Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 07-18-2010, 10:15 PM   #101
Ursy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Engaged

Ursy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST Reputation

Ooh, I'm surprised that it's still so expensive for you guys, Cath - even more expensive than it is for us!

I just love maple syrup, the flavour is gorgeous. I use it a lot in cooking, particularly as a substitute for honey because I don't care for honey too much.

I found a recipe for maple candy in my travels, but I don't have a candy thermometer, and maybe it's safer for our waistlines if I just don't go there anyway. Already flirting with disaster with the maple butter - lol...

Maybe I'll look online and see if there are cheaper options here in Australia too - I'm pretty sure Amazon wouldn't ship their maple syrup here.
Ursy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ursy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2010, 10:32 PM   #102
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,264 Posts
Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

Hi brayanaustin, welcome to the Planet and to the frugal gourmet thread!
Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:02 AM   #103
femmennoir

How Do You Identify?:
femme, naturellement
Preferred Pronoun?:
Elle
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 1,223 Times in 478 Posts
femmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputation

Aren't we being frugal these days? By the way I am looking for heirloom recipes for unusual pickles, chutneys and relishes! Any contributions? I have several dozens jars and I mean to fill them with summer delights to put some sun into my winter meals! I would like to find a great recipe for pear relish (used to have a fabulous one, still in storage with my stuff in California)...Summer is the perfect time to be frugal don't you think??

Elle*
And your heart, as it was then, will be on fire.

Anna Akhmatova "White nights"
femmennoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:06 PM   #104
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

Day before yesterday I baked two big roasting chickens....we had them for dinner with mashed potatoes and corn.

That night, I made the leftover breast meat into chicken salad (that's about 4 or 5 sandwiches or late night snacks for Scoote)...and the rest of the carcasses went into the soup pot to turn into stock.

Late night....separate the meat from the stock. Both into the fridge.

Today (cuz I was busy yesterday), I'm making a huge dutch oven full of my son's favorite cream of chicken and rice soup. We'll have it with biscuits tonight.

So...two chickens (big ones, I admit)....we'll get dinner for 4, all that chicken salad for Scoote, and probably 10 or 12 good bowls of soup.

Not bad for $12 (they were on sale)
Old 10-14-2010, 10:50 PM   #105
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,264 Posts
Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

Oh, that's lovely Jo!

Suash has finally come down to 99 cents a pound, so I have two in the fridge... but I can't cut them open! Sheesh! I guess Gryph and I will have to enjoy them when he has a day off and can cut them in half. Next Tuesday is supposed to be cold and rainy. They'll be really nice then!
Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:40 PM   #106
rlin

How Do You Identify?:
human

Thanked 1,190 Times in 451 Posts
rlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputation

my garden went sort of crazy with the viney types of veggies this year... so i made lots of pickles...
i just made simple fridge or freezer pickles... a little vinegar a little sugar and whatever else you may want for flavor... i used some celery seed. variety peppercorns. sweet onion rings. and jalepeno... tossed some cilantro in some to see what would happen... it was pretty good... of course... a lot of garlic too...
anyway.. not only did i pickle cukes... i also had lots of summer squash and zucchini so i made pickles with them too... i have to say... i really enjoyed them... hell... i am still enjoying them... it doesnt take long for them to set and they have been holding up really well still..

maybe had 5bucks total in about 3 gallons of pickles...
rlin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rlin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2010, 04:36 AM   #107
Ursy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Engaged

Ursy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST Reputation

Hey kids!

I made this tonight, because the blog post I got it from (link below) kinda raved about it, and because we have to watch it until pay day, and because I had all of the ingredients at home already, and because it was quick and easy.

To be honest, I read it and was a bit iffy. I thought it might be a bit boring. It's not really the kind of dinner I usually put together. But it was really good and I'm going to get the ingredients to keep in the pantry for the next day when I'm too tired to really think about dinner or have to be frugal.

I'd say it fed the three of us for under $5.00.

P.S. I don't think I added quite as much water as the recipe said though. I just thought it might end up a bit soupy if I did.

Cavatappi with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Cannellini Beans.

http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2007/0...nner_im_a.html
Ursy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ursy For This Useful Post: