Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Politics And Law

Old 03-30-2010, 04:27 PM   #81
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP0AY4PNVlg"]YouTube- How Did So Many Republicans End Up Believing Falsehoods About Obama?[/ame]
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:52 PM   #82
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDCAT View Post
... where to plunk these little news nuggets. (And sorry if on another thread already, I've been looking...?)

I was just watching CNN and the uproar about Michael Steele being "in the hot seat", regarding a political gathering PAID for by the RNC that was at a sex club, specializing or well known as a "bondage nightclub", and had strippers during this event, etc...

I have to laugh a bit, at the hypocricy. I wonder what fucking Beck will say about this. Geez, I wonder who in the party they will "blame". (Steele seems like the perfect scapegoat... and he has asked for so much.)
___

Then there is a huge piece to run for several weeks now on CNN regarding Scientology. A former big shot, kicked out of the church is spilling his guts, about the "head" guy (the new RON H. #1 dude) kicking peoples asses and beating the shit out of them, and other staff below him ordered to do so - including the guy "talking" now, etc... (who admits he did this at the orders of the head guy and of course, they are saying only "he was abusive, was let go, and is trying to get back at the church"). This should be very interesting, to see how this develops.

And I wonder what Tom Cruise comes out with in defense on this one!

Happy, happy everyone... (Just me - who STILL DISTAINS ORGANIZED RELIGION and certain political parties!)

SMILE and peace ya'll!

WILDCAT
Watching the CNN presentations this week about the Scientology head and this scandal. I honestly am not that well-versed in Scientology, but, have always wondered why it seems to be the religion of the stars? It appears that the majority of its members are white and rich. Hummm... sound familiar?

It will be interesting to see how Steele handles the bondage club GOP Social event! What amazes me is that these idiots continue to do this kind of stuff with all of the media people out there watching them! Guess, they just can't help themselves....

Overall, I am very tired ofthe garbage that goes on in both major political parties. Here we are in one of the worst financial situations ever and these people are doing nothing but pointing fingers and thinking about re-election and the 2012 presidential election!

HELLO.... this will never change without a complete overhaul of campaign funding, including it being via public funds that are all equal! Look at how much $ is thrown down the political toilets! And how much is exempt for churches based upon very flimsy legislation that runs counter to the Constitution...
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:24 PM   #83
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,702 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

Maybe we need more LGBT churches.. doing more lobbying, oops , I mean outreach. I hear you can become licensed with an on line certificate.
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:25 PM   #84
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

Thanked 1,617 Times in 633 Posts
Cyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST Reputation

http://lookatthisfuckingteabagger.com/
Cyclopea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cyclopea For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2010, 11:36 PM   #85
apretty

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
sea shell
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 4,377 Times in 1,015 Posts
apretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputation

that's a sorry-ass closeted dyke, probably drives a minivan.
apretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:47 PM   #86
apretty

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
sea shell
Relationship Status:
married

apretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputation

why does a gathering of teabaggers look like they were pulled directly from a wal-mart, ditching their piled-high carts of ground beef, hot pockets and high fructose corn syrups?
Old 04-01-2010, 04:41 AM   #87
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,702 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclopea View Post

so, shouldn't we upgrade from toaster ovens to laptops when giving out out pink cards???
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2010, 05:41 AM   #88
Mitmo01

How Do You Identify?:
Disobedient Thing...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Rebel Soul in the blood..Heathen as well
Relationship Status:
Marked and Loved....I Belong to Her....

Thanked 1,354 Times in 579 Posts
Mitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST Reputation

anyone whos interested in this whole scientology expose should check out the Tampa newspaper, they have been doing a special investigation on the church of scientology for about a year. That paper has exposed David Miscaivage who is the leader of that church and the scientologists turned around and have hired independent investigators to invesitgate that paper and the reporters who are exposing thier bullshit...lmfao....
Mitmo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:16 AM   #89
apretty

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
sea shell
Relationship Status:
married

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitmo01 View Post
anyone whos interested in this whole scientology expose should check out the Tampa newspaper, they have been doing a special investigation on the church of scientology for about a year. That paper has exposed David Miscaivage who is the leader of that church and the scientologists turned around and have hired independent investigators to invesitgate that paper and the reporters who are exposing thier bullshit...lmfao....
how's scientology any different from any other religion?
Old 04-01-2010, 08:22 AM   #90
Random

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 5,326 Times in 1,379 Posts
Random Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by apretty View Post
how's scientology any different from any other religion?
It isn't... It's just newer and still has stories to be told..
Old 04-01-2010, 09:19 AM   #91
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
why does a gathering of teabaggers look like they were pulled directly from a wal-mart, ditching their piled-high carts of ground beef, hot pockets and high fructose corn syrups?
OK, do not malign the HOT POCKETS. Or at least not the Lean Pockets!
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:33 AM   #92
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
A very happy Mr. Grumpy Cat

Thanked 18,941 Times in 4,707 Posts
UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Add this to the list, illiteracy!

This is too funny! Please make sure to click on this part "Proceed onward, brave grammarian."

http://blogs.alternet.org/speakeasy/...grammar-fails/
UofMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #93
MsDemeanor

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme
Relationship Status:
Happily married to MisterMeanor, the man of my dreams

Thanked 1,851 Times in 511 Posts
MsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofMfan View Post

This is too funny! Please make sure to click on this part "Proceed onward, brave grammarian."

That's scary. Illiterates demanding that English be the only language in this country.

As for the dyke and her big sign, I'd think that someone familiar with Alan Turing would be just a tad bit brighter. I'm guessing that someone made the sign with a computer and gave it to her as a joke, and she's just too stupid to get it.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:00 PM   #94
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsDemeanor View Post
That's scary. Illiterates demanding that English be the only language in this country.

As for the dyke and her big sign, I'd think that someone familiar with Alan Turing would be just a tad bit brighter. I'm guessing that someone made the sign with a computer and gave it to her as a joke, and she's just too stupid to get it.

I went through the blog and what comes to mind is a question of what happened to the education system here? Why are basic grammar skills (and this seems across all generations based on the pictures) lacking? I think it's sad when a nation cannot debate within itself when the basic mechanism for discussion is lacking as well.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2010, 01:17 PM   #95
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
'Bout sums it up!

Something that is driving me nuts about the tea bag stuff is when I see people from western states in the mix. Fergoddessakes, idiots, other than the original 13 colonies, the rest of the US was NOT coloni!zed by England and was not subject to what the original teabaggers were bringing to bear with taxation without representation! Get a clue!

Sometimes, I want to gather these idiots up, and give them a US history class! Hummm.. but, I guess the literacy deficit would get in the way of any learning occuring there....
Old 04-01-2010, 01:22 PM   #96
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
'Bout sums it up!

Something that is driving me nuts about the tea bag stuff is when I see people from western states in the mix. Fergoddessakes, idiots, other than the original 13 colonies, the rest of the US was NOT colonized by England and was not subject to what the original tea baggers were bringing to bear with taxation without representation! Get a clue!

Sometimes, I want to gather these idiots up, and give them a US history class! Hamm.. but, I guess the literacy deficit would get in the way of any learning occurring there....

The state of the US educational system makes me want to puke!
Old 04-01-2010, 09:19 PM   #97
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
A very happy Mr. Grumpy Cat

Thanked 18,941 Times in 4,707 Posts
UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
I went through the blog and what comes to mind is a question of what happened to the education system here? Why are basic grammar skills (and this seems across all generations based on the pictures) lacking? I think it's sad when a nation cannot debate within itself when the basic mechanism for discussion is lacking as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastHome View Post
'Bout sums it up!

Something that is driving me nuts about the tea bag stuff is when I see people from western states in the mix. Fergoddessakes, idiots, other than the original 13 colonies, the rest of the US was NOT coloni!zed by England and was not subject to what the original teabaggers were bringing to bear with taxation without representation! Get a clue!

Sometimes, I want to gather these idiots up, and give them a US history class! Hummm.. but, I guess the literacy deficit would get in the way of any learning occuring there....
From Wikipedia:

The country has a reading literacy rate at 98% of the population over age 15,[5] while ranking below average in science and mathematics understanding compared to other developed countries.[6] In 2008, there was a 77% graduation rate from high school, below that of most developed countries.[7]

The poor performance has pushed public and private efforts such as the No Child Left Behind Act. In addition, the ratio of college-educated adults entering the workforce to general population (33%) is slightly below the mean of other developed countries (35%)[8] and rate of participation of the labor force in continuing education is high.[9] A 2000s study by Jon Miller of Michigan State University concluded that "A slightly higher proportion of American adults qualify as scientifically literate than European or Japanese adults".[10]

Competitiveness

The national results in international comparisons have often been far below the average of developed countries. In OECD's Programme for International Student Assessment 2003, 15 year olds ranked 24th of 38 in mathematics, 19th of 38 in science, 12th of 38 in reading, and 26th of 38 in problem solving.[97] In the 2006 assessment, the U.S. ranked 35th out of 57 in mathematics and 29th out of 57 in science. Reading scores could not be reported due to printing errors in the instructions of the U.S. test booklets. U.S. scores were far behind those of most other developed nations.

This is why sometimes I find it bothersome to conduct any sort of challenging discussion on here when all I get thrown at me is erroneous information supplied by the US school system. Of course there have been exceptions to this, and for that I am grateful.
UofMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:13 PM   #98
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
From Wikipedia:

The country has a reading literacy rate at 98% of the population over age 15,[5] while ranking below average in science and mathematics understanding compared to other developed countries.[6] In 2008, there was a 77% graduation rate from high school, below that of most developed countries.[7]

The poor performance has pushed public and private efforts such as the No Child Left Behind Act. In addition, the ratio of college-educated adults entering the workforce to general population (33%) is slightly below the mean of other developed countries (35%)[8] and rate of participation of the labor force in continuing education is high.[9] A 2000s study by Jon Miller of Michigan State University concluded that "A slightly higher proportion of American adults qualify as scientifically literate than European or Japanese adults".[10]

Competitiveness

The national results in international comparisons have often been far below the average of developed countries. In OECD's Programme for International Student Assessment 2003, 15 year olds ranked 24th of 38 in mathematics, 19th of 38 in science, 12th of 38 in reading, and 26th of 38 in problem solving.[97] In the 2006 assessment, the U.S. ranked 35th out of 57 in mathematics and 29th out of 57 in science. Reading scores could not be reported due to printing errors in the instructions of the U.S. test booklets. U.S. scores were far behind those of most other developed nations.

This is why sometimes I find it bothersome to conduct any sort of challenging discussion on here when all I get thrown at me is erroneous information supplied by the US school system. Of course there have been exceptions to this, and for that I am grateful.
Public school systems are politically driven.... it is how they get monies! Or, not... Today, our public schools are test-mills.

I was talking to a friend the other night that has taught elementary school for many years. She taught during a time when although, teaching required much work and dedication for really not a lot of pay, but a teacher remained dedicated because they did see the fruits of their efforts and were respected. This was prior to school administration credentials were developed in which a person never setting foot in a classroom can become a public school's top ruling administrator. People in these positions used to have years of classroom experience prior to becoming an administrator. It was a requirement! I honestly believe that this is part of the decline in US education. It created a mid-management and higher management model in education with those in charge of budgets and policies to be someone that has only a business background and that cannot relate well with classroom teachers. And the studies done about our educational systems are formed within this schema…. Based upon political considerations

Last edited by AtLast; 04-04-2010 at 07:25 PM. Reason: stuff
Old 04-07-2010, 10:42 AM   #99
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,163 Times in 2,006 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation
Default States Rights, Racism, Dark Ages, Enlightnment?

In another thread I said I am beginning to believe that the concept of "States Rights" is now being used as a code word which is rooted in racism. IMO, this is one of the most contentious yet thought provoking times in the history of the USA.

This nation on a daily basis is questioning the status quo. History is being rewritten with a slant that leans toward the agenda, beliefs of the writer. (Those rewriting American History are not "historians" in the strictest sense. Aj wrote something somewhere about the different types of historians. Need your help here Aj.)

This article is an example of the ever changing slant on American History. I tried to read this Virginia Proclamation with an open mind. However, after not seeing one word about slavery mentioned, I could not.

Here is the thing, when I look back and read many of the writings in support of succession, States Rights, it is always tethered to slavery via inherent God given superiority or for economic survival, growth and future prosperity.

I tend to post often. Most of you know my thoughts on various topics. I would like to encourage more of the quiet ones to take a chance and participate here in discussion. Most of the time many of us do not agree and that could be a very stimulating, growth inducing experience for many.

McDonnell's Confederate History Month proclamation irks civil rights leaders
By Anita Kumar and Rosalind S. Helderman
Washington Post Staff Writers
Wednesday, April 7, 2010; A01

RICHMOND -- Gov. Robert F. McDonnell, reviving a controversy that had been dormant for eight years, has declared that April will be Confederate History Month in Virginia, a move that angered civil rights leaders Tuesday but that political observers said would strengthen his position with his conservative base.

The two previous Democratic governors had refused to issue the mostly symbolic proclamation honoring the soldiers who fought for the South in the Civil War. McDonnell (R) revived a practice started by Republican governor George Allen in 1997. McDonnell left out anti-slavery language that Allen's successor, James S. Gilmore III (R), had included in his proclamation.

McDonnell said Tuesday that the move was designed to promote tourism in the state, which next year will mark the 150th anniversary of the start of the war. McDonnell said he did not include a reference to slavery because "there were any number of aspects to that conflict between the states. Obviously, it involved slavery. It involved other issues. But I focused on the ones I thought were most significant for Virginia."

The proclamation was condemned by the Virginia Legislative Black Caucus and the NAACP. Former governor L. Douglas Wilder called it "mind-boggling to say the least" that McDonnell did not reference slavery or Virginia's struggle with civil rights in his proclamation. Though a Democrat, Wilder has been supportive of McDonnell and boosted his election efforts when he declined to endorse the Republican's opponent, R. Creigh Deeds.

"Confederate history is full of many things that unfortunately are not put forth in a proclamation of this kind nor are they things that anyone wants to celebrate," he said. "It's one thing to sound a cause of rallying a base. But it's quite another to distort history."

The seven-paragraph declaration calls for Virginians to "understand the sacrifices of the Confederate leaders, soldiers and citizens during the period of the Civil War."

McDonnell had quietly made the proclamation Friday by placing it on his Web site, but it did not attract attention in the state capital until Tuesday. April also honors child abuse prevention, organ donations, financial literacy and crime victims.

After a fall campaign spent focusing almost exclusively on jobs and the economy, McDonnell had been seen in recent weeks as largely ceding conservative ground to the state's activist attorney general, Ken Cuccinelli II. The proclamation could change that view among Republicans who believe appropriate respect for the state's Confederate past has been erased by an over-allegiance to political correctness, observers said.

"It helps him with his base," said Mark Rozell, a political scientist at George Mason University. "These are people who support state's rights and oppose federal intrusion."

Said Patrick M. McSweeney, a former state GOP chairman: "I applaud McDonnell for doing it. I think it takes a certain amount of courage."

The Virginia NAACP and the state's Legislative Black Caucus called the proclamation an insult to a large segment of the state's population, particularly because it never acknowledges slavery.

"Governor McDonnell's proclamation was offensive and offered a disturbing revision of the Civil War and the brutal era that followed," said Del. Kenneth Cooper Alexander (D-Norfolk), chairman of the Legislative Black Caucus. "Virginia has worked hard to move beyond the very things for which Governor McDonnell seems nostalgic."

King Salim Khalfani, executive director of the Virginia State Conference of the NAACP, said his group will hold an emergency meeting Saturday to discuss a series of problems it has had with McDonnell since he was sworn into office in January.

Virginia has had a long, complicated history on racial relations -- long before Richmond served as the capital of the Confederacy during the Civil War. Many of its most prominent early residents, including future presidents, owned slaves, and the state openly fought desegregation, even closing schools instead of integrating them. But in 1989, the state made Wilder the first African American governor in the nation since Reconstruction.

McDonnell said Tuesday that people's thinking about civil rights and the role of the Confederacy in Virginia history have advanced to the point where "people can talk about and discuss and . . . begin to understand the history a little better."

"I felt just as I've issued dozens and dozens of other commemorations, that it was something that was worthy of doing so people can at least study and understand that period of Virginia history and how it impacts us today," he said.

The state's new governor campaigned relentlessly on improving the economy and creating jobs and received the strong backing of the business community. But the attention that Virginia will receive from the proclamation might take away from that focus.

Rozell said the proclamation is a "distraction" from McDonnell's desire to attract companies to Virginia. Businesses might begin to perceive McDonnell's latest decision -- combined with Cuccinelli's decision to sue the federal government over health-care reform legislation and his advice to state colleges and universities that they remove sexual-orientation language from their anti-discrimination policies -- as a pattern of behavior not conducive to relocating in the state.

Allen caused a national uproar when he signed a proclamation drafted by the Sons of Confederate Veterans. It called the Civil War "a four-year struggle for [Southern] independence and sovereign rights" and made no mention of slavery.

Gilmore modified the decree in 1998 by adding a condemnation of slavery, but it failed to satisfy either defenders of Confederate heritage or civil rights leaders. He later changed the proclamation by dropping references to Confederate History Month and instead designated April as "Virginia's Month for Remembrance of the Sacrifices and Honor of All Virginians Who Served in the Civil War."

But in 2002, Mark Warner, Gilmore's successor, broke with their actions, calling such proclamations a "lightning rod" that did not help bridge divisions between whites and blacks in Virginia. Four years later, Timothy M. Kaine was asked but did not issue a proclamation.

This year's proclamation was requested by the Sons of Confederate Veterans. A representative of the group said it has known since it interviewed McDonnell when he was running for attorney general in 2005 that he was likely to respond differently than Warner or Kaine.

"We've known for quite some time we had a good opportunity should he ascend the governorship," said Brandon Dorsey of the Sons of Confederate Veterans.

Sen. Emmett W. Hanger Jr. (R-Augusta), who has spoken from the floor of the General Assembly about honoring Virginia's Confederate past with appropriate acknowledgments to its difficult racial past, said he believed Warner and Kaine "avoided" the issue by failing to issue similar documents.

"It would be totally inappropriate to do one that would just poke a stick to stir up old wounds. But it is appropriate to recognize the historical significance of Virginia in that era," he said. "I think it's appropriate as long as it's not fiery."

McDonnell's proclamation comes just before the April 17, 1861, anniversary of the day Virginia seceded from the union.

http://www.governor.virginia.gov/OurCommonwealth/Proclamations/2010/ConfederateHistoryMonth.cfm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2010/04/06/ST2010040604979.html?sid=ST2010040604979
The Following User Says Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2010, 11:58 AM   #100
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyson View Post
In another thread I said I am beginning to believe that the concept of "States Rights" is now being used as a code word which is rooted in racism. IMO, this is one of the most contentious yet thought provoking times in the history of the USA.

This nation on a daily basis is questioning the status quo. History is being rewritten with a slant that leans toward the agenda, beliefs of the writer. (Those rewriting American History are not "historians" in the strictest sense. Aj wrote something somewhere about the different types of historians. Need your help here Aj.)

This article is an example of the ever changing slant on American History. I tried to read this Virginia Proclamation with an open mind. However, after not seeing one word about slavery mentioned, I could not.

Here is the thing, when I look back and read many of the writings in support of succession, States Rights, it is always tethered to slavery via inherent God given superiority or for economic survival, growth and future prosperity.

I tend to post often. Most of you know my thoughts on various topics. I would like to encourage more of the quiet ones to take a chance and participate here in discussion. Most of the time many of us do not agree and that could be a very stimulating, growth inducing experience for many.

McDonnell's Confederate History Month proclamation irks civil rights leaders
By Anita Kumar and Rosalind S. Helderman
Washington Post Staff Writers
Wednesday, April 7, 2010; A01

RICHMOND -- Gov. Robert F. McDonnell, reviving a controversy that had been dormant for eight years, has declared that April will be Confederate History Month in Virginia, a move that angered civil rights leaders Tuesday but that political observers said would strengthen his position with his conservative base.

The two previous Democratic governors had refused to issue the mostly symbolic proclamation honoring the soldiers who fought for the South in the Civil War. McDonnell (R) revived a practice started by Republican governor George Allen in 1997. McDonnell left out anti-slavery language that Allen's successor, James S. Gilmore III (R), had included in his proclamation.

McDonnell said Tuesday that the move was designed to promote tourism in the state, which next year will mark the 150th anniversary of the start of the war. McDonnell said he did not include a reference to slavery because "there were any number of aspects to that conflict between the states. Obviously, it involved slavery. It involved other issues. But I focused on the ones I thought were most significant for Virginia."

The proclamation was condemned by the Virginia Legislative Black Caucus and the NAACP. Former governor L. Douglas Wilder called it "mind-boggling to say the least" that McDonnell did not reference slavery or Virginia's struggle with civil rights in his proclamation. Though a Democrat, Wilder has been supportive of McDonnell and boosted his election efforts when he declined to endorse the Republican's opponent, R. Creigh Deeds.

"Confederate history is full of many things that unfortunately are not put forth in a proclamation of this kind nor are they things that anyone wants to celebrate," he said. "It's one thing to sound a cause of rallying a base. But it's quite another to distort history."

The seven-paragraph declaration calls for Virginians to "understand the sacrifices of the Confederate leaders, soldiers and citizens during the period of the Civil War."

McDonnell had quietly made the proclamation Friday by placing it on his Web site, but it did not attract attention in the state capital until Tuesday. April also honors child abuse prevention, organ donations, financial literacy and crime victims.

After a fall campaign spent focusing almost exclusively on jobs and the economy, McDonnell had been seen in recent weeks as largely ceding conservative ground to the state's activist attorney general, Ken Cuccinelli II. The proclamation could change that view among Republicans who believe appropriate respect for the state's Confederate past has been erased by an over-allegiance to political correctness, observers said.

"It helps him with his base," said Mark Rozell, a political scientist at George Mason University. "These are people who support state's rights and oppose federal intrusion."

Said Patrick M. McSweeney, a former state GOP chairman: "I applaud McDonnell for doing it. I think it takes a certain amount of courage."

The Virginia NAACP and the state's Legislative Black Caucus called the proclamation an insult to a large segment of the state's population, particularly because it never acknowledges slavery.

"Governor McDonnell's proclamation was offensive and offered a disturbing revision of the Civil War and the brutal era that followed," said Del. Kenneth Cooper Alexander (D-Norfolk), chairman of the Legislative Black Caucus. "Virginia has worked hard to move beyond the very things for which Governor McDonnell seems nostalgic."

King Salim Khalfani, executive director of the Virginia State Conference of the NAACP, said his group will hold an emergency meeting Saturday to discuss a series of problems it has had with McDonnell since he was sworn into office in January.

Virginia has had a long, complicated history on racial relations -- long before Richmond served as the capital of the Confederacy during the Civil War. Many of its most prominent early residents, including future presidents, owned slaves, and the state openly fought desegregation, even closing schools instead of integrating them. But in 1989, the state made Wilder the first African American governor in the nation since Reconstruction.

McDonnell said Tuesday that people's thinking about civil rights and the role of the Confederacy in Virginia history have advanced to the point where "people can talk about and discuss and . . . begin to understand the history a little better."

"I felt just as I've issued dozens and dozens of other commemorations, that it was something that was worthy of doing so people can at least study and understand that period of Virginia history and how it impacts us today," he said.

The state's new governor campaigned relentlessly on improving the economy and creating jobs and received the strong backing of the business community. But the attention that Virginia will receive from the proclamation might take away from that focus.

Rozell said the proclamation is a "distraction" from McDonnell's desire to attract companies to Virginia. Businesses might begin to perceive McDonnell's latest decision -- combined with Cuccinelli's decision to sue the federal government over health-care reform legislation and his advice to state colleges and universities that they remove sexual-orientation language from their anti-discrimination policies -- as a pattern of behavior not conducive to relocating in the state.

Allen caused a national uproar when he signed a proclamation drafted by the Sons of Confederate Veterans. It called the Civil War "a four-year struggle for [Southern] independence and sovereign rights" and made no mention of slavery.

Gilmore modified the decree in 1998 by adding a condemnation of slavery, but it failed to satisfy either defenders of Confederate heritage or civil rights leaders. He later changed the proclamation by dropping references to Confederate History Month and instead designated April as "Virginia's Month for Remembrance of the Sacrifices and Honor of All Virginians Who Served in the Civil War."

But in 2002, Mark Warner, Gilmore's successor, broke with their actions, calling such proclamations a "lightning rod" that did not help bridge divisions between whites and blacks in Virginia. Four years later, Timothy M. Kaine was asked but did not issue a proclamation.

This year's proclamation was requested by the Sons of Confederate Veterans. A representative of the group said it has known since it interviewed McDonnell when he was running for attorney general in 2005 that he was likely to respond differently than Warner or Kaine.

"We've known for quite some time we had a good opportunity should he ascend the governorship," said Brandon Dorsey of the Sons of Confederate Veterans.

Sen. Emmett W. Hanger Jr. (R-Augusta), who has spoken from the floor of the General Assembly about honoring Virginia's Confederate past with appropriate acknowledgments to its difficult racial past, said he believed Warner and Kaine "avoided" the issue by failing to issue similar documents.

"It would be totally inappropriate to do one that would just poke a stick to stir up old wounds. But it is appropriate to recognize the historical significance of Virginia in that era," he said. "I think it's appropriate as long as it's not fiery."

McDonnell's proclamation comes just before the April 17, 1861, anniversary of the day Virginia seceded from the union.

http://www.governor.virginia.gov/OurCommonwealth/Proclamations/2010/ConfederateHistoryMonth.cfm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2010/04/06/ST2010040604979.html?sid=ST2010040604979

What comes up for me here, is that one could take this mind-set to many other areas of the US. California's history concerning Native-American, Mexican-American and Chinese labor/slavery for example is not accurately represented in our educational system. The CA Missions history for example, leaves out the fact that there are thousands of these slaves buried in mass graves at several CA Missions that were, in effect slaughtered! One can find traces of this very thing around the John Bidwell background in northern CA, if one wants to find it. That's the problem.... shedding the denial and demanding history be taught with the inclusion of what brings us shame as well as pride. To me, this is at the core of why we are unable to actually de-construct structural racism in the US.

This article makes me angry at many levels. However, I find the belief that slavery is only part of the south (and that black slavery is the only form of slavery we participated in) and that its economic underpinnings only favored the south to be one of the most damaging lies in our history.

Guess I feel that the south is not the only region in the US that needs to clean up its historical forgetfulness.

Black slavery would have permeated this country with its ugliness and economic justifications if the ships landed off the coasts of the Pacific Ocean with some other types of cash crops or New World riches as Old World colonization and the ensuing perpetuation of manifest destiny, I believe.

I am in no way trying to detract from the spirit and intent of this article, I just think we have to take a much broader look at ourselves.

Last edited by AtLast; 04-07-2010 at 12:03 PM. Reason: addition goofs
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post: