PPoA - Southern Gentle Butch

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, he, him, handsome, Daddy
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Thanked 10,845 Times in 2,247 Posts
bkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

A good friend introduced me to Abraham Hicks.....Thank You!

"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand." Randy Pausch.
bkisbutchenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2013, 04:58 AM   #82
JAGG
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
JAGG
Relationship Status:
=)

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,543 Times in 4,141 Posts
JAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST Reputation

A post I just read. Interesting.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:42 AM   #83
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Using it.....
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2013, 05:27 AM   #84
Hollylane
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 26,372 Times in 5,877 Posts
Hollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST Reputation

Color me impressed.

Hollylane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hollylane For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #85
Hollylane
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Hollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST Reputation

Are Quinoa, Chia Seeds, and Other "Superfoods" a Scam?
Sure, trendy ingredients work like magic—for industry's bottom line.

—By Tom Philpott

Some gorgeous red quinoa. blairingmedia/Wikimedia

They're widely vilified—including by me—but food industry marketers really do have a tough job. People can only eat so much, and in industrialized countries where food is plentiful, they don't tend to consume more of it as their incomes grow. Unlike sales of, say, personal computers in the 1990s or tablets in the 2010s, overall US food spending tends to be pretty flat—it rises roughly with the growth of population.

One way the industry responds to this stagnation is to roll out "new and improved" products—an endless grope for bigger pieces of a slow-growing pie. Junk food manufacturers are masters of this game: Smokin' Bacon Ranch Miracle Whip Dipping Sauce, anyone? But the natural-food industry does it, too—with superfoods such as açaí berries, goji berries, quinoa, and chia seeds. These pricey, often exotic ingredients cycle quickly in and out of the foodie spotlight. Açaí berries were barely known outside of Brazil a decade ago, but last year açaí-laced products grossed nearly $200 million in the United States. And while açaí sales have dropped recently as their novelty has worn thin, coconut oil—touted as a wonder fat—is picking up the slack with $62 million in 2012, double the previous year's level.

Some of the super claims are true: Açaí berries, native to the Amazon rainforest, and goji berries, produced mostly in northern China, are indeed loaded with phytochemicals, plant compounds that seem to protect us from heart disease, brain deterioration, and cancer. And quinoa, the seed of a spinachlike plant grown in the Andes, really does offer a complete, high-quality vegetarian protein. Other boasts are, well, less true: Açaí and goji berries are not really miracle cures for everything from obesity to sexual dysfunction. Indeed, in 2006, the Food and Drug Administration reprimanded two different goji product manufacturers for making unsubstantiated health claims in violation of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act.

Nor do all superfoods come from the pristine places that their packaging would suggest. One prominent US goji supplier, Navitas, calls its berries a "Himalayan superfruit," but the company's website reveals they're a product of China, grown in the "lush, fertile valleys of the Ningxia Province." That's nowhere near Tibet—and, it turns out, most of the world's goji berries hail from industrial fields in this region.

Worse than superfoods' origin myths, though, are their effects on the people in their native regions. In 2009, at the height of the açaí berry hype, Bloomberg News reported that the fruit's wholesale price had jumped 60-fold since the early 2000s, pricing the Amazonian villagers who rely on it out of the market. In the Andes, where quinoa has been cultivated since the time of the Incas, price spikes have turned a one-time staple into a luxury, and quinoa monocrops are crowding out the more sustainable traditional methods.

If that doesn't faze you, perhaps this will: Quinoa may deliver a complete protein—all of the amino acids you require—in a compact package, but rice and beans together actually do better. And like goji berries, blueberries and strawberries are packed with phytochemicals. The only problem is that lacking an exotic back story, food marketers can't wring as exorbitant a markup from these staples: The domestic blueberry, for example, is periodically (and justifiably) marketed as a superfood, and in 2012, products featuring blueberries as a primary ingredient saw their sales nearly quadruple. But they only raked in $3.5 million—less than 2 percent of açaí-based product sales.

Yes, the food industry's hawkers have a tough job—and you can make it even tougher. The real superfoods are lurking exactly where marketers don't want you to look: in produce sections, bulk food aisles, and backyard gardens. Not quite as exotic as the Himalayas. But then again, neither are those industrial plots in China where goji berries actually come from.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hollylane For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #86
Hollylane
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Sheep, Goats, Octopuses and Toads have these rectangular shaped pupils. Typically classified as prey, these animals need to have a defense both day and night. But they don't have vertical slits due to their need to survey their surroundings more accurately. The narrower the pupil in relation to the horizon, the greater the accuracy of depth perception is in the peripheral vision of the animal. The perception of depth must be considered with these animals who spend their time evading predators in a rugged terrain.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #87
Hollylane
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Dogs Who Love to Lick Human Feet

By Myrna Milani, BS, DVM

(Originally written for DogWatch, a newsletter for the general public from the Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine)

My dog, Frodo, loves to lick my feet. I think he does it because he likes me but my girlfriend says he does it because my feet smell. Which is it?

No scientific studies of canine foot fetishes exist, but what we know about canine behavior and the human-canine bond suggests that both answers may possess an element of truth. That, in turn, means we must examine both canine and human contributions to this display.

Previously we discussed pheromones, those incredibly powerful chemicals that animals as diverse as ants and wolves use to communicate. Not only do animals pack a tremendous amount of information into these chemicals, only those who possess the proper receptors can receive the message. Many species secrete pheromones from glands in their feet which they use to mark their territories as well as to find their way. When others zero in on such scents, they may lick the object and/or their noses to enhance the processing of this scent data.

Although social animals such as dogs don't depend as much on the foot-form of communication/marking like more solitary species such as cats, two foot-related domestic canine behaviors suggest that feet play or played an important role in the canine behavioral repertoire. First, the fact that many dogs resist others handling their paws indicates that dogs take a protective view toward this part of their anatomy. Admittedly, this might result because dogs depend on their feet for locomotion. However, many dogs who resist having their feet manipulated will readily permit handling of the rest of their legs. This would seem to imply that the feet themselves carry the behavioral charge.

Second, dogs who mark with urine or stool also may scratch the ground with their hind paws. Not only does this provide a visual mark, but the scent from the feet could alter the message communicated. Even though few studies of canine pheromone communication exist, we do know that the pheromones secreted by the cat's facial glands communicate a more positive "This is mine" message compared to the more combative "I'll fight you if I catch you here" notice given in the marking animal's urine. Perhaps dogs who scratch after they mark use this behavior the same way we might use a wink or threatening gesture following a blustery outburst: to soften or strengthen the original meaning of the message.

Turning to the human half of the equation, do humans communicate using pheromones? For a long time scientists and the general public believed that any odors humans emitted resulted from problems—such as disease or a failure to practice good hygiene—rather than constituted part of our normal physiology. Because we viewed "body" odor as wrong, the idea that we might produce odors that we couldn't smell that could affect our behavior struck most as totally unacceptable. Consequently, scientists denied that we produced pheromones and also that we possessed the necessary physical apparatus to detect them. However, recent research indicates that we both produce and can detect such substances, and that these substances can alter our physiology and behavior as dramatically as similar compounds alter that of animals. Alas for dog-lovers, most of the research focuses on pheromones that affect mood or reproductive cycles, with those we emit from our feet receiving little or no attention.

Still, even though science may pay little attention to human chemical footnotes, for sure many dogs do. Moreover, some dogs find the feet of some people more tantalizing, just as some of us find certain human feet smellier than others. Traditionally the conventional wisdom said that dogs chewed shoes because the leather elicited memories of a time in their wild past when they teethed on the hide remnants of their prey. However, sufficient numbers of dogs chew shoes, slippers, and socks with nary a whisper of leather (or any other natural product) about them: Could the scent message imparted to those objects by their owners' feet serve as the more likely canine attractant in those people's absence or in times of canine stress?

Whatever the message owners of foot-loving dogs unknowingly communicate, the blissful look on these animals' faces indicates that the dogs, at least,think it's a good one.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:08 AM   #88
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,797 Times in 3,940 Posts
Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

This probably expanded my heart more than my mind, but I could not decide on any other place more suited to post this...

“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2013, 09:15 PM   #89
SometimesSweet

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, anything nice
Relationship Status:
She is there... in the distance!!

SometimesSweet Has the BEST ReputationSometimesSweet Has the BEST ReputationSometimesSweet Has the BEST ReputationSometimesSweet Has the BEST ReputationSometimesSweet Has the BEST ReputationSometimesSweet Has the BEST ReputationSometimesSweet Has the BEST ReputationSometimesSweet Has the BEST ReputationSometimesSweet Has the BEST ReputationSometimesSweet Has the BEST ReputationSometimesSweet Has the BEST Reputation
Default I so love this...

It is about time a poultry producer took this approach on this scale of production. Thanks for posting this Hollylane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollylane View Post
Color me impressed.

SometimesSweet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SometimesSweet For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2013, 10:43 PM   #90
Lady Pamela

How Do You Identify?:
A Lady..Femme..Free Spirit with a touch of survivalist woman in me.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Spiritual Warrior..She Ra..Baby Doll, or anything close..ha!
Relationship Status:
In perfect love and perfect trust I believe that will be directed..for now Just friends in my life.

1 Highscore

Location: Live in Utah but take trips to Arkansas. Plan to move there eventually.
Thanked 5,939 Times in 1,609 Posts
Lady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST Reputation

Interesting fact:
Monsato is the company that makes Chemo therapy and saps many people for tons of money and health through it.
Interesting fact is that Mansato is destroying all natural methods besides chemo to cure cancer.
They sray poisn on our crop. Using coveralls an masks.
They have already been banned in many other places...When will we learn?

Once again, the mighty dollar is worth more than morals and saving lives...just sad.

When negative thoughts come to mind,
Let them die stillborn.
Speak and do posotive in any situation,
And watch your dreams grow and flurish.
If you can't say anything posotive, Zip it up.
Do not give birth to that which you do not want to see grow.
See it, Believe it, Own it, Have it!
~*~ Lady Pamela ~*~
Lady Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lady Pamela For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #91
Hollylane
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hollylane For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2013, 10:08 AM   #92
Hollylane
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

The Following User Says Thank You to Hollylane For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #93
Hollylane
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Old 08-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #94
Hollylane
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Can city farms feed a hungry world?
Old 08-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #95
Licious

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 1,974 Times in 546 Posts
Licious Has the BEST ReputationLicious Has the BEST ReputationLicious Has the BEST ReputationLicious Has the BEST ReputationLicious Has the BEST ReputationLicious Has the BEST ReputationLicious Has the BEST ReputationLicious Has the BEST ReputationLicious Has the BEST ReputationLicious Has the BEST ReputationLicious Has the BEST Reputation

What a good idea for a thread!

Subscribing.

I am interested in many of the topics listed. Thank you everyone for posting. Information is Power, I believe that... spread the word, get people to think.

This post is regarding Commercial City Farms/Organic Farms near cities...

http://www.fairviewgardens.org/who-w...ission-vision/

Fairview Gardens Farms and Center for Urban Agriculture is near my home, it has been there for decades.

They have their stand next to the library and their property abuts the library parking lot... makes it easy to stop by for the free tours and yummy produce.

Their staff is requested worldwide to assist communities with Urban Agriculture.

I enjoy the free tours there and it's nice to see a viable urban farm that keeps going year after year.

Don’t be satisfied with stories, how things have gone with others. Unfold your own myth.

~Rumi

Licious is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Licious For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2013, 10:43 PM   #96
Hollylane
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Default This is amazing...

Old 08-25-2013, 12:24 AM   #97
NorCalStud

How Do You Identify?:
gaea's Daddy and Fiance
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ours
Relationship Status:
Engaged with gaea:-)

Thanked 1,465 Times in 359 Posts
NorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST ReputationNorCalStud Has the BEST Reputation
Default Expanded Mind

I am 60 in two days. My mind had to expand to grok that!

This is one of the most important things I have learned at this age:

Time allows for perspective to lengthen. It stretches past the myopic thoughts and it lengthins insight.

Okay I am not as judgemental. I am more accepting.

Make Love, Not War.

Che
NorCalStud is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NorCalStud For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2013, 01:45 PM   #98
Hollylane
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Old 09-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #99
Hollylane
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

History of Labor Day

In 1882, Matthew Maguire, a machinist, first proposed the holiday while serving as secretary of the CLU (Central Labor Union) of New York. Others argue that it was first proposed by Peter J. McGuire of the American Federation of Labor in May 1882, after witnessing the annual labour festival held in Toronto, Canada. Oregon was the first state to make it a holiday on February 21, 1887. By the time it became a federal holiday in 1894, thirty states officially celebrated Labor Day.

Following. the deaths of a number of workers at the hands of the U.S. military and U.S. Marshals during the Pullman Strike, the United States Congress unanimously voted to approve rush legislation that made Labor Day a national holiday; President Grover Cleveland signed it into law a mere six days after the end of the strike. The September date originally chosen by the CLU of New York and observed by many of the nation's trade unions for the past several years was selected rather than the more widespread International Workers' Day because Cleveland was concerned that observance of the latter would be associated with the nascent Communist, Syndicalist and Anarchist movements that, though distinct from one another, had rallied to commemorate the Haymarket Affair in International Workers' Day. All U.S. states, the District of Columbia, and the territories have made it a statutory holiday.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:43 AM   #100
Hollylane
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Tags
expanded mind