Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > In The News

Old 06-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #1321
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

i hope Weiner gets out of politics. There is a pattern here, between the fact that he likes to yank people's chains and the fact that he somehow thought he was untouchable. i read that REPUBLICANS had warned him that his online activity was being followed and he didn't stop. That, at least, suggests a sex addiction. At worst, it is semi-delusional, like his expectation that he wouldn't be found out when he cried, "Hackers!" That's very scary thinking.

There is evidence of his behavior all over the place, easily discovered. He is a smart man; he knows this. That he thought he could lie and get by with it in spite of common sense is a red flag that something is going on with him. It connects with his yanking chains on both sides of the aisle, which could mean that he thought he could survive politically in spite of not having a significant number of allies. Certainly having the Clintons on your side is good, but that connection was forged through his wife, not through his own actions.

The pattern is self-destructive. There is some grandiosity involved and massive amounts of denial. i agree with the New York Times. Psychiatry is indicated. And a 12-step program for sex addicts. The online flirting manifestation of sex addiction is quite common. It doesn't require physical contact to be a sex addict. Most sex addicts are not out there fucking everyone, in fact.

But it's not just thrill-seeking that is the problem. He has that grandiose, oppositional streak that many addicts have. And he is capable of lying to himself and others when the shit hits the fan. i wish him well, but he is not healthy enough to be in public service at this time.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2011, 12:02 AM   #1322
MsDemeanor

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme
Relationship Status:
Happily married to MisterMeanor, the man of my dreams

Thanked 1,851 Times in 511 Posts
MsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST Reputation

Yeah, I'm pissed at Weiner. Yeah, I'm pissed at Edwards. Worse, though, I'm fed up with our puritanical society that focuses on sex shit and ignores real things that are happening that are destroying real people. Republicans all over the country are stripping women of control of their bodies, denying citizens the right to vote, taking health care away from the sick and elderly, and taking the food away from hungry children, in Washington these assholes are ready to destroy the entire country over the debt ceiling; and Weiner is the bullshit story that makes the headlines for days on end.

David Vitter got a standing ovation from his colleagues and still holds his office. If Weiner has to go, so does Vitter.

Eric Cantor prays for the families of republican legislators who get caught in sex scandals, but demands resignation from a democrat in the same situation.

Countless republicans who have done things far worse than Weiner have been supported by their fellow republicans; some still hold office, some have moved on to other wealth-making ventures, one is running for President. Elliot Spitzer actually reported on the Weiner case on his CNN news show with a straight face.

The rule about sex scandals being okay only if one is a Republican needs to end. Fucking hypocrites.

Last edited by MsDemeanor; 06-09-2011 at 12:06 AM.
MsDemeanor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MsDemeanor For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2011, 03:38 AM   #1323
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

quote from a boston.com news article:

Quote:
Cordova’s experience with Weiner appears to fit a pattern: In rapid and reckless fashion, he sought to transform informal online conversations about politics and policy into sexually charged exchanges, often laced with racy language and explicit images.

Cordova, who had text-messaged with Weiner, a New York Democrat, about their shared concern over his conservative critics, said she had never sent Weiner anything provocative. Asked if she was taken aback by Weiner’s decision to send the photo, she said, “Oh gosh, yes.’’

Cordova spoke to The New York Times as Weiner faced intensifying calls for his resignation because of his acknowledged online sexual communications with at least six women over a period of three years. . . .

The women who have acknowledged encountering Weiner on social media and then having personal communications with him varied in age, race, and location, and even in their willingness to engage the congressman in sexual discourse. But in each case Weiner’s online conduct in many ways mirrored that of his offline life — he was aggressive, blunt, feisty, and willing to push boundaries with an apparent disregard for the possible consequences.

The women came to his attention after he had come to theirs. Usually they were admirers of his scrappy progressive politics and youthful energy, and either posted an enthusiastic comment on his Facebook page or sent him an admiring Twitter message.
He is another politician using his power to harrass women. Some of them were willing, but the unwilling were exposed to his aggressive advances. These were not women he met in an online dating site.

The Strauss-Kahn and the Georges Tron scandals are more comparable than the Vitter scandal. Vitter procured prostitutes if i recall. Clearly some of the women in communication with Weiner were harrassed. That's not rape, but it's non-consensual, and it's exploiting one's position of power. Seriously, those women were talking to him because of his position as a congressman. They weren't just striking up a chat relationship online and hoping to flirt.

What is interesting to me is that he didn't create a pseudo and troll for women in someplace like Second Life. He could have had many opportunities for online sexual chat. He used the fact that he is who he is to get those women's attention. He exploited their respect for a member of Congress.

A prostition scandal or a good old fashioned affair at least does not involve non-consensual sexual behavior.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:42 PM   #1324
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsDemeanor View Post
Yeah, I'm pissed at Weiner. Yeah, I'm pissed at Edwards. Worse, though, I'm fed up with our puritanical society that focuses on sex shit and ignores real things that are happening that are destroying real people. Republicans all over the country are stripping women of control of their bodies, denying citizens the right to vote, taking health care away from the sick and elderly, and taking the food away from hungry children, in Washington these assholes are ready to destroy the entire country over the debt ceiling; and Weiner is the bullshit story that makes the headlines for days on end.

David Vitter got a standing ovation from his colleagues and still holds his office. If Weiner has to go, so does Vitter.

Eric Cantor prays for the families of republican legislators who get caught in sex scandals, but demands resignation from a democrat in the same situation.
Countless republicans who have done things far worse than Weiner have been supported by their fellow republicans; some still hold office, some have moved on to other wealth-making ventures, one is running for President. Elliot Spitzer actually reported on the Weiner case on his CNN news show with a straight face.

The rule about sex scandals being okay only if one is a Republican needs to end. Fucking hypocrites.
Yes- the hypocracy makes me crazy, too. All the GOP Christian right-wing praying and people like Ginrich saying God forgave him is such a crock.

My main concern is political- I don't want this to add to the difficulty of obama's re-election (and he is vulnerable due to the economic situation and the unemployment rate). I was feeling like the Dems could win back the House- and this kind of garbage can have an effect on this (re- Mark Foley). Plus, Weiner is one of the few progressive left-wing House members and I want him in the House! With Dennis Kucinich maybe facing being tossed out via re-districting, I don't want Weiner gone, too. His voice is needed. Which, like you, is why I could smack him for this goofy situation. The "moral" side of this doesn't matter to me. The political side, does in terms of the Dems winning back seats in the House as well as Obama being re-elected. Wouldn't mind more Dem senators, either.

Something I can't quite figure out is why the Dems are piling on him with calls for resignation. The election is still 16 months away. If they keep trying to distance themselves from Weiner publically, this will not die down. The fear is that he did something illegal, I think, that has yet to surface. My guess is that he did not do anything illegal. Stupid, yes- especially due to the BIG issues you list above. Some serious stuff going on that Congress needs to deal with.

I guess there is the threat that not "all" of the story has been reported- that there might be more. Weiner needs to hire an expert that deals with these things that can do damage control- which is exactly what politicians do in these situations. Vitter et. al. did.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2011, 12:51 PM   #1325
Novelafemme
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 8,925 Times in 1,834 Posts
Novelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastHome View Post
Yes- the hypocracy makes me crazy, too. All the GOP Christian right-wing praying and people like Ginrich saying God forgave him is such a crock.

My main concern is political- I don't want this to add to the difficulty of obama's re-election (and he is vulnerable due to the economic situation and the unemployment rate). I was feeling like the Dems could win back the House- and this kind of garbage can have an effect on this (re- Mark Foley). Plus, Weiner is one of the few progressive left-wing House members and I want him in the House! With Dennis Kucinich maybe facing being tossed out via re-districting, I don't want Weiner gone, too. His voice is needed. Which, like you, is why I could smack him for this goofy situation. The "moral" side of this doesn't matter to me. The political side, does in terms of the Dems winning back seats in the House as well as Obama being re-elected. Wouldn't mind more Dem senators, either.

Something I can't quite figure out is why the Dems are piling on him with calls for resignation. The election is still 16 months away. If they keep trying to distance themselves from Weiner publically, this will not die down. The fear is that he did something illegal, I think, that has yet to surface. My guess is that he did not do anything illegal. Stupid, yes- especially due to the BIG issues you list above. Some serious stuff going on that Congress needs to deal with.

I guess there is the threat that not "all" of the story has been reported- that there might be more. Weiner needs to hire an expert that deals with these things that can do damage control- which is exactly what politicians do in these situations. Vitter et. al. did.
This is exactly what I was pondering this morning while reading the NYT.
Novelafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Novelafemme For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #1326
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelafemme View Post
This is exactly what I was pondering this morning while reading the NYT.
I know- I am wondering if some of the "between-the-lines" comments about Weiner not being very well liked by other Dems due to his abrasive ("arrogant" has been put out there, too) personality is true. Polls in his district show that the actual voters still would re-elect him (as far as these kinds of polls go).
Old 06-09-2011, 01:12 PM   #1327
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,663 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation
Default Alabama's illegal immigration law

By BOB JOHNSON, Associated Press Bob Johnson, Associated Press – 2 hrs 7 mins ago
MONTGOMERY, Ala. – Alabama's governor on Thursday signed a tough new illegal immigration law that requires public schools to determine students' immigration status and makes it a crime to knowingly give an illegal immigrant a ride.

The bill also allows police to arrest anyone suspected of being an illegal immigrant if they're stopped for any other reason. Alabama employers also are now required to use a federal system called E-Verify to determine if new workers are in the country legally.

Gov. Robert Bentley said the law is the nation's toughest, and groups including the American Civil Liberties Union and the Montgomery-based Southern Poverty Law Center agree. The groups say they plan to challenge it.

The legal director for the Southern Poverty Law Center, Mary Bauer, said Thursday that she expects a lawsuit to be filed before the provisions of law are scheduled to take effect on Sept. 1.

"It is clearly unconstitutional. It's mean-spirited, racist and we think a court will enjoin it," Bauer said.

Sam Brooks of the SPLC's Immigrant Justice Project said the new law will set back progress Alabama has made on civil rights and race relations. He also said it would be costly for the state to enforce and defend the provisions of the law.

According to the 2010 U.S. census, 3.9 percent — about 186,000 — of the state's nearly 4.8 million people identified as Hispanic or Latino. That's more than double the number reported in the 2000 census.

One of the sponsors, Republican Sen. Scott Beason of Gardendale said the legislation would create jobs and put unemployed Alabama residents back to work.

"This will put thousands of Alabamians back in the workforce," Beason said.

But Jared Shepherd, an attorney for the ACLU, said he doesn't believe the new law has anything to do with jobs.

"This is about trying to put anti-immigration sentiment into law," Shepherd said. He said the ACLU would join the SPLC and other groups in challenging the law in court.

He said he finds the provisions requiring schools to document the immigration status of students to be particularly troublesome. He said he is concerned that immigrant parents will not send their children to school out of fear that they will be arrested because of their immigration status.

Public schools will not be able to deny illegal immigrants an education, however. Bentley said the bill was intended to get data about how many illegal immigrants attend public schools.

Bentley, who campaigned on passing the toughest anti-illegal immigration bill possible, said he believes the measure can withstand legal challenges.

The House sponsor, Republican Rep. Micky Hammon of Decatur, said the bill was written so that if any part of it is determined to be unconstitutional or violate federal law, the rest will stand.

Alabama's measure was modeled on a similar law passed in Arizona. A federal judge blocked the most controversial parts of Arizona's law last year after the Justice Department sued. A federal appeals court judge upheld the decision, and Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer has said she plans to appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Neighboring Georgia also passed a law cracking down on immigration this year, and civil liberties groups have filed a lawsuit trying to block it.

Linton Joaquin, general counsel for the National Immigration Law Center in Los Angeles, said the Alabama law stands out over other states because it covers all parts of an immigrant's life.

"It is a sweeping attack on immigrants and people of color in general. It adds restrictions on education, housing and other areas. It is a very broad attack. The state does not have the right to create its own immigration regime," Joaquin said. He said his organization plans to be involved in lawsuits challenging the new law. He said the organization is involved in challenges in Utah, Arizona, Indiana and Georgia

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110609/...mmigration_law

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2011, 05:55 PM   #1328
MsDemeanor

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme
Relationship Status:

MsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST Reputation

Earlier this decade the Alabama poultry industry started replacing african-american workers with undocumented workers because they could pay them less. I'm surprised that the industry let the politicians get away with this.

In other news, Weiner is now *yawn* page 27 news. Newt's campaign staff just quit, so he's the next big thing that everyone will be writing about.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:58 AM   #1329
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsDemeanor View Post
Earlier this decade the Alabama poultry industry started replacing african-american workers with undocumented workers because they could pay them less. I'm surprised that the industry let the politicians get away with this.

In other news, Weiner is now *yawn* page 27 news. Newt's campaign staff just quit, so he's the next big thing that everyone will be writing about.
I actually might tune into the GOP debate Monday to see what Newt Been Booted has to say. Just for the fun of it! He loves to hear himself speak. Wonder if there will be any Tiffany bashing! It amazes me that this idiot doesn't get that having an account with a $500,000 limit there might just piss off a lot of people in the US- how about the people losing their homes and have been laid-off for over a year and have lost everything in the recession headed by ultra-rich Wall Street types and protected by the GOP?

Maybe the Dems that felt they needed to distance themselves from Weiner have had their say and he will survive. But, we can bet the GOP House members will keep the story alive as we go on to to 2012.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:39 AM   #1330
MsDemeanor

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme
Relationship Status:

24,000 pages of email from the former half-term governor of Alaska being released today. Anthony who?
Old 06-11-2011, 04:35 PM   #1331
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Psychiatry is indicated. And a 12-step program for sex addicts.
Frankly I don't give a shit about his on-line stuff. I damn sure am not going to be casting a stone. I've done my share of on-line sex stuff over the years. I'm thinking back to my early days on the dash site when I was a chat whore ..........laughin......the Hot Tub got pretty hot sometimes!

There are other recovery programs besides 12 Step programs. AA is a religious recovery program. You don't need God/higher power/something outside yourself to deal with addictions of any kind.

There are secular organizations such as LifeRing Secular Recovery (www.lifering.org). There are others also.
Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2011, 01:42 PM   #1332
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

Something that is bugging me about Weiner getting treatment has to do with some of the really assbite by-lines in the media. There are people that have addictive compulsions that can lead to serious problems in their work, relationships, etc. Have no idea if Weiner has a bona fide addiction- but it makes me angry that these kinds of addictions are not recognized as real and can be very detrimental to people.

Weiner is an intelligent guy- why would he rish his career or even his marriage by tweeting things like nude photos of himself and having online sex- he knew he would get caught. The right-wing morals police are all over left -wing or progressive representatives online.

He might be entering treatment as a political ploy to save his ass in the House, but maybe society will get it's head out of it's own butt and realize that there are addictions and compusions that regular old smart people have. We always want to see dysfunction or even criminality in POC or those in poverty or uneducated- we never can believe that someone like Weiner (JFK, Bill Clinton, et. al.) could not have control over what some might think is kinky or "acting just like a man"-you lnow, they can't possibly control their sexual urges).

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/12/ny...sign.html?_r=1
Old 06-12-2011, 04:30 PM   #1333
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

I cannot say if Weiner crossed negotiated boundaries in his marriage. She may well not care if he is sexting with adults.

As to risking his career, why should it, since it's all with adults? The police didn't find anything wrong with his texts to the 17 year old. Nothing to see there.

What the fuck business is it of the country what he does as long as it's adults and consensual? Why is this news? It has nothing to do with his qualifications or his performance of his duties as a member of the House; or as a potential candidate for Mayor of NYC. No one can say he has done a crappy job for his constituents. He is one of the few progressives folks in the House and Senate. I will never forget his House speech with blood veins sticking out on his neck and spit flying, while telling some Republican he was out of order and to sit down!!!!

The only reason anyone's sex life (RT and cyber) is important is when that person is a hypocrite like ALL the Republicans caught in sex scandles. Weiner is not a hypocrite.

We will never become a sex positive culture unless we realize consenting adults can do whatever they want with each other. It should not be news.

edited to add: just because he sex texts does not mean he is addicted for fuck's sake people.....
I will not assimilate

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2011, 03:48 PM   #1334
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughy View Post
I cannot say if Weiner crossed negotiated boundaries in his marriage. She may well not care if he is sexting with adults.

As to risking his career, why should it, since it's all with adults? The police didn't find anything wrong with his texts to the 17 year old. Nothing to see there.

What the fuck business is it of the country what he does as long as it's adults and consensual? Why is this news? It has nothing to do with his qualifications or his performance of his duties as a member of the House; or as a potential candidate for Mayor of NYC. No one can say he has done a crappy job for his constituents. He is one of the few progressives folks in the House and Senate. I will never forget his House speech with blood veins sticking out on his neck and spit flying, while telling some Republican he was out of order and to sit down!!!!

The only reason anyone's sex life (RT and cyber) is important is when that person is a hypocrite like ALL the Republicans caught in sex scandles. Weiner is not a hypocrite.

We will never become a sex positive culture unless we realize consenting adults can do whatever they want with each other. It should not be news.

edited to add: just because he sex texts does not mean he is addicted for fuck's sake people.....
Oh, I agree about hypocrite GOP House & Senate members! And no, these actions in and of themselves do not mean anyone has any kind of addiction, sexual or otherwise. Poor judgement for a public office holder, yes.

Why the hell he did a week of BSing over this makes me crazy- and just made this a bigger thing than it is. He should have just said, "Yes, I sent the pic and it is of me." AND said "I have never campaigned on family values, therefore, my behavior is not hypocritical. What is between my wife and myself in our marriage is private." He made much of his own grief with all of the interviews for a week and angry cuts at reporters.

It is news because the moral police do follow liberal and progressive politicians online to do exactly this- make it a public issue especially during election cycles. Actually, there are the same kind of people trolling GOP members for the very same reason.

Frankly, knowing that this goes on would be enough for me to not give these jerks something to make a public mess out of. Why risk it when we are in the middle of one of the toughest economic down-turns in our history? Common people are hurting. I am counting on Congressional members like Weiner, Boxer, Kucinich, Wasserman-Schultz, etc. to stay in office and fight for my political ideals.

I agree that sex of any kind between consenting adults shouldn't be news. But the reality is it will used against a politician. Knowing this and doing this kind of stuff can also be viewed as kicking supporters that are having a hell of a time to stay above water or losing their homes, etc. right in the ass. Or, does Weiner have an addiction or high risk taking behavior even in the face of having the capacity to see negative results he does not have control over?
Or, is he now doing what so may politicians and celebrities do to get themselves out of hot water for stupid actions? The sex isn't the problem, the risk behavior and lack of impulse control is. Also, any idiot ought to know that public perception about bring shame ( even if that is not true for his wife at all) to one’s spouse will kick you in the butt every time.

How does one define a sex positive society? My bet is that would be all over a very wide spectrum.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:19 PM   #1335
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

I don't want to belabor the point but......

Quote:
Or, is he now doing what so may politicians and celebrities do to get themselves out of hot water for stupid actions? The sex isn't the problem, the risk behavior and lack of impulse control is. Also, any idiot ought to know that public perception about bring shame ( even if that is not true for his wife at all) to one’s spouse will kick you in the butt every time.

Or, does Weiner have an addiction or high risk taking behavior even in the face of having the capacity to see negative results he does not have control over?
How do you that he has lack of impulse control? You make an assumption and it's a bit judgmental in my book. Why should he be ashamed? Why should his wife be shamed?

Quote:
And no, these actions in and of themselves do not mean anyone has any kind of addiction, sexual or otherwise. Poor judgement for a public office holder, yes.
Sorry the only poor judgement he has shown is not telling the truth in the beginning.

As long as we keep throwing people under the bus because a bunch radical right wing religious nutjobs thinks his behavior is immoral, nothing will ever change. None of this is anyone's business. Period. Full Stop.
I will not assimilate

The Following User Says Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2011, 09:45 AM   #1336
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
A very happy Mr. Grumpy Cat

Thanked 18,941 Times in 4,707 Posts
UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation

Weiner resigning. Story here.
UofMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2011, 10:09 AM   #1337
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,742 Times in 2,566 Posts
betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofMfan View Post
Weiner resigning. Story here.
That is such bullshit. That's like expecting me to quit my job because I once drunk dialed a friend to tell her that she's hot.

I'm really disappointed in him for giving in like that.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:13 AM   #1338
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
A very happy Mr. Grumpy Cat

Thanked 18,941 Times in 4,707 Posts
UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by betenoire View Post
That is such bullshit. That's like expecting me to quit my job because I once drunk dialed a friend to tell her that she's hot.

I'm really disappointed in him for giving in like that.
I agree. I don´t like all the pressure he got from his own party.
UofMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2011, 03:59 PM   #1339
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofMfan View Post
I agree. I don´t like all the pressure he got from his own party.
I see the Dems going at him as a means for him to come back, actually. And I think that as politicians that are trying to get back to what is really important these days in Congress, they had no choice in taking shots at him. But what may be going on here, might be very different and positive for Weiner in the long run...

I hate it that we have lost a very animated progressive in the House- yet, I am amazed that so many people think that it was sexting and nude photos that are really why he lost support of his Democratic colleagues.

That is not why- lying to them and the public for over a week and doing so on no less than 5 major media shows with dumb, dumb explanations is why the Dems turned on him. Also, he has never been a team player and that is a mortal sin with these folks. Weiner isn’t liked all that much by Congressional Dems or the GOP because he is very outspoken- he does stand up for his beliefs and won’t back down. Most politicians in office are mush as far as I’m concerned- no back bone like his. Not one house member would co-sponsor legislation with him in the future or allow him a seat on congressional committees. Thus, his effectiveness to represent his district went down the toilet. And Weiner has been one hell of an effective progressive House member. Right now, his constituents are behind him, however, if it became obvious that he was dead in the House as their rep- they would have to let him go and back another candidate that could represent their concerns. That's politics. An ineffective House rep- no matter the reason will not survive and should not.

Dumb (really dumb) of him to come up with the story of being hacked and expect the public to believe it was just plain arrogance, I believe. Perhaps magical thinking in an age in which the media will did and dig. It really did not make sense to me that he would first go to a law firm and not the police or FBI if he was really hacked. So, at the onset, I didn’t believe him. Yet, I kept hoping it would die down. I don't give a flying hooray about the content of the texting, emails, or the damn pics. Or phone sex- even though, I know if I were married to him, it would matter. But that isn’t my call.

I do think his judgment and frankly, his infantile erect dick focused ego says he needs to deal with some things psychologically. Arrested development lingers in my clinical mind. I hope he really does seek treatment because I still think he can be elected as NYC Mayor in the future and would be a good one. And that is something he wants to do. In fact, his resigning and doing rehab and getting this whole mess out of the public eye is a smart thing to do in terms of a run for NYC Mayor as I see it.

I want the Democratic Party to demonstrate a higher bar than the hypocritical GOP in the House and Senate and Congressional members are not everyday people that get to do this shit and not have repercussions. Those days are gone for politicians with the media as it is today and the internet. Just a fact they have to deal with realistically. I wish he had consulted with a smart and seasoned political damage control expert immediately. So much of this could have been avoided.

I really am tired of the focus on the sexual behavior aspect of this- that is not the reason he is in this mess at all in terms of resigning- his lies and arrogant use of media keeping the damn story going and the future loss of effectiveness as a House member is the reason he resigned. The personal possibility of sex addiction is and should be a personal matter- but when these kinds of things get in the way of a Congress person’s effectiveness, not matter how, it just isn’t. I think it is really naïve to think that it would be- or at best unrealistic.

I say good luck in your resurrection Anthony, hope to see you either re-elected to the House in future elections with different colleagues around you to work with or as the Mayor of NYC. Maybe Govenor of NY.

Something distinct from all the politics here is the fact that Weiner did display key elements of sex addiction. One occurrence of a photo without a history of well over a year of the behavior he displayed is not the same as getting drunk and calling someone and telling them they are hot. There is a pattern here. Along with all of the great things the cyber world brings (including cyber-sex between consenting adults and couples), his patterns indicate a problem. His resignation due to the prior risk-taking behaviors is proof that he was out of control. When behavior leads to job loss or other problems in our relations, etc., IT IS A PROBLEM!

Something that keeps going through my mind about his resignation and his having a bona fide sex addiction is not based solely on any clinical perspectives. Anthony Weiner really does not have other skills and credentials (including a law degree) to make a living outside of holding office. His leaving his House post is very different than most Congressional members that can easily make a living outside of public office. He is not the book writing, public speaker type either. He isn’t warm and fuzzy and has not made a name for himself for anything that most people would pay to attend a lecture about. Well, maybe cyber sex, now. I think he is recognizing he indeed has a compulsion that will he needs to deal with and it is better to do so now while he is still young enough to get back on the political saddle within a relatively short time and not have this compulsion get him shot out of the saddle once again. His resignation demonstrates strength and positive self-care to me.

To be honest, I think his marriage might just go down the tubes eventually. His wife is herself an up and coming political figure and I don’t think she will “stand by her man” and risk being ridiculed for this by the women in the Democratic Party that are becoming real political power brokers. I bet Hillary Clinton has told her- “this is only the start of this - you can get out now without his BS taking you down.” If Anthony continues to take potentially damaging risks to her political future, she won’t stay with him.

Marriage between powerful politicians (or those asiring to be) are not fairy tale romance driven pacts, folks. And the role of women in politics has changed and finally getting to the point where they are not going to put up with someone stuck in adolescence with his dick size. Huma is quite capable of raising a child without being married to Weiner and still having that child be involved with her/his father in a positive way. Women do not have to remain in the same old roles anymore- especially smart, internationally acclaimed women with good political savvy and ambitions of their own. A political husband that could be a continual disaster waiting to happen is expendable in many political couplings. I have no idea what their marriage is really like or about, but something tells me given Huma’s age and aspirations, they will divorce within a couple of years if she can’t trust his risk taking behavior is not in check. I could be very wrong, but the initial calls and conferences between Weiner and Huma with both Clintons at the outset of this mess say to me this is a political power marriage not based upon romantic love. And I don’t have any judgment of how other people marry. It is their union. Then, Huma was off with Hillary Clinton for her work and continued counsel.

I know, I’m rambling, but I just don’t see this as a simple political gaffe that could have gone away- although his coming clean right off and taking that heat might have stopped so much of what has tumbled out. Like I said, I hope he times-out, reorganizes (both personally and public ally) and resurfaces in shape to either be re-elected to his seat (if it still exists after redistricting) or as a candidate for NYC Mayor. Then maybe Governor. I don’t think his political career is dead. Who knows, this might end up being a good thing if he does have compulsive ridden behaviors that would probably get him and his political career one way or the other. Hell, if the likes of Vitter and Craig (Ginrich & McCain), too can survive politically (and they ARE hypocrites)- Weiner can too in the long run.

Nope, this just isn’t about sexting and package pics…. I honestly am thinking about his resignation in terms of it being a means for him to clean his crap up and come back and be the progressive fighter I do think he is. Then, again, I tend to over think a lot of things and try to tease out positives possibilities. We humans are resilient and it because Weiner is NOT a hypocrite that I see him back in office eventually. Just the kind of "knee-jerk" liberal I am.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:05 PM   #1340
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums
Default Giffords discharged- BUT...

Gabby Giffords' Rosy Recovery Needs Reality Check, Say Experts
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/gabby-g...ry?id=13829783

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...html?r=topnews
The Following User Says Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:

Tags
breaking news, news