How Do You Identify?:
femme woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,944 Times in 584 Posts
iamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputation
Default Musings after meeting with this adorable young heterosexual couple that wants to buy my house.

I am in Michigan right now trying to sell a home there. I have been showing it to people for several days now, and last night I got an offer from an adorable young heterosexual couple that came to look at it. (Yeah!!)

I was asking them questions about themselves, trying to determine their ability to handle the payments on the home when the young woman, "C" jumps in and says.

"I know people find this boring, but I just have to tell you about "T" and I. We met in High School when we were only 15. We were best friends and we really loved each other. We talked to each other about all our girlfriends and boyfriends, and then we promised each other that if we were not married to someone else by the time we were 25, we would marry each other."

I said "Hey, they made a movie about you two!" (my best friend's wedding)

She laughed and said. "Well we graduated, went off on our separate ways. I moved out of town for a few years, and when I moved back I got in contact with T again. It was love at first site for both of us."

He was smiling a huge smile while she was telling this story and chimed in "I love this girl so much!"

We talked over the terms we might accept. They were so sweet together and so excited to maybe be buying their first home.

A note about myself - I just love people who love each other and express their love for each other openly. I love happiness.

When the meeting was over I went out with them to their car. As they were walking, they put their arms around each other. They kept leaning in to each other, smiling and laughing with excitement. They were beautiful!

The whole point of this post is this. I enjoyed them so much! They brought their beauty into my life for those moments.

But I couldn't help wondering if a young queer couple would have felt as free to show their love for each other in front of me. Would they have tried to hide their feeling for fear that I would find some excuse to reject them as home buyers? And I couldn't help wonder if a straight person would have found as much joy in observing that love as I did with this young straight couple.

I long for a time when we can show our love and receive support and smiles in return.
Smooches,
Keri
iamkeri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
iamkeri1

How Do You Identify?:
femme woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

1 Highscore

iamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputation

Well thank you, dear ones for the reps on this thread, but I feel I did not make my goal clear enough (since no one has responded, LOL) What I hoped would happen is that you would take the time to share one of your hopes/dreams/goals for our future as a queer people.

Come share with me.
Smooches,
Keri
Old 07-25-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
morningstar55

How Do You Identify?:
femme,she
Preferred Pronoun?:
she,her,
Relationship Status:
very single

Thanked 4,241 Times in 1,845 Posts
morningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputation

to have someone in my life , to love and cherish .. like the couple you mentioned.. is something I had hopes for .. for many yrs.
im 56 now and well ........ think its time to give up such silly ideas.
good luck with your house sale.
and cute story

life is to short to wake up in the morning with regrets
so love the people who treat you right,
forget about the ones who dont,
and believe that everything happens for a reason.
If you get a chance take it... if it changes your life let it.
morningstar55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to morningstar55 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2011, 05:15 PM   #4
Quintease

How Do You Identify?:
Rainbow femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
princess
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 1,816 Times in 417 Posts
Quintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST Reputation

To be honest, being in a 'straight' relationship has taught me that people treat gay relationships differently.

I had never experienced any homophobia or nastiness while in a gay relationship, in fact everyone was always very respectful and nice. Yet I would feel relief when I was in a gay space where I knew that everyone would understand. I never thought about why that was, I just knew that it was so.

Still I was completely unprepared for how accepting, appreciative and inclusive straight people would be toward my straight relationship, it feels so different to anything I've experienced before. I've had mothers and daughters, other straight couples, single men and women, and elderly strangers, all approach us with a smile, a nod, or an affectionate comment. As a result I feel safe now telling perfect strangers about my love in the grocery store, something I would never have done before.

I assume it's not a prejudice thing. I assume it's just because straight people see their own experiences reflected in other straight relationships, whereas gay relationships are still a mystery to them. I can only hope the growing acceptance of gay marriage will help to normalise gay relationships for straight people.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:55 PM   #5
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,625 Times in 3,978 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

when my granbabies are older (they arent born yet) I expect alot from this world.

I expect that gay marriage will be an old issue and a done deal in all the states

I expect lots of wonderful gay heroes in our armed services will be recognized just as heroes instead of as gay...

I expect that insurances will have their language and policies all adapted to meet our needs

I expect that there will be many many more gay politicians...who wont die because they are gay

I expect neighbors will not only be curious but friendly

I expect teachers to send home letters to Parents...inclusive....

I expect jobs to not be threatened by who we sleep with

I expect religion to catch up..yes, even catholism

I expect love to finally be the final verdict...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2011, 08:31 PM   #6
LipstickLola

How Do You Identify?:
Happy
Preferred Pronoun?:
she

Thanked 1,597 Times in 433 Posts
LipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST Reputation

I'm very demonstrative and openly affectionate, that said, I am also a late bloomer and Im so proud of my gf and happy to be seen with her by anyone.
Recently though, I introduced her as "my gf" and was promptly asked to not do that, she said it was nerdy. Ok, maybe it is and I am just behind the times?? When she saw the hurt (my emotions are easily seen, poker is not my forte) she explained that I am 'way more out' and she had been 'gay all her life'. It was a perspective I had not considered since I no longer feel that I have to hide who I am and am living authentically. It made me sad to think that I felt the need to hide who I was 35 years ago as a teenager, and now that i feel free, still I am somewhat forbidden to really 'be'

I long to walk hand in hand, or just to throw my arm around her.....

Great thread
LipstickLola is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LipstickLola For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2011, 12:26 PM   #7
iamkeri1

How Do You Identify?:
femme woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

1 Highscore

I look forward to a day when all of us can spend holidays with our partners AND family rather than having to "choose" as so many of us do now.

I look forward to the day when parents around the world, upon being told that their child is in love with the person of their dreams, do noy cry when they realize this chosen person is the same sex as their child.

Smooches,
Keri
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iamkeri1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2011, 01:08 PM   #8
Morgan

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, hy, hym, does not matter
Relationship Status:
I am enjoying life....

Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 1,604 Times in 411 Posts
Morgan Has the BEST ReputationMorgan Has the BEST ReputationMorgan Has the BEST ReputationMorgan Has the BEST ReputationMorgan Has the BEST ReputationMorgan Has the BEST ReputationMorgan Has the BEST ReputationMorgan Has the BEST ReputationMorgan Has the BEST ReputationMorgan Has the BEST ReputationMorgan Has the BEST Reputation

I have found that the only way to be accepted is to not hide who I am. I am proud to say that I have finally found the one person who completes me....I will lay with her and stroke her and let her know I am there, while she awaits her surgery. We have had many straight people in the hospital right now, smile a smile of acceptance as they enter her room and provide the various services she needs. I have not found one person yet at this hospital, who cannot understand how important it is to have someone special there beside you....gay, straight, etc. It does not matter, life is too important to judge others and those who do miss out on the good things in life. That is there burden, not mine and not Tamara's.....please never be ashamed of who you are. We are all special and if we hide behind other peoples' shame, then we are only shaming ourselves.

Live like there is no tomorrow and you will be fine.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:10 PM   #9
LaneyDoll

How Do You Identify?:
Girly girl femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She; Ma'am; Miss ;)
Relationship Status:
Pitbull protected.

Thanked 7,686 Times in 1,608 Posts
LaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkeri1 View Post
But I couldn't help wondering if a young queer couple would have felt as free to show their love for each other in front of me. Would they have tried to hide their feeling for fear that I would find some excuse to reject them as home buyers? And I couldn't help wonder if a straight person would have found as much joy in observing that love as I did with this young straight couple.

I long for a time when we can show our love and receive support and smiles in return.
Smooches,
Keri
Do it have to be a queer YOUNG couple?

When Riley and I are together, it is obvious that we adore each other. The last time I was at an event, someone told me "I know you really well and I know Riley fairly well and I have to say that you two just fit together.

Even my ex's new girl told me "We cannot wait to meet the person who has made you so happy."

To be plainly honest, without someone telling me what they think, I may not even realize it. When we are together, I am absorbed in him and in us. The rest of the world simply...

falls away.

Last edited by LaneyDoll; 12-22-2011 at 01:36 PM.
LaneyDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LaneyDoll For This Useful Post: