AP)Emergency officials said about 6,000 feet of containment boom was in place around the site in a lake just north of Barataria Bay, which has already been fouled by oil from the massive BP spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

While there was no estimate of how much oil was spewing Tuesday, officials said the mile-long slick it created was small compared with the Gulf spill.

The Coast Guard said the towboat Pere Ana C was pushing the barge on Mud Lake when it hit the wellhead about 1 a.m. No one was hurt.

The towboat captain told investigators the well was not lit as required, Coast Guard Capt. John Arenstam said.

The Coast Guard hired Wild Well Control Inc. to begin attempts to cap the well later Tuesday. Another contractor is handling cleanup.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:32 PM   #339
MsDemeanor

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme
Relationship Status:
Happily married to MisterMeanor, the man of my dreams

Thanked 1,851 Times in 511 Posts
MsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSoonIsNow View Post
That's all I need to know.

Thanks U!
I didn't even need to know that much. They had me at "Michele Bachmann"
Old 07-28-2010, 10:20 AM   #340
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation
Default Consumer Vents At Target For Right-Wing Donation

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofMfan View Post

HuffPo

A campaign contribution to a well-known anti-gay politician in Minnesota has become a rather large public relations nightmare for Target CEO Gregg Steinhafel--and the store now faces boycotts and backlash from the gay community.

Target's Chief Executive Steinhafel said gay employees have been concerned about the money helping state Rep. Tom Emmer, who opposes gay marriage. Target gave $150,000 to MN Forward, a group staffed by former insiders from outgoing Republican Gov. Tim Pawlenty's administration. MN Forward is running TV ads supporting Emmer.
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:

Tags
breaking news, news