Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > RELATIONSHIPS, COMMUNITY, GROUPS > Parenting

Parenting This area is for discussing parenting, adoption and anything related to raising our kids!

Old 12-01-2014, 08:14 AM   #1
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Thanked 21,362 Times in 6,714 Posts
kittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputation
Arrow Helpful Tips on Raising a Happy Child

It's not easy raising a healthy, happy, child. I would like to devote this thread to parents that are in the process of trying to do this. Please share your thoughts, experience, helpful tips and ideas here. It takes a village! Please share, thank you
kittygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to kittygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2014, 08:17 AM   #2
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

kittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputation
Default Edwin The Duck-Adorable Cuteness thats Useful!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kittygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2014, 08:42 AM   #3
A. Spectre

How Do You Identify?:
Butch dominant lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Baby Boi
Relationship Status:
She is my sunrise and sunset.

Thanked 10,781 Times in 1,440 Posts
A. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST Reputation

in the midst of so much madness, knowing your child is free to discuss ANYTHING with you is integral.

no matter the topic, no matter the hour, no matter the day.

try never to relay your own predisposed prejudices or fears into her/him.
A. Spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to A. Spectre For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2014, 09:02 AM   #4
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,815 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

Firm and loving limits and boundaries are very critical. Kids really do crave limits. I am not talking about being an inflexible (based on situation) rigid, disciplinarian; but clearly letting kids know what is acceptable and what is not.

Family dinners, to the best of your ability, are also very important.

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #5
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Anya* View Post
Firm and loving limits and boundaries are very critical. Kids really do crave limits. I am not talking about being an inflexible (based on situation) rigid, disciplinarian; but clearly letting kids know what is acceptable and what is not.

Family dinners, to the best of your ability, are also very important.
Family dinners, Family night, should be positive supportive safe places for children to express themselves, learn manners, sharing a greater sense of belonging and fitting in. Home should be a welcome haven from the outside world.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kittygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2014, 09:40 AM   #6
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,960 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Setting clear limits, letting them know what is expected of them as part of the family, and loving them in spite of themselves.
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2014, 09:51 AM   #7
~ocean
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme *blows a kiss off my finger tips **
Preferred Pronoun?:
~ hey girl ~
Relationship Status:
~ single & content ~

Thanked 16,131 Times in 4,736 Posts
~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation

~~~ ^ 5 my sisters and butch bros. ~~~ I am enjoying seeing how much love and understanding there is right here in the Planet ~~ threw the years I didn't have any femme friends w/ children ~ I always got that invitation for adults only for a Sunday afternoon pool party ~ I never would attend because Sundays was family day and still is ~~ ~ ty for respecting our familys
Old 12-01-2014, 09:59 AM   #8
A. Spectre

How Do You Identify?:
Butch dominant lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Baby Boi
Relationship Status:

A. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST Reputation

this thread is going to be chock full of sage advice, i just know it.

as parents, let us never forget to share humor with our child. show them that it is okay and awesome to be silly, goofy and laugh. laugh. and laugh some more.

yes, of course we parents are the adults but please break into foolishness from to time. don't be so stiff. i see so many folks my age, so humor-less, so devoid of what life can be.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to A. Spectre For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2014, 03:22 PM   #9
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Default Kid-Friendly Veggies

"Eat your veggies, they are good for you" was always greeted with various icky faces with not much success, so I found different ways to introduce veggies without making it a battle. Here are a few:

I made a "No, thank you" bite rule. They had to try it at least once before they could say, no thanks.

I pureed raw or cooked veggies into meatloaf, fruit smoothies etc. (this worked excellently!)

I introduced new veggies by renaming them something appealing to a child
carrots became pinnochio pencils, spinach became silly grass, broccoli became jillybean trees

I mixed dried fruit into raw veggies (i still do this for myself)

Try it raw, instead of cooking them! Cut and slice and make little faces, or animals and serve them on their own individual plates

Plant a garden together-I had mine help me with pea patch and i never had any problems with peas! There is nothing more yummy then picking a pod and eating raw peas out of it.

Lastly-cook with your kids, have them help you by casually making them in charge of the veggies. This almost always worked because they wanted to taste what they had made.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kittygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2014, 04:43 PM   #10
Candelion

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her/you
Relationship Status:
He can till my field.

Thanked 4,035 Times in 897 Posts
Candelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Children know how to play...don't micromanage their playtime. Let them teach you.
Candelion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Candelion For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2014, 04:51 PM   #11
Gráinne

How Do You Identify?:
Neither, nada, out of the box
Preferred Pronoun?:
My name always works
Relationship Status:
Happy whatever happens

Thanked 7,247 Times in 1,416 Posts
Gráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST Reputation

Don't raise them overly worried about "happiness" . Raise them to be curious , resilient, and disciplined. Happy will take care of itself.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:36 PM   #12
MysticOceansFL

How Do You Identify?:
Butch,
Preferred Pronoun?:
People call me by my nic name.
Relationship Status:
Not Single, Not Desperate.

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,720 Posts
MysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST Reputation

I don't have any children but, I do have six nieces and six nephews all at some point have stayed with me for two weeks during the summer and I've always let them bake with me whatever I'm baking at the time but I think it's important to read bed time stories to kids to help give them imagination.

It is said, " Some lives are linked across time.....

Connected by an ancient calling that echoes through the ages "......
MysticOceansFL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MysticOceansFL For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2014, 08:31 PM   #13
cricket26

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
must be love on the brain

Thanked 4,250 Times in 1,297 Posts
cricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputation

i raised two children a boy and a girl...and the first 5 years are the most important...you will mold most of their personality and learn most of their strengths and weaknesses in those first 5 years...use those years wisely...and cherish them deeply....you wont regret it

cricket26 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cricket26 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2014, 08:44 PM   #14
Vivacious1

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme
Relationship Status:
taken

3 Highscores

Vivacious1 Has the BEST ReputationVivacious1 Has the BEST ReputationVivacious1 Has the BEST ReputationVivacious1 Has the BEST ReputationVivacious1 Has the BEST ReputationVivacious1 Has the BEST ReputationVivacious1 Has the BEST ReputationVivacious1 Has the BEST ReputationVivacious1 Has the BEST ReputationVivacious1 Has the BEST ReputationVivacious1 Has the BEST Reputation

I am assisting in raising my niece... the things I have learned that matter most are, Structure, Accountability and Don't sweat the small stuff... Praise often and correct when needed, but make sure the good stuff always outweighs the bad!
Old 12-02-2014, 07:24 PM   #15
cricket26

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
must be love on the brain

Thanked 4,250 Times in 1,297 Posts
cricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputation

this post on my facebook by a basketball coach reminded me that team sports really do reinforce some core values...both of my children played soccer, neither were very good...but both are more well rounded for having played on a team of their peers...if your child is not athletic, a non physical team can reinforce the same values...and parents of other team members can be of great moral support...

cricket26 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cricket26 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2014, 07:36 PM   #16
Blade
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
TG
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
once in a while someone amazing comes along...and here I am!

Thanked 14,399 Times in 4,049 Posts
Blade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST Reputation

When punishment is necessary, be clear and make sure your child understands why they are in trouble. Don't just assume that they know and understand what they did wrong. Also make the punishment fit the crime.

I saw someone post something about have fun with your child. You want fun? Have a water balloon fight in the house with your child, they will think you are soooo cool! LOL mine did.

Teach your child to be responsible and respectful. These 2 things will go a long way, in every situation in their life.

The best way to predict the future, is to create it.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Blade For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2014, 08:15 PM   #17
A. Spectre

How Do You Identify?:
Butch dominant lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Baby Boi
Relationship Status:

i was raised with being highly competitive, in sports and academics.

my daughter made it fairly clear early on that she would prefer not to compete. in. anything.

must admit that was difficult for me in the beginning, so with time and understanding what makes her tick, i get it now. (for her)

it has paid off not to push what was important to me growing up onto her. now, she is becoming her own person, not just a mirror image of me.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to A. Spectre For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2014, 11:41 PM   #18
Bèsame*
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femm
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
☀️☀️☀️

Thanked 39,475 Times in 10,186 Posts
Bèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST Reputation

Learn to see life thru their eyes, you will be happy too!

A kiss is a whisper in your mouth.
Can I borrow a kiss? I promise to give it back.
Bèsame* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bèsame* For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2014, 12:16 AM   #19
ProfPacker

How Do You Identify?:
butch/MOC
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy/hym/hys but in circumstances like work and some other places she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 4,816 Times in 1,187 Posts
ProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST Reputation

All these things make sense. I have learned to also let them start to take responsibility for their consequences, you will not be in the world with them all the time.

Be honest, like someone said, don't sweat the small stuff, choose your battle.

Be there to listen, respect their space and privacy. Trust that even though as teens they become subhuman, they will pull out of it and have a sense of respect and kindness and empathy for others if you model that.

(I finally learned that going ballistic at times does nothing except get tears from all and a sore throat) lol
ProfPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ProfPacker For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2014, 02:02 AM   #20
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

When I was 10 I had a big issue with an uncle abusing me,I told my mom and she didn't be leave me.This happened again when another uncle call me a worthless chunk of s87t while she was standing there and did not a thing about it ever.Thank goodness my grannie stood up for me and did take care of the issue, big time.By mom ding this set the tone of a distrustful and bad relationship
that never got better ever.Please don't let this happen to you and your child.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post: