Old 12-01-2009, 09:24 PM   #141
Hudson

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Truth is stranger than fiction.

Hudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jet View Post
Good answer, but am I correct that T therapy causes rage behavior? My doc and i are going to talk about all this. I wanted to know if the injections changed your mood during any kind phase or period of time.
Hey Jet,

I wanted to add to what some of the other guys have already said. My gender therapist (an FTM on T 28 years) and a doctor I'm talking to both have said that while testosterone does not cause these (negative)things, it can/will possibly enhance what emotion is already there for instance if you're depressed (how many of us haven't been, right?) then it can make you more depressed. Some guys are advised to go on an anti-depressant for a while first before beginning T. Others start and level right on out. Something to consider. I'm not sure if other guys have been told the same but maybe they can weigh in on this too?
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2009, 09:28 PM   #142
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben-Her View Post
Hey Jet,

I wanted to add to what some of the other guys have already said. My gender therapist (an FTM on T 28 years) and a doctor I'm talking to both have said that while testosterone does not cause these (negative)things, it can/will possibly enhance what emotion is already there for instance if you're depressed (how many of us haven't been, right?) then it can make you more depressed. Some guys are advised to go on an anti-depressant for a while first before beginning T. Others start and level right on out. Something to consider. I'm not sure if other guys have been told the same but maybe they can weigh in on this too?

I have never heard that. If anything, I've heard that for many it increases calmness and happiness (on a path that finally leads to where they want to go).

Hudson's Guide on the Myths of T and FTMs: http://www.ftmguide.org/myths.html#1

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2009, 09:55 PM   #143
Hudson

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Truth is stranger than fiction.

Hudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
I have never heard that. If anything, I've heard that for many it increases calmness and happiness (on a path that finally leads to where they want to go).

Hudson's Guide on the Myths of T and FTMs: http://www.ftmguide.org/myths.html#1

I'm really familiar with Hudson's FTM guide, Linus and it's a great source for resources and personal experiences. I did say many guys just level right out when they go on T (and feel better). However, some do not. I'm simply offering what has been told to me with regard to moods so that Jet (or anyone going on T) can discuss those concerns with his doctor. I think it's safest if those of us who aren't medical professionals or therapists do not advise and reassure others quite so emphatically (and reference internet sources) which I think is problematic in the trans community.
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:06 AM   #144
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Now this might be a bit of a morbid question but it is a question that I feel is better answered before something happens: do any trans individuals have some kind of a will or burial plans set out on how things will go when you pass on? I guess my concern is that when you're not there, you really can't speak for yourself and how you want to be addressed thus potentially opening the door for those who disapproved to go on about it.

And what about a "living will"? Has anyone planned any of those?

Old 12-02-2009, 08:34 PM   #145
NotAnAverageGuy
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Trans

NotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the roughNotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the roughNotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the roughNotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the rough

Linus I am being cremated, if anything happens to me before my parents, they know my last wishes
NotAnAverageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:39 PM   #146
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Just saw this on one of the FTM Yahoo Groups:

Quote:
A study conducted by the Universities of Zurich and Royal Holloway London
suggests that the association between testosterone and aggression is all in
our heads. Research with 120 subjects indicates that the hormone can
actually encourage fair behavior when it suits one’s own purposes.

Though the hormone is often associated with virility, aggression and risky
behaviors, the latest research challenges this connection. Previous studies
with castrated rodents demonstrated a reduction in combativeness
post-intervention and the findings have been long generalized to humans.
However, neuroscientist, Christoph Eisenegger and economists Ernst Fehr and
Michael Naef believe that their work refutes the rodent-based findings.

"We wanted to verify how the hormone affects social behavior," Dr.
Eisenegger explains. "We were interested in the question: what is truth, and
what is myth?"

Their study is published in the journal,
*Nature*<http://www.nature.com/nature/index.html>and involved a
behavioral experiment with 120 participants. Prior to the
testing, subjects were administered either 0.5 mg of testosterone or a
placebo and then became involved in a partnered negotiation over real money.
Those who with an artificially increased testosterone level generally made
fairer offers than those given the placebos. "The preconception that
testosterone only causes aggressive or egoistic behavior in humans is thus
clearly refuted," concludes Eisenegger.

"In the socially complex human environment, pro-social behavior secures
status, and not aggression," explains Naef. "The interplay between
testosterone and the socially differentiated environment of humans, and not
testosterone itself, probably causes fair or aggressive behavior".
Interestingly, the researchers also found that the misconception that
testosterone causes aggression is deeply entrenched and reflected in
behavioral patterns. Those who believed they received testosterone boosts
made the most obviously unfair offers. Naef suggests, "it appears that it is
not testosterone itself that induces aggressiveness, but rather the myth
surrounding the hormone. In a society where qualities and manners of
behavior are increasingly traced to biological causes and thereby partly
legitimated, this should make us sit up and take notice."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2009, 09:51 PM   #147
NotAnAverageGuy
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Trans

NotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the roughNotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the roughNotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the roughNotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the rough

I do need to read this as well
NotAnAverageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:54 PM   #148
Gentle Tiger

How Do You Identify?:
As a Tiger of course
Preferred Pronoun?:
Not the Old Man
Relationship Status:
Two Tigers

Thanked 15,997 Times in 3,996 Posts
Gentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST Reputation
Cool

No questions. Just dropping by to say hello. Still making my way around the site. Glad to know you guys are here.
Gentle Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gentle Tiger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2010, 01:13 AM   #149
weatherboi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Owned boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey boy!!!
Relationship Status:
counting freckles slowly under Her direction!!!

Thanked 12,558 Times in 2,992 Posts
weatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle Tiger View Post
No questions. Just dropping by to say hello. Still making my way around the site. Glad to know you guys are here.
Hey Gentle Tiger!! Welcome!!
weatherboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:26 PM   #150
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Hey all.. I was curious if anyone has seen Beautiful Daughters from Logo (you can get it on NetFlix)? It was a documentary on the Vagina Monologues version that was done entirely from the TransWoman's perspective. I have to say: very moving. One of the things that was interesting was the comment that transwomen are like immigrants into womandom (as it were).

And I have to say, it's an apt analogy in many ways.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2010, 05:38 PM   #151
Gentle Tiger

How Do You Identify?:
As a Tiger of course
Preferred Pronoun?:
Not the Old Man
Relationship Status:
Two Tigers

Thanked 15,997 Times in 3,996 Posts
Gentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Hey all.. I was curious if anyone has seen Beautiful Daughters from Logo (you can get it on NetFlix)? It was a documentary on the Vagina Monologues version that was done entirely from the TransWoman's perspective. I have to say: very moving. One of the things that was interesting was the comment that transwomen are like immigrants into womandom (as it were).

And I have to say, it's an apt analogy in many ways.
I just got it from Netflix. We will be looking at it at the next Living Your Truth meeting.
Gentle Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gentle Tiger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2010, 05:39 AM   #152
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Good show on transgendered kids and parents.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grMYNqe9lIQ"]YouTube- transgender children and their parents speak out part 1[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL2brGdp_kM"]YouTube- transgender children and their parents speak out part 2[/ame]

Old 02-25-2010, 01:14 AM   #153
Leigh
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, etc
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 13,026 Times in 4,786 Posts
Leigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST Reputation

Hey guys,

Its thursday and the day has barely begun (literally), but I'm sitting here with so much weighing on My mind and I knew that I could come here and talk to My fellow trans brothers. Some of you may know this already, but for those who don't ....... I officially came out to My parents this past weekend as being FTM, and I guess that I wasn't expecting the reaction that I've gotten from them so far. Usually they are both very supportive (more My mom than anything else), and yet I have been getting almost nothing from them but the silent treatment since sunday evening.

My mom right now is only talking to Me when she absolutely has to, otherwise she is hardly even acknowledging I exist. My dad talks to Me more than My mom is, however its mostly only to complain about what I'm not doing (or what I am doing that he doesn't like). I almost feel like I've turned green, grown a tail and horns and come from outer space ...... its like I'm almost not even welcome here anymore. I don't regret coming out to them, it was something I had to do; however, I am really scared about what may happen in the future if this doesn't change.

I want to hear from My fellow FTM brothers about this .......... what do you guys think of the situation? Should I wait it out? Do I say something? I have no idea where to go from here, so I guess I'm just looking for some guidance (and I knew I could come here). I thank everyone in advance for your responses and support; I'm very thankful to be able to have a place to come to, where I can open up and not have to be afraid of expressing Myself for fear of being judged
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leigh For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2010, 02:00 AM   #154
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braedon View Post
Hey guys,

Its thursday and the day has barely begun (literally), but I'm sitting here with so much weighing on My mind and I knew that I could come here and talk to My fellow trans brothers. Some of you may know this already, but for those who don't ....... I officially came out to My parents this past weekend as being FTM, and I guess that I wasn't expecting the reaction that I've gotten from them so far. Usually they are both very supportive (more My mom than anything else), and yet I have been getting almost nothing from them but the silent treatment since sunday evening.

My mom right now is only talking to Me when she absolutely has to, otherwise she is hardly even acknowledging I exist. My dad talks to Me more than My mom is, however its mostly only to complain about what I'm not doing (or what I am doing that he doesn't like). I almost feel like I've turned green, grown a tail and horns and come from outer space ...... its like I'm almost not even welcome here anymore. I don't regret coming out to them, it was something I had to do; however, I am really scared about what may happen in the future if this doesn't change.

I want to hear from My fellow FTM brothers about this .......... what do you guys think of the situation? Should I wait it out? Do I say something? I have no idea where to go from here, so I guess I'm just looking for some guidance (and I knew I could come here). I thank everyone in advance for your responses and support; I'm very thankful to be able to have a place to come to, where I can open up and not have to be afraid of expressing Myself for fear of being judged
Give them the time and space they need. They'll come around but you can't expect them to okay this when they hardly understand. They're grappling. I think it would be selfish of you to expect more right now. My mother disowned me for a year when I told her I was gay and then came around when she was ready. This is shock, fear, and a lot of unanswered questions for them right now. You have to take this as your responsibility for telling them. Be patient, kind, sensitive to them and deal with it.
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jet For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2010, 05:19 AM   #155
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braedon View Post
Hey guys,

To add to Ol' Jets comments: you've already grappled and understood the process of this for a while. It's their turn to come to terms with this. My grandmother, who was dead set against this, finally called me by my birthname last summer (took her a year). We often forget that our parents and relatives aren't experiencing life as we are.

Give them the time and space they need and be open for questions. When they do start talking to you expect questions, rage, confusion and such. Be patient as they have a lot to learn and understand. For example, for my grandmother her greatest concern, as a former nurse, (and the concern was echo'd by other family members) was health. They wanted to know whether I was seeing a doctor and how would I know if things were ok. When I explained the whole process and how I see a doc every 3 months and get lab work done then, it set a lot at ease.

I don't know if there is a support group for families of trans individuals in your area (Winnipeg, right?) but if there is, it may be good to get that info in case they want it in the future. One of my aunt's was pro-active about it and found one in Halifax to go to so she could understand more and know that she wasn't the only one with a weird nephew. (although the weirdness is likely due to geekness more than anything else )

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2010, 03:12 PM   #156
theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

Thanked 9,879 Times in 2,477 Posts
theoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Okay guys.....Gotta question for the fellows/Ladies who have undergone gender reassignment surgery (top surgery/genital reconstruction, etc.,).

Has anyone ventured forward to take the expense of the surgery(s) and related expenses off on your federal income tax as "out of pocket medical expense deductions"?? I want to do this on my 2009 Federal Income Tax, since I had top surgery this past year and had not only the expense of the surgery, but travel expenses, lodging, etc. I plan to try to deduct everything I can for that, which is probably upwards of $10K.

I found this and decided to try to get my tax prep guy to try to get it deducted.

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_N...ax_Deductible/

~Theo~
Old 02-28-2010, 03:23 PM   #157
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

I haven't but if I cannot get my new insurance (company is getting Aetna) to cover, I'm gonna go via the tax deduction. I think a lot of it depends on how much is spent over the course of a year.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:16 AM   #158
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

I've said before that I'm a male on the inside, fully and deeply. It was/is always terrible to feel one way and look another way. But i feel alienated in the community because it doesn't seem like others feel the same, just based on their own definition of what a trans is. I truly was born in the wrong body, and I don't know if others also feel the same or is there another driving force or impetus classify yourselves as trans.

Input? Without getting complicated or feeling like you have to be politically correct. How about we set aside the definition of trans and just talk about what you feel inside your body.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:06 AM   #159
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jet View Post
I've said before that I'm a male on the inside, fully and deeply. It was/is always terrible to feel one way and look another way. But i feel alienated in the community because it doesn't seem like others feel the same, just based on their own definition of what a trans is. I truly was born in the wrong body, and I don't know if others also feel the same or is there another driving force or impetus classify yourselves as trans.

Input? Without getting complicated or feeling like you have to be politically correct. How about we set aside the definition of trans and just talk about what you feel inside your body.

I think that varies from person-to-person and what experiences they have so I don't know if you'll find someone who feels exactly as you. I don't know if my "driving force" or impetus is as strong as yours (then again, I tend to be slow at decisions to ensure I don't second-guess myself down the road) but it took me a long time to realize I was born in the wrong body. (I didn't really understand what it meant to be trans until later in life).

I had inklings at a young age (when viewing myself from a day-dream point of view it was a male view -- largely shaped by James Bond, Charlie's Angels and the Facts of Life) and didn't really become aware of that fact until I hit my mid-teens. (when I realized that I never wanted to be a princess but rather the prince in many of the fantasy/sci-fi novels I read at the time). Even short story writing in school I envisioned myself as the male hero. I never talked about this internal view of myself to anyone because I was afraid of being called crazy or weird (I already had felt like a loner and outsider to everyone else -- I just didn't know why).

With it, I hid my desire for women, especially those who are rather feminine while still very strong and independent. I had learned to push that away and hide it most of my life although internally it was a constant battle between what I saw myself as and what I was presenting as. I tried to ignore the internal but there are few times that it lead to some close disasters. Once I came clean and decided to match the inside with the outside I felt at peace finally with me. Even with my weight gain (due entirely to my lazy ass) I'm still ok and love who I see in the mirror now. This wasn't something I did before and I often hated what I saw in the mirror.

DSM V may classify me as a mental case but I'm a happily blissful one at that.

Hopefully I answered what you were looking for. If I misunderstood, please let me know.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:52 PM   #160
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
I think that varies from person-to-person and what experiences they have so I don't know if you'll find someone who feels exactly as you. I don't know if my "driving force" or impetus is as strong as yours (then again, I tend to be slow at decisions to ensure I don't second-guess myself down the road) but it took me a long time to realize I was born in the wrong body. (I didn't really understand what it meant to be trans until later in life).

I had inklings at a young age (when viewing myself from a day-dream point of view it was a male view -- largely shaped by James Bond, Charlie's Angels and the Facts of Life) and didn't really become aware of that fact until I hit my mid-teens. (when I realized that I never wanted to be a princess but rather the prince in many of the fantasy/sci-fi novels I read at the time). Even short story writing in school I envisioned myself as the male hero. I never talked about this internal view of myself to anyone because I was afraid of being called crazy or weird (I already had felt like a loner and outsider to everyone else -- I just didn't know why).

With it, I hid my desire for women, especially those who are rather feminine while still very strong and independent. I had learned to push that away and hide it most of my life although internally it was a constant battle between what I saw myself as and what I was presenting as. I tried to ignore the internal but there are few times that it lead to some close disasters. Once I came clean and decided to match the inside with the outside I felt at peace finally with me. Even with my weight gain (due entirely to my lazy ass) I'm still ok and love who I see in the mirror now. This wasn't something I did before and I often hated what I saw in the mirror.

DSM V may classify me as a mental case but I'm a happily blissful one at that.

Hopefully I answered what you were looking for. If I misunderstood, please let me know.
That's exactly how i feel and have felt in my life. My feelings were contrary to my body. Thanks Linus for sharing, it's what i was looking for.