Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Communication, Friendship, Getting To Know One Another

View Poll Results: How seriously do you take yourself?
Very. 26 20.63%
Pretty balanced 77 61.11%
Not at all 25 19.84%
Other 4 3.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2010, 11:16 AM   #1
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,993 Times in 2,596 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation
Default How Seriously Do You Take Yourself?

My goodness, I take myself so damn seriously sometimes it's funny. Then sometme I look back, and I just gotta laugh at my sh#t. Laugh to keep from crying (says the serious side).

How seriously do you take yourself? How seriously would you ideally do so? Where do you draw the line? Is this topic asking you to take yourself too seriously? Can you take yourself not seriously enough? Do you manage your attitudes in this regard?

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2010, 11:35 AM   #2
Mister Bent

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 5,831 Times in 1,721 Posts
Mister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST Reputation
Default I replied "pretty balanced," but...

I find myself entirely ridiculous.

Especially when I take myself seriously.

Or, when naked.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
- H. L. Mencken
Mister Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Mister Bent For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
Hack
Just a guy.

How Do You Identify?:
Just a guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
male
Relationship Status:
Sparkle's consort

Thanked 3,784 Times in 960 Posts
Hack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST Reputation

I find that as I age, I can't take myself very seriously. Life is too short to be stressed out all the time. About the only thing I take seriously is my career, and my relationship, if I were in one.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Hack For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
freyja

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

freyja has much to be proud offreyja has much to be proud offreyja has much to be proud offreyja has much to be proud offreyja has much to be proud offreyja has much to be proud offreyja has much to be proud offreyja has much to be proud offreyja has much to be proud of

There is a time and a place for everything; including serioiusness.

The older i get, the less i want to grow up.

i like little girl things, teddy bears, and sparkles, pretty colours, and crayons, playing on the swings and having water gun fights at the beach.

But then, when i put on my corporate wear, i also try to remember the matching hat of seriousness

freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to freyja For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2010, 12:23 PM   #5
Massive

How Do You Identify?:
Trans man
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him
Relationship Status:
not looking

Thanked 2,383 Times in 765 Posts
Massive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST Reputation

I only really take myself seriously when I'm having a serious sit-down discussion, or someone's really boiled ma piss!
The rest of the time I prefer walking through life with a smile and more often than not laughing at myself because I've managed to, yet again, make a complete tit of myself/dropped a major bollock!
Life's too damn short to be serious 24/7!!!

(Btw I'm British, hence the odd sayings nobody's ever heard/seen before!)
Old 05-02-2010, 12:31 PM   #6
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
A very happy Mr. Grumpy Cat

Thanked 18,942 Times in 4,709 Posts
UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation

I think I am pretty balanced. I take myself seriously when the situation warrants it. I also try to remind myself not to when I see that I am doing it too often.

I try to balance it while wearing a Mickey Watch or randomly singing Disney tunes or commercial jingles when least expected.

One perfect example was the day when I was exchanging World Cup album stickers with the President of Lufthansa Cargo while sitting in the boardroom.

One thing I do often is laugh at myself, especially while in the company of my friends
UofMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2010, 12:35 PM   #7
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,660 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Hm. I like Mr. Bent's answer.

I tend to take aspects of my life very seriously i.e. responsibilities, values, beliefs, family. When stressed, I can make Orrin Hatch look like a radical.

On the other hand, I am looking at my bag of beach toys complete with flippers, mask, snorkel, boogie board, remote control boat. I have 1 and a half tattoos of a duck on my arm/shoulder.....its a long story. I have wind up toys for bath time.

I hope I am good at being serious when I need to be, and irreverent when the mood strikes.

Regardless, I'm not as attached to things and outcomes as I used to be. What will be, will be is a good motto and a lot less stressful. And, I no longer have illusions about life, fairness, politics, employers, etc. So, it is easier to see the folly of human existence, the futility at times, and the just plain funny things people do and say.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2010, 12:35 PM   #8
Jett

How Do You Identify?:
Hardcore bullheaded grown-ass Tomboy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
she loves my shaggy hair

Location: The backroom of a night cafe plotting world domination
Thanked 3,299 Times in 568 Posts
Jett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST Reputation

Not especially, when I have, it's given myself some of my best laughs. I don't take people who take themselves too seriously, too seriously either... though they don't think it's quite as funny... :l
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jett For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2010, 12:52 PM   #9
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

If I don't, who will?
There is a time and place for everything.
I do enjoy being silly, but in the grand scheme of things balance in all things.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2010, 01:29 PM   #10
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Dominant Stone Butch Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 22,784 Times in 4,469 Posts
BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

There are times when I need to take myself seriously to give myself a kick in the ass. Overall, I do find the more I can just laugh at myself (which I do do quite often) the easier it is to get through life.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2010, 01:35 PM   #11
Unndunn

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
doesn't matter to me
Relationship Status:
single

Unndunn Has the BEST ReputationUnndunn Has the BEST ReputationUnndunn Has the BEST ReputationUnndunn Has the BEST ReputationUnndunn Has the BEST ReputationUnndunn Has the BEST ReputationUnndunn Has the BEST ReputationUnndunn Has the BEST ReputationUnndunn Has the BEST ReputationUnndunn Has the BEST ReputationUnndunn Has the BEST Reputation
Default Not at all

I try not to take myself too seriously. It has nothing to do with not feeling proud of my accomplishments or having self-confidence; it's about being able to keep perspective and realize that I'm just one of about 6 billion people on this planet. The sun doesn't rise and set just for me. I don't ever want to get to a point in my life where I can't laugh at myself or revel in the absurdity of many aspects of my life.
Unndunn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unndunn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2010, 02:56 PM   #12
Heart

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
rainbows!

Thanked 2,531 Times in 412 Posts
Heart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST Reputation

Am I the only one who takes themselves damn seriously? Doesn't mean I'm not balanced. Well maybe... at times... just a bit unhinged.
Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Heart For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2010, 03:06 PM   #13
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

I take myself seriously. I have had others interferre with my life, and livelyhood, and that is when I learned about life & living. It is each man for himself in today's world.

Good thread Nat. I enjoy reading what others have to say. Thanks!

Andrew
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2010, 03:55 PM   #14
Enchantress

How Do You Identify?:
A complex confection.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Miss

Thanked 3,421 Times in 1,201 Posts
Enchantress Has the BEST ReputationEnchantress Has the BEST ReputationEnchantress Has the BEST ReputationEnchantress Has the BEST ReputationEnchantress Has the BEST ReputationEnchantress Has the BEST ReputationEnchantress Has the BEST ReputationEnchantress Has the BEST ReputationEnchantress Has the BEST ReputationEnchantress Has the BEST ReputationEnchantress Has the BEST Reputation

Today, much too seriously.

But most of the time I find that humour (regarding life and myself) is my friend and life coach.
Enchantress is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enchantress For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2010, 04:09 PM   #15
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

Only
when I pay taxes and fines
during scuffles
working with marketing directors
and creative directors
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jet For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2010, 04:16 PM   #16
Duchess

How Do You Identify?:
Absolute Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Toe curling :-)

2 Highscores

Thanked 5,591 Times in 1,521 Posts
Duchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST Reputation

Serious enough to not take words for granted, relaxed enough to be able to laugh at myself.

Duchess
Old 05-02-2010, 07:22 PM   #17
Lynn

How Do You Identify?:
Unabashed Feminine Lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her, She
Relationship Status:
Married!

Thanked 2,416 Times in 504 Posts
Lynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST Reputation

There have been times that I took myself so seriously, I couldn't enjoy anything. That was a long time ago. Then, I had a few years, not that long ago, when I felt much more balanced and healthy. Lately, I'm noticing signs of seriousness and I don't like it at all. It's one thing to have a functional philosophy of life, but it's another thing entirely to be able to live it out in real life. My opinion: far too many of us struggle with finding that balance, no matter how philosophical we want to be about it.
that love costs all we are
and will ever be.
Yet it is only love
which sets us free.

Maya Angelou

Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lynn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2010, 01:54 AM   #18
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Overall, my view of myself is fairly balanced. I do have those 'my world is ending' moments and I'm entirely egocentric and very serious in regard to whatever it is that I am dealing with but I also have those moments where I can choose to laugh at myself and/or the situation or sit and cry. Most of the time, I choose to find the humor in the situation.

I'm very serious when it comes to my livelihood and money, my friends and family (in a protective, mafia love kind of way), and my intimate relationships. The rest I have to learn to laugh at or go mad.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2010, 09:50 AM   #19
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,384 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

I take myself and my needs very seriously, while at the same time being pretty fun.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:15 AM   #20
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Pinky's mommy :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Thanked 1,502 Times in 637 Posts
cinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputation

Myself? Not at all...
I think life is both a cruel joke, and a gift - depends on the day and my mood...

The is an organ of fire.
cinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cinderella For This Useful Post: