Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Thinking Harder

Old 03-20-2014, 10:23 PM   #1
tiaras-and-books

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her
Relationship Status:
in a relationship with someone wonderful. :)

tiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputationtiaras-and-books Has the BEST Reputation
Question Changing one's surname

Not sure whether this is in the right place or not. Hopefully I got it right.

I want to change my last name, and I'm trying to think through what I'd like to change it to. There's a family name I've considered using, but I want to look at all of my options.

If you were going to change your last name, what would you take into account when choosing your name or coming up with ideas? How do you think you'd go about picking one out?
tiaras-and-books is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tiaras-and-books For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2014, 04:30 AM   #2
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,769 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

I'd take everything into account. Who I am, who I want to be perceived as being, what I stand for and who and what I represent. A name is like a shield you wear into the battle of life every day.

I would choose one that spoke to me, that said 'THIS' is who I am, be it someone who stands out and is different or someone who goes with the flow and maybe blends in. I would make sure my whole name flowed seemlessly off of my lips, maybe even playfully so, because that's more along the lines of who I am. Maybe you are very serious, so you might want to choose a name that sounds powerful or strong.

I would do my research and study the origins of the surnames you are considering. Maybe even search for a family crest.

Good luck!

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2014, 12:34 PM   #3
Aud

How Do You Identify?:
Fabulous
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
Divorced

Aud Has the BEST ReputationAud Has the BEST ReputationAud Has the BEST ReputationAud Has the BEST ReputationAud Has the BEST ReputationAud Has the BEST ReputationAud Has the BEST ReputationAud Has the BEST ReputationAud Has the BEST ReputationAud Has the BEST ReputationAud Has the BEST Reputation

I considered changing my surname as a young adult (18-19) to my father's surname, as I felt it was rightfully mine & also as some passive-aggressive way to thumb my nose at him. Thankfully, I was too cheap and worked too hard for my money to make this meaningless change. I carry my maternal grandfather's surname, which I'm ok with. It has a rich, interesting history--Yet, it doesn't come with much of a sense of belonging. But as it stands, the only surname I would want is a spouse's. In fact, I think I'd be crushed if they didn't ask me to, or at least offer for me to take on some wonderfully pretentious hyphenated version of both our last names.
Aud is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aud For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2014, 12:40 PM   #4
imperfect_cupcake

How Do You Identify?:
feminine dolly dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your Grace
Relationship Status:
I put my own care first

Thanked 9,727 Times in 1,613 Posts
imperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputation

I changed my last name though not legally. since I write and am on line for other things, I go by a different last name. Only my old close friends, work, legal things and my family know my legal name. I actually like it this way. My face book and my pen name are the same, but my legal name stays off the internet.

I chose a name according to my birth mother's heritage and the meaning of the name.
It's welsh Gaelic for "of the sea"
I love the sea. And it sounds good. Also, its rather common so if people google me to stalk me, they are rather shit out of luck LOL.
imperfect_cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to imperfect_cupcake For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2014, 01:34 PM   #5
Parker
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Butch. Lesbian. Dyke. Woman. Female.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, of course!
Relationship Status:
Content

Thanked 11,730 Times in 2,432 Posts
Parker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST Reputation

When I changed my name in 2007, I changed both my first and last name. My first bc I never really liked Deborah - it never looked, sounded, or felt right. I ended up picking Parker bc it sounded gender neutral to me and bc it means "keeper of the park," which was perfect bc I love trees, forests, etc.

I also wanted to change my last name bc even as a kid, when I thought about marriage, I knew I would not take a man's last name bc it felt like ownership to me. I realized then that my current last name was a man's name - my dad's - and that using my mom's maiden name would still be using a man's name - her dad's. So I figured I should just make my own last name and start from scratch.

I struggled for a while in trying to find the right name, but then it hit me that I love wolves and have an affinity for them, so why not Wolf? My name is a little tricky though bc Parker is a common last name, so some people read the name and think my name is Wolf Parker and that I am a man. It was an unfortunate side effect, but not everyone sees it that way - a lot of people love saying the 2 names together as if they are one name. All-in-all, even with some people seeing my new name in writing and thinking: dude, I still love the name and am very happy that I changed it.

Good luck!
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Parker For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2014, 02:12 PM   #6
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,793 Times in 3,939 Posts
Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

I have changed both my first and middle names, and will most likely change my surname after my adopted father passes (long story, that will not be told in this space) from this earth. I will either go with the surname I was given at birth, because it fits my heritage, or I will choose one that fits more with who I am as a person.

As things stand, my surname is a very common German name and I've not an ounce of German blood in me as far as I know. My birth father's side of the family hails from Spain, and I have a good amount of Cherokee blood coursing through my veins as well.
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2014, 04:57 PM   #7
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,791 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

If my GF and I marry, I will change my last name to hers.

I really like her last name, my current name is my married name which I kept after the divorce because it was my children's last name and my maiden name is my father's name and I would never change my name to his.

In the meantime, I will just keep my last name as it is.

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post: