Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 12-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #21
ahk
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,579 Times in 2,649 Posts
ahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputation

Great thread.

We have 3 pups (Zoey (Pup mix,13), Baxter Bailey (Pekingnese mix (13), and Henry (Terrier/Poodle mix, 2). My older dogs don't really like to chew on anything, they aren't into toys much either. Zoey has a lot of issues with food, she likes to eat -- so instead of giving her lots of "cookies" she gets raw veggies (her favourite are sweet potatoes, carrots, brocolli, and green beans).

We feed our pups [COLOR="rgb(154, 205, 50)"]http://nutrisca.dogswell.com[/COLOR]/, its a grain free, potato free, corn free diet. They love the lamb and/or salmon the best. When I fed them other brands, they tended to fart a lot or poop a lot or gain lots of extra weight. Also skin problems was a huge thing for BB. So far this food has been the best--

As far as treats -- raw veggies, treats that I make for them (veggies, chicken, fish, almond butter) stuff like that. Sometimes they'll get a these [COLOR="rgb(154, 205, 50)"]cranberry [/COLOR]treats or salmon.

As far as extra nutrients they get -- [COLOR="rgb(154, 205, 50)"]Cranimals[/COLOR] and probiotics.

Our cat-- she's the same way-- but minus the treats. She eats B.G.
ahk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ahk For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2012, 07:13 PM   #22
Hollylane
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 26,373 Times in 5,877 Posts
Hollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST Reputation

I always gave my big boy, Count Basie, raw soup bones, or knuckle bones. Since he spent a lot of time indoors, it was necessary for him to have a "chew rug", so that it wasn't a bloody mess (figuratively and literally). These bones lasted him at least 3 days.

My boys now, spoiled, yes indeed. However, giving them treats has become mostly a thing of the past (other than baked canned prescription food). Without the right diet, Obi ends up having surgery. He develops oxalate crystals that gather in his bladder, and then travel up to block his urethra. Once they have developed, they are only resolved by surgical removal.

Alas, the days of making the raw diet (which they adore), have ended. There is research out there that shows that a low oxalate raw diet will prevent, and even dissolve (something vets say is not possible) the crystals, but the diet is difficult to achieve, and it reads like a science formula. So, both boys (Lhasas) are now on the low oxalate prescription diet.
Hollylane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hollylane For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #23
SleepyButch

How Do You Identify?:
Dude
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him
Relationship Status:
Taken

Thanked 11,244 Times in 2,753 Posts
SleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST Reputation

My two kids are definitely spoiled. I prefer it that way and so do they... lol.

I usually have many beds and blankets all over the place. One of them is a whippet and the other is a whippet mix so they have short hair and get cold easily in the winter time. They really like the cozy cave. I don't know if anyone has a pup that likes to burrow under the covers but if you do, this bed is the best for that. They also have pajamas that they wear to keep them warm.

As far as food goes, I am currently feeding Natural Balance LID chicken/sweet potato but I'm thinking of changing.

These are not my dogs but you get the picture... literally.

Cozy cave:

Pajamas:

You cannot embrace those things that will not embrace you back.
SleepyButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SleepyButch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #24
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

The chihuaha is very pissed off

1) it's winter

2) great dane puppy
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2012, 07:36 PM   #25
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,893 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahk View Post
As far as extra nutrients they get -- [COLOR="rgb(154, 205, 50)"]Cranimals[/COLOR] and probiotics.
Excellent! I was looking for something along the anti-oxidant line for my dog. I ordered the Verry Berry from another web site. Thank you!

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #26
sharkchomp

How Do You Identify?:
TG/stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 1,341 Times in 309 Posts
sharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
LOL.. they do have personalities, eh? Ours love little carrots. They go apeshit over them when ever we bring him a bag of those tiny carrots. They will try every trick we've taught them (Fawnda in particular) to get one. What I mean is if I have a carrot or two in my hand Fawnda will sit, shake paw, spin, lie down, roll over and play dead (especially the hammy dead of all four paws stuck up awkwardly in the air) to convince me that they should have the carrot(s).
That sounds really cute! They really are expressive!!!! I think my dogs think carrots are tricks. Scooby doesn't get mad at me though. He's just like, "what else you got?" But Vegas gives me a "eat poop and die" look better than any person I've ever seen!!! LOL

~~~shark~~~~~~~

take a fish boating
sharkchomp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sharkchomp For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2012, 05:59 PM   #27
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation
Default Re: Raw diet

I worry when people give their dogs raw diets or just homemade diets. I understand that it is very complicated and complex to meet all of a dog's nutritional needs on your own.

I am sure some people do it well, but I have been reading more and more about concerns people not doing it well. In those cases, it would be better if the dog was on manufactured food.

I would like to hear thoughts from any raw diet/homemade food people here?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2012, 06:05 PM   #28
SleepyButch

How Do You Identify?:
Dude
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him
Relationship Status:
Taken

Thanked 11,244 Times in 2,753 Posts
SleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST Reputation

I dog sat for a couple of dogs who were strictly on raw food. The owner got it from a local place that did all of the grinding and putting together or whatever the heck they do. Let me tell you... it was disgusting to see a chicken neck hanging out of the dog's mouth.. .not only that but the tripe had a really bad smell to it.. lol

I couldn't do it.

You cannot embrace those things that will not embrace you back.
SleepyButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SleepyButch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2012, 06:09 PM   #29
ButchEire
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanent ban 3/17/2013 - TROLL
Relationship Status:
Partner to my best friend

Thanked 1,874 Times in 485 Posts
ButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST Reputation

As I said previously, I choose not to feed raw from scratch because it is time consuming. Dogs however, have less complex digestive systems and our own human-esque dog foods typically contain ingredients that dogs don't need or can't digest. I have researched canine diets for years, because I have a pug and they are notorious for health issues, most commonly, food allergies. I have had and continue to have support from individuals who breed and own pugs and who also feed their pugs raw and have done so for years with no problems. Of course, any dietary change would cause concern for nutritional composition but I have more concern for the unnecessary additives in commercial dog foods than I ever would in feeding raw/grain free/high quality/etc.. There are a lot of myths associated with raw diets for dogs and this website may help improve understanding of this approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
I worry when people give their dogs raw diets or just homemade diets. I understand that it is very complicated and complex to meet all of a dog's nutritional needs on your own.

I am sure some people do it well, but I have been reading more and more about concerns people not doing it well. In those cases, it would be better if the dog was on manufactured food.

I would like to hear thoughts from any raw diet/homemade food people here?
ButchEire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:09 PM   #30
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyButch View Post
I dog sat for a couple of dogs who were strictly on raw food. The owner got it from a local place that did all of the grinding and putting together or whatever the heck they do. Let me tell you... it was disgusting to see a chicken neck hanging out of the dog's mouth.. .not only that but the tripe had a really bad smell to it.. lol

I couldn't do it.
I just think about the nutrients, vitamins, minerals, blah blah that can be missed. I dunno, maybe if you throw in a multi vitamin you are all good!

Old 12-29-2012, 06:10 PM   #31
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchEire View Post
As I said previously, I choose not to feed raw from scratch because it is time consuming. Dogs however, have less complex digestive systems and our own human-esque dog foods typically contain ingredients that dogs don't need or can't digest. I have researched canine diets for years, because I have a pug and they are notorious for health issues, most commonly, food allergies. I have had and continue to have support from individuals who breed and own pugs and who also feed their pugs raw and have done so for years with no problems. Of course, any dietary change would cause concern for nutritional composition but I have more concern for the unnecessary additives in commercial dog foods than I ever would in feeding raw/grain free/high quality/etc.. There are a lot of myths associated with raw diets for dogs and this website may help improve understanding of this approach.
Great! This is why I asked. I don't want to make assumptions. Thanks for the response.

ETA: ButchEire, Do you think that there are a number of raw food diet makers who do not do this well? That are missing things?

Last edited by DapperButch; 12-29-2012 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Added question.
The Following User Says Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2012, 06:12 PM   #32
ButchEire
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:

ButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST Reputation

One myth associated with raw dog food diets is that they rely solely on meat and meat products. This is not the case and raw fed dogs are also typically fed vegetables, fish, eggs, yogurt and raw bones which all supply nutrients not found in meats. It's about variety, even in a raw diet.

Quote:
I just think about the nutrients, vitamins, minerals, blah blah that can be missed. I dunno, maybe if you throw in a multi vitamin you are all good!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ButchEire For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2012, 06:21 PM   #33
ButchEire
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:

From my experience, I think that commercial raw dog food probably has less nutritional value than home made, because it isn't served immediately. Nutritional degradation occurs in any food left for any period of time prior to consumption. Missing nutrients? I'd say that would be a risk if you are feeding the same food from the same manufacturer every day, raw or otherwise. Personally, I rotate vegetables and the kind of high-grade kibble I feed, to increase nutrient variety. It's not a perfect science. Heck, even we as humans occasionally have a tendency to eat the same things daily.

Quote:
Great! This is why I asked. I don't want to make assumptions. Thanks for the response.

ETA: ButchEire, Do you think that there are a number of raw food diet makers who do not do this well? That are missing things?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ButchEire For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #34
christie

How Do You Identify?:
A Force with which to be reckoned
Preferred Pronoun?:
just be nice...
Relationship Status:
I call her Mine

Thanked 2,476 Times in 706 Posts
christie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputation
Default Spoiled dog?? Say it ain't so!!! (LOL)

Felix, our "only-child" Airedale, is the epitome of spoiled. He's just turned 21 months old and weighs in around 95-100lbs. He is certainly a "typical" Airedale, chock full o'personality. He is incredibly intelligent, very food motivated (which helps with training - he can have "selective" hearing) and I have managed to fall so very in love with our silly boy, in a short amount of time.

He came to us at the end of April through the NW Airedale Rescue, and his diet left a lot to be desired - not because I am knocking the cheaper pet foods, but because he had some gastro issues that made curbing him rather gross. We do feed him a grain-free food (Nature's Domain Turkey Sweet Potato - Costco) and his treats are knuckle bones, twisted pork skins and Blue Dog Bakery cookies. M.A. also bakes dog cookies, but when we catch them on sale, the Blue Dogs are just as good.

We've tried the hooves and he loses interest. Kongs? Pulleeezzeeee - he puts the "power" in power-chewer. We have a couple of bones that we fill with peanut butter and toss in the freezer - he has to work longer to get it all out.

He loves raw veggies - I learned quickly that he adores cucumbers, carrots and sweet potatoes. I had the makings for a cucumber salad on the butcher block, left the room and came back to his having eaten three whole cucumbers!

Having come through rescue, you're never sure what kind of issues you may come across - we're so lucky that he has such a sweet disposition and is very social. He has a fan club at the dog park and a "girl friend" Lucy, at the dog-sitter. He comes to my office a couple of times a week and everyone just loves to see him come bounding in the door.

Its really fun to watch his personality develop - he has recently started being more vocal - not barking, but more grumbling and warbling. He just keeps me laughing.

He must know I am typing about him - he has just brought his "baby" and nosed it into my lap... that's my cue for play time!

christie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to christie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2012, 07:12 PM   #35
ArtistLady

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Single

ArtistLady Has the BEST ReputationArtistLady Has the BEST ReputationArtistLady Has the BEST ReputationArtistLady Has the BEST ReputationArtistLady Has the BEST ReputationArtistLady Has the BEST ReputationArtistLady Has the BEST ReputationArtistLady Has the BEST ReputationArtistLady Has the BEST ReputationArtistLady Has the BEST ReputationArtistLady Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by christie View Post

He came to us at the end of April through the NW Airedale Rescue, and his diet left a lot to be desired - not because I am knocking the cheaper pet foods, but because he had some gastro issues that made curbing him rather gross. We do feed him a grain-free food (Nature's Domain Turkey Sweet Potato - Costco) and his treats are knuckle bones, twisted pork skins and Blue Dog Bakery cookies. M.A. also bakes dog cookies, but when we catch them on sale, the Blue Dogs are just as good.
Rescue dogs are the best! I volunteer for two different shelters and I have not found rescues to be any more prone to any issues (behavioral or physical) than dogs from breeders. Actually quite the opposite. I have learned from working with rescues that most breeders are not to be trusted unfortunately and the dogs suffer as a result. I am not saying all, just most. Plus, dogs are intelligent and seem to know they have been rescued and are appreciative!

I just received a Costco membership for Christmas. How is that food working out for your dog? I have been buying Blue Dog food but it is costly. I have small dogs (Jack Russell Terrier and Chihuahua) is it in big pieces? I also buy Blue Dog Bakery cookies! I make homemade cookies for them but they go through them really fast so I keep the Blue Dog cookies as backup.
ArtistLady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ArtistLady For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2012, 07:30 PM   #36
ArtistLady

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Single

ArtistLady Has the BEST ReputationArtistLady Has the BEST ReputationArtistLady Has the BEST ReputationArtistLady Has the BEST ReputationArtistLady Has the BEST ReputationArtistLady Has the BEST ReputationArtistLady Has the BEST ReputationArtistLady Has the BEST ReputationArtistLady Has the BEST ReputationArtistLady Has the BEST ReputationArtistLady Has the BEST Reputation

Also, is anyone familiar with the website?
http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/
ArtistLady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ArtistLady For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #37
Bard
Family Man

How Do You Identify?:
TG Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones
Relationship Status:
She just gets me

Thanked 12,786 Times in 2,431 Posts
Bard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST Reputation

we have two both are rescues Phoebe our Whippet- Jack Russel and Gracie a Sheppard - Terrier mix Phoebe cane destroy a toy in seconds flat they both love the snow and bound all over even Grace even with having only 3 good legs gets around very well and can almost catch Phoebe .. almost or Phoebe is letting her. Phoebe is very nervous around people and Grace is the protector they both love to cuddle and even know when I get ready for work that they go to their beds I made Phoebes bed for her when we got her.. spoiled or babies never
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure. Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh - erotic nightmares beyond any measure, and sensual daydreams to treasure forever. Can't you just see it? Don't dream it, be it.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bard For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2012, 08:02 PM   #38
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,793 Times in 3,939 Posts
Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

My Sadie is a Lab mix and a rescue from a high kill shelter.

I feed her Taste of the Wild. I also buy 1lb. rolls of lean ground turkey and mix it with chopped garlic, raw oats, Parmesan cheese and whatever raw veggies I have available at the time and mix it all up and make three logs, and bake at 325 for about 45 min. Two go into the freezer after cooling and one is refrigerated for use. About 3 nights a week, I'll give her a third of the log in her food dish with her dry food, which I've cut back a bit for that night. She loves it! For treats she mostly gets dehydrated liver that has various veggies added. The bag she is on now has sweet potato and broccoli added to it. I've had to teach her to eat veggies, but now she loves getting the odd bite of raw veggie when I am cooking. She gets shed deer or elk antlers for gnawing, they keep her busy and keep her teeth clean, they also do not splinter easily.
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2012, 01:15 AM   #39
christie

How Do You Identify?:
A Force with which to be reckoned
Preferred Pronoun?:
just be nice...
Relationship Status:
I call her Mine

Thanked 2,476 Times in 706 Posts
christie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtistLady View Post
Rescue dogs are the best! I volunteer for two different shelters and I have not found rescues to be any more prone to any issues (behavioral or physical) than dogs from breeders. Actually quite the opposite. I have learned from working with rescues that most breeders are not to be trusted unfortunately and the dogs suffer as a result. I am not saying all, just most. Plus, dogs are intelligent and seem to know they have been rescued and are appreciative!

I just received a Costco membership for Christmas. How is that food working out for your dog? I have been buying Blue Dog food but it is costly. I have small dogs (Jack Russell Terrier and Chihuahua) is it in big pieces? I also buy Blue Dog Bakery cookies! I make homemade cookies for them but they go through them really fast so I keep the Blue Dog cookies as backup.

Felix is just one of many rescues I've had over the years and that he ONLY didn't have any training and was (is) still very puppylike in a lot of aspects was fortunate, in my experience. Maybe my previous rescues were just more challenging due to the extremes they had experienced! Its good to hear that the majority are rather resilient and have happy outcomes.

We're really pleased with the Nature's Domain. In comparison to one of the other spendy name-brand dog foods, the ingredients and nutrition levels were exactly the same (I can't remember the one we compared to - it might have been Taste of the Wild, but I am not certain). For the price, I'm all about it.

The other things you might find at Costco are the rolled pork skins and the bully sticks. They've been out of both for a while, but like with a lot of things, its kinda hit and miss. We need the jumbo dog beds, and for $20, they hold up REALLY well.
christie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to christie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2012, 06:43 AM   #40
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Thanked 8,994 Times in 2,249 Posts
Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchEire View Post
We have a 13 year old pug and a younger (maybe 7?) jackahuahua and they get what I call a "modified" raw diet. A true raw diet is prohibitive at this time, mainly due to the time needed for preparation. Instead, the dogs get Nature's Instinct grain-free kibble with raw pieces. Pugs are notoriously allergic dogs and pug Winston's allergy is to grains, so he can't have any. On top of the kibble, they also get cooked chicken breast and a frozen vegetable (broccoli, peas, cauliflower, etc.). For chewing, they get the very occasional raw meaty bone from the butcher. Raw bones don't splinter, only cooked ones do and pugs also cannot have rawhide because their digestive systems don't handle it well. Winston's treats typically consist of raw baby tomatoes and he rarely gets any biscuits. The dogs also get digestive enzymes, flaxseed oil and Winston gets milk thistle and a holistic remedy for Cushing's disease. Spoiled? Sure, but my belief is that it saves on vet bills and it seems to work. At 13, Winston still runs around the yard!
Natures Instinct makes the raw organic frozen patties and its excellent. If you have a small dog this food will extend their life. I buy it and add to kibble and feed dogs that have allergies and skin issues. I wish I could afford to feed it to all the dogs.

I do grow quite a bit of organic produce and I also juice greens. I mix the pulp into my dogs food and give it to my chickens. Chopping up and giving your dogs raw organic greens and certain veggies is very healthy for them.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sachita For This Useful Post: