Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 08-28-2010, 08:01 PM   #101
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

I just saw this article on HuffPost and have to say, this is a prime example of leaving Frugal to the extreme and when you have to: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_697279.html

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2010, 01:34 AM   #102
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,794 Times in 25,669 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
I just saw this article on HuffPost and have to say, this is a prime example of leaving Frugal to the extreme and when you have to: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_697279.html
Wow! A rocket stove!

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2010, 05:47 AM   #103
christie

How Do You Identify?:
A Force with which to be reckoned
Preferred Pronoun?:
just be nice...
Relationship Status:
I call her Mine

Thanked 2,476 Times in 706 Posts
christie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Very interesting story in that he did this by choice. I do think that its not unusual to be able to live and sustain without money - it seems to me that we have millions of homeless folks who do this every day. The big difference is that he makes a choice to do it and has the support systems of the organic farm and the freeskilling group and that he obviously has access to information so he can learn how to make his mushroom paper and such.

His story reminds me of a TV series from the mid 90s called Promised Land. Gerald McRaney and his family traveled from town to town, living in an Airstream, homeschooling their kids and him picking up odd jobs to make money as they needed it. I always thought that it was a novel idea, but that the reality of that situation would be far different than as portrayed.
christie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2010, 09:00 AM   #104
coach

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
dont care, just dont hurt yourself.
Relationship Status:
Engaged

coach Has the BEST Reputationcoach Has the BEST Reputationcoach Has the BEST Reputationcoach Has the BEST Reputationcoach Has the BEST Reputationcoach Has the BEST Reputationcoach Has the BEST Reputationcoach Has the BEST Reputationcoach Has the BEST Reputationcoach Has the BEST Reputationcoach Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post

I have my favorite "cheap ass" discussion every night with Jack over dinner (I dont know how she tolerates me). It goes like this:

Me: "Honey, you will never guess how cheap this dinner is!"
Jack: "I'm sure you're gonna tell me!"
Me: "Well, this piece of roast is HALF of the roast we ate last week that I froze, so that part is $2! The potatoes and carrots are another $2! The onion and gravy MIGHT come out to $1! And the rolls come out to .25 each! So that means that for $6, we are going to get TWO meals EACH. WEEEEEEEEEEE - BABE! THAT COMES OUT TO $1.50 PER MEAL!"
OMG! Doc and I have this discussion almost every night! Same as y'all, what was for dinner when I lived in CA was Drive-thru!

When I go into a store, any retail store, the first thing I look for is my buddy "Clarence". Most stores have a whole section. At Target, if you cruise the store on the outside aisles, there are "Clarence" sections on the end caps about every 4 or 5 rows.

I ALWAYS shop at thrift stores. I almost never buy brand new clothes for myself. Just not necessary. My bonus boys used to love thrift store shopping but my bonus daughter doesnt want anything to do with it. The last time we went, she kept hovering over me like someone might bite her or something. She'll learn...I hope.

The best thing about being frugal is that on occasion, we can go somewhere, like Little Rock this year, and not worry about money. The whole time we were on vacation this time, we didn't check the bank balance at all. This is unusual for me because I constantly worry about money.

I dont use my credit cards anymore. I have had to use them for emergencies in the past but I leave them at home now. Those balances are creeping downward ever so slowly.

I have re-financed my car loan because when I bought it with crappy credit, the interest rate was two figures. I got a new loan at my credit union for about half what I was paying.

I love this thread! I can get money saving tips here so that when I want to, I can afford to be generous!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coach For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2010, 11:41 AM   #105
ruthie14

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she

Thanked 1,243 Times in 461 Posts
ruthie14 Has the BEST Reputationruthie14 Has the BEST Reputationruthie14 Has the BEST Reputationruthie14 Has the BEST Reputationruthie14 Has the BEST Reputationruthie14 Has the BEST Reputationruthie14 Has the BEST Reputationruthie14 Has the BEST Reputationruthie14 Has the BEST Reputationruthie14 Has the BEST Reputationruthie14 Has the BEST Reputation
Wink

Have to say I love this thread. I have been more or less frugal, depending on my circumstances, for most of my life. Currently trying to be VERY frugal as my full time job and part time job just aren't cutting it right now. I had some unexpected hospital and car bills... so that put me under. When my step kids lived at home we had no child support coming in from their mother and other funiacial issues so we were quite strapped. I made homemade maple syrup.. no not real but quite tasty actually. I made pancakes from scratch..extrememely easy. Can't eat them now because of celiac, but they were a great dinner for my family back in the day. The other day I bought a small bag of black beans and a box of walmart brand instant brown rice. Used half of each to make beans and rice... spices, onions, peppers etc. I have gotten 6 meals out of it. Added some chicken chorizo i had in the freezer (a little goes a long way) for a variety in 3 of the meals. I shop at Aldi regularly. Love Goodwill..but right now can't even afford that. I have enough clothes for now so that is ok. Going to have a garage sale this month. Mom and I bought a house together last nov..so we have a LOT of doubled up stuff. I have given a lot away.. but still have some left over. Might make a little bit anyway. We shall see.

I have recently made my own businss cards for petsitting, babysitting errand running, rides for seniors. So far I have gotten 2 new petsitting clients. Sitting for one new client today for dinner and breakfast for 3 cats (one home). Dog sitting for a regular today through monday. So thats an extra 40 this weekend. Every little bit helps. Eating grits on the weekends now. They are very cheap ofcourse.... my dr won't be happy.. but I have to have money for my perscriptions so something had to give. I have been using up gift cards that I have gotten so that is a help. I have about 19 dollars left on a visa gc that I will use for my Atkins bars at walmart. Thats what I eat for breakfast during the work week. Good for my diabetes so. I have 1 aldi brand low fat string cheese stick for my snack at work, aldi fat free low sugar yogurt with nuts for lunch (37 cents for the yogurt.. nuts vary depending on the variety). I have on cup of coffee with breakfast that I make at home, hot tea I make at home and bring... diet pesi mom buys for me and water the rest of the day. So my day to day breakfast and lunch is very inexpensive. Dinners vary...but very frugal as well.

Thats all for now.. gotta go take care of 3 cats! lol

bye folks,
Ruthe
ruthie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ruthie14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2010, 12:43 PM   #106
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

Thanked 1,690 Times in 1,064 Posts
lipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputation

I don't know what you call frugal in this economy and living in Northern NJ which is close to NY buts its expensive to try to save. that's one of the reasons I'm moving to Florida because its cheaper then here. I try to save on groceries but they are way too expensive. I am on a diet so fruits and vegetables are costly, go to trader JOe's but still costs a lot..anyway will be done with school shortly so hopefully jobs will come my way and I can start earning a wage and be in a lifestyle that suits me well...
lipstixgal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lipstixgal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2010, 11:49 AM   #107
squeak

How Do You Identify?:
femme!
Preferred Pronoun?:
princess
Relationship Status:
making one butch sweat

squeak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputationsqueak Has the BEST Reputation

Since moving from Florida to Los Angeles, my rent has tripled, my car insurance has doubled, and my paycheck has been hit by a furlough - I have a better understanding that frugal doesn't just mean buying two pairs of shoes instead of three to save up for that new necklace like it used to. It means comparing the price per ounce on clearance frozen veggies at the discount store and wondering how in the world someone can afford to spend $4 on a luxurious bundle of fresh asparagus or real lemons when they could buy four 1lb bags of green beans! I can't wait to chastise my future grandkids on how good they have it.

I've really learned how to be much less wasteful while simultaneously bonding with my mom over casserole recipes and freezer methods.

These are tips most of you know, but that I've only recently taken to heart:
  1. Make a big pot of split pea soup and freeze individual portions in ziplock bags for lunches/dinners in the future. The soup is high in protein and low in fat if you make it vegan. This is my favorite recipe: Fat Free Vegan Split Pea Soup
  2. Many recipes call for just a tablespoon of tomato paste or a single chipotle chile in adobe, etc., leaving you with half a can of tomato paste or chiles. (Both of these have a limited fridge life and a phenomenal ability to grow a beard in under a week.) Just take a sheet of parchment or wax paper and scoop out the paste/chiles by the tablespoon and plop them on the paper not touching another scoop - freeze on the paper for a few hours and then put them in a freezer ziplock. Tada! Now when a recipe calls for a tablespoon/single chile, etc you can reach into the freezer and they are in individual serving sizes.
  3. Bell peppers are typically very expensive here for much of the year (especially my favorite: red peppers!) - but one magical month a year they are abundant and affordable. I stock up on peppers and de-seed and cut them into strips, freeze them individually on parchment paper and put in a ziplock the next day like above. I also do this with celery since any recipe I need celery for calls for one or two stalks at most. Both are full of water and will lose their snap when thawed, but are perfect for using in stir fries and soups. You can also wrap the celery in foil and it will extend its life in the fridge.
  4. Toilet paper from the 99cents Only Store is just as effective as toilet paper that costs four times as much.
  5. Stir fries and beans and rice are healthy and economical. Serve with homemade cast iron skillet cornbread and you'll be pumped with iron.
  6. Instead of throwing away the ends of bread that have gone stale, throw them in the freezer. When you have a few bread ends, throw them in the blender or food processor with an assortment of your favorite herbs and toast in the oven for a few minutes and make your own breadcrumbs instead of buying a chemical blend from the store. Fresh breadcrumbs taste amazing.
  7. Make your own vegetable stock by saving all carrot tops, onion tops, celery tops, potato skins, parsnip tops, beet tops, etc in a big bag in the freezer. When you have a bag full, boil in a soup pot of water with your favorite herbs (mine are thyme and sage), strain, and use immediately, freeze in an ice cube tray, or save in 1-cup increments in ziplocks for later. You can use a few cubes to really flavor plain rice.
  8. Speaking of rice, if you are lucky enough to live close to an Asian neighborhood or an Indian neighborhood with well-stocked niche grocery stores, buy rice in bulk from these places. It might hurt to pay $20 for a bag of rice, but you'll use that for MONTHS. It took me nearly a year to use up the jasmine rice from the 25lb bag I bought. (Also: Indian grocery stores have cheaper saffron and Asian stores cheaper tofu and mockmeats.)
  9. When berries are abundant in summer and go on sale, buy in bulk and freeze to enjoy in pies, muffins, etc, later.
  10. If you are blessed to live in a city with a fair amount of reliable and far-reaching public transportation available, check into getting a bus pass and seeing if that is better for getting to work. Where I work, I would have to pay $65/month to park, not to mention the gas, the risk of accidents, and the general stress of driving. The unlimited monthly bus pass costs me $33/month and also works for the subway. I use it to go everywhere, and save on having to feed parking meters or pay $10 to park in a garage elsewhere, too! (I also get to enjoy guilt-free reading time!)

xosqueak. Sucking it in.
squeak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to squeak For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2010, 08:58 AM   #108
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,903 Times in 1,030 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

One area I'm not that frugal in is groceries. I only buy what I need, but I want to make sure it's quality food like Kamut pasta, organic couscous, German ryes, local meat, eggs and vegetables from the Farmer's Market (preferably from Mennonites, which is the only way for me to know for sure that there isn't any added hormones, pesticides etc. and that the animals are free range), organic peanut butter, goat yogurt etc. I do buy a lot of the tuna value packs, though...which is a significant chunk of a typical lunch for me.

But I find I can spend a little more in the grocery department if I save elsewhere.

- Bringing both lunch and supper to work since I often work from 8am to 10pm. In the past I would sometimes bring lunch and a snack, then buy some chicken breast and chickpea salad for supper, but I've cut that out and bring both meals and all my snacks now. So end up saving 6-7 bucks at least 3 times per week.

- Boiling chicken/turkey bones for soup instead of buying soup.

- Making my own chili instead of buying it.

- I've come to realise that a lot of people tend to spend a fuck ton of their money per day on coffee. I've never been a coffee drinker, ever, so I seem to save quite a bit by not being a caffeine fiend lol

- Never buy my beverages out either, but bring them instead. I only really drink water and milk so really not that difficult to do, so really only end up paying for the milk...

- Buy bar soap instead of body wash. A 3 pack of Irish Spring bar soap costs 3 bucks (CAD) and lasts over 6-7 months, compared with body wash that is more expensive and runs out every two months at the most. Plus I find bar soap more effective and don't know why the world stopped using it in the first place, lol 3 bucks every 7 months versus 7 bucks every month and a half or so? Yes please. Again, money that can be spent on better food.

- If your body seems to get used to one type of soap so you like to switch it up, or if you just prefer body wash to bar soap, Hair&Body washes are great. Saves you the money from buying both shampoo and shower gel/soap/whatever separately.

- Metro pass instead of tokens for public transport saves a chunk of cash per month. Uni student pass and you save even more. Biking to work costs nothing at all, even if it takes over an hour when one works far. I do walk or bike if I'm going downtown or somewhere else generally close buy (45 mins to an hour's walking distance).

- I've never been a huge clothing shopper, but if I need some kind of new clothing then I head to somewhere like Zeller's (for anything), the Black Market (for pants), or thrift shops. Definitely significant price difference between these places and going to a mall, no matter whether its undershirts or jeans. I buy clothes like once a year so no biggy, really.

- If I buy cds or books I do so very little. Cds I haven't bought in a while (unfortunately, since I'm a music fanatic), but if I do its a second hand shops (5 bucks a cd), or underground distributers (anywhere from 2 bucks to 10 bucks), or gigs.

- Rent a room instead of an apartment.

- Don't own a tv/rent movies/buy any form of computer programme/game/whatever because in the world of the interwebz no such things are needed.

- Don't own a land line.

- Don't pay for gym membership because I work at one.
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2010, 06:16 AM   #109
femmennoir

How Do You Identify?:
femme, naturellement
Preferred Pronoun?:
Elle
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 1,223 Times in 478 Posts
femmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputation
Default Great news!!!

We have a new headmaster, who decided to give the faculty free lunches! Our chef is fantastic, we always have lovely food, and most of us during school eat a very good lunch, then a light supper at home...I am already noticing how much money I am saving since school has started!
There is a chill in the air, although we have clear skies and the sun is out, and I am thinking of bringing my crock-pot down from its summer storage...A vision of soups and stews has been dancing in my head! Leeks, potatoes, carrots, turnips, parsnips, lentils, split peas......
Let's share recipes!
Elle*, the frugal gourmet!
And your heart, as it was then, will be on fire.

Anna Akhmatova "White nights"
femmennoir is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to femmennoir For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2010, 11:42 AM   #110
citybutch

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I answer to "hey you" (either works for me!)
Relationship Status:
19 years together- Very Married for 10 years

Thanked 1,195 Times in 355 Posts
citybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputation

-bring my lunch every day to work (I bring all leftovers from dinners I cook 3-4 times/week... along with a salad)
-keep snacks (low fat popcorn, etc) in my desk drawer (not tempted to go to the snack machine)
-use the chicken bones and make my own chicken/vegetable/noodle soup (yum)
-my wife reuses plastic sandwich bags (drives me nuts but it DOES save)
-grocery shop only once a week and plan our meals (lunch and dinner ) for the week before we go
-we have stopped eating out (except an occassional sushi outing) except when we go out with friends.. (and even then we tend to go over to each others homes these days)
-STOPPED traveling for a while!!
-turn lights out whenever we leave a room (I have a harder time with this than my wife does)
-shorter showers
-laundry only once a week (larger loads- saves water, energy, electricity, etc)
-Netflix!!!
-wash my own car
-shop at places like North Park Produce... (omg, LOVE that place... can buy 5 bags of fruits, veggies, meats, and fish for less than $30)
-buy our firewood by the cord
-plan my driving distances... (my clients are all over the county)
-buy gas on days that this http://www.fueltracker.com/ website says it is a "buy" day

I am sure I have more... Love this thread... and love what folks are doing!!

Take care of your body, take care of your health... You never know when the walls cave in and it all changes for good.
citybutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to citybutch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2010, 11:55 AM   #111
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,872 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

I did an experiment a while back to see how much cash I was spending eating at work.

Coffee from Starbucks and a breakfast snack at work = $7 per day
Lunch at work = $5.50 per day
Afternoon juice, Diet Coke (when I was still drinking them), or bottled water from the vending machine at work = $1 a day.

That was 13.50 PER DAY or almost $70 a WEEK!

Holy crap did I ever give myself a nice raise by bringing all of my food and drinks from home!

City - Jack takes her lunch every day for work and it *also* drives her crazy when I wash out Ziploc bags and reuse them so we compromised and I bought a couple of those plastic sandwich-shaped boxes to put her sandwiches in instead of using Ziplocs. We just wash them out and rotate and it has saved about $5 a month on buying new bags
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2010, 12:05 PM   #112
citybutch

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I answer to "hey you" (either works for me!)
Relationship Status:
19 years together- Very Married for 10 years

Thanked 1,195 Times in 355 Posts
citybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputation

AND that is $3,640 PER YEAR!!!

We have those sandwich boxes too... I tend to bring meals as opposed to sandwiches, so I use tupperware.... It is actually my beautiful bride who uses those sandwich bags... I don't know why she doesn't use the boxes! LOL...

I have to admit that I sometimes surreptitiously throw them out when she would keep them and continue to wash them out... I just have too...

We recycle all of our recyclables (city pick up) and use paperbags to collect them through the week... A couple weeks ago I actually saw my wife empty the paperbag into the blue recycling bin... she was recycling the paper bag for re-use... I have to admit it was a good idea when you take into consideration all the paperbags that places like Trader Joe's hands out on a daily basis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
I did an experiment a while back to see how much cash I was spending eating at work.

Coffee from Starbucks and a breakfast snack at work = $7 per day
Lunch at work = $5.50 per day
Afternoon juice, Diet Coke (when I was still drinking them), or bottled water from the vending machine at work = $1 a day.

That was 13.50 PER DAY or almost $70 a WEEK!

Holy crap did I ever give myself a nice raise by bringing all of my food and drinks from home!

City - Jack takes her lunch every day for work and it *also* drives her crazy when I wash out Ziploc bags and reuse them so we compromised and I bought a couple of those plastic sandwich-shaped boxes to put her sandwiches in instead of using Ziplocs. We just wash them out and rotate and it has saved about $5 a month on buying new bags

Take care of your body, take care of your health... You never know when the walls cave in and it all changes for good.
citybutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to citybutch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2010, 08:37 PM   #113
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,264 Posts
Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation
Default Hope I don't gross anyone out... litterbox maintenance

I save every food bag that "zips" shut, especially tortilla and shredded cheese bags *awww come on, you don't think I was making my own tortillas when it was 103 out day after day? My window a/c was already struggling, yanno?* and reuse them when I scoop the litterboxes. Food bags are meant to keep odors inside; this means I can toss the zipped bag into my kitchen trash and not have to take anything out to big trash can immediately. No more using a clean bag for the scooping, and no more tossing the big kitchen bag before it's full!

Also, nothing holds used litter supplies like a big dog or cat food bag--they can't be recycled for anything else, they're waterproof, and they're big enough to hold everything when you clean out a litterbox. They don't seal but that's okay--I use them on trash pick-up day and they're the last thing in the kitchen trash bag before I throw the whole caboodle in the big can and wheel it to the curb.
Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2010, 05:40 AM   #114
diamondrose

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,895 Times in 923 Posts
diamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputation

I thought to mention that a great way for walmart shoppers to save money is to bring the current sale ads from other grocery stores along. Walmart price matches an exact item advertised in another store ad if it is cheaper than the walmart price.( At least they do it here where I live.. Worth checking out)
diamondrose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diamondrose For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2010, 11:08 AM   #115
rlin

How Do You Identify?:
human

Thanked 1,189 Times in 451 Posts
rlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondrose View Post
I thought to mention that a great way for walmart shoppers to save money is to bring the current sale ads from other grocery stores along. Walmart price matches an exact item advertised in another store ad if it is cheaper than the walmart price.( At least they do it here where I live.. Worth checking out)
years ago... when they first opened in my town... they kept all the ad papers at the registers... dont know if they still do it...
i try really hard to stay outta the place... unfortunately there are those times in the wee hours of the morning when you just gotta have something like a surge protector or a hammer...
so... i do stumble in sometimes still... just usually not for something that may be in a sales paper...
rlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:17 PM   #116
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Thanked 15,246 Times in 3,064 Posts
Andrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST Reputation

Have to brag about my frugal honey. He purchased discounted tri-tip steaks for $6. Using an ear of corn, one broccoli head, brown jasmine rice and hot oil, he produced three different dinners for a total of approximately $7 for six meals.

I heart my frugal honey.

Anyone else have any good deals lately?

Andrea

What we think about and thank about, we bring about!

Today I will treat my body with love and respect.
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andrea For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2011, 03:07 PM   #117
Miss Scarlett
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:

Thanked 12,947 Times in 3,418 Posts
Miss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST Reputation

i make my own foaming hand soap refill...it's much nicer and less expensive than the refills sold in stores. Plus it's a good way to use that frustrating little bit of body wash that never seems to want to come out of the bottle when you are in the shower. All you need is a foaming hand soap dispenser, body wash and warm water.

i add about an equal amount of warm water and gently shake until well mixed then just pour it into the dispenser.

If you use foaming dish liquid, you can do the same thing with regular dish liquid and water.

Miss Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Miss Scarlett For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2012, 02:20 AM   #118
Ursy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Engaged

Ursy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST Reputation

Hey folks,

Just came across this super frugal idea for a solar cooker that you make out of a car windshield shade:
http://solarcooking.wikia.com/wiki/W...e_Solar_Cooker

Super frugal! You get a cheap solar cooker, plus you can cook things without using electricity or other conventional fuels, which helps your wallet as well as the environment.

So for me, that's a win-win-win!
Ursy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ursy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2012, 05:05 AM   #119
Chancie

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme-inist
Relationship Status:
I'm lucky.

1 Highscore

Thanked 14,386 Times in 2,680 Posts
Chancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST Reputation

I bought my not very big, not very fancy house when I was in my 40s and then I refinanced it when I was in my late 40s to save almost $200 a month.

I want to try to pay off my thirty year mortgage because I didn't start teaching in a public school until I was 42, and I won't be able to afford my mortgage when I retire.

I emailed my very helpful local bank manager and he said I'd need to pay about $770 extra a month to principal in order to pay off my mortgage by the end of the school year when I turn 60 years old.

I don't have to tell you how impossible that sounds, so I will just pay about $87 a month towards principal, which will shave off a few years.

But, it's important to me to be able to choose whether I stay here when I retire, so I have been thinking a lot about how to manage my budget with an eye towards the future.
Chancie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Chancie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2012, 05:25 AM   #120
Ursy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Engaged

Ursy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST Reputation

Good luck Chancie!

We're having to be frugal because we are only living off my income right now. We're getting the house ready to sell and will be downsizing so that I will be able to cover all the bills because Kris has had health problems since Feb.

I've made a start by planting some tomatoes. The price of tomatoes went up to $9 a kilo earlier this year (That's about $4.50 a pound)! It was ridiculous! Now that my tomatoes are starting to fruit, the prices have gone down again. Oh well... I'll still be saving money by growing them (and tomatoes are easy to grow).

I'm also trying to grow potatoes in a big pot... wondering how that will go.

I agree, it's important to have the security of knowing that you will be able to keep living in your house when you retire.
Ursy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ursy For This Useful Post:

Tags
frugal, saving money