Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 5/27/2011
Preferred Pronoun?:
hy ho, hy ho; he, she, it, whatever
Relationship Status:
Going slow ...

Thanked 2,958 Times in 953 Posts
waxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputation

I'm reading Faith and Feminism: A Holy Alliance by Helen LaKelly Hunt.
There's a reason that I read this, that is not a topic for this thread. However, there is an introduction by Gloria Steinem. The usual proclamations of universality, which caused grief for second wave feminist, such as Steinem, continues in bits of this book ~ and that creates some angst for me. Otherwise, it is early on so far in the reading, it is informative and challenging at times.
waxnrope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to waxnrope For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2010, 07:38 PM   #2
afixer

How Do You Identify?:
human
Preferred Pronoun?:
ma'am
Relationship Status:
adrift in my head

Thanked 1,513 Times in 661 Posts
afixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputation

afixer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afixer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
Semantics

How Do You Identify?:
malapropist
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 4,023 Times in 1,209 Posts
Semantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST Reputation

I just finished a book today called In the Woods by Tana French.

It was awful. I trudged my way through it to try and find out the answer to the mystery and, well, I'm just going to stop there because I don't want to ruin it for anyone.

My advice? Don't bother.
Semantics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Semantics For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2010, 07:46 AM   #4
JakeTulane
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Mr. Prickly Porcupine
Preferred Pronoun?:
Butch - Hy, Hym, Hys
Relationship Status:
She has softened My quills

Thanked 5,264 Times in 2,732 Posts
JakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST Reputation

Well, I am now 6 chapters into the 4th Harry Potter book - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I am still truly amazed at how much I am enjoying the read of this series. I had serious doubts.

Oh, and My list is still the same as the earlier post. Just the Harry Potter change-up.

JakeTulane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JakeTulane For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2010, 12:31 AM   #5
Passionaria

How Do You Identify?:
Urban Bohemian : http://youtu.be/IM96Ch9Gx4A

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,249 Posts
Passionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST Reputation

I just started The claiming of Sleeping Beauty by Anne Rice

It's Squirmy good..........
Old 06-19-2010, 11:21 PM   #6
Enchantress

How Do You Identify?:
A complex confection.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Miss

Thanked 3,421 Times in 1,201 Posts
Enchantress Has the BEST ReputationEnchantress Has the BEST ReputationEnchantress Has the BEST ReputationEnchantress Has the BEST ReputationEnchantress Has the BEST ReputationEnchantress Has the BEST ReputationEnchantress Has the BEST ReputationEnchantress Has the BEST ReputationEnchantress Has the BEST ReputationEnchantress Has the BEST ReputationEnchantress Has the BEST Reputation

Eat Pray Love (again)

Elizabeth Gilbert (author)
Enchantress is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enchantress For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2010, 11:31 PM   #7
chefhottie25

How Do You Identify?:
boi
Preferred Pronoun?:
hy
Relationship Status:
happily taken

chefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputation

the yellow heart a collection of poems by pablo neruda...in spanish
chefhottie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chefhottie25 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2010, 12:52 PM   #8
Lady_Wu

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Queer Stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
M'Lady
Relationship Status:
given up looking *sigh*

Lady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST Reputation
Default New books!

I like giving and reading book reviews in this cozy little book club of our on the Planet. My thanks to you who give book reviews! I finally finished Anne River Siddons Off Season and found it to be better than good! I always like her books. They are what I call "women's books": not chicklit, not romances (in the Harlequin sense) but well-written books for women who have lived a bit. They always make me think, and the ending on this one will have me considering its ramifications for a while. Then I moved on to listening to Life Laid Bare:The Survivors in Rwanda Speak. This book presents 14 Tutsi survivors accounts of the 1994 Hutu genocide of the Tutsis in Rwanda. This will be a book that I will have to listen to in small amounts. Aside from being extremely graphic, it presents the survivors thoughts on WHY the genocide happened, how it changed forever their views of life and death, and how they live now. Most so far seem to have found no reason for why it happened and speak disparaging of the views put forth by sociologists. It happened; that is all one can say. I'd love to discuss this book with someone else. May I put it forth as as the first book for our emerging Book Club? Then I found EXACTLY the right book for my life now: Rightsizing Your Life by Cigi Ware. This book is giving me hope that I CAN change my life! That, nomatter that I am ill, I do have resources upon which and whom I can draw! Thank you, Ms. Ware! Happy reading, all!!!
Namaste,
LadyWu
Old 06-21-2010, 01:03 PM   #9
Melissa

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
married

Melissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST Reputation

Just started Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Melissa For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2010, 07:08 AM   #10
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Thanked 7,097 Times in 2,322 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

Orpheus & Eurydice by Gregory Or

(clip)

When Eurydice saw him
huddled in a thick cloak,
she should have known
he was alive,
the way he shivered
beneath its useless folds.

But what she saw
was the usual: a stranger
confused in a new world.
And when she touched him
on the shoulder,
it was nothing
personal, a kindness
he misunderstood.
To guide someone
through the halls of hell
is not the same as love.

(/clip)
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #11
Darth Denkay

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm good with whatever
Relationship Status:
in love and loved

Darth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Water for elephants, by Sara Gruen

My girlfriend loved it! I haven't gotten terribly far into it but so far it's good. Takes place in a traveling circus and seems to revolve around an ill-fated love affair and the human-animal bond (just to clarify, the ill-fated love affair was NOT between a human and an animal
Old 07-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #12
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,592 Times in 4,691 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

i just finished The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and now i am reading...whatever the latest House of Night book is
dark_crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dark_crystal For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2010, 11:04 PM   #13
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,648 Times in 3,986 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

I liked the last book....but I think they best lay it down and start a new project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_crystal View Post
i just finished The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and now i am reading...whatever the latest House of Night book is
The Following User Says Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2010, 08:51 AM   #14
JinxdGirl

How Do You Identify?:
Tomyboy Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
The girl ones, please!
Relationship Status:
Single

JinxdGirl Has the BEST ReputationJinxdGirl Has the BEST ReputationJinxdGirl Has the BEST ReputationJinxdGirl Has the BEST ReputationJinxdGirl Has the BEST ReputationJinxdGirl Has the BEST ReputationJinxdGirl Has the BEST ReputationJinxdGirl Has the BEST ReputationJinxdGirl Has the BEST ReputationJinxdGirl Has the BEST ReputationJinxdGirl Has the BEST Reputation
Default currently reading ..

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Greyhound-Steffan-Piper/dp/0982555091"]Greyhound by Steffan Piper[/ame]

As someone that has spent many a long day on the furthest back seat of a Greyhound traveling to the far reaches of my wandering heart (and logging thousands of miles in the process) the book is a glimpse of life on the bus and the life of a loner and the life of a hurting child seeking home.
JinxdGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JinxdGirl For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2010, 11:23 PM   #15
chefhottie25

How Do You Identify?:
boi
Preferred Pronoun?:
hy
Relationship Status:
happily taken

chefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputation

i am reading a great moroccan cookbook. looking for a little inspiration.
The Following User Says Thank You to chefhottie25 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2010, 03:46 AM   #16
sweet-sinner

How Do You Identify?:
Diva Femme who loves being pampered and cuddled ;)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her Majesty is alright with me ;)
Relationship Status:
Engaged

sweet-sinner has much to be proud ofsweet-sinner has much to be proud ofsweet-sinner has much to be proud ofsweet-sinner has much to be proud ofsweet-sinner has much to be proud ofsweet-sinner has much to be proud ofsweet-sinner has much to be proud ofsweet-sinner has much to be proud of

At present I'm reading John Symonds' "The Beast 666", about Aleister Crowley. It'll took me quite some time to finish it, given 666 is almost the number of the pages too!
The Following User Says Thank You to sweet-sinner For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2010, 04:47 AM   #17
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
GNC, not Trans, REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Thanked 6,635 Times in 2,287 Posts
Greco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST Reputation
Default Three

"The Anthropology of Turquoise" by Ellen Meloy, great read
if you enjoy the SouthWest, and the outdoors.

"brainstorm Harnessing the Power of Productive
Obesessions" by Eric and Ann Maisel, great tool
for creativity

"The Truth Will Set You Free" by Alice Miller,
about effects of physical abuse on children-adults,
and she writes well

"Me gusta andar, pero no sigo el camino pues lo seguro no tiene misterio." Facundo Cabral
Greco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greco For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2010, 06:46 AM   #18
torchiegirl

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Thanked 1,605 Times in 545 Posts
torchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputation

The Heretics Daughter - Kathleen Kent

The White Queen: A Novel - Philippa Gregory
torchiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to torchiegirl For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2010, 07:01 AM   #19
afixer

How Do You Identify?:
human
Preferred Pronoun?:
ma'am
Relationship Status:
adrift in my head

Thanked 1,513 Times in 661 Posts
afixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by greco View Post

"The Truth Will Set You Free" by Alice Miller,
about effects of physical abuse on children-adults,
and she writes well

I've read this book and considering the material it was a good read that offered much insight.
afixer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afixer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2010, 03:24 PM   #20
chefhottie25

How Do You Identify?:
boi
Preferred Pronoun?:
hy
Relationship Status:
happily taken

i am still reading medium rare by chef anthony bourdain. work has been keeping me away from it lately. i look forward to picking it up again tonight.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chefhottie25 For This Useful Post:

Tags
books, reading