Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,863 Times in 7,834 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation
Default The New Year and YOU

I'm already thinking about the coming year and what resolutions or changes I'd like to see for my life and I thought it might be fun to have some discussion around what happened for us in 2016 and what we want for 2017.

1. Did 2016 treat you well? Tell me about your major life events or themes that kept popping up for you this past year.

2. What did you learn, accomplish, try, or overcome in 2016?

3. Do you normally make New Year's resolutions? Did you make any for 2016? If so, did you accomplish those goals or see fruits of your labor?

4. How did your relationships change in 2016?

5. Did you do any work on yourself physically in 2016? Get any new tattoos? Try a new hairstyle? Gain or lose weight? Overcome an illness? Talk about it!

6. What do you want to see happen in 2017 in your personal life? What about in the world in general?

7. What are some things you are excited about in 2017? Afraid of? Hoping for?

8. Will you be trying anything new in 2017?

9. With the current political climate, will you be doing anything specific to enact change in your local community or state? What are your plans?

10. What projects will you work on in 2017?

I realize some of these are redundant but the point is to start a conversation and maybe inject a little hope for those of us who need it for the coming year.

Here's to a joyous holiday for us all and a fabulous coming year!
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2016, 05:51 PM   #2
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,170 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

2016 did not treat me well. I lost my mother to cancer three months ago. Still reeling. Just lost. I was her caregiver, and we were close.

I learned that family, chosen or otherwise, is the most important thing. A cliche but undeniably true.

I don't recall making any resolutions last year.

I am closer to many good friends. One cousin did not show up for my mother, so he will no longer get much time or attention from me.

I am not healthy, and some of it could be made better by eating a more healthy diet and exercising. Sadly my last attempt at exercise resulted in injury. But I am getting medical treatment for the arthritis and for lung disease. I have hope.

I will be moving back to California in 2017 and will be going back to work. I am both looking forward to and frightened about those changes. Re the world, I have been trying not to think too far ahead.

I don't feel excited much right now. I want to spend more time in nature, and I will be moving to a very pretty and new to me part of CA. Looking forward to exploring.

I am going to travel more in order to keep up with friends. I just got back from a two week road trip. I might spend a month in Traverse City, Michigan next summer.

Re activism, I think transforming the Democratic Party is vital, so once I move I am going to get active in that. I will join efforts to block deportations should that come to pass.

No projects other than improving my health.
Old 12-03-2016, 02:07 PM   #3
Chad
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Loved Caregiver

Thanked 20,326 Times in 5,678 Posts
Chad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST Reputation
Default New year

Thank you Medusa,

My 2016 was great for the most part I traveled to San Diego, Dallas, NYC, and Massachusetts to see friends. My family is finally within 70 miles of each other so we see each other often. I lost weight and I am walking most days. I feel better and I walk better (newish knee).
I had a couple of bumps in the road but that is normal. I won an environmental excellence award for my work with wetlands. I love my work. Overall I am pleased with 2016.

Now for 2017, my travel schedule is filling up with trips to see friends. I am headed NE mostly but also Florida and maybe Georgia for some yummy food.

I never make resolutions but I will try to be the best version of me. I will keep walking and maybe lose a couple more pounds. 2017 is all about spending time with friends and family.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Chad For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2016, 03:47 PM   #4
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Thanked 15,248 Times in 3,064 Posts
Andrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST Reputation

1. Did 2016 treat you well? Tell me about your major life events or themes that kept popping up for you this past year.
2016 was neither good nor bad. Well except for the Presidential election. Truthfully, that ranks right up there with the long term abusive relationship I was in.

I learned that sometimes you just have to learn to live with things you don’t like. In my case a job I don’t like but don’t feel like I can make a change right now. It feels like being trapped but right now it is the right thing to do.

3. Do you normally make New Year's resolutions? Did you make any for 2016? If so, did you accomplish those goals or see fruits of your labor?
I don’t believe in NY resolutions but I have used it as a starting point in the past. I don’t remember any plans this last NY.

I had to let someone go for the second time and love from afar. I don’t think any other relationship changed.

5. Did you do any work on yourself physically in 2016? Get any new tattoos? Try a new hairstyle? Gain or lose weight? Overcome an illness? Talk about it!
I went about three months making positive changes such as more exercise, eating healthier, etc. I don’t remember what happened but every bit of it fell by the wayside.

6. What do you want to see happen in 2017 in your personal life? What about in the world in general?
We are changing medical providers as of the first of the year. I am really hoping this will help solve some of my honey’s issues and lessen my stress caused by those issues. I would also like to find a new position with the state or retire and work temp positions.

It would be lovely to see people being kinder to each other, everyone getting the medical care they need and everyone on board to stop climate change. I am not hopeful though.

I am excited about the new medical team for my honey. I am excited that my eldest grandchild may move and live in the same city we do.

I am afraid of the devil we know.

There is potential for new employment, improved health care, some travel to new places.

9. With the current political climate, will you be doing anything specific to enact change in your local community or state? What are your plans?
I am watching how the new administration is taking shape and I would love to do something in the way of helping out but I am not sure what that would look like. In the meantime, we are discussing plans to build out our basement to hide people that are at risk.

I would like to get back to yoga classes and back to de-cluttering the closets. Rene has some house projects that he would like to complete so I will probably be involved in those. Oh, and I really want to get the rental property sold.

What we think about and thank about, we bring about!

Today I will treat my body with love and respect.
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Andrea For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2016, 01:52 PM   #5
Gráinne

How Do You Identify?:
Neither, nada, out of the box
Preferred Pronoun?:
My name always works
Relationship Status:
Happy whatever happens

Thanked 7,247 Times in 1,416 Posts
Gráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST Reputation

This wasn't one of my better years. The theme seems to have been "expensive", as I had to have house repairs done and both cars (mine and my daughter's) went blooey.

On the plus side, I have found a combination of medications that seem to really help with depression/anxiety. That alone I suppose makes it a pretty good year, since if I'm not in a good place, I can't do anything else right.

Not nearly enough, partly due to #2 above but also just my lack of motivation and planning

I kinda sorta started seeing someone, but we'll see what happens . I've known her for a long time, but it seems to have changed (I'm happy about this).

I started weight training and have seen an improvement in my arms, especially my weaker left one. About the same time as #4, I chopped my hair very short and it's so much easier to care for.

I hope to nurture more friendships, including with #4 (that will be her name: #4). I want much more accomplishment. I want to be in a better place emotionally. In short, I want the best year of my life-and the best year for my country and the world.

My daughter is going to Japan for three months in March for an anime drawing class, and I shall join her for a week in June . Although I've been to China, that was with a group; this will be myself. Canada and England were relatively easy; this will be a new challenge. I'm up (or down?) for it!

If my Japanese language lessons count.

I haven't thought that far ahead but I want to do more volunteer work and be more involved with Junior League here (a service organization).

My historical novel, I'm going back to school for my masters/doctorate, completing my Toastmasters speech book. I'm sure there's more, but that's the big stuff.

I realize some of these are redundant but the point is to start a conversation and maybe inject a little hope for those of us who need it for the coming year.

Here's to a joyous holiday for us all and a fabulous coming year!

Old 12-13-2016, 07:03 PM   #6
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,863 Times in 7,834 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation
Default I'll do my own quiz! WEE!

2016 was both one of the most painful and joyous years of my life. I had a LOT of major life events but the major themes this year were "No with a period" and "You are allowed..."

I learned a lot about myself in the way of how deep my well of strength really is but also that I don't always have to be strong. That I can admit when I've had enough. I overcame my fear this year too. In huge ways.

I don't have formal resolutions but I do set intentions and think about the things I want to work on. I wanted 2016 to be the year of "More of everything good" and "Less of everything that hurts me" and that exactly happened.

A lot. Nuff' said.

I hit the lowest weight I have been at since I was 19 back in April. I've gained a bit back, 20 pounds or so, and intend to take it back off.
I have plans to get my final (and most imortant) tattoo of my life some time in 2017 when the time is right.

I want movement in my body, in my place of rest, and in my heart. I want the world to find peace. I want Donald Trump to fall off a cliff with most of the Republican party.

I am SO freaking about 2017 in so many ways. HUGE plans. HUGE changes. I'm afraid of peeing my pants before it all happens. I'm hoping I don't pee my pants in front of anyone!!
Mostly I'm excited because I feel such a renewed sense of awe with the world, with love, with general joy.

Yes, I will be cooking more things that I've never tried to make. I will be doing more yoga. I will be exploring new cities. Also thinking about taking a Krav Maga class or 10.

I will vote in ALL of my local elections and probably will end up volunteering on some local campaigns, making donations, etc.

Trimming down my body. Trimming down my possessions. Exploding my love.
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post: