Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 05-23-2010, 10:27 PM   #41
Gryph

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Married to a wonderful girl

Gryph Has the BEST ReputationGryph Has the BEST ReputationGryph Has the BEST ReputationGryph Has the BEST ReputationGryph Has the BEST ReputationGryph Has the BEST ReputationGryph Has the BEST ReputationGryph Has the BEST ReputationGryph Has the BEST ReputationGryph Has the BEST ReputationGryph Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post
The cheese is INSIDE. Where the bacon should be.

You will ruin your hands, eating the sandwich with bacon on the outside! And anything you touch will get ruined too.

Does TOO look like an armadillo.

LOL!!! How can someone ruin their hands? Hands are washable and so are clothes!
Love ya, even if it doesn't look like an armadillo to me.

"The three things that bring the most balance into my life, Will, Intent and Purpose. With out these there is no honor." - Storm Cloud Woman
Gryph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:34 PM   #42
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,264 Posts
Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

I love you too, you bacony-hands-person.

Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:19 PM   #43
Ursy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Engaged

Ursy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST Reputation

If you ask me, it looks like a giant bacon maggot.
Ewwww.
Ursy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:09 PM   #44
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

....or a pillbug. well, except it's not black.

I got nuthin' good today except that for dessert, we're gonna have berries and yogurt. I like it sweetened so I mixed honey with the yogurt, and I always sweeten the berries as well.

Oh wait, Ursy, you asked about yogurt, didn't you? Yes, I have made my own. I read a lot of how-to blogs for making it in a crockpot and finally decided to experiment. I scalded 8 cups (half a gallon) of milk on the stove (used a meat thermometer to make sure it hit 180 degrees), then let it cool to 110 (again used the thermometer). I had heated a clean crock from my crockpot by filling it with steaming hot water, and I also preheated my oven to "warm" then turned it off.

Once the milk cooled to 110, I dumped the water out of the crock and poured the milk in. Then I mixed a little of the warm milk into a cup of Greek yogurt (any yogurt with active cultures will work), and stirred the yogurt into the crock of milk, put the lid on, and sat it in the (turned off!!) oven for eight hours.

Voila, yogurt! It was pretty soft, but I fixed that by draining part of it and heck, we just ate the rest.

The trick to yogurt is to keep it at the correct temperature and avoid jostling it for those eight hours that it needs to culture and set.

Hope you feel better, darlin!
The Following User Says Thank You to Bit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2010, 08:18 PM   #45
Daryn
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
genderqueer leaning male
Preferred Pronoun?:
he/ze
Relationship Status:
open to persuasion.....

Daryn Has the BEST ReputationDaryn Has the BEST ReputationDaryn Has the BEST ReputationDaryn Has the BEST ReputationDaryn Has the BEST ReputationDaryn Has the BEST ReputationDaryn Has the BEST ReputationDaryn Has the BEST ReputationDaryn Has the BEST ReputationDaryn Has the BEST ReputationDaryn Has the BEST Reputation

Does anyone have a shortbread recipe? It's strawberry season on Oregon. And I am thinking of a splurge on the long weekend...... (the whipped cream on the shortcake and berries is the splurge).
Daryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:34 PM   #46
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Thanked 7,097 Times in 2,322 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

That's interesting. Thanks for sharing this, Bit!

I have a tough time eating yogurt. Something about the taste, bleh. However, I've tinkered around until I found a smoothie recipe I like.... It helps me get the right stuff in for breakfast. I'm not so good at measuring. I just go by what tastes good to me, so here it is:

- about a cup of ice
- 1 tablespoon of fat free vanilla pudding mix
- few tablespoons of fat free plain yogurt
- fresh fruit (whatever is on hand) my favorites: mango, peach, strawberry, banana, oranges, tangerines
- orange juice (or I really like a mango-peach-orange juice, too)

Throw it all in the blender, mix, get chilled glass, a straw, and enjoy!

Quote:
....or a pillbug. well, except it's not black.

I got nuthin' good today except that for dessert, we're gonna have berries and yogurt. I like it sweetened so I mixed honey with the yogurt, and I always sweeten the berries as well.

Oh wait, Ursy, you asked about yogurt, didn't you? Yes, I have made my own. I read a lot of how-to blogs for making it in a crockpot and finally decided to experiment. I scalded 8 cups (half a gallon) of milk on the stove (used a meat thermometer to make sure it hit 180 degrees), then let it cool to 110 (again used the thermometer). I had heated a clean crock from my crockpot by filling it with steaming hot water, and I also preheated my oven to "warm" then turned it off.

Once the milk cooled to 110, I dumped the water out of the crock and poured the milk in. Then I mixed a little of the warm milk into a cup of Greek yogurt (any yogurt with active cultures will work), and stirred the yogurt into the crock of milk, put the lid on, and sat it in the (turned off!!) oven for eight hours.

Voila, yogurt! It was pretty soft, but I fixed that by draining part of it and heck, we just ate the rest.

The trick to yogurt is to keep it at the correct temperature and avoid jostling it for those eight hours that it needs to culture and set.

Hope you feel better, darlin!
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fancy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2010, 09:49 PM   #47
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Daryn, do you mean shortbread or shortcake? *puzzled* Shortbread would be wonderful, I think, but a really different flavor and texture than shortcake.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:37 AM   #48
Ursy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Engaged

Ursy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST Reputation

Thank you for the yoghurt recipe Cath - I've heard you can make it in the crock pot so I might give it a whirl one of these days.

Freckle-K, have you tried greek yoghurt? The really thick and creamy stuff. It's divine, and I think it's milder in yoghurty taste.

Daryn, if you meant shortbread, this recipe might interest you - it's super easy and really good. The base is very shortbready. I think you might be able to substitute the lemon in the recipe for strawberries, it will just be less tangy, is all. http://crepesofwrath.net/2009/02/13/lemon-bars/
Old 05-25-2010, 06:48 AM   #49
Ursy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Engaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxnrope View Post
I am enjoying this thread. Hope to see, and post, some low carb/glycemic recipes.
I'm not sure, but I'm hoping this recipe fits the bill.

It's a new favourite of ours, really simple and really yummy. If you're on a budget, I don't think the recipe would suffer if you used less chicken, or even no chicken - provided your stock has enough flavour to start with. I also didn't have any mint (don't cook with it much), and we still loved it.

I can't link to the site because the URL doesn't work - maybe the page has moved.

Greek Lemon Chicken Soup - Avgolemono

Makes about 8 cups, serving 6 to 8.
Homemade chicken stock gives this soup the best flavor and body; in a pinch, use low-sodium canned chicken broth. The longer the final soup cooks after the eggs have been added, the thicker it becomes. About 5 minutes of heating produces a soft, velvety texture; any longer and the soup begins to turn pasty. Scallions and fresh mint, individually or together, make simple and flavorful garnishes. Serve the soup immediately; it thickens to a gravylike consistency when reheated.

Ingredients
2 quarts (1.9l) chicken stock , preferably homemade (see related recipe)
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 12 ounces total), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 cup long grain white rice
1 bay leaf
4 green cardamom pods , crushed, or 2 whole cloves
12 lemon zest strips (about 1-inch x 4-inch pieces), from 1 1/2 medium lemons, see illustration below
1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
2 large eggs , preferably at room temperature
2 large egg yolks , preferably at room temperature
1/4 cup lemon juice from zested lemons
1 large scallion , sliced thin, and/or 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint

Instructions

1. Bring chicken stock to boil in medium nonreactive saucepan over high heat. Add chicken, rice, bay leaf, cloves or cardamom, lemon zest, and salt; reduce heat to medium and simmer until rice is tender and stock is aromatic from lemon zest, 16 to 20 minutes. With slotted spoon, remove and discard bay leaf, cloves or cardamom, and zest strips; increase heat to high and return stock to boil, then reduce heat to low.

2. Whisk eggs, yolks, and lemon juice lightly in medium nonreactive bowl until combined. Whisking constantly, slowly ladle about 2 cups hot stock into egg mixture; whisk until combined. Pour egg-stock mixture back into saucepan; cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until soup is slightly thickened and wisps of steam appear, 4 to 5 minutes. Do not simmer or boil. Divide soup among serving bowls, sprinkle with scallion and/or mint; serve immediately.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:18 AM   #50
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Thanked 7,097 Times in 2,322 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by urs View Post
Thank you for the yoghurt recipe Cath - I've heard you can make it in the crock pot so I might give it a whirl one of these days.

Freckle-K, have you tried greek yoghurt? The really thick and creamy stuff. It's divine, and I think it's milder in yoghurty taste.

Daryn, if you meant shortbread, this recipe might interest you - it's super easy and really good. The base is very shortbready. I think you might be able to substitute the lemon in the recipe for strawberries, it will just be less tangy, is all. http://crepesofwrath.net/2009/02/13/lemon-bars/
Yeah, I just tried some yesterday, and it didn't go over so well. I guess I'll stick to hiding it in my smoothies. Somehow, blending it all together makes it better.

Not until recently did I find the usefulness of buying plain yogurt in bulk. It's less expensive for sure than individual cups. Plus, there are so many recipes that it works with. That was something new to me...
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:46 PM   #51
Daryn
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
genderqueer leaning male
Preferred Pronoun?:
he/ze
Relationship Status:
open to persuasion.....

Daryn Has the BEST ReputationDaryn Has the BEST ReputationDaryn Has the BEST ReputationDaryn Has the BEST ReputationDaryn Has the BEST ReputationDaryn Has the BEST ReputationDaryn Has the BEST ReputationDaryn Has the BEST ReputationDaryn Has the BEST ReputationDaryn Has the BEST ReputationDaryn Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Daryn, do you mean shortbread or shortcake? *puzzled* Shortbread would be wonderful, I think, but a really different flavor and texture than shortcake.
I meant shortcake. I was typing while more tired than I thought I was. Thanks for catching this.

And can this be made in a toaster oven?
Daryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:29 PM   #52
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryn View Post
And can this be made in a toaster oven?
If your cake pan fits in your toaster oven, and if your toaster oven will hold a steady temperature, yes.

I don't have a good shortcake recipe because I discovered the joy of southern style strawberry shortcake--on biscuits! Hm. I went to King Arthur Flour to get you a "real" shortcake recipe---they're all biscuits too! lol! This is cracking me up... everywhere I look, the recipes are biscuits!

here's one from allrecipes.com. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/scrumptious-strawberry-shortcake/detail.aspx

That's a biscuit-type recipe too, but it should bake okay in a toaster oven.

Now if you mean "shortcake" like I grew up with, those round light actual cakes, they're really sponge cake baked like flat cupcakes.

Once I had strawberry shortcake on a biscuit, I never looked back, lol.... here's my latest recipe (probably not toaster-ovenable because of the high heat).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lemon Cardamom Biscuits

1/4 cup lemon juice
3 drops lemon extract (that bottle's gonna last me a lonnnnggg time, lol)
1 cup milk
Measure into large cup and let sour.

3 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon cardamom
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 Tablespoon baking powder
Mix all dry ingredients thoroughly.

2 1/2 Tablespoons butter (I do mean real butter--the difference is phenomenal)
Cut in until particles are evenly fine and no lumps remain.

Stir in sour milk until all flour is incorporated. Drop by large spoonfuls onto a greased baking sheet. Bake at 450 F until the peaks are just barely browned. (Turn the baking sheet once if necessary to ensure they cook evenly.)

Remove from sheet, split, butter, and top with sliced, sugared berries and homemade whipped cream.

Makes 12.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:48 AM   #53
Ursy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Engaged

Some of you might be interested in this post from Chowhound... some good ideas there!

>>Eating like a Chowhound on $3 a day<<
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ursy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2010, 11:44 PM   #54
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Default Review: Pinzon Pasta Machine

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-FJ150-Pinzon-5-9-Inch-Pasta/dp/B001CGMKA4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1275196521&sr=8-4"]Amazon.com: Pinzon 5-9-Inch Pasta Maker: Home & Garden[/ame]

(I paid $32 for this; the price has gone down to $25 this weekend.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They told me so, y'all. I read the reviews in amazon.com and it was clear that the handle falls out. Someone said it was cheaply made. I said to myself, "I'll be aware and careful with the handle, and hey, it looks pretty solid to me." I didn't have the hundred bucks to get an Atlas... so I sprang for the Pinzon.

You get what you pay for. I'd have been happier with a tortilla press for $15. But hey, I wanted to make tortillas AND pasta.

The first thing I discovered is that the clamp doesn't work at ALL. Here's the thing about cheaply made: it isn't limited to flimsy, like I was thinking. It can also cover improperly sized holes, so that the clamp won't screw to the countertop. It can cover a handle that fell out no less than twenty times while I was being careful and landed on the floor every single time--well, except that one time it landed on the dog.

Cheaply made also covers things like noodle and spaghetti cutters that DON'T cut, and that are wider at one end so that the noodles are not an even thickness. It took me longer to pull the noodles apart than it did to run them through the machine in the first place.

Cheaply made also covers things like the holes on the dial not being lined up with the numbers, so that you never know exactly what thickness you're using; and things like cleaning instructions that refer to non-existent plastic parts.

There is no actual manual, just an instruction sheet with vague photos and an admonition to never wash the machine, and the aforementioned reference to non-existent parts.

My test run of tortillas was almost a disaster, but I finally realized that I needed to run them through in a specific pattern, and stretch them by hand after they came out of the machine. They tasted fine and the texture was what I expected, even if the sizes and shapes were a little wonky.

The noodles, on the other hand, did not have the texture I expected until I ran them through several times on succeedingly thinner settings. Since Gryph likes thick noodles--one reason to make them at home--being forced to use the thinner settings was a problem, and also made some of the noodle sheets waaay too long for easy handling.

The cutter thicknesses are not adjustable--how it comes is how it is.

It definitely takes two people and four hands to catch the noodles as you feed the dough through. This may be mostly due to inexperience, but at least part of it is due to the sheets being so thin and therefore long.

All in all, it would have been less work to buy the tortilla press and just slice the flattened dough into noodles with kitchen scissors or a paring knife. I suspect it would be easy enough to put logs of dough into a press and get flat oblongs for easy slicing.

I won't ever buy a Pinzon product again.

I also won't ever buy storebought noodles again--as bad as this product is, it still saved my wrists considerable wear and tear... but what sold me?

The first batch of fresh homemade noodles, rolled, "cut" and then separated right into boiling broth. FOODGASM. Seriously--foodgasm.

Last edited by Bit; 05-29-2010 at 11:46 PM. Reason: formatting--sorry about the wonky link!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2010, 11:50 PM   #55
Ursy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Engaged

Bummer! Does Amazon have a returns policy? That sounds like a definite candidate for a return. Then I'd get the tortilla press and save some money.

Thanks love for the comprehensive review
The Following User Says Thank You to Ursy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2010, 11:55 PM   #56
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Dunno, Ursy, but yanno what, I'm willing to deal with the thing for now. I figure I'll find ways to work around all the problems eventually.... and I really honestly cannot use a rolling pin right now. My wrists are almost as bad as they were before I had surgery, and I have to stop doing the things that inflame them.

Maybe I'm too stubborn for my own good. I just know that I need the thing so I can make breakfast tomorrow, and then supper tomorrow night and breakfast the next morning, yanno? *sheepish smile*
Old 05-30-2010, 12:07 AM   #57
Ursy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Engaged

I'm sure you'll figure out its quirks, you're tricky like that

And it looked so nice and shiny and sturdy in the pic!

It's so disappointing when you're waiting for some really cool kitchen gadget, and it arrives, and then it turns out to be crap.

I just had that experience with a julienne peeler. The tips of the cutting blades were bent over. I thought it must be some kind of manufacturing defect, but the replacement was just the same. Had to conclude that it was just a piece of crap!

I find the use of the word "quality" these days is such that it no longer means anything at all!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ursy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2010, 05:39 PM   #58
rlin

How Do You Identify?:
human

Thanked 1,190 Times in 451 Posts
rlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputation

Howdy frugal folks.
Ive been stalking this thread for a while now and this weekend my mom dug an old recipe out of her stash that was so simple and so good that I figured i could share with the rest of yas.

this is either called
Better Than Sex Cake
or
Fudge Pudding Cake

it is reminiscent of a lava cake...
really easy, cheap, and flippin tasty!
i found this same recipe on cooks.com

1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp. cocoa
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup milk
2 tbsp. shortening, melted*
1 cup finely chopped nuts (optional)
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup cocoa
1 3/4 cups hot water

In a mixing bowl, measure flour, sugar, 2 tbsp. cocoa, baking powder and salt. Blend in milk and shortening; stir in nuts.

Pour into an ungreased 9x9x2-inch square baking pan.

Stir together brown sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa; sprinkle over batter. Pour hot water over the batter. Do not stir!

Bake@350degrees for 30-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake (not the pudding) comes out clean.

i used self rising flour and instead of the crisco i used salted butter... i also decided on dark brown sugar... it was yum but i think next time i will use light brown...

the cake acts like a cobbler so the puddin goes to the bottom... its a spoon cake... wow... with some vanilla bean icecream... holy shit it was good.

try it
rlin
rlin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rlin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2010, 03:09 PM   #59
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

OOOOPSIE...

So y'all might have seen that we are doing the Big Re-Do over at That House, moving furniture, changing rooms around.

I unpacked a box yesterday, searching for something which I didn't find, probably because the contents didn't match the label. It had probably been repacked a couple times along the way last year.

One of the things I DID find?

Gram Kae's noodle recipe.

<insert eNNNOOORRRRmous blush here>

Um, whoever came up with the noodle recipe I thought was my gramma's, I am sincerely sorry. I probably found it on the internet.

The odd thing is, I made gram's noodle recipe (without realizing that's what it was) the other night out of desperation--I was out of milk--and *whispers* I didn't like it near as much as I like the other one.

SO, for Gram Kae's noodle recipe:

2 cups flour
2 eggs
1/3 cup water
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup flour, plus extra for kneading

Beat eggs water and salt with a fork till very foamy. Slowly mix in 2 cups flour and continue beating with fork; knead in up to 1 cup additional flour if necessary, to make a stiff dough. Roll out with plenty of flour. "Makes enough for 2 big noodle sheets."

This was a woman who stretched strudel dough until it draped like a tablecloth; what her idea of "big" was I do not know... but if you're not feeding five hungry children, you might wish to halve the recipe the first time!
Old 06-10-2010, 03:21 PM   #60
Mitmo01

How Do You Identify?:
Disobedient Thing...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Rebel Soul in the blood..Heathen as well
Relationship Status:
Marked and Loved....I Belong to Her....

Thanked 1,354 Times in 579 Posts
Mitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST Reputation

this thread is stirring up my appetite something fierce lol
Mitmo01 is offline   Reply With Quote