Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Thinking Harder

Old 07-28-2016, 07:34 PM   #1
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,960 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default The USA is the greatest country in the world??

It has been stated that the USA is the greatest country on earth! Is it? Why? What about other countries?

It's something people get passionate about, but let's all try to listen and be respectful of individual views and opinions.

What say you?
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2016, 08:11 PM   #2
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,815 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTinkerbelly View Post
It has been stated that the USA is the greatest country on earth! Is it? Why? What about other countries?

It's something people get passionate about, but let's all try to listen and be respectful of individual views and opinions.

What say you?
I think to say it is the greatest country in the world is pretty xenophobic and arrogant. I can't say it myself.

However, I love America.

It is where I live.

I would not choose to live elsewhere because it is what I know.

America has had plenty of human rights abuses in her history and they continue today. Who could state that it isn't true? Not I.

I would be a fool to say America is without fault.

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2016, 08:23 PM   #3
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,587 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Well if anyone didn't know any better after listening to the speakers at the DNC this week they sure would think so!!
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2016, 09:30 PM   #4
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

From the time I was a small child until today, I have probably heard "America is the greatest country on earth" a million times. Maybe even more!

America as a country is only 240 years old, and in those 240 years we have built a country as big and advanced as any other on earth. Yes, we took the land from the original natives, and yes we imported slaves; I'm pretty sure we could take a day or two and make a huge list of what we have done.

When England was under siege during WW1, who pulled them out of the fire? When the second world war couldn't be won, who dropped the bomb, Who liberated the concentration camps? Who does the world look to for security and protection? For financial bailouts? For taking in their refugees? For educating their children in good colleges?

You know, it's a bit like being brainwashed living here...we don't really learn about other countries in our schools, our local news stations rarely give news from anywhere else, unless we turn on PBS we don't see shows from other countries, and for the most part, we aren't required to learn anything besides English.

Because we are a "new" country that has had to fight for independence, we are like rowdy teenagers that have the gang mentality of this is our hood, and we are the best gang. Think that was needed originally, but now there should be a toning down of the nationalism, because it has become embarrassing.

Imo
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2016, 10:05 PM   #5
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
Well if anyone didn't know any better after listening to the speakers at the DNC this week they sure would think so!!
It was fascinating to watch both conventions; the differences and the similarities!

It was like 2 weeks of generating interest in becoming involved and saving your country for whichever party you indentify with! I am so full of pride in my country I could just burst!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2016, 10:20 PM   #6
Arden

How Do You Identify?:
Female, femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
"and if you help me to start again, you know that I'll be there for you in the end. "

Arden Has the BEST ReputationArden Has the BEST ReputationArden Has the BEST ReputationArden Has the BEST ReputationArden Has the BEST ReputationArden Has the BEST ReputationArden Has the BEST ReputationArden Has the BEST ReputationArden Has the BEST ReputationArden Has the BEST ReputationArden Has the BEST Reputation

I don't think I'd declare any country the greatest. Each country is a collection of citizens, guests and well those with uncertain or undeclared status. People are imperfect being. We all make mistakes, cause hurt/pain and sometimes even screw up royally. How can any country arrogantly claim the title "greatest?"

Perhaps, in the age of technology which makes us more than ever global citizens it is time to put aside a scrambling for a status and instead seek collaboration, cooperation and communication so we can become a planet of people who thrive rather than scattered pockets of extreme wealth, poverty, those barely scrapping by and those blessed enough to call themselves comfortable.

Sadly my sociology background allows me to know such a life is actually quite impossible as the power deferential that comes with varying degrees of education, wealth impacted by nationality and ethnicity actually needed by cultures.....sigh.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:34 PM   #7
TruTexan

How Do You Identify?:
lesbian butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,268 Times in 1,633 Posts
TruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST Reputation

I love this country I live in. I'd die for protecting anyone's rights that live here. I'm proud to be American. I know history is ever changing and for that I'm grateful. Every country has a past they aren't proud of but this country can be proud it's moving forward and has changed a lot through it's years with new laws passed and old ones tossed out. There's always going to be more that needs to be done, but Almost All countries rely on the USA when called to help.
Maybe that's what makes it Great in itself, that we are willing to step up to the plate and help when other countries won't step in.
I wonder why other countries ask the USA for help? Why they rely on us to help them?
Old 07-29-2016, 10:50 AM   #8
Blade
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
TG
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
once in a while someone amazing comes along...and here I am!

Thanked 14,399 Times in 4,049 Posts
Blade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST Reputation

Great topic MsTinkerbelly, gotta come back to it afterwhile

The best way to predict the future, is to create it.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blade For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2016, 11:59 AM   #9
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruTexan View Post
I love this country I live in. I'd die for protecting anyone's rights that live here. I'm proud to be American. I know history is ever changing and for that I'm grateful. Every country has a past they aren't proud of but this country can be proud it's moving forward and has changed a lot through it's years with new laws passed and old ones tossed out. There's always going to be more that needs to be done, but Almost All countries rely on the USA when called to help.
Maybe that's what makes it Great in itself, that we are willing to step up to the plate and help when other countries won't step in.
I wonder why other countries ask the USA for help? Why they rely on us to help them?
Well Tru, you have a good point.

We are asked to defend and protect numerous countries and their peoples, we are a country people want to move to in order to share in the "American Dream", and we are a country that many want to take the lead on global warming and other environmental issues.

But...does that make us the best country ever, or does that make us "saps" for doing so much without equal monetary and troop contributions? I despise Donald Trump, but does he have a point that few others pay their fair share?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2016, 03:01 PM   #10
jools66

How Do You Identify?:
lesbian
Relationship Status:
Married

jools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputation

hi everyone,
i live in the UK.
like someone else said i don't think you can say any one country is the greatest.
looking over the pond at the USA, i think yeah its a great country, but like all countries it as it's faults and good points.
would i live in the USA, i don't think i would.
and the one reason is all the gun crime that is so rapidly growing.
Believe me, i am not complacent in thinking i am safe in the UK.
But it does seem to be getting to breaking point over there.
The USA is way bigger so the troubles are going to be bigger, its just logical.
Its unfair to call one country the greatest, when we cant really make that judgment until we have lived in each country for a very long time.
but i do get that people are proud of they places and countries they live in.
I am very proud to be British, regardless of my opinions of us going out of the EU.
But i could see myself loving other countries just as much.
But that wouldn't make them the greatest in my eyes.
jools66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jools66 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2016, 05:50 PM   #11
TruTexan

How Do You Identify?:
lesbian butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,268 Times in 1,633 Posts
TruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTinkerbelly View Post
Well Tru, you have a good point.

We are asked to defend and protect numerous countries and their peoples, we are a country people want to move to in order to share in the "American Dream", and we are a country that many want to take the lead on global warming and other environmental issues.

But...does that make us the best country ever, or does that make us "saps" for doing so much without equal monetary and troop contributions? I despise Donald Trump, but does he have a point that few others pay their fair share?
What I think is that because the USA probably has one the largest armed forces that is willing to stand up and help that is why we are called upon to do so. We have a large amount of allies with smaller armies that often need our help. Other countries understand that when called upon for help, we often will assist when necessary. I don't know if other countries are able to afford to pay a better share of monies or troop contributions, I don't know their details. I can't honestly say. But if our government knows other countries have the money to afford to help and the troops to send, then yeah I think they should pay out more of a fair share, you can't make them do anything, it's up to them I guess. I am not versed on the laws that govern the United Nations agreements if this is where it comes from, I haven't a clue. I imagine it would come from the UN agreements, as does the Geneva Convention, which you can't make another country respect the laws of it to follow it during war and we all know it's not. There are those countries out there that refuse to do things the way the United Nations has asked, there are those that don't follow The Hague Rules too. Just as China doesn't follow the rules of the law in Hague Courts and keeps military bases stock piled with missiles that was recently on the news no ones talked about. I saw it on Facebook breaking news clip here's the link to the article that was written about the South China Seas and China joining N. Korea declaring war on the US in the South China Seas after the Hague Court ordered them to remove their military capabilities from the islands there. My memory isn't the greatest due to ptsd and anxiety, so please read the article about it. LINK

PS: Trump needs to pay HIS fair share in TAXES!!
Old 07-30-2016, 08:50 AM   #12
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by jools66 View Post
hi everyone,
i live in the UK.
like someone else said i don't think you can say any one country is the greatest.
looking over the pond at the USA, i think yeah its a great country, but like all countries it as it's faults and good points.
would i live in the USA, i don't think i would.
and the one reason is all the gun crime that is so rapidly growing.
Believe me, i am not complacent in thinking i am safe in the UK.
But it does seem to be getting to breaking point over there.
The USA is way bigger so the troubles are going to be bigger, its just logical.
Its unfair to call one country the greatest, when we cant really make that judgment until we have lived in each country for a very long time.
but i do get that people are proud of they places and countries they live in.
I am very proud to be British, regardless of my opinions of us going out of the
EU.
But i could see myself loving other countries just as much.
But that wouldn't make them the greatest in my eyes.
Jools...

I was able to spend several weeks traveling in Wales and England, and my kasey has been 21x for lengths up to 3 months at a time since 1977. We have good friends there, and we talk to them often. England is a fabulous country, full of rich history, a mighty army, universal health
care, gay rights, popular (even here) monarcy and a diverse and beautiful landscape. Yet...we NEVER hear one word about how great the country is from it's people.

Of course, our friends rarely ever complain (stiff upper lip and all), and there is no posturing and little boasting. But when faced with the constant stream of "go USA", why is there no return call of Britin is the best?

I don't think I'm asking this question clearly, but I really am fascinated by our constant bragging and boasting. It's almost like we have to keep talking up the country so we can let people know how great we really are?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2016, 10:19 AM   #13
MasterfulButch

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Charming the love of my life.

MasterfulButch Has the BEST ReputationMasterfulButch Has the BEST ReputationMasterfulButch Has the BEST ReputationMasterfulButch Has the BEST ReputationMasterfulButch Has the BEST ReputationMasterfulButch Has the BEST ReputationMasterfulButch Has the BEST ReputationMasterfulButch Has the BEST ReputationMasterfulButch Has the BEST ReputationMasterfulButch Has the BEST ReputationMasterfulButch Has the BEST Reputation

I’m English and for various reasons I’ve had cause to ponder this question myself with a particular emphasis on comparison between Britain, Canada and the States. I believe all three countries have many things to be proud of but also many which could be improved.

From my perspective, comparing Britain to Canada or the States is like comparing someone in their fifties to someone in their twenties. As a general trend, the twenty year old is much more energetic and is just starting to settle into their own skin. There’s a massive sense of potential and a youthful sense of entitlement that the world is out there for them to discover, that it’s the backdrop for them to turn their dreams into a reality, whether that be personal wealth, meaningful social change or anything else. The twenty year old wants to shout to the world to look out because they’re coming.

The stereotypical character in their fifties is much more reserved. They’ve had more life experience and know that everything can be taken away from you in a second. They know that you have to be prepared to let go of some dreams in order to pursue others and that life is never as black and white as they once imagined. They have had years of having to live with things they wish they’d never done. They are less likely to make proclamations to the world, knowing that deeds, rather than words, are what counts.

Just like a balanced society needs people of all age groups, I think the world needs different cultural approaches like these. The blend makes for a stronger global community and the contrasts can act as a catalyst for growth for nations. To the British, the American inclination to laud themselves can appear arrogant and unappealing. It can undermine their position in the perceptions of others too as usually the better someone is at something, the less they feel the need to tell everyone just how good they are.

At the same time, the British reserve can appear cold and potentially weakens our society where the Americans are united in their open pride. I think both the Americans and Canadians are likely to have a more cohesive society, especially in these times of increasing immigration, because no matter what other differences exist between their citizens, they are united in that strong sense of national pride. Anything that serves to bring people together, to give them a sense of belonging and responsibility to a community is one which is likely to strengthen that group to the benefit of all.

To me, there are no "best" countries but I would particularly celebrate those where the citizens have a strong sense of national pride yet enough humility to look within to seek improvement, conscious that they are a part of a larger whole. Irrelevant of flags, that is the sort of culture I hope will shape our global evolution.

MasterfulButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MasterfulButch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2016, 11:25 AM   #14
C0LLETTE
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Depends on the day.
Preferred Pronoun?:
"I" and "we"
Relationship Status:
Very good. Thank you for asking.

Thanked 15,264 Times in 4,345 Posts
C0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST Reputation

Not easy to discuss this topic without offending someone, so I'll stick to a few things I know ( generally ) about our behaviour here in Canada :

We don't tend to stick little flag decals on our cars, in our windows, or fly flags off our porches ( except for one day at the beginning of July and then back in the attic they go ).

We don't do a lot of pledging allegiance to our flag...not in schools, not anywhere. I'm not even sure we have such a pledge ( I should probably look that up ).

Generally, the only time we sing "Oh Canada " is at hockey and baseball games and largely cause the American opponents are singing their anthem, so we try to sing louder. Most of us only know only one or two verses anyway and very few can sing it in "both official languages."

Strictly speaking, our loudest displays of national pride come during sporting events: World Junior Hockey Championships, almost getting into the baseball world series, and a bronze medal at the Olympics...plus the fact that "no Canada = no "SNL", no John Candy, no "Ghostbusters" and that guy that made "Titanic". Our older citizens still beam with pride at the mention of Marie Dressler ( Her childhood home is a heritage site.)

Our smuggest displays of pride come when Americans mention our marriage laws, our health care system and their desire to come to Canada if things go wonky in the USA...tho we are a bit dismayed that they seldom if ever mention a tourist desire to just visit and spend a few bucks.

And then there's our passports...we don't wave them but just complacently pat our breast pockets as we travel around and think "Who'd want to kill a Canadian?" That's when we plaster our luggage and backpacks with little Canadian flags.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to C0LLETTE For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2016, 10:13 PM   #15
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,722 Times in 5,081 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation

I can't think of a country I'd rather live in than America, and specifically I can't think of a city I'd rather live in than where I live now which is NYC. I also work with immigrants who go through hell to immigrate to the USA to get out of situations of political unrest and violence. I'm curious if others consider their own country the one where they would most like to live or if they'd prefer another country, and if so, why aren't they pursuing it. I feel like I have a lot of freedom to express myself here and enjoy the diversity around me. That means a lot to me, maybe especially as a queer person and a general eccentric.

How do I... ?
Check out the Members Helping Members thread:
http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/foru...embers+Helping
nycfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2016, 12:52 AM   #16
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0LLETTE View Post
Not easy to discuss this topic without offending someone, so I'll stick to a few things I know ( generally ) about our behaviour here in Canada :

We don't tend to stick little flag decals on our cars, in our windows, or fly flags off our porches ( except for one day at the beginning of July and then back in the attic they go ).

We don't do a lot of pledging allegiance to our flag...not in schools, not anywhere. I'm not even sure we have such a pledge ( I should probably look that up ).

Generally, the only time we sing "Oh Canada " is at hockey and baseball games and largely cause the American opponents are singing their anthem, so we try to sing louder. Most of us only know only one or two verses anyway and very few can sing it in "both official languages."

Strictly speaking, our loudest displays of national pride come during sporting events: World Junior Hockey Championships, almost getting into the baseball world series, and a bronze medal at the Olympics...plus the fact that "no Canada = no "SNL", no John Candy, no "Ghostbusters" and that guy that made "Titanic". Our older citizens still beam with pride at the mention of Marie Dressler ( Her childhood home is a heritage site.)

Our smuggest displays of pride come when Americans mention our marriage laws, our health care system and their desire to come to Canada if things go
wonky in the USA...tho we are a bit dismayed that they seldom if ever mention a tourist desire to just visit and spend a few bucks.

And then there's our passports...we don't wave them but just complacently pat our breast pockets as we travel around and think "Who'd want to kill a Canadian?" That's when we plaster our luggage and backpacks with little Canadian flags.
Very interesting comparison of the differences in our "patriotic display" from someone who I know traveled recently through the USA but lives in Canada. We learn very little about other countries during the K-12 process of schooling...heck the dumbing down of America has created a whole generation of our children who know almost nothing of the USA! My daughter made it through high school and all of the tests to matriculate without being able to name most of our states!

I really enjoy living here, and the freedoms I take for granted most days...and I have to say that when I examine my knee jerk reaction of "heck yeah!" to "America is the best", I know I have been well and truly brainwashed and it disturbs me! I really don't want to be an obnoxious American, pitying the people who don't get to live here...but it is so ingrained into everything here! Sigh