Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Communication, Friendship, Getting To Know One Another

Old 01-23-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
Blade
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
TG
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
once in a while someone amazing comes along...and here I am!

Thanked 14,399 Times in 4,049 Posts
Blade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST Reputation
Default Our Answers To Big Questions

I have a book called The Little Book of Big Questions. It has some interesting questions for thought in it, also has the author's idea of an answer.

I'll post a question for discussion, probably not every day but once or twice a week. Lets hear your views, who knows we may come across something we need to make a new thread topic for.

Question #1 1-23-11

What makes people wish for things they don't have?

The best way to predict the future, is to create it.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blade For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2011, 11:38 AM   #2
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Arrow

Greed, Lust, Desire, Fantasy, Fetishizing, Hunger.
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2011, 11:48 AM   #3
Blade
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
TG
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:

Blade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST Reputation

Yep I thought of those things Snowy....I also thought of need.

Then again I thought of myself who has been quite blessed but still wish for things that I don't have. Certainly there are things I will never have. Then again there are things that will make my dreams and wishes come true.

I guess our wishes could be monetary, financial, emotional...could be a lot of things. But I think you are mostly right in your post. I think though we wish for things we don't have, the wishing gives us the drive to success, so that we can attain those wishes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Blade For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2011, 11:57 AM   #4
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:

The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Arrow

There's a difference between need and want, I answered from my own POV.. You're right though if you don't have what we call basic needs, then need is something I should of addressed.
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The Following User Says Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,603 Times in 3,972 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

I think its more complicated than just listing the seven deadly sins or a similar list.

if that were so, people of simplere cultures than ours would also covet things they did not have and that just isnt so across the board. At least not in the degree we Americans see. And not even across the board in all the strataspheres in our own culture. The key to coveting is in the degree of capitalism that one participates in or is subjected to. Before TV, if one was poor, people often claimed they didnt know they were poor and didnt care if the neighbors had more or less. In fact, if someone fell on hard times, they helped one another. Thus the beauty and long fascination with Its a Wonderful Life.

But along comes the era where there is a tv in every home...then in every room..then in every car...on now on our computers, which every person in the family now has one of. And if thats not enough, their personal phones can now access the web which accesses the media, which accesses all the global media you could dream of.

and what goes along with that?

commercials. We are a better fed consumer with more to select from. And we are creating faster than our wallets can keep up. And just as we acquire, the next new thing is created and we desire...

I am 54 and dirt poor. I have a very old dell laptop. I have a free cell phone that only can call and send texts. It looks like a half a candy bar. My sister just got some new fangled do dad and she is stuggling to make it stop saying whorehouse when she wants to say whitehouse. I am not coveting that. But others are. I have a threadworn couch. My niece who is on welfare took her tax check last year and bought a $2000 living room set. Because she coveted her sister's expensive leather living room set. She could have used that money to pay bills but she had to have the material thing to compensate her need to be as good as her sister. I didnt. I couldnt. I wouldnt have anyway. I like my old couch. I will probably have it until I die. It fits my personality and even if I somehow land alot of money, I could use that money to pay bills or add more seed to my bird feeders.

I dont watch alot of tv. I dont read alot of magazines. When I am on the computer I really dont go to places where there are commercials. I am not a product of capitalism. I dont covet. Except of course, for a horse.

So thats my answer...capitalism.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2011, 12:13 PM   #6
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:

Arrow

I don't subscribe to the Christian theory of "deadly sins" it's clearly obvious humans reek of greed. I posted from my own POV, which comes from my experiences of culture, race, classism and down right being honest with myself.

I want a Vespa, do I need one? No my greed wants it though black -n- pink...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2011, 12:46 PM   #7
moxie

How Do You Identify?:
a cynical princess wannabe
Preferred Pronoun?:
lipgloss junkie
Relationship Status:
yep

Thanked 6,770 Times in 1,847 Posts
moxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputation

It all depends on what one is wishing for. And if it is a want or a need. And there are different types of needs (look at Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs).

I have everything I need to meet my survival needs: food, shelter, clothing. If I had to wish for any of that, I would be wishing for it to survive.

If I wished for a blu-ray dvd player (which I do a teensy bit), it's because I want it. My materialistic self wants a fancy dvd player even though I can't notice the benefits of it because of my tv. Then I'll want an HDTV....it's just keeps going and building into the snowball rolling down the hill getting bigger and bigger.

I wish for a pseudo-family because my family disowned me. That meets my need for belonging. That is subjective though because not everyone needs the same things that I do in order to function on a healthy level and feel fulfilled.

So, I guess, what I am trying to say is that I believe what makes people wish for things are based on wants and needs. There are basic human needs and individual needs.

This makes sense to me, I don't know if it does to anyone else.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:50 PM   #8
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:

Arrow

Makes sense!! You made me examine myself cause like you I looked for and have my chosen family out of need, not having made the want and need for me as a pack animal.

The Following User Says Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2011, 12:50 PM   #9
Blade
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
TG
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:

I agree with you both. I never had a TV in my room or a phone in my room and now days everyone in a house hold have their own personal everything. Greed desire and fantasy are also a driving force

I remember as a teen my girlfriend at the time had her own phone line she and her brother shared. In the phone book it said **** and under that it said kids line - - - . I thought that was cool and wanted my own phone...chuckling of course that didn't happen. We couldn't even get call waiting cuz you can only talk to one person at the time anyway.....or that's what my parents said.

I think I have been blessed, with a good paying job and my parents had good jobs when they worked. We weren't rich but we had all we needed and much that we wanted. There were those things we wanted and were told no or when you are grown and can afford this or that you can buy your own. Thus my motor head fetishes.

Really all I wish I had at this time that I don't need is a boat and a tractor. I need the tractor but I've been this long without one. Well and I wish I had the money to work on my house....it's getting to where that is a need.

I do believe much of our coveting comes from seeing what others have, and peer pressure.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:09 PM   #10
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

Im not shure if this is the right anser to the question,but hear is my take on things.
In another life a long time a go I had the passion for anything with horses,sepecialy rodeo's and horse shows.Over the years I acomplished many goals I set..almost.Shure I had some big winns at major events,rode and showed some fantastic horses over the years.I figured I colectively spent some where in the quarter million dollar range in bucks on horses,clothes to show them with,fancy silver mounted sadles with all the extras,the winter blankets and some that only were worn at the shows.Trucks,trailers..my last rig cost me $57,587.00.The truck was a big dully with all the bells and whistles..the trailes was a house on wheels for me and my equine buddy..no hotel for me cause the trailer had it all.I didnt think it would ever end,but it did and not like I wanted it to either..well folks it was a high fall with a crash and burn that I may not ever recover from.Oh,im not taking about money..its about what I started with,what I did along the way,the high ride for a long time...then health probs hit that just took it all away in a flash.Now dont think I havent tryed to get back in the swing of it,but cause of the health issues it hasnt worked out..im thinking it just wont happen no mater what I do.Yes,I keep pluging along and am doing ok.I live in a nice place,nice car,decent job with $$ in the bank..two fur kids that are the light of my life,my son who is the best thing I ever did in this world.But im still looking for the bits and peices of me that got lost along the way,if I dont find them I will be ok..just a little less of who I thought I was.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #11
Blade
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
TG
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:

so it seems most of us wish for money, so we can have the things we wish for. Yep I'd be guilty of that. Truth is I have everything I need and wanting or wishing I had hasn't hurt me yet.

on another note, I'm sure there are folks that wish for personal things they don't have. I know I had several friends growing up that wished their family was like mine....as in they were from broken homes. Another friend wished her parents weren't alcoholics, course at the time I didn't realize mine were. So maybe all the things we wish for aren't necessarily concrete things.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:47 PM   #12
Blade
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
TG
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:

Question #2
Why does money make some people proud and others humble?

Hmmm I guess I've had my proud moments about money and I've had my humble moments with it as well. Lemme think on this one.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:52 PM   #13
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:

Arrow

Proud- you can do things for loved ones, give to those who have helped you

Humble- when you have nothing and then you're blessed, it alters your life and it's humbling or can be.

It all depends on the individual.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2011, 06:22 PM   #14
Blade
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
TG
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:

I think in the times I've been proud of my money is because I knew I earned it and I could do with it whatever I wanted to. Funny thing is I'm a simple person and when I've made/had plenty of money, I could go to the store or mall or whatever and not see a thing I couldn't live without. I don't buy name brand clothes or try to keep up with the Jones.

As a rule I'm more humbled when I have money and tend to share it.

Be back in a bit have a little issue going on

Old 01-24-2011, 06:49 PM   #15
sylvie

How Do You Identify?:
Mr Mtn's babygirl
Preferred Pronoun?:
girly, she
Relationship Status:
fiercely protected ♥

Thanked 7,501 Times in 1,850 Posts
sylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
Question #2

Hmmm I guess I've had my proud moments about money and I've had my humble moments with it as well. Lemme think on this one.

first off, love this thread Blade, thank you! something that makes me think & dust the cobwebs off this 'ol brain of mine =)

i can understand both aspects of it, money can make me proud, as well as humble.. i grew up in poverty, and lived in poverty for a duration of some years as a single mother - and am proud to have pushed myself to where i am today, because i strived for better.. i'm not rich (though i am rich in many other ways in life), but financially i still struggle here & there, but i am definitely proud when i have moments i can afford something so simple like a grocery order or maintaining my bills, and being able to save my money to purchase the things we need..

in the same sense, i am humbled by the fact i know the struggles well, and if i could take my last dollar to help another, i would & will do it in a heartbeat so long as it isn't a situation i don't feel as though i am disrespected or feel like i am being used.. i am learning to stretch my dollar as far as it will go, appreciating the smaller things in life and doing my best to help those who are where i have once been.. it's all about paying it forward..

did i stray from the question? i hope not, i know what i'm trying to say, lol.. Gabby girl at her finest right here..*smiles*

my facebook weight loss page:
http://www.facebook.com/asyllyjourney
sylvie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sylvie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2011, 07:04 PM   #16
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

Hmmmm, am i not thinking about this correctly? Isn't being proud of anything at the same time being humbled? I mean if you are proud then IMO there is an inner sanctioned emotion that digs deep into a place that you've "earned" or "received" or "garnished" something that you once didn't have and feel good about that.

Isn't that being humbled too?

I would say if i ever had a lot of money, i would be both proud and humbled. .....At the same time.

Great thread.
Maya Angelou
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2011, 07:56 PM   #17
Blade
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
TG
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:

OK issue over.....now I've lost my train of thought...happens when ya get my age....

Umm I'll tell you what has been real humbling for me is my financial situation the past 2 yrs. $5 is a lot of money when you need $6 for gas to go to work one more day before payday. I've been especially humbled by not having the financial resources I'm accustom to having.

Though I am a relatively humble person anyway, I will still be both proud and humbled by money when I get my financial feet back under me again.

Thank yall for posting and for sharing...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blade For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2011, 08:36 PM   #18
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,657 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Question #1 1-23-11

What makes people wish for things they don't have?
A void. It may be emotional, spiritual, financial or psychological.

Quote:
Question #2
[/B][/COLOR]
I think limiting the choices to just two is a bit of a disservice to the question. They could have worded it better, I think.

Money does a lot of things to people. If offers freedom, peace of mind, fear, insecurity, pride, greed, jealousy, hope, joy, et cetera and so on and so forth. It depends on each person's situation and their level of integrity.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2011, 08:50 PM   #19
Blade
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
TG
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
A void. It may be emotional, spiritual, financial or psychological.

I think limiting the choices to just two is a bit of a disservice to the question. They could have worded it better, I think.

Money does a lot of things to people. If offers freedom, peace of mind, fear, insecurity, pride, greed, jealousy, hope, joy, et cetera and so on and so forth. It depends on each person's situation and their level of integrity.
I didn't like the way it was worded either Gemme. I think for more people than not proud and humble are not words I'd typically use to describe people with money.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:02 PM   #20
Blade
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
TG
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:

1-25-11 Question

Is there really such a thing as "the generation gap"? Why or Why not?