Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 09-07-2011, 09:15 PM   #101
Sassy

How Do You Identify?:
Female
Relationship Status:
Together

Thanked 1,928 Times in 460 Posts
Sassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
Pig ears.
-------
I tried those once, too. *wrinkles her freckled nose* They also stink.

OK, maybe things that get chewed on naturally stink? *laughs*

Hmmm. OK, I'll try a pig ear one more time and see how that goes.

Thanks
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sassy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2011, 09:21 PM   #102
Starbuck

How Do You Identify?:
Soft Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 2,148 Times in 756 Posts
Starbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST Reputation

There are pig ears that don't have any flavoring or coloring added to them so they shouldn't stink, maybe your pooch will like those?
The Following User Says Thank You to Starbuck For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2011, 09:50 PM   #103
Sassy

How Do You Identify?:
Female
Relationship Status:
Together

Sassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST Reputation

Hmmmm... OK, I'll look for that kind next time I'm shopping. It is possible that the ones I bought before were flavored or something. I do remember I only let her chew them on her pet bed because they seemed to want to stain fabric. Thanks!
Old 09-07-2011, 10:48 PM   #104
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

I have a fur kid thats alergic to heart worm pills of any kind,she gets so sick she pukes then has the runns all day.I cant use any kind of bug drops on her cause she acts like its burning her so all I am doing is bounce dryer pads,they worked on my horses face so I tryed them on her.I keep her tested so far she has tested clean.I keep her wormed with pills from the vet,she has no prob with her shots,just the bug drops and heart worm pills.My yard is sprayed for everything under the sun so no probs there.Any ideas folks?
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:34 PM   #105
Sassy

How Do You Identify?:
Female
Relationship Status:
Together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinonahigh View Post
I have a fur kid thats alergic to heart worm pills of any kind,she gets so sick she pukes then has the runns all day.I cant use any kind of bug drops on her cause she acts like its burning her so all I am doing is bounce dryer pads,they worked on my horses face so I tryed them on her.I keep her tested so far she has tested clean.I keep her wormed with pills from the vet,she has no prob with her shots,just the bug drops and heart worm pills.My yard is sprayed for everything under the sun so no probs there.Any ideas folks?
I've never heard of using bounce dryer pads to keep pests off pets. And it works? Sounds Cool. I'll research. I bet they smell nice that way too. *giggles*
My dog takes interceptor to prevent heart worms. For my little dog it costs about $65 every 6 months. It's the only thing I've found that doesn't make her nauseous. Once, I tried some heartworm prevention pills that also included flea control and those were a very bad idea. I had a very sick dog for over a month.
I read somewhere that teatree oil repels fleas and ticks -- put it on a handkerchief and tie it around the hound's neck when they're outside. But only for really big dogs. You can't use it on little dogs -- something about their metabolism and size, the teatree oil screws with their nervous system. So, since my dog is a mini, I haven't tested that idea.
Our yard is treated. But with every other neighbor's cat thinking the back deck is a great bird-watching spot, it's impossible to really control the occasional outbreak of fleas.
I've looked for alternative flea and tick repellent for my li'l dog -- with no success. (See above mention of teatree oil.) So, right now I use the drops.
Tia, my dog, has a lot of scratching/chewing issues related to stress. She develops skin infections easily. And she doesn't not approve of flea spray on her pet bedding or drops on her fur. She and I negotiated and what I decided on, was instead of giving her a full dose once a month. I put about half the drops on every 2 weeks. This way she gets regular baths (weekly to every 2 weeks, depending on how soon she walks into the bathroom and demands a bath. Or whether she's found something stinky to roll in outside. LOL.) and I don't feel like I'm wasting money on medicine that gets washed off. She has pet beds in each room and I put old sheets on them for her to nest in. Each week the pet beds get sprayed and she gets clean sheets. Fleas don't have anywhere to breed but she doesn't have to lay directly on the chemical stinky stuff. Which she won't. She'll protest loudly first. Ever hear a hound dog cuss? I should video that sometime. I'd get a lot of hits on YouTube. *laughs*

Old 09-08-2011, 04:49 PM   #106
Guy

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,574 Times in 889 Posts
Guy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
Hey fellow pet parents,

I wandered over into this thread to ask if anyone had any suggestions for a replacement for rawhide chews?

My 9-year-old mini doxie loves-loves-LOVES her rawhide chews. She gets a small one in the mornings while I have my coffee. And a second one sometimes if she's having a stressful day. (Usually lawn-service day -- *grrr/gnaw/grrr* "We hatesssezzz the lawn man we does, yes we does." *grrrr*)

But lately, I've noticed she doesn't necessarily act like she feels so good after she's had her treat. She does better if I keep the chews small -- she's a glutton and will devour whatever I put in front of her until it is gone gone gone. And I've tried a few different brands but I'm not terribly satisfied with any particular one yet.

She's so small she fattens up easily. So filled rawhide treats are a no-no. We use carrots for treats throughout the day. And she's got some food allergies so she's on a raw food (lamb) diet.

She's a hardcore chewer. It's got to be something tough enough to keep her interested for a while. I tried to get her to chew a nyla bone but she's adamant she doesn't like them. And I tried natural hooves once but *gag* those stank. I won't bring another one back in the house. But if the item is too hard she loses interest -- I tried antlers boiled in broth (the pet store salesman swore they were a big seller) and she wouldn't even take a second glance.

So, any suggestions?
I give my kids the waggin train big blast. Its a baked pork skin twist with chicken liver center, without the mess. I pick them up at walmart, but have seen them at target.

They love' em
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:15 PM   #107
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,892 Times in 5,770 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up

Quote:
I tried those once, too. *wrinkles her freckled nose* They also stink.

OK, maybe things that get chewed on naturally stink? *laughs*

Hmmm. OK, I'll try a pig ear one more time and see how that goes.

Thanks
But maybe only once a week, not every day? (you say she is small...they are larger).

Get the natural ones. Those shouldn't smell.

Give your dog those small carrots if you want to give her something every day.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:16 PM   #108
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Hmmmm... OK, I'll look for that kind next time I'm shopping. It is possible that the ones I bought before were flavored or something. I do remember I only let her chew them on her pet bed because they seemed to want to stain fabric. Thanks!
Natural ones won't stain. Should be able to find them in a pet store. My store sells them in paperbags by the baker's dozen!

The Following User Says Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #109
Sassy

How Do You Identify?:
Female
Relationship Status:
Together

I have a huge (HUGE) serrated knife in the kitchen for cutting up rawhide chewy things. So we're definitely practicing portion control.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sassy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2011, 06:27 PM   #110
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thumbs up

Quote:
I have a huge (HUGE) serrated knife in the kitchen for cutting up rawhide chewy things. So we're definitely practicing portion control.
Good to hear!

I read recently that over 50% of dogs are overweight. People just don't think about how that can effect their pets health or mobility. My dog is definitely lighter on his feet when slim and trim. Makes him happy.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #111
Sassy

How Do You Identify?:
Female
Relationship Status:
Together

My Tia is a slim 11 pounds these days. Poor baby was up to 16 pounds at one point and in so much pain and so lethargic she couldn't even walk outside to pee.

I had a goober for a significant other that would feed the dog Doritos when I wasn't around. And I had a goober for a vet that kept telling me she had slipped a disc.

I ditched the goober ex. And I found a new vet. Not exactly in that order, but you get the picture.

Turns out, it was arthritis in her hips and a kneecap with a tendency to slip that made it hard for her to walk. She's on a raw diet now. And glucosamine. And so very fit for a 9-year-old lady. And she's happy and can RUN RUN RUN through the house and all over the yard. *laughs*
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sassy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2011, 07:25 PM   #112
Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Female/Lesbian/half the athlete I used to be
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,168 Posts
Dominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST Reputation

My Kat, affectionately referred to as alarm kat, (never late in waking me, because he gets fancy fest then) was weighing in at 22 pounds. Yes, I know. He was looking like the foot stool too. I thought he was a big Tom Kat. The
Vet told me to put him on Purina One Lite Crunchies, he can still have the spoon full of fancy feast two times a day....but he must loose 5 pounds.

I made him start running around the house, I actually engaged with him (as if he was a dog) initially he was like
WTF? Because you know, they, Kats in general, are lazy.
Soon he started liking it. It took almost two years, he did alot of spiteful things in the beginning when I changed his crunchies.....like purposely barfing in my slippers, you know....the kind where they binge, then purge....all the unchewed food.....purposely (key word here) to let me know he was not happy about these changes. He came around.

LOL.

The vet said I extended his life 3 to 5 years by getting him into better shape. He looks better too. His fur is so different. He was eating fancy feast crunchies (expensive!)
apparently, it's like Mcdonalds. No wonder he was acting out. I took away the double cheeseburgers, and gave him extra value meals. He is still on the lite.....he's down to
13 lbs and is 12 years old now.
Dominique is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dominique For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2011, 07:37 PM   #113
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

I think that part of the problem is that people are not even aware as to what their dogs should look like. Seriously. I don't think people are always aware that their dogs are overweight.

Then of course they feel "bad" when they can't give Fido extra treats or table food.

I have the worst time with my mother. She just doesn't get it and wants to give my guy too many treats. Whenever she keeps him for me for a period of time (she keeps him when I go on vacation), I come back to a bigger dog. Since he only weighs 13 lbs he is easy to put weight on.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:53 PM   #114
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I've never heard of using bounce dryer pads to keep pests off pets. And it works? Sounds Cool. I'll research. I bet they smell nice that way too. *giggles*
My dog takes interceptor to prevent heart worms. For my little dog it costs about $65 every 6 months. It's the only thing I've found that doesn't make her nauseous. Once, I tried some heartworm prevention pills that also included flea control and those were a very bad idea. I had a very sick dog for over a month.
I read somewhere that teatree oil repels fleas and ticks -- put it on a handkerchief and tie it around the hound's neck when they're outside. But only for really big dogs. You can't use it on little dogs -- something about their metabolism and size, the teatree oil screws with their nervous system. So, since my dog is a mini, I haven't tested that idea.
Our yard is treated. But with every other neighbor's cat thinking the back deck is a great bird-watching spot, it's impossible to really control the occasional outbreak of fleas
I've looked for alternative flea and tick repellent for my li'l dog -- with no success. (See above mention of teatree oil.) So, right now I use the drops.
Tia, my dog, has a lot of scratching/chewing issues related to stress. She develops skin infections easily. And she doesn't not approve of flea spray on her pet bedding or drops on her fur. She and I negotiated and what I decided on, was instead of giving her a full dose once a month. I put about half the drops on every 2 weeks. This way she gets regular baths (weekly to every 2 weeks, depending on how soon she walks into the bathroom and demands a bath. Or whether she's found something stinky to roll in outside. LOL.) and I don't feel like I'm wasting money on medicine that gets washed off. She has pet beds in each room and I put old sheets on them for her to nest in. Each week the pet beds get sprayed and she gets clean sheets. Fleas don't have anywhere to breed but she doesn't have to lay directly on the chemical stinky stuff. Which she won't. She'll protest loudly first. Ever hear a hound dog cuss? I should video that sometime. I'd get a lot of hits on YouTube. *laughs*

So far rowdy is doing ok with out the heart worm meds,I thought I could give her half a dose but the vet said that the way the pills are made the meds could be unevenly mixed in the pill.She also had a prob with itching but I got iodine shampoo wich cleard that up so now I only use it when needed,All he hair on her butt and back grew back really nice.I tought I may get some fly wpes I use to use on my horseits like a baby wipe with repelent in it..may be to strong for a small dog or dogs ingeneral..I will check it out.She loves a bath ad gets in the shower with me all the time just to injoy the water,this year I had a kiddy pool with a non slip servface for her and Diva the pug to play in..both my fur kids are spoiled to the core.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:15 PM   #115
Inuus

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her
Relationship Status:
Single Not Looking

Inuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST Reputation

I dont know about the rest of you but well, my Boxer Gouda gets the best food/toys/treats/supplements etc etc that I can afford(and sometimes I cant afford..lol). I do tons of research and belong to a few boards which are a wealth of information.

Just curious about a few things:

What food do you feed your dog(s) and why did you choose that food?

I feed Gouda Taste Of The Wild Pacific Salmon. I feed it because its grain free and is what I feel si the best food for the price.

What supplements if any do you give your dog?

Gouda is in remission from Cancer and has lived longer then any of the Vets including her oncologist said she would. I give her safflower oil daily because the oncologist suggested it and in some tests was shown to help dogs with Goudas specific type of cancer. I just ordered some coconut oil and will try that for the first time. She has terrible allergies and its suppose to have a lot of great benefits. One last thing I give her daily is Apple Cider Vinegar. It has some great health benefits as well. Just Google coconut oil and ACV

How many times a week do you buy something for your dog(food, treats, toys etc)

It seems I can not go to a store without buying her something!

Are you fanatical (like me) about making sure they get all their preventatives (heartworm fleas/tick etc) and do you make sure they get all their vaccinations and check ups?

I took Gouda in 1 month earlier for her annual check up just because I couldnt wait to see if any signs of the cancer was present, which it wasnt! I'm weird I know!

Bottom line for me I will sacrifice my own "extras" to make sure Gouda is taken care of properly. As far as her Cancer treatment...uumm lets just say I have never admitted out loud how much that cost me lol

Here she is with HER chicks she adopted

Old 10-06-2011, 06:09 PM   #116
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thumbs up Great topic!

Me in bold black type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuus View Post

Just curious about a few things:

What food do you feed your dog(s) and why did you choose that food?

I feed Gouda Taste Of The Wild Pacific Salmon. I feed it because its grain free and is what I feel si the best food for the price.

Until semi recently, I fed my dog, Innova. I changed from Innova because in June (July?) 2010 the company that makes Innova dog food (Natura Pet Products) were sold to Procter and Gamble. P & G were the ones who took over Eukanuba and changed their ingredients to what most in the "dog food world" would say are inferior ingredients to what they had prior to the sale. Since a dog food company has up to 6 months to change their ingredient label after changing the ingredients of the food that is actually in the bag, I was not waiting to find out my dog was eating crap for 6 months.

I spent A LOT of time researching the dog food I would chose, including looking at the 2011 Whole Dog Journal list of approved dog food.

I personally was looking for the standard quality ingredients that most dog owners are looking for. In addition, however, I was looking for fruits/veggies of the anti-oxidant variety and supplements that I am partial too.

It is ironic that you bring up cancer, Innus. The reason why I care about the anti-oxidants and certain supplements (Omega 3, for example), is because I am looking for a food that will help prevent my dog from getting cancer (you ever notice the high rate of cancer in dogs? higher than in humans). Since my own cancer, I am conscious of what veggies I eat for their anti-oxidant effect and what supplements I take. It makes sense to me that if I can get a dog food that has broccoli instead of cucumbers (a higher anti oxidant value) for example, all things being equal, I should choose that dog food.

After I stopped the Innova I was using Organix and was considering changing to Paul Newman's organic when I saw my vet for my dog's annual visit. My vet suggested Hills/Science Diet because she said that Hills and Purina (one of the Purina dog foods, specifically...can't remember which one) were the only two companies that did actual long term research with dogs on site for health. Vet told me all the vets at her clinic gave their dogs Hills/Science Diet. I didn't care as I wanted organic for my dog. Plus, I didn't need one of the Hills special diet ones and I didn't like the Science Diet's ingredients. (and the idea of Purina made me shudder...but that is my own issue).

A week later I had to take my dog to an emergency vet appointment (long story, but he is fine) at a different clinic. The vet there was this really bright, young, new vet. So, I figured hey, she would be good to ask...right out of school, so she is up to date on the latest information. What did she say? Hills/Science Diet. I told her that I really wanted to do organic with my dog and she made an excellent point. Organic dog food is not regulated the same way our organic food is. And we don't really have any way to know how old the food is. Some dog food sit on shelves for a while. How do I know if it is still fresh without preservatives. Plus, the whole issue of Hills/Science Diet and Purina being the only dog food out there to produce data on their products.

So, I figured I needed to look at Science Diet again. I went to Hills website and found that they now sell "nature's best". I was quite pleased with the ingredient list. It had the good stuff I would exepct from a quality food, PLUS the fruits/veggies/supplements I wanted my dog to have. So, I switched. (nature's best chicken and brown rice dinner, specifically).

One last comment. I am not anti-grain when it comes to do food, as long as it is brown rice. In fact, I prefer it in there.

Good topic. I was actually going to bring this one up when I was looking for dog food, but figured that no one would be interested enough to respond!

What supplements if any do you give your dog?

Gouda is in remission from Cancer and has lived longer then any of the Vets including her oncologist said she would.

None, but I would if I found his food to be lacking. Or, like you, if my dog had cancer in the past (I personally, take supplements!)

How many times a week do you buy something for your dog(food, treats, toys etc)

It seems I can not go to a store without buying her something!

I do pretty well with not buying stuff all the time. My issue is the amount of guilt I feel if I do not take him for a long walk every night and the guilt I feel if I go hiking/biking/anything outside, without him. THAT I cannot do!

Treats I give my dog are the treats from Wellness brand or Blue Buffalo.

Are you fanatical (like me) about making sure they get all their preventatives (heartworm fleas/tick etc) and do you make sure they get all their vaccinations and check ups?

Of course!

I took Gouda in 1 month earlier for her annual check up just because I couldnt wait to see if any signs of the cancer was present, which it wasnt! I'm weird I know!

Weirder - until this past year I took my dog in every 6 months...for no reason...just wanted an every 6 month check instead of a yearly check!

I am assuming I would be less insane if I had human children (well, less insane with my dog, is what I mean).

I'm impressed you waited 11 months! ha.

Also, I am very happy to hear that your pup is doing so well!

Old 10-06-2011, 07:14 PM   #117
Inuus

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her
Relationship Status:
Single Not Looking

Inuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST Reputation

DapperButch I'm sure we could have a lot of interesting conversations about our dogs and health. I might not take great care of myself but Gouda gets the best(I'm sure Freud would have a hay day with that).

I have always been against Hills Science diet but now you have me interested in reading more about the Natures Best

I too look very closely at the ingredients. I have no problem with Brown Rice either, and like you I make sure there are a lot of fruits an veggies as well.

I need to stop being so lazy and make her homemade treats. I used to do that a lot but now I usually just do it as Christmas presents for my friends dogs.

What kind of dog is yours? If you mentioned before I guess I missed it
Old 10-06-2011, 11:20 PM   #118
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Question-

My lottle guy is positive and now symptomatic for hip dysplasia. Not as difficult to deal with in terms of pain and disability as it is with large breeds. But, when he is in pain, I am a mess.

I give him supplements including omegas and flax seed oil and glucosemine & condroitin with MSM. But I have heard that dogs can be given "people" supplements for the G & C and it is much less expensive. Does anyone know about this? My concern is the dosing and I always am concerned about additives and if they are things that dogs can digest. Yet, I am in for some vet bills along the way with this including surgeries later and saving a few bucks would help. He already is on a Rx diet for urinary issues (he can develop kidney stones) and that costs a mint. But, far better than developing stones.

Also- any ideas of where I can get a good deal on a lightweight ramp? I was able to build him an outdoor ramp for my backyard stairs, but I want to eliminate stairs anywhere, including up onto my bed. His "staircase" to slumberland has to become a ramp.

Thanks and blessings to all of our fur people!!!
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:25 AM   #119
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastHome View Post
Question-

My lottle guy is positive and now symptomatic for hip dysplasia. Not as difficult to deal with in terms of pain and disability as it is with large breeds. But, when he is in pain, I am a mess.

I give him supplements including omegas and flax seed oil and glucosemine & condroitin with MSM. But I have heard that dogs can be given "people" supplements for the G & C and it is much less expensive. Does anyone know about this? My concern is the dosing and I always am concerned about additives and if they are things that dogs can digest. Yet, I am in for some vet bills along the way with this including surgeries later and saving a few bucks would help. He already is on a Rx diet for urinary issues (he can develop kidney stones) and that costs a mint. But, far better than developing stones.

Also- any ideas of where I can get a good deal on a lightweight ramp? I was able to build him an outdoor ramp for my backyard stairs, but I want to eliminate stairs anywhere, including up onto my bed. His "staircase" to slumberland has to become a ramp.

Thanks and blessings to all of our fur people!!!
Sorry to hear your guy is having trouble.

I would be hesitant to give my dog human supplements unless I was told by a vet it was safe to do so. You don't think your vet would be honest if you asked him/her this? I mean, since you are asking us I am assuming you think your vet would tell you it is not safe, even if it is? If you can't trust your vet to answer this question, I personally would get a new one!

Old 10-07-2011, 05:38 AM   #120
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuus View Post
DapperButch I'm sure we could have a lot of interesting conversations about our dogs and health. I might not take great care of myself but Gouda gets the best(I'm sure Freud would have a hay day with that).

I have always been against Hills Science diet but now you have me interested in reading more about the Natures Best

I too look very closely at the ingredients. I have no problem with Brown Rice either, and like you I make sure there are a lot of fruits an veggies as well.

I need to stop being so lazy and make her homemade treats. I used to do that a lot but now I usually just do it as Christmas presents for my friends dogs.

What kind of dog is yours? If you mentioned before I guess I missed it
What breed? That is an interesting question!

My dog is a shortie Jack Russell terrier. Some call this breed a English Jack Russell terrier, while others call this breed an Irish Jack Russell Terrier! Essentially, he is a Parson Russell Terrier who is short (10"-12" at the shoulders).

Some argue it is the original Parson Russell.

They are not yet recognized by the AKC, even though they have been around for years. They should be in the next couple of years, I suspect. They have fallen under the Foundation Stock Service as the Russell Terrier. They have been recognized by the UKC for many years and are very popular in England. Prince Charles typically has 2 at any given time for his fox hunting. He pops them on the back of his saddle and then drops them to the ground when he needs them to chase the foxes out from underground.

Although they originated in England, and many breeders seek out Irish born Jacks for their lines, the AKC has chosen to go with the "stylings" (sorry can't think of a better word) of the Australian born for breed standard (all about the same, but you know). It caused quite an uproar.

Anyway, THAT is why my guy is!

Damn, could have just done this:

http://www.akc.org/breeds/russell_terrier/

Anyway, he is the perfect breed for me. I love the big dog in the small dog body the terrier breeds encompass. He is a rough and tumble guy and has the stamina of the big dogs. He loves to hike for miles and miles and is afraid of nothing. He rocks.