Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Careers, Work, Business

Old 12-14-2012, 09:04 PM   #281
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,369 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

Thanks, but my kids aren't ID, but SDC. In my district, ID kids get workability. RSP kids get to go to the fabulous career tech half day school -- which is modern and huge and gives certificates in things that allow them to move directly into good jobs.

But SDC kids get neither. The Career school won't let SDC kids in. Workability only serves ID kids except for assessments. So SDC kids, those in between ID and RSP, who really need access to training programs, get sent off to community college programs, which they have less chance of succeeding in.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2012, 09:09 PM   #282
txdoc
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
Wrangled

txdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
Thanks, but my kids aren't ID, but SDC. In my district, ID kids get workability. RSP kids get to go to the fabulous career tech half day school -- which is modern and huge and gives certificates in things that allow them to move directly into good jobs.

But SDC kids get neither. The Career school won't let SDC kids in. Workability only serves ID kids except for assessments. So SDC kids, those in between ID and RSP, who really need access to training programs, get sent off to community college programs, which they have less chance of succeeding in.
Trying to understand. Not familiar with acronym SDC.
txdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to txdoc For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #283
Galahad

How Do You Identify?:
do I have to?
Relationship Status:
single

Galahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST Reputation

That's awful. I know that the community college programs are just not working for many sdc kids. The coffee shop is where some of the sdc students work while in high school or just out of.
If we only had the money to set things like this up. The money, time and energy...
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Galahad For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2012, 10:02 PM   #284
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdoc View Post
Trying to understand. Not familiar with acronym SDC.
It stands for Special Day Class. It is used for kids who spend more than fifty percent of the day in self-contained special education classes. RSP -- Resource kids -- spend less than fifty percent of their time in self-contained (all Special Ed) classes. Often they just have a support class or two.

SDC students sometimes have more or more serious learning disabilities, emotional disabilities, or lower IQ. Sometimes their not that serious learning disabilities have been neglected and they just ended up many grade levels behind. But they are not ID (Intellectually Disabled or Mentally Retarded). For whatever reason or reasons, it is hard for SDC students to succeed in school.

More districts are trying to include SDC students in General Ed classes for more of the day. It is good for them socially -- most of them -- but most districts do not have the resources to do it successfully and SDC kids start flunking out. Great idea, but so hard to do in schools with large class sizes and stressed to the max teachers.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2012, 08:30 AM   #285
txdoc
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
Wrangled

txdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputation
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
It stands for Special Day Class. It is used for kids who spend more than fifty percent of the day in self-contained special education classes. RSP -- Resource kids -- spend less than fifty percent of their time in self-contained (all Special Ed) classes. Often they just have a support class or two.

SDC students sometimes have more or more serious learning disabilities, emotional disabilities, or lower IQ. Sometimes their not that serious learning disabilities have been neglected and they just ended up many grade levels behind. But they are not ID (Intellectually Disabled or Mentally Retarded). For whatever reason or reasons, it is hard for SDC students to succeed in school.

More districts are trying to include SDC students in General Ed classes for more of the day. It is good for them socially -- most of them -- but most districts do not have the resources to do it successfully and SDC kids start flunking out. Great idea, but so hard to do in schools with large class sizes and stressed to the max teachers.
Thank you. We don't use that terminology. We code by numbers. Same reporting requirements. In our district, we commit a significant amount of funds to inclusion support and co-teaching. Even at the high school level, I have inclusion teachers in every content area class. We use as little resource as possible. Our kids are more successful on state standards if they stay in the general education setting. All our resource teachers are also highly qualified in special ed and the content area they teach. We have dramatically increased the rigor and relevance of the instruction for all of our students but continue to put necessary supports in place. I also have a dedicated and competent behavioral support team who works diligently to build resilience for our kids with ed. When we have to go more restrictive, we have an award winning campus which includes a therapeutic milieu so that we can keep kids out of .hospitalization. Can you tell I love my job and my district?
txdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to txdoc For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #286
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,119 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation

Is waking up on a Saturday with the realization you don't have to go to work one of the best feelings--ever!? I thought, for a moment or two, I had to get up and get dressed and start the teaching day...slowly dawned on me...nope! I also got a whack of essays done this week but have another pile(s) waiting for me. I take Saturdays off entirely, though!

Today is definitely a ME day.

Wishing you all a great weekend.
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2012, 04:51 PM   #287
bkisbutchenuff
PPoA - Southern Gentle Butch

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, he, him, handsome, Daddy
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Thanked 10,845 Times in 2,247 Posts
bkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Haven't posted anything about yesterdays tragedy...I think because it hit so close to home...all the innocence taken out by an unstable young man...in a place once thought to be safe from such acts...

and

as innocent lives are taken....other innocent children do great things...students auditioned for the Honor Orchestra last Sat. and today. 4 passed the audition and 4 did not....I am so proud of their efforts!

"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand." Randy Pausch.
bkisbutchenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2012, 09:18 PM   #288
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Rest in Peace --

Victoria Soto -- Teacher
Mary Sherlach -- School Psychologist
Dawn Hochspring -- Principal
Rachel Davino -- Aide
Anne Marie Murphey -- Aide
Lauren Rousseau -- Teacher

And thanks and gratitude to all the staff who risked their lives to save children, the clerks, the custodians, the aides, the teachers.

They made me proud to be a public school teacher.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 03:30 AM   #289
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

bkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

We ca do this!

"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand." Randy Pausch.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 04:21 PM   #290
JustLovelyJenn

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
That's Need to Know

Thanked 13,995 Times in 3,685 Posts
JustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST Reputation

There was so much activity at our school today. The superintendent was there, as were maintenance crews, ensuring that the buildings security measures were in place. Teachers are being told to keep their door shut for large portions of the day and locked. More supervision is being placed outside at recess. The atmosphere was sad, and anxious, as I am sure so many of those in the building were thinking the same thing as I was. What if it had been our school, our coworkers, our children?

I haven't said much about this tragedy because it brings me to tears at the thought of the lost lives of my fellow educators and the innocent children under their guard. But as I have read and listened to the aftermath of this horrific event, I feel that if I do not talk about it... the sorrow may be overwhelming.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:13 PM   #291
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustLovelyJenn View Post
There was so much activity at our school today. The superintendent was there, as were maintenance crews, ensuring that the buildings security measures were in place. Teachers are being told to keep their door shut for large portions of the day and locked. More supervision is being placed outside at recess. The atmosphere was sad, and anxious, as I am sure so many of those in the building were thinking the same thing as I was. What if it had been our school, our coworkers, our children?

I haven't said much about this tragedy because it brings me to tears at the thought of the lost lives of my fellow educators and the innocent children under their guard. But as I have read and listened to the aftermath of this horrific event, I feel that if I do not talk about it... the sorrow may be overwhelming.

Yes...it is hard to wrap your head around this... I couldn't post anything at first...I posted the following earlier today on my fb page:

'Spent the morning, as I'm sure most educators in the USA - and elsewhere did, going over Intruder Alert and Procedures.....fielded many questions....so very sad.'

Wasn't ready to go there, but had no choice. The students had mixed responses....

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2012, 03:42 AM   #292
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

Enuff said....

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2012, 03:28 AM   #293
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

Happy Hump Day!

......more days!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #294
JustLovelyJenn

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
That's Need to Know

Thanked 13,995 Times in 3,685 Posts
JustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST Reputation

So, while I am working as a para-educator I am also working towards my teaching certification in special education. My goal is to work with the severe needs population in either a life skills or behavior classroom at the middle or high school level. In my past experience working with special needs students as a para and as a volunteer, I have been exposed to many different types of teaching strategies and the one that really interests me for these specific children is a project based learning program.

One classroom I worked with grew and sold garlic, incorporating science and measurements for growing and fertilizing, mathematics for inventory and sales, and English for advertising and reports. A group my brother was involved with received a grant to distribute to a local non profit organization. The class had to write the grant parameters, create an application, interview applicants, and write a news release, they also held an event to present the moneys to the winning applicants.

In my experience these project based programs drew in kids who would have otherwise been unwilling to participate and helped them to achieve academic goals while also feeling like they were part of a group and that what they did mattered, not only to them but to the community as a whole.

I am curious how many of you have worked with similar programs and what types of projects you used. I am hoping to compile and research a number of project based learning ideas before I complete my degree.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:53 AM   #295
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

Almost......so close - yet so far away...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2012, 03:46 AM   #296
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2012, 04:40 AM   #297
sis
Diva!

How Do You Identify?:
StoneFemme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
Content!

Thanked 1,401 Times in 296 Posts
sis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

40 minutes into a full week off! Cup of tea at my side, Kindle all fired up, holiday music playing in the background and just chilling! Oh, and it appears the world has not ended yet!
sis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sis For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2012, 04:53 AM   #298
Chancie

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme-inist
Relationship Status:
I'm lucky.

1 Highscore

Thanked 14,331 Times in 2,662 Posts
Chancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST Reputation

I'm giving a quiz today.

:eventhoughwedidn'tfinishtheunit:
Chancie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chancie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2012, 05:04 AM   #299
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Queer (gender), female (biological marker)
Preferred Pronoun?:
she will work as a default.
Relationship Status:
*engaged to jac* until 8/10/14

Thanked 15,802 Times in 2,905 Posts
spritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST Reputation

I am so very grateful for the holiday break. Time to rejuvenate and spend with family. I work with fabulous children and I know I am lucky in that respect.

In other threads I talk about working in crazyville. The school is headed by 2 very difficult to work with administrators (principal and vice principal). They often provide me with SMH moments. This week was no exception...

They announced big staffing changes with the paraprofessionals coming up when we come back but we don't know what they are yet and won't until we get back. Nothing like time to plan for them. What lead to the staffing changes is "student needs". Like they hired someone to work 1:1 with our most impaired student who has no sped experience and no desire to work with sped children (they told the person they hired she'd be doing something else). Now mind you someone in the building with experience wanted the position but they decided to not do that.

The list goes on and on. I've go to let it go!
So the winter break is well timed.
spritzerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to spritzerJ For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2012, 01:41 AM   #300
sis
Diva!

How Do You Identify?:
StoneFemme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
Content!

Thanked 1,401 Times in 296 Posts
sis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Well, not one to complain about a couple of extra days off from work .... I just found out that the school I work for will be closed Monday AND Tuesday! WOOT!!!!
Oh! Please do!
Oh! Please!
Oh!
sis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sis For This Useful Post:

Tags
careers, educators, gltb, network