Lynn

How Do You Identify?:
Unabashed Feminine Lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her, She
Relationship Status:
Married!

Thanked 2,416 Times in 504 Posts
Lynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
When I was watching this, it looked like a parody to me. Blows not making contact, exagerated movements. Especially that first bit, it reminded me of playing "Bigfoot" with my son when he was younger, approaching him with my arms up high before swooping in to tickle him (There was also a song that went with this)

Did anyone else feel like this was some kind of (inappropriate) playing that got out of hand? Am I the only seeing that it appears the blows weren't landed, or were softened at the end to light taps? I am NOT saying this is right, but it made me wonder what the context was, I mean especially if people were filming it.

Jaded, and possibly in need of finding her glasses...
The whole thing is awful, but, yes. I had the same impression. I really didn't see terror in the kid's face or really clear signs of him trying to get away or fight back. But, if he has a history of being abused (and the indignation of his mother means nothing in this regard), he could be inured to a situation like that.
that love costs all we are
and will ever be.
Yet it is only love
which sets us free.

Maya Angelou

Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lynn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2010, 11:41 AM   #22
Lynn

How Do You Identify?:
Unabashed Feminine Lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her, She
Relationship Status:
Married!

Thanked 2,416 Times in 504 Posts
Lynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
The whole thing is awful, but, yes. I had the same impression. I really didn't see terror in the kid's face or really clear signs of him trying to get away or fight back. But, if he has a history of being abused (and the indignation of his mother means nothing in this regard), he could be inured to a situation like that.
Alright. Boots.
that love costs all we are
and will ever be.
Yet it is only love
which sets us free.

Maya Angelou

Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lynn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2010, 11:50 AM   #23
dreadgeek
Power Femme

How Do You Identify?:
Cinnamon spiced, caramel colored, power-femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to a wonderful horse girl

Thanked 6,848 Times in 1,493 Posts
dreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
That video was really amazingly difficult for me to watch. I saw things I had not seen since I was a child (what I saw looked very much like the beatings my mother gave me) and the kid looked terrified.

The teachers who were in the classroom should all be fired. The teacher who did the beating should look forward to spending some quality time in prison.

Sweet and sour Jesus, I cannot believe what we are turning into as a society.

"People on the side of The People always ended up disappointed, in any case. They found that The People tended not to be grateful or appreciative or forward-thinking or obedient. The People tended to be small-minded and conservative and not very clever and were even distrustful of cleverness. And so, the children of the revolution were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn’t that you had the wrong kind of government, which was obvious, but that you had the wrong kind of people. As soon as you saw people as things to be measured, they didn’t measure up." (Terry Pratchett)
dreadgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dreadgeek For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2010, 12:08 PM   #24
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

K soooooo...I have a son that age....and that video was really, really hard to watch.

In my opinion, the boy could be a rotten, obnoxious, pain in the rear who was teasing or even hitting another child.....cuz let's face it, we don't know....and the "teacher" was still totally 100% completely out of line. This boy is clearly cowering against the wall. He is not challenging anyone, hitting anyone or hurting anyone. He is cowering. I don't care what he just did....there is no excuse for her behavior. Send him to the principal, sit him in the corner, call his parents, kick him out of school....whatever. But physical violence....no. Period.

This teacher should go to jail. Any other adult in the room should be fired and prosecuted. There is a law in this country requiring that teachers and other responsible adults report child abuse, right? Well....duh....what the hell did they think they were watching?

I'm glad kids have cell phones that can take video.
And that woman better be damn glad that wasn't my kid.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:16 PM   #25
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

Thanked 6,231 Times in 1,462 Posts
always2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputation

I have already posted my thoughts on the video shown in the thread, however, I thought this an opportune time to bring up another subject that has been troubling me. The use of restraints/seclusion and a disciplinary and/or control tactic in our schools. I was made aware of this recently and upon further reading found that it is practiced primarily against developmentally disabled students. As the parent of a child with a disability, I find this beyond disturbing.

I am a nurse, and in order to use restraints on a patient...even if that patient is trying to harm themselves....there are strict guidelines we must follow. We also are monitored by state and federal agencies that require an inordinate amount of paperwork and documentation of behavior to justify said restraints. It boggles my mind that a teacher, or staff member of a school can use restraints at their own discretion...and that there is NO monitoring agency. I am including a link below and would like to know others' thoughts on this.

http://www.eagleforum.org/educate/20...-children.html

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi
always2late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:33 PM   #26
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,179 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

And we wonder how children learn to be bullies......

This so~called 'teacher' should not only be in jail, but she should be banned from ever being in a classroom ever again.

And if that student was harrassing a special~needs child, he should be in detention.

The other 'adults' in the room who didn't STOP this so~called teacher? They should be fired immediately. And any principal who WOULDN'T fire them should be removed from said school.

More than two cents worth, granted, but having been a teacher for 3 decades, this totally disgusts me.

Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:39 PM   #27
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I have a hard time agreeing with the use of restraints or seclusion in our educational system.

Schools should not be using tactics employed by juvenile halls and/or law enforcement.

What does this mean in this economy where there is no room in the budget to implement training or hire properly trained teachers? I don't have an answer to that.

If I had a child that was not able to be in school without being a constant disruption I might crusade to find a school where they did have a place for my child or I might be forced to do home schooling.

We don't have enough resources and with more and more autistic children or children with asbergers the educational system needs to catch up. Fast. I am also VERY concerned that asbergers is being removed from the DSM and what that might mean for young ones...
SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:01 PM   #28
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,179 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Entire schools have been built to school students who cannot behave in a regular classroom setting. Those schools [usually] have specialized counselors who deal with anger management and students who act out to get to the root of the issue.

If there is a student who is habitually disrupting a classroom environment, he/she is taking teacher attention from the other students who are there to learn. Or at least know how to behave and don't feel the need to be disruptive.

I have personally witnessed ~ after the removal of a disruptive student ~ a classroom almost immediately become a calm learning environment for the other students. It is palpable.

Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:01 PM   #29
Rufusboi

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Partnered

Rufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFemme View Post
Why isn't she in jail? What are your thoughts when watching this?

My thoughts when watching this are that the kid probably wore her down and she finally snapped. She should have just walked out and quit and saved herself, but now she will end up in jail. I know this will not be a popular comment but it is what came to mind when I watched. My sister worked as a teacher in public schools for years and has horror stories. Including being punched in the face and knocked out by a student. We very rarely hear about student on teacher violence that includes punching, kicking, rape and verbal abuse.

Both my partner and I work in higher ed and the nastiness, rudeness. bullying and lying that comes from adult students is enough to turn you grey. Adult students name call, threaten, verbally abuse, lie, cheat, and harass over a grade they feel they deserve. The I deserve generation is in full swing right now and they stop at nothing to get what they want.

So yes , my first thought was this kid probably wore her down. I can't imagine how aggressive a 13 year old boy can be. I don't know anything about this woman and I don't know if she has a temper or a history of this so I could be way off. Maybe the kid was an angel and she just went nuts. No, she should not have beat him the way she did. That was wrong. She should have just walked away or quit her job if she could not handle the kids. But there is a part of me that knows what teachers deal with and how easy it is to be worn down by aggressive and belligerent students.

Rufus
Rufusboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:05 PM   #30
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I have heard lots of stuff about student to teacher violence. It is scary.

Teachers should make a hell of a lot more money than they do, and it scares me that they don't.

Still, I don't care how bad this boy was. There. Is. No. Excuse.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2010, 02:53 PM   #31
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

I got the cattle prod u got the van,seriously this socalled teacher should never have a licence to teach anything,she should be arested pronto.
This went on in my jr.high school and high school way back in the 60's,I know cause I was the one geting my ass whiped with a paddle with holes in it,weather I did what I was acused of or not..it was always look for the queer kid and give them hell,u bet they didnt pull any shots shots to make them less painful.When my kids went to the same school and they found out the kids were mine they tryed the same thing with them.The schools had the same office staff and princeaple,it was guilt by association no matter what.The first time my son James came home with bruses on his butt and legs I went to the school the next day with the police to have the whole lot of them arested,there was a hell of a mess in the news about this for months.The partys in volved were mostly fired,licences pulled ect.This went on for years after I left school nobody would buck the system but me,yes I had an ax to grind but did it the leagle way,but I bad wanted to take them out behind the barn and goive them a taste of there on medicin.
One thing more..my mom knew about most of the paddlings and did nothing to stop this cause in her world u didnt question the school or teachers,the priest,any doctor or the law cause they were the ones who were in power no mattre what they did.Im not like that..I question it all.I feel for this poor kid and what is going on.This is 2010 for christ sake,dose anything ever change?
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2010, 03:10 PM   #32
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_G View Post
I am with June. I think there is more to it than what is being said or proven. When that "teacher" grabbed that kid and started dragging him across the floor, it looked to me like he was laughing or at least smiling. I could be wrong.

Not condoning the hitting or kicking of a kid, but I find it odd that so many people stood around, laughing, talking, and taping with their phones. Something seems fishy to me.
It's not. What it IS is a sign of how f'ed up our society has become that both adults and children are so desensitized to violence that a beating was watched by adults in charge and laughed at by students.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:16 PM   #33
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

This is extreme and awful. Of course the teacher should be charged criminally and lose her credential, if she has one. There is no excuse for that. She could have just removed the child who was being laughed at from the situation. That she thought it was OK to lay hands on a child is scary. It's not clear to me why she was coming for him.

Part of the problem is charter schools, IMO. Many are much worse than the public schools they replace. They hire young teachers, work them long hours, use corporate supervisory strategies, and basically dodge oversight. Key problem: A lot of their administrators are not educators. You hear these people saying things no regular educator would think of -- critical remarks about students, blaming them for problem behaviors.

There is a lot wrong with the culture of education, but there is some stuff right with it too. Blaming children for their problems is not a position real educators knee-jerk react to.

There are good ways to deal with serious behavior problems -- children who attack each other, children who bite themselves and bang their heads against the wall. They are positive. They involve teaching substitute behaviors. They work long term. There are padded rooms in some schools. There are teachers and aides educated in restraining kids, but they aren't used a lot. Most behavior management is positive.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2010, 03:22 PM   #34
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

Thanked 1,617 Times in 633 Posts
Cyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST Reputation

WHAT?!
christ I wish I had not watched that.

: ostrich with head in sand:
Cyclopea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:33 PM   #35
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I am also VERY concerned that asbergers is being removed from the DSM and what that might mean for young ones...
My understanding is that this is going to benefit most families. If they qualified for Aspbergers, they will still get an autism spectrum disorder diagnosis. More may qualify for additional services because of that since some states and agencies serve people with the latter diagnosis -- autism spectrum -- but not aspbergers. What little i know, though, is that some agencies rule out people based on functionality regardless of the diagnosis. For example, Regional Centers here in CA. But people are more likely to get services than not as a result of the change.

In general, i am told the objection to the change is more of a cultural one. Many people with Aspbergers like the term and want to retain it, but i have read that it's not that scientifically meaningful. It is not different enough from other spectrum disorders to merit a separate category. Other disorders within the spectrum are as different from one another as Aspbergers is from people with less severe forms of Autism Spectrum Disorder. The change will also affect people with pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified, but there really isn't a backlash there. i think a lot of people with Aspbergers understand themselves in terms of the diagnosis. It's like an ID. It's part of how they have found themselves and found ways of coping. There are support groups and chat rooms etc. They don't want to lose that, which is understandable. That's my sense of the debate based on NYTimes article i read this year .
The Following User Says Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2010, 03:34 PM   #36
Just_G

How Do You Identify?:
Butch, Switch, Comedian...G...whichever.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He....with an e!
Relationship Status:
I'll take kinky & twisted for $200, Alex!!

Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 6,165 Times in 1,450 Posts
Just_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
It's not. What it IS is a sign of how f'ed up our society has become that both adults and children are so desensitized to violence that a beating was watched by adults in charge and laughed at by students.
Yeah, I missed the whole 2nd page of posts due to lack of being able to pay attention today...I deleted my post after I saw the article you posted.

it is a f*cked up society...schools, you name it!!

However, I do not condone beating people in retaliation. Eye for an eye was never one of my favorite things. Just my .02.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:35 PM   #37
tuffboi29

How Do You Identify?:
Queer..in the queer deffinition of the queer meaning of the queer word...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. SuperTuff
Relationship Status:
Things happen...

tuffboi29 Has the BEST Reputationtuffboi29 Has the BEST Reputationtuffboi29 Has the BEST Reputationtuffboi29 Has the BEST Reputationtuffboi29 Has the BEST Reputationtuffboi29 Has the BEST Reputationtuffboi29 Has the BEST Reputationtuffboi29 Has the BEST Reputationtuffboi29 Has the BEST Reputationtuffboi29 Has the BEST Reputationtuffboi29 Has the BEST Reputation
Default Abso-freakin-lutly Outraged!!!

Now from my understanding there are SPECIFIC guidlines to RESTRAIN and DETAIN children in charter schools who have behavioural issues.Now i dont care what that child has done you follow those guidline to a f***** T!!!Abuse of a child is not in ANY case acceptable!!I hope that momma and child gets the justice they deserve and that (hell I cant even call her a woman) gets what she's got coming to her along with the others that stood by and watched.Discusting just doesn't cover or describe what i witnessed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by femmedyke
I saw this clip last night on the news. Suffice to say I did much tossing and turning all night. I was (and am) absolutely horrified by this incident. The teacher acted so vicious and aggressive and that poor darling child looks utterly terrified.

I am so angry that this was even able to happen and furious the authorities haven't locked this heinous person (and those watching) up. I have half a mind to strap on my boots and go and do it myself.

I got some boots myself and would be more than happy to accompany you and SuperFemme.Pick me up on the way would you please?
"Today we would pass through the scenes of our youth like travelers. We are burnt up by hard facts; like tradesmen we understand distinctions, and like butchers, necessities. We are no longer untroubled - we are indifferent. We might exist there; but, should we really live there?"

~Erich Maria Remarque "All Quiet on the Western Front"

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._4605968_n.jpg

Last edited by tuffboi29; 05-13-2010 at 03:36 PM. Reason: mis-spelling
tuffboi29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:37 PM   #38
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
My understanding is that this is going to benefit most families. If they qualified for Aspbergers, they will still get an autism spectrum disorder diagnosis. More may qualify for additional services because of that since some states and agencies serve people with the latter diagnosis -- autism spectrum -- but not aspbergers. What little i know, though, is that some agencies rule out people based on functionality regardless of the diagnosis. For example, Regional Centers here in CA. But people are more likely to get services than not as a result of the change.

In general, i am told the objection to the change is more of a cultural one. Many people with Aspbergers like the term and want to retain it, but i have read that it's not that scientifically meaningful. It is not different enough from other spectrum disorders to merit a separate category. Other disorders within the spectrum are as different from one another as Aspbergers is from people with less severe forms of Autism Spectrum Disorder. The change will also affect people with pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified, but there really isn't a backlash there. i think a lot of people with Aspbergers understand themselves in terms of the diagnosis. It's like an ID. It's part of how they have found themselves and found ways of coping. There are support groups and chat rooms etc. They don't want to lose that, which is understandable. That's my sense of the debate based on NYTimes article i read this year .
See, I learn something new every day. As long as services are not going to be withheld, then great! That is my biggest concern with that issue. Thanks Martina!
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2010, 03:41 PM   #39
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Of course there are guidelines. This is not a case where restaint was called for. i am sure that teacher was not trained in retraint.

Most charter schools, btw, refuse special needs children. Apparently this one doesn't. But they are not known for dealing with special education students well at all.

A lot of them have huge classes, and discipline looks military. I have seen kids packed into small rooms. If I were a student, I would find it really stressful. The days are longer too.

Most of these schools are not as good as public schools. That there test scores about equal and in some cases surpass ours has more to do with the fact that they can CHOOSE the students who attend their school -- and kick out students they don't want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffboi29 View Post
Now from my understanding there are SPECIFIC guidlines to RESTRAIN and DETAIN children in charter schools who have behavioural issues.Now i dont care what that child has done you follow those guidline to a f***** T!!!Abuse of a child is not in ANY case acceptable!!I hope that momma and child gets the justice they deserve and that (hell I cant even call her a woman) gets what she's got coming to her along with the others that stood by and watched.Discusting just doesn't cover or describe what i witnesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by femmedyke
I saw this clip last night on the news. Suffice to say I did much tossing and turning all night. I was (and am) absolutely horrified by this incident. The teacher acted so vicious and aggressive and that poor darling child looks utterly terrified.

I am so angry that this was even able to happen and furious the authorities haven't locked this heinous person (and those watching) up. I have half a mind to strap on my boots and go and do it myself.

I got some boots myself and would be more than happy to accompany you and SuperFemme.Pick me up on the way would you please?
Old 05-13-2010, 04:20 PM   #40
ruthie14

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she

Thanked 1,243 Times in 461 Posts
ruthie14 Has the BEST Reputationruthie14 Has the BEST Reputationruthie14 Has the BEST Reputationruthie14 Has the BEST Reputationruthie14 Has the BEST Reputationruthie14 Has the BEST Reputationruthie14 Has the BEST Reputationruthie14 Has the BEST Reputationruthie14 Has the BEST Reputationruthie14 Has the BEST Reputationruthie14 Has the BEST Reputation
Angry

I have been teaching for about 27 years. While I understand the frustration of working with special children .... the teacher's behavior is inexcusable. Take a walk, take a break, pass the child to someone else to deal with... there is always a better way than violence.

And I agree.... teachers get very little respect, value or compensation... for all the hard work. That is why I am currently looking for something outside of the teaching arena. At 48 years old, I have no savings and I have nothing saved for retirement. It is quite shameful. I teach preschoolers, and it is even worse then the older grades. In the words of my new governor... "preshcool teachers are just high priced babysitters. " really?????
ruthie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ruthie14 For This Useful Post: